Potential PITA Buyers

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Potential PITA Buyers

Post by Steve O. » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:10 am

Ever told someone that a watch was on hold even though it wasn't, just because you can tell that they're going to be a huge pain in the ass if you sell to them?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Re: Potential PITA Buyers

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:39 am

I’ve told someone that it’s for sale, but not to them.

bnabod

Post by bnabod » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:31 am

No but there are plenty of PITAs out there. I reserve the right to pass on them.
Is this 2002 watch in pristine condition without a single mark on the case?? , can I have it for 75% off your advertised price or can I trade you my Guess watch + cash for it.

Aaron Shapiro
Name: Aaron Shapiro

Post by Aaron Shapiro » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:07 am

No... but I've told folks that I am choosing to decline to sell to them as a result of their behavior. Straight up.

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Post by blkgsl » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:25 am

“I don’t think this watch will please you. Good luck with your search.”

para13cord

Post by para13cord » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:06 am

I ended up just giving a watch to a buddy after dealing with tire kickers on WUS left and right. Not worth the hassle.

3migo
Name: Russell

Post by 3migo » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:11 am

If a buyer asks too many specific questions, I just decline to sell to them.

You want detailed pictures of the inside of the clasp to see if there are scratches? Sorry, but this isn't gonna work out between you and I.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:17 am

in fairness, Ive dealt with people here who have run me thru the ringer with questions, some of which seemed odd at the time to me. Jumped thru hoops etc only to have them decide not to pursue.
Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:16 am

LOL - my patience level has decreased due to tire kickers / bargin hunters on WUS. I've almost lost two deals by providing flippant responses to what I percieved as stupid questions from real buyers, only to get pissed off emails back and realize they were serious buyers. In the end, I apologized to both buyers and told them I was just frustrated with the BS PMs that always seem to come in when selling and was able to salvage both deals after eating some crow. #sellingsucks
Last edited by BacoNoir on Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:59 am

ericf4 wrote:in fairness, Ive dealt with people here who have run me thru the ringer with questions, some of which seemed odd at the time to me. Jumped thru hoops etc only to have them decide not to pursue.
I should’ve snagged that U1P. :nutkick:

5661nicholas
Name: nick

Post by 5661nicholas » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:40 pm

I feel I do a pretty good job with pics and descriptions. If I get the "can you provide exact timekeeping data and a better description on the condition?" I'm out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:48 pm

ericf4 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:17 am
in fairness, Ive dealt with people here who have run me thru the ringer with questions, some of which seemed odd at the time to me. Jumped thru hoops etc only to have them decide not to pursue.
same

i always ask "are these nutz yours"

DrWapenshaw
Name: J

Post by DrWapenshaw » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:50 pm

Scratch all that.

Yes, as others have stated I have opted to just give watches to friends instead.
Was that wrong? Should I not have done that?

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:31 pm

5661nicholas wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:40 pm
I feel I do a pretty good job with pics and descriptions. If I get the "can you provide exact timekeeping data and a better description on the condition?" I'm out.

===========================

After a few questions, I just move on... and in some cases just don't respond; some of the questions are just plain ridiculous.. :shrug:

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:56 pm

5661nicholas wrote:

Exactly!
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

Safetystop
Diving (muff) is not a team sport.
Name: Dr. Eaton Beaver

Post by Safetystop » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:13 pm

ericf4 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:17 am
Sorry about that :shrug:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:34 pm

DrWapenshaw wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:50 pm
as others have stated I have opted to just give watches to friends instead.
I have given watches away instead of selling them if they are a lower value.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:20 pm

5661nicholas wrote:

I don't know what "exact" means, but I'd put you straight on the "asshole list" if you threw me attitude about providing a current daily deviation when I'm buying a multi thousand dollar watch. In fact, it seems pretty poor form for a "for sale" thread not to include that information - assuming they don't offer the option to return for any reason within a few days.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:39 pm

Sounds like some pretty short fuses around here ;)

The last few times I had a watch for sale I was sure that the person inquiring about it was a scammer - PMs with nothing more than 'Is the watch still available?" and a very low post count made me wary. But I usually give people the benefit of the doubt at first and see how things play out - after all, I do actually want to sell a watch when I have it for sale. In every case the buyer turned out to be legit and went through with the deal - with zero issues afterwards. So I wouldn't be so quick to blow off a potential sale (paid by wire, of course) just because someone asks a few dumb questions or they don't have much of a reputation on the forums.

Ironically, the few issues I have had as both a buyer and a seller were here on DWC :whistle:

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:03 pm

I’ve really slowed down my buying because I really hate selling. I’m trying to be much more particular about what I pick up as opposed to “trying” this or that. While there are still lots of watches I’d love to take for a spin, unless it’s sub $1k or I’ve actually handled it and know it will work for me, I’ve held off. It’s a little boring, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
- Todd

Zidane
Stevie's Nick
Name: Nick

Post by Zidane » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:12 pm

I’ve been lucky. But I hate the process. Main reason why I don’t buy and sell more.

5661nicholas
Name: nick

Post by 5661nicholas » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:30 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
5661nicholas wrote:

I don't know what "exact" means, but I'd put you straight on the "asshole list" if you threw me attitude about providing a current daily deviation when I'm buying a multi thousand dollar watch. In fact, it seems pretty poor form for a "for sale" thread not to include that information - assuming they don't offer the option to return for any reason within a few days.
I have been called much worse than an asshole, but thanks. Let me clarify, if I give a description of saying it runs -2spd on my wrist....that is how I know it to run. I have received questions on wearing habits etc., and to me that is taking it a little far. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like we will doing any deals in the near future Image

ChuckW
Name: Chuck

Post by ChuckW » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:56 pm

Chocodove wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:03 pm
I’ve really slowed down my buying because I really hate selling. I’m trying to be much more particular about what I pick up as opposed to “trying” this or that. While there are still lots of watches I’d love to take for a spin, unless it’s sub $1k or I’ve actually handled it and know it will work for me, I’ve held off. It’s a little boring, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
That's pretty much the same place I'm at. Trying to stay in the mindset that I can't buy every watch I like. I'm even staying away from buying affordables on impulse.
No, it's not Tourettes.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:58 pm

Say you have a watch you haven’t worn in a day or two, and it needs fully wound. You realize this right before you plan to beat it. So you stuff it back in the pants, Zip, get the lotion and tissues off your lap and put the watch on your wrist because you know that MF will be wound tight as possible when you’re done.

Anyone else do this? Asking for friends.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:59 pm

logan2z wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:39 pm
Ironically, the few issues I have had as both a buyer and a seller were here on DWC :whistle:
same :banghead: