Any regrets from Cord Cutters?

Get your nerd on.
logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:45 pm

I think I'm finally ready to cut the cord. Our DirecTV HD DVR/receiver just bit the dust and they want to upgrade me to a Genie 2 that I've heard is still having a lot of teething problems. We're paying a lot each month for a ton of channels that we never watch, and that's after downgrading our package last year. I've already got a Roku and use it for Netflix, YouTube and other streaming services, so I'm thinking I should just do the full Hulu subscription at $39.99/month that includes local channels/live TV and drop DirectTV completely.

I don't personally see a downside - it seems like I'll have access to all of the content I currently care about for less than 1/2 what I'm currently paying. But before I make a move, I'm curious if any of the DWC cord-cutters have any regrets about dropping their cable or satellite service in favor of a streaming service.

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Re: Any regrets from Cord Cutters?

Post by jeckyll » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:09 pm

Nope.

I haven't had cable tv in 8+ years. Now when I'm somewhere and they have it, i can't get over how annoying the commercials are.
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:10 pm

We took it further. HDTV antenna and a smart TV for Netflix and Amazon Prime channels. The antenna gets us all the local stations. We miss some sports that are ESPN and some HGTV shows but not bad enough pay for them. We’ve been doing that for about 2 years now and it’s all good.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

Grahamcombat
Name: Graham

Post by Grahamcombat » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:25 pm

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:31 pm

Zero....love it way better than before.
We use smart TVs, regular TVs w Rokus etc. Sling, Hulu and Netflix.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:52 pm

The other benefit is getting rid of the 200 religious, shopping and foreign language channels of shit. No longer clogging up my channel guide.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:59 pm

Thanks guys, b'bye DirecTV...

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:10 pm

Its been 10 years for us. I don't even notice it. Until we travel somewhere and we are in some hotel and all we hear is freaking commercials. Pretty unbearable.

We did get netflixs about 3 years ago.

nweash
Name: Nick

Post by nweash » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:22 pm

Firestick/ Netflix/ Kodi .

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:29 pm

No regrets. With Hulu, Netflix, HBO Now and Amazon, we still spend a fraction of what we did with with cable. I pay for Direct TV now for a month during March Madness. Easy to turn on and off. And none of the bullshit cable fees.

Champagne InHand

Post by Champagne InHand » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:41 pm

Not in 3 years.

Sling beta user. I get ESPN and FoxSports through in-laws that haven’t broke free. I do HBONow. Watch Masterpiece on trial, same with Britbox. I have had Amazon Prime since its inception. Great streaming.

I actually hate watching regular Trle with commercials.

I used to pay $150 for DirecTV for well over a decade. Never again. I have to pay for cable internet. Never going to spend even $20+ extra for cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:43 pm

YouTube TV + Amazon Prime + Hulu + Netflix + HD antenna + highest speed Xfinity WiFi = far more entertainment choices and I’m still paying less than half what I did for Xfinity TV with mid tier WiFi.

No regrets.

Also, try to cut the cord close so you leave an “innie” and not an “outie”

ikkoku
Stink Eye Extraordinaire

Post by ikkoku » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:51 pm

I use comcast for internet and DTVN for the past year. to be honest, I don't save all that much (I did get two apple tv 4ks for free). but not having to deal with calling in every year to get a new promo is worth it.

now if only I can get cheaper internet.

four20
Name: erik

Post by four20 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:50 am

jeckyll wrote:Nope.

I haven't had cable tv in 8+ years. Now when I'm somewhere and they have it, i can't get over how annoying the commercials are.
^^all of this. I don't miss it. My girlfriend has the Roku and we occasionally watch Prime, Hulu or Netflix together on that. It's always shows she's interested in, tho (except for The Cool Kids lol)

Sent from my Note8 using Tapatalk

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:53 am

oh we still have to pay for comcast for internet. it is the only option we have here besides century link. i do have to say we dont' have a noise pollution problem like most homes due to lack of tv. it actually drives us crazy now when we go somewhere that does.

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:00 am

My wife and I haven't had cable, satellite, or broadcast TV for nearly a decade. Between Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, YouTube, etc., there's tons of content to consume.

Caveat: neither of us watch televised sports. That's probably a hurdle to clear if you're into sports.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:06 am

Seppia wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:58 am
going almost TV-free has been one of the best decisions I’ve made in terms of improving my quality of life
totally

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:22 am

Selym wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:00 am
Caveat: neither of us watch televised sports. That's probably a hurdle to clear if you're into sports.
I don't think that's going to be a problem as Hulu with Live TV has ESPN and the other major networks. I'm a big tennis fan and currently have The Tennis Channel on DirecTV. But it's available on the Roku for $6/month if I want it. So I think we're covered.

unsub073
Name: chris

Post by unsub073 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:00 am

logan2z wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:22 am
Selym wrote:
I don't think that's going to be a problem as Hulu with Live TV has ESPN and the other major networks. I'm a big tennis fan and currently have The Tennis Channel on DirecTV. But it's available on the Roku for $6/month if I want it. So I think we're covered.
We just dumped the Tennis Channel everywhere. We weren't using it as much as we thought we would, and they don't televise everything either. You may know this, but the WTA signed a tv deal with beIN MEDIA, so most of the women's matches are televised on that channel.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:06 am

unsub073 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:00 am
logan2z wrote:
Selym wrote:
We just dumped the Tennis Channel everywhere. We weren't using it as much as we thought we would, and they don't televise everything either. You may know this, but the WTA signed a tv deal with beIN MEDIA, so most of the women's matches are televised on that channel.
I didn't hear about the WTA TV deal. I don't tend to watch women's tennis very much anyway.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:09 am

logan2z wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:06 am
unsub073 wrote:
logan2z wrote:
Selym wrote:
I didn't hear about the WTA TV deal. I don't tend to watch women's tennis very much anyway.
Not sure how the beIN deal relates to the story in the link below, but it sounds like The Tennis Channel is still going to be broadcasting WTA tournaments.

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/wta-tenni ... artnership

unsub073
Name: chris

Post by unsub073 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:16 am

logan2z wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:09 am
logan2z wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:06 am
unsub073 wrote:
logan2z wrote:
Selym wrote:
Not sure how the beIN deal relates to the story in the link below, but it sounds like The Tennis Channel is still going to be broadcasting WTA tournaments.

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/wta-tenni ... artnership
What a cluster mess. It sounds like the WTA realized that they messed up with going with BeIN in the America b/c know one knew what channel it was and they probably lost a ton of viewers.

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:43 pm

Selym wrote:My wife and I haven't had cable, satellite, or broadcast TV for nearly a decade. Between Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, YouTube, etc., there's tons of content to consume.

Very true. Sports is an area that can make or break the disconnect.

Blah blah smrt phone

We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:45 pm

jeckyll wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:43 pm
Selym wrote:My wife and I haven't had cable, satellite, or broadcast TV for nearly a decade. Between Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, YouTube, etc., there's tons of content to consume.

Very true. Sports is an area that can make or break the disconnect.

Blah blah smrt phone
yeah i guess, i have some locals on sling and FS1 and FS2 so i see what i want for sports, MMA etc.

Grahamcombat
Name: Graham

Post by Grahamcombat » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:10 pm

For sports we do the Directv app, which is like 50 bucks, has all the sports channels we need, a ton of other channels, has a cloud DVR feature, and works for what we need.