New Computer/ TLS Issues

Get your nerd on.
BlueSky
Name: David

New Computer/ TLS Issues

Post by BlueSky » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:59 pm

Having this on several sites after getting a Dell PC:

Can’t connect securely to this page
This might be because the site uses outdated or unsafe TLS security settings. If this keeps happening, try contacting the website’s owner.

Using Norton/Comcast, Malwarebytes, Edge and Windows 10... drivers/everything up to date. Also blocking of some images here and other sites. Tried a few setting changes. Have TLS 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 checked and SSL 3.0 unchecked. Tried with the firewall off.

Of course, Chrome works fine, but I prefer Edge. Have you guys ever heard of this problem? I have not tried it with just Windows Defender. It's a large problem apparent with a search and I'm stumped.

Edit...It's doing it with Chrome, too.

This site can’t be reached The connection was reset.
Try:

Checking the connection
Checking the proxy and the firewall
Running Windows Network Diagnostics
ERR_CONNECTION_RESET

BlueSky

Re: New Computer/ TLS Issues

Post by BlueSky » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:40 am

Still having issues with images on DWC. Seems like there's no rhyme or reason. I would say I'm getting 20-30 percent in a WRUW thread which sort of takes the fun out of the forum.

Reasonably computer savvy and I've tried everything short of a reinstall of W10. Never had these issues with my 10 year old Dell and I guess I'll have to get them and MS involved. New computer and this crap happens...

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:16 am

Have you tried firefox?

I don't use edge so I am not familiar with it.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:44 am

BlueSky wrote:Still having issues with images on DWC. Seems like there's no rhyme or reason. I would say I'm getting 20-30 percent in a WRUW thread which sort of takes the fun out of the forum.

Reasonably computer savvy and I've tried everything short of a reinstall of W10. Never had these issues with my 10 year old Dell and I guess I'll have to get them and MS involved. New computer and this crap happens...
My friend is a computer tech (owns a shop etc) if you can’t figure it out pm me and I’ll give you his email.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueSky

Post by BlueSky » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:45 am

Have not, Terry. That's a plan B, for sure. It's just that I've been through every iteration of IE and now Edge and I'm just used to it. Use Chrome some and I'm having issues with it as well. Something is corrupted, I guess, and I can't seem to find or fix it.

Thanks...

BlueSky

Post by BlueSky » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:49 am

Thanks Don. When you start digging around, this is happening to a lot of folks. Strange...

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:17 am

Even on my Linux setup Chromium(open source Chrome) is hit and miss for some sites. The new Firefox Quantum has been overall pretty reliable and they even took care of whatever issue Firefox on Linux was having with videos.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:30 am

BlueSky wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:45 am
Have not, Terry. That's a plan B, for sure. It's just that I've been through every iteration of IE and now Edge and I'm just used to it. Use Chrome some and I'm having issues with it as well. Something is corrupted, I guess, and I can't seem to find or fix it.

Thanks...
David as a ex-help desk tech the next thing I would do is start with a fresh install of WIN10 and delete all bloat ware.

And if the Norton you are using is the free version that came with your pc then get rid of it. Use the free version like avast.

BlueSky

Post by BlueSky » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:50 am

Terry, thanks again. Got rid of Mcafee at the get-go, then Norton and now just using Windows Defender. Will do with Avast. Thankfully, Dell doesn't have much crap installed and I've gotten rid of that. Malwarebytes didn't find anything and I'm fixing to dig deeper with Hitman and some others to see if they find anything. Then I guess it's a fresh install. Geesh...

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:57 am

What are some of the sites? Are they public i.e. require no login? If so, maybe post a couple of examples. Assuming they're not warez sites or torrent sites that maybe blocked by your ISP.

To test, install Opera, turn on the build in VPN feature, try again with VPN enabled. Or if you already have access to another VPN provider, try that just to eliminate anything else along the path.

I'd suggest having a look at the application, system and security logs to see if anything useful can be googled based on messages there before trying a full re-image.

Turning off some of the software that may interfere (Norton) maybe a good test if you trust the sites you're visiting. Avast seems like a good option.
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

BlueSky

Post by BlueSky » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:58 am

Heath...thanks. It's missing more than it's hitting, right now. Firefox will be installed today.

jeckyll

Post by jeckyll » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:01 pm

Torrid wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:17 am
Even on my Linux setup Chromium(open source Chrome) is hit and miss for some sites. The new Firefox Quantum has been overall pretty reliable and they even took care of whatever issue Firefox on Linux was having with videos.
I've not had these issues on any site I go to, on any browser I run (Chrome, Brave, Opera, all have the same code base of course, don't use anything else currently :) )
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:04 pm

BlueSky wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:50 am
Terry, thanks again. Got rid of Mcafee at the get-go, then Norton and now just using Windows Defender. Will do with Avast. Thankfully, Dell doesn't have much crap installed and I've gotten rid of that. Malwarebytes didn't find anything and I'm fixing to dig deeper with Hitman and some others to see if they find anything. Then I guess it's a fresh install. Geesh...
Most of Dell's installed stuff is hidden and looks like it belongs to Microsoft. I've dealt with this heavily on every Dell computer until I finally give up as the computer gets older and then it gets converted to some form of Linux. Dell even uses their own proprietary boot BIOS and it is a nightmare for chargers and batteries because it is default set to save battery life to prolong it. What this means is as batteries age and wear is that it causes weird functionality issues where even with a good charger it fails to recognize it and refuses to charge even a very low battery. Usually settings can be changed to force it to charge, but at some point every Dell does it and the BIOS is required to use the hardware no matter what operating system you use. I'm actually using an older Dell now that is running Linux Ubuntu. Not to say I don't like Dell, as I usually leave everything Microsoft until it is inevitable and the computer seems to be dying that I can revive it by converting it to Linux. It makes me wonder if it's a Microsoft issue or a Dell issue. I have an older Toshiba that finally had the keyboard die along with the screen on the way out that will be in the trash heap soon and an HP that works great. So far I've been able to save two Dells by converting to Linux so I wonder if it wasn't for the bloatware if they wouldn't have eventually locked up on Windows as they did.

BlueSky

Post by BlueSky » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:18 pm

Bjorn, thanks. All of the problem sites are ones that I have used for the last 10-15 years with no issues. All public...news, sports, local stuff, E-tail etc.

Never felt the need for a VPN, but now seems like a good time and I'll try it with Opera.

jeckyll

Post by jeckyll » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:20 pm

David: If you have a couple of examples, would like to give it a shot myself :)

Always good to have someone test from a different location (ideally with the same browser)

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:41 pm

jeckyll wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:20 pm
David: If you have a couple of examples, would like to give it a shot myself :)

Always good to have someone test from a different location (ideally with the same browser)
he said above it was blocking some of dwc for him also.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:42 pm

Torrid wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:04 pm
Most of Dell's installed stuff is hidden and looks like it belongs to Microsoft. I've dealt with this heavily on every Dell computer until I finally give up as the computer gets older and then it gets converted to some form of Linux. Dell even uses their own proprietary boot BIOS and it is a nightmare for chargers and batteries because it is default set to save battery life to prolong it. What this means is as batteries age and wear is that it causes weird functionality issues where even with a good charger it fails to recognize it and refuses to charge even a very low battery. Usually settings can be changed to force it to charge, but at some point every Dell does it and the BIOS is required to use the hardware no matter what operating system you use
totally true

BlueSky

Post by BlueSky » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:50 pm

https://www.touchofmodern.com/
I get this:
Hmmm...can’t reach this page
Try this
Make sure you’ve got the right web address: https://www.touchofmodern.com
Search for "https://www.touchofmodern.com" on Bing
Refresh the page
Details
Report this issue

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/
I get this:
Can’t connect securely to this page
This might be because the site uses outdated or unsafe TLS security settings. If this keeps happening, try contacting the website’s owner.
Try this:
Go back to the last page

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:54 pm

I bet you have some kind of security software on your pc causing the issue

BlueSky

Post by BlueSky » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:01 pm

Terry...I've tried with everything off and I obviously don't know what everything is. Is a fresh install of Win10 fairly commonplace? Never had to before.
Looks like it's a straightforward process.

BlueSky

Post by BlueSky » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:18 pm

With Firefox...Touch of Modern site:
Secure Connection Failed

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

With Opera...same site:
This site can’t be reached
The connection was reset.

Try:
Checking the connection
Checking the proxy and the firewall
Running Windows Network Diagnostics
ERR_CONNECTION_RESET
Check your internet connection.
Check any cables and reboot any routers, modems, or other network devices you may be using.

Allow Opera to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings.
If it is already listed as a program allowed to access the network, try removing it from the list and adding it again.

If you use a proxy server…
Check your proxy settings or contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is working. If you don't believe you should be using a proxy server: Go to the Main menu > Settings > Change proxy settings… > LAN Settings and deselect "Use a proxy server for your LAN".

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:22 pm

David, is this the only device on your network having this issue?

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:23 pm

BlueSky wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:01 pm
Terry...I've tried with everything off and I obviously don't know what everything is. Is a fresh install of Win10 fairly commonplace? Never had to before.
Looks like it's a straightforward process.
Did you turn off defender also?

In all honestly when I did help desk we always did a fresh install on all machines when they came from the manufacture. They had way to much shit installed on them and it would take forever to figure out what is what. Not to mention we are starting with a fresh baseline.

Bjorn or the other guys might have other ideas but we didn't have time to sit on one computer long to get it out the door to the user.

BlueSky

Post by BlueSky » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:30 pm

Just the new PC and my Samsung tablet on this network and the tablet is fine. Tried with everything off including Defender. Crazy shit...
Last edited by BlueSky on Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeckyll

Post by jeckyll » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:30 pm

No problems with those siyes. TLS1. 2 and 1.3 respectively.

Load fine in brave, both on vpn and off. Agree that it's a system issue unless your provider is doing some weird shit...