iPhone XR or XS/XSmax?

Get your nerd on.
hidden by leaves
Name: Anthony

iPhone XR or XS/XSmax?

Post by hidden by leaves » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:10 pm

What did you choose and are you happy you did? (value and functionality). Thanks.
Send lawyers, guns and money...

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Re: iPhone XR or XS/XSmax?

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:19 pm

Xs and previously X. I went Xs because I like the form factor and camera zoom.

I picked up two Xr for my folks and I’m really impressed with those. Larger Retina display screen, but LED versus the OLED of the Xs. I can’t honestly tell a difference, but prefer the larger size.

Another benefit of Xr is the largest battery capacity / longest battery life of any iPhone to date.

To do it again I’d also go Xr

hidden by leaves

Post by hidden by leaves » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:21 pm

Thanks Hop.

nweash
Name: Nick

Post by nweash » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:23 pm

I went from X to XS Max. Love the additional screen space. It’s way more pleasant overall. You get used to the size within a day and then you can’t imagine not having.

Can’t think of any drawbacks. I use a bodyguardz case that’s relatively thin and protects up to 12 feet drops.

Battery lasts me all day and I average 4hr 40min of screen time a day according to my Screen Time app.

hidden by leaves

iPhone XR or XS/XSmax?

Post by hidden by leaves » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:32 pm

Seppia wrote:I finally upgraded to an Xr from a 6.
I picked the Xr versus the other models for two main reasons:
1- it costs significantly less*
2- the battery lasts a LOT (a hugely important feature for me). I get two full days of normal usage.
In terms of hardware it’s basically the same, the only notable differences are
- screen: I weirdly prefer OLED to LED so that was a win for the Xr for me, but it’s normally the opposite.
- camera: better on the Xs but they are all so good right now that I see no “real” difference.
- 3gb ram VS 4gb for the Xs. This will likely be noticeable in 4 years time, maybe.

*I pay for my phones outright and keep them for a long time, those who have a two year commitment night not get the one-shot hit but still, you pay for it anyways.
Thanks Andrea - I'm in a similar place - am coming from a 6s plus that I own outright and have been using for over 3 years. I have a pretty good wireless plan for my wife and I and have no plans to get involved with carriers for hardware again.

Right now apple has a trade in program that's very easy and not bad for value on my 6 so I'm thinking of taking advantage while available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by hidden by leaves on Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hidden by leaves

Post by hidden by leaves » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:35 pm

nweash wrote:I went from X to XS Max. Love the additional screen space. It’s way more pleasant overall. You get used to the size within a day and then you can’t imagine not having.

Can’t think of any drawbacks. I use a bodyguardz case that’s relatively thin and protects up to 12 feet drops.

Battery lasts me all day and I average 4hr 40min of screen time a day according to my Screen Time app.
Thanks Nick, points well taken. To be honest after carting around a 6s plus in an OtterBox case for three years I'm kind of tired of the size/form factor and Iike the idea of downsizing the phone but keeping or even increasing screen real estate. The XR is a good balance point on that. Also I'm just not sure I can justify the price of the max.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:50 pm

hidden by leaves wrote:
Seppia wrote:I finally upgraded to an Xr from a 6.
I picked the Xr versus the other models for two main reasons:
1- it costs significantly less*
2- the battery lasts a LOT (a hugely important feature for me). I get two full days of normal usage.
In terms of hardware it’s basically the same, the only notable differences are
- screen: I weirdly prefer OLED to LED so that was a win for the Xr for me, but it’s normally the opposite.
- camera: better on the Xs but they are all so good right now that I see no “real” difference.
- 3gb ram VS 4gb for the Xs. This will likely be noticeable in 4 years time, maybe.

*I pay for my phones outright and keep them for a long time, those who have a two year commitment night not get the one-shot hit but still, you pay for it anyways.
Thanks Andrea - I'm in a similar place - am coming from a 6s plus that I own outright and have been using for over 3 years. I have a pretty good wireless plan for my wife and I and have no plans to get involved with carriers for hardware again.

Right now apple has a trade in program that's very easy and not bad for value on my 6 so I'm thinking of taking advantage while available.

Going from 6s+ the Xr is definitely the way I’d go. Better in every aspect.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:27 pm

The only differences between the XSMax and XR beyond screen is the camera and the screen and resolution.
I looked at all 3, have always had the top of the line and ended up with the XR. First off. OLED gives me headaches. The LCD on the XR is crazy good and is hard to tell the difference (yes the OLEd is still better but not a massive amount better than this LCD). Camera is great on XR but lacks optical zoom.

For the price difference between the two, the XR is the clear winner. Battery life is as they say. I almost never charge it during the day-I take it out of charger in am and it lasts till 11pm no problem. 7am-11pm with ease.

hidden by leaves

iPhone XR or XS/XSmax?

Post by hidden by leaves » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:49 pm

tattoo chef wrote:The only differences between the XSMax and XR beyond screen is the camera and the screen and resolution.
I looked at all 3, have always had the top of the line and ended up with the XR. First off. OLED gives me headaches. The LCD on the XR is crazy good and is hard to tell the difference (yes the OLEd is still better but not a massive amount better than this LCD). Camera is great on XR but lacks optical zoom.

For the price difference between the two, the XR is the clear winner. Battery life is as they say. I almost never charge it during the day-I take it out of charger in am and it lasts till 11pm no problem. 7am-11pm with ease.

Thanks.

You lose the 3d touch functionality on the XR as well. Although I have no idea why.

Not so fussed though as it has been for me one of those hyped but never used features so I'm unlikely to miss it.

I'm more concerned about adapting to face recognition instead of fingerprinting - I hate the idea to be honest but there does not seem to be any way out if upgrading. Really wish apple would have adopted the touch screen fingerprint reading some of the other brands have come out with.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>

Post by tattoo chef » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:22 pm

They implemented a haptic touch that works on the control center and the notifications. Works the same way as 3D Touch, it’s basically a long press with a haptic feedback. They will be bringing it to pictures and other things as well soon.

As far as faceid. I went and got rid of a X and got an 8plus before getting the XR and I am so used to the gestures for navigation and Face ID it’s hard to go back. It still doesn’t work horizontally but it probably will next year and 95% of the time you don’t even have to think about it or do anything. You raise phone to use it and it’s already unlocked.

hidden by leaves

iPhone XR or XS/XSmax?

Post by hidden by leaves » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:49 pm

What about when you want to just check your phone or for notifications etc just on the lock screen *without* unlocking the phone (like I do 50 times a day - including in meetings )

Or in the middle of the night when you're in bed and it's dark and you want to check watchrecon while your wife is sleeping??

This shit is real!!

(But seriously, would like to know how that kind of stuff works w face id)

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:12 pm

hidden by leaves wrote:What about when you want to just check your phone or for notifications etc just on the lock screen *without* unlocking the phone (like I do 50 times a day - including in meetings Image )

Or in the middle of the night when you're in bed and it's dark and you want to check watchrecon while your wife is sleeping??

This shit is real!! Image

Face ID will unlock, but you still have to swipe up for the home screen. If you simply pick up the phone you’ll see notifications. You can also swipe straight down to see all notifications.

Face ID works great for me. An in-display fingerprint sensor would be a nice addition, for times I need to unlock but looking at the screen is inconvenient (as when driving and wanting to hear a recent incoming message, while keeping eyes on the road). Most of the time it’s all good anyway.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:20 pm

Everyone is reluctant to move to FaceID at first. But it just works.
- Todd

manitoujoe
Name: Mark

Post by manitoujoe » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:41 pm

So Xr is the way to go?

I’ve got a 6+ too. When I was at Best Buy, I quickly liked the Xr screen too and had to do a double take because I thought it was the Xs.

Also, carriers. I’m with AT&T but heard good stuff about Sprint. Any real difference?
Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:02 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:19 pm
Xs and previously X. I went Xs because I like the form factor and camera zoom.

I picked up two Xr for my folks and I’m really impressed with those. Larger Retina display screen, but LED versus the OLED of the Xs. I can’t honestly tell a difference, but prefer the larger size.

Another benefit of Xr is the largest battery capacity / longest battery life of any iPhone to date.

To do it again I’d also go Xr
The Xr is also considerably cheaper than the Xs or Xs Max.

My wife's thinking of returning her Xs to Costco and getting an Xr plus cash instead. She bought the Xs shortly before the Xr was released.

Maybe I'm blind, but I can't tell the difference between the OG Retina and new OLED displays. :shrug:

Skinny Rogers
Name: Lance

Post by Skinny Rogers » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:17 pm

Xs here.

I get a new iPhone yearly so it was the next best thing!

I have never owned a plus due to the size but I love the features.

Mine is all that I need!

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:27 pm

Chocodove wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:20 pm
I get that. I don’t dislike the idea. It’s just that in my line of work I have to be discreet when I do use my phone and I don’t often raise it to my face checking things. I wish they’d add a fingerprint scanner to the back like a number of Android devices that also have facial recognition. I’ll stick with my 8 Plus for now but there’s a good chance I’ll actually go back to Android after this phone if it never comes back. It’s not just about Touch ID but that would be the final straw. That and I cannot stand the notch. So many phones do it now. If I was buying a phone right now it would be the Samsung Note 9 for these reasons but as long as iPhones last me I’ll likely use this one for a few years.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:07 pm

manitoujoe wrote:So Xr is the way to go?

I’ve got a 6+ too. When I was at Best Buy, I quickly liked the Xr screen too and had to do a double take because I thought it was the Xs.

Also, carriers. I’m with AT&T but heard good stuff about Sprint. Any real difference?
Sprint is folding into T-Mobile soon.

Verizon is the best coverage.

Yes, Xr if I had it to do over again.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>

Post by tattoo chef » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:09 pm

hidden by leaves wrote:What about when you want to just check your phone or for notifications etc just on the lock screen *without* unlocking the phone (like I do 50 times a day - including in meetings Image )

This shit is real!! Image

You can see notifications if you don’t have them locked on lock screen (you do this in settings)

Faceid works in dark, outside, with sunglasses etc. I setup two Faceids. One regular and one with my shades on.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>

Post by tattoo chef » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:13 pm

I’m on sprint. Have been for 8-9 years no. No issues at all, cheaper as well.
Always check your coverage area though.
Yes, there is supposedly going to be a sprint/T-Mobile merger this year but not yet.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>

Post by tattoo chef » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:15 pm

Torrid wrote:
Chocodove wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:20 pm
I get that. I don’t dislike the idea. It’s just that in my line of work I have to be discreet when I do use my phone and I don’t often raise it to my face checking things. I wish they’d add a fingerprint scanner to the back like a number of Android devices that also have facial recognition. I’ll stick with my 8 Plus for now but there’s a good chance I’ll actually go back to Android after this phone if it never comes back. It’s not just about Touch ID but that would be the final straw. That and I cannot stand the notch. So many phones do it now. If I was buying a phone right now it would be the Samsung Note 9 for these reasons but as long as iPhones last me I’ll likely use this one for a few years.

You don’t have to raise it directly to your face. I pull out of my pocket and at pocket height it unlocks. For the times it’s on a table, and I need to glance at it, I just put in my passcode.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:38 pm

i set my to do face recognition of my sack

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:40 pm

toxicavenger wrote:i set my to do face recognition of my sack
So it recognizes some other dudes face?

hidden by leaves

Post by hidden by leaves » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:43 pm

manitoujoe wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:41 pm
So Xr is the way to go?

Selym wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:02 pm

The Xr is also considerably cheaper than the Xs or Xs Max.

My wife's thinking of returning her Xs to Costco and getting an Xr plus cash instead. She bought the Xs shortly before the Xr was released.

Maybe I'm blind, but I can't tell the difference between the OG Retina and new OLED displays. :shrug:
Yeah one of the first things I did when I started looking at these options was go to a Best Buy where they had an XR and XS (literally) side by side and turned on for display. I ran the same demo photos holding the two phones together and I had to convince myself I was seeing some minor differences in a couple of pics. Maybe.

If you showed me the two phones independently and asked me to guess which was the XS I'm pretty sure I'd do no better than if I was flipping a coin.

manitoujoe
Name: Mark

Post by manitoujoe » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:30 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:i set my to do face recognition of my sack
So it recognizes some other dudes face?
Hahaha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin