Anyone ever screw up an ISOfrane?

Discussion of straps and bracelets.
Torrid
Name: Heath

Anyone ever screw up an ISOfrane?

Post by Torrid » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:21 am

I had my ISO up for sale. Sold actually. Then I found a knick in it which could be best described as a very shallow cut. Not quite sure when it happened, but most likely while working and caught it on a rail car grab handle that had some metal sticking up. I didn’t feel right selling a strap with a cut in it and rubber or at least polyurethane straps rip easily once this happens. Maybe I over reacted here and the strap is tougher than I think because I can’t be the only one to ever do this to an ISOfrane. I could only find two instances online with pictures that showed a failed ISOfrane strap.

The shallow cut is visible in this picture on the bottom edge just between the 3rd and 4 tang hole from the rectangular vents. When I noticed it in the picture I thought it was a scuff.

Anyone else ever do something similar? Anything ever come of it? I mean I’m sure it’s fine to use, but I’d rather if it would fail that it would fail on me and not on someone who bought it from me.

bedlam
Name: Carl

Re: Anyone ever screw up an ISOfrane?

Post by bedlam » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:02 am

I had one fail...the rubber between the pin and the watch head is really quite thin and under pressure the pin tore through the rubbber.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:18 am

After all it is rubber, so it can be cut or break if enough pressure put on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:30 am

It will progress farther for sure. No telling when though.

shaneotool
Name: Paul

Post by shaneotool » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:37 am

I've got one with the slightest tear starting at the edge of the springbar hole. I probably need to retire it..

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:56 am

Man that sucks. I guess I might have well use it for now. Here I had it sold too.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:04 am

shaneotool wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:37 am
I've got one with the slightest tear starting at the edge of the springbar hole. I probably need to retire it..
There is a seam where the molding process happens in that area. I wonder if that is what is failing?

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:21 pm

Well I decided to give the strap another try. Maybe it’s more superficial than I think but time will tell. It is comfortable, I just wish it was less bulky. It’s probably why I got it hit on something. It looks like whatever hit it just missed the buckle with the adjustment hole I use.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:59 pm

FWIW, I received one of those "ISO-a-likes" from Borealis a few years ago that had a similar nick in the edge of the rubber. The Borealis folks sent me a replacement, but I ran the nicked one on a Seiko for an entire summer surfing, etc., with no ill effects. I eventually sold the Seiko with the replacement / new "Borealis-o-frane", but the old one never got any worse. I think I still have it somewhere, actually.

I think the nick would certainly effect resale value, so I would just run it. I've got to think if you pulled it hard enough to rip that rubber through, you'd probably also likely pull out a spring bar too.

The Relumer
Name: DT

Post by The Relumer » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:16 am

i honestly do not see it in the picture

Huxley
Name: Michael Plant

Post by Huxley » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:27 pm

Reviving an old thread, but Isofrane sells repair/parts kits so that you can fix these. Accessible through the Aquadive page (same parent company)

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:31 pm

Huxley wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:27 pm
Reviving an old thread, but Isofrane sells repair/parts kits so that you can fix these. Accessible through the Aquadive page (same parent company)

weird they sell a repair kit (basically a replacement part for the damaged side) through another site and not the isofrane site. not everyone knows they are owned by the same company. heck maybe they carry the spare parts on the doxa/jenny site also? :shrug:

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:32 pm

It’s still going strong. I said screw it after what happened and now wear it working putting it through it’s paces. I probably was being overly cautious when I found the small cut. I’m amazed how unlike most rubber straps it really doesn’t show small scratches or scuffs otherwise. It’s finally become my favorite strap.

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:34 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:31 pm
Huxley wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:27 pm

weird they sell a repair kit (basically a replacement part for the damaged side) through another site and not the isofrane site. not everyone knows they are owned by the same company. heck maybe they carry the spare parts on the doxa/jenny site also? :shrug:
I thought they were accessible on the ISOfrane site too but I’d have to look.