Where did you get that man purse?
matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Re: New Coffee Set-up

Post by matt.wu » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:13 am

unsub073 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:13 am
Bringing this one back to life. I got tired of using the Aeropress a couple times a day, and still wanted a single serve coffee maker without going back to the pod system. I went with Technivorm, and used it a couple times since I got it yesterday. I thought I was getting pretty dialed in with the Areopress, but this thing puts it to shame. I am really happy with the coffee this puts out.

Congrats!

I'm about two years into mine (as you can see from this thread), and I use it every day and still love it. It's still running strong and puts out excellent coffee very consistently. More than one friend has come over and ordered one after having coffee at our place.

I still have all the other contraptions for coffee making, which I also enjoy (aeropress, moka pot, french press, etc...), but this is the best day to day machine for me personally.
:htfu:

unsub073
Name: chris

Post by unsub073 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:26 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:31 am
^^So it is actually worth the cost?
So far, I think so. I tried a couple different pod machines in the past, and once I started grinding my own coffee, I couldn't go back to a system like that. There aren't many out there for single serve purposes, and everything I've read about this one, seems to last a lifetime.

unsub073

Post by unsub073 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:29 am

matt.wu wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:13 am
unsub073 wrote:
Bringing this one back to life. I got tired of using the Aeropress a couple times a day, and still wanted a single serve coffee maker without going back to the pod system. I went with Technivorm, and used it a couple times since I got it yesterday. I thought I was getting pretty dialed in with the Areopress, but this thing puts it to shame. I am really happy with the coffee this puts out.

Congrats!

I'm about two years into mine (as you can see from this thread), and I use it every day and still love it. It's still running strong and puts out excellent coffee very consistently. More than one friend has come over and ordered one after having coffee at our place.

I still have all the other contraptions for coffee making, which I also enjoy (aeropress, moka pot, french press, etc...), but this is the best day to day machine for me personally.
This was partially your fault. I saw how much you liked yours, and found out they had a single serve version, and went with it. I am keeping the rest of them as well, pour over, areopress and other gadgets. This will be my daily driver for years to come.

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:09 pm

There’s another company that we use that rivals techno for usually about half the price called Bonavita. I can attest to the quality and their great customer service. Worth a look for anyone looking. Coffee is a necessity of life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

Captdave

Post by Captdave » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:11 pm

unsub073 wrote:Bringing this one back to life. I got tired of using the Aeropress a couple times a day, and still wanted a single serve coffee maker without going back to the pod system. I went with Technivorm, and used it a couple times since I got it yesterday. I thought I was getting pretty dialed in with the Areopress, but this thing puts it to shame. I am really happy with the coffee this puts out.

Very cool!

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

New Coffee Set-up

Post by BacoNoir » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:35 pm

We have the full size Technivorm and love it but I’m always wanting 1-2 more cups after the wife fills her go mug since I work from home. I like the single serve idea so I might have to give that a shot.

Bonavita and Technivorm get the best ratings out there.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:40 pm

There seems to be a different coffee culture in the US than in Oz - you guys for more the drip style coffee. We tend to go for stripped down versions of the Italian Barista style coffee machines.

I use this Breville and love it.

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:46 pm

stop dropping so much money --

https://aeropressinc.com/

I can Aeropress a cup at home, in my office.....or when I stop when biking.....

the kit is $30 on amazon.....
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:24 pm

unsub073 wrote:

My dad bought one of these last year - full size version. Expensive but makes great coffee. The key is strict temperature control as proper extraction occurs just below boiling temp and most coffee makers do not get hot enough. The Technivorm heats the water in coils very quickly and the water temp is very precise.

My wife and daughter love tea so I bought a Zojirushi water boiler which keeps 4 quarts of water at 208 degrees at all times so with a decent burr grinder I just make pour over now.

ChuckW
Name: Chuck

Post by ChuckW » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:35 pm

I've used a french press for a long time, but I like the coffee from the Krups Moka Brew even more. The one I have is one of the original German made units, which are no longer available. The newer ones are made in China. I'm a home roaster, so I like good coffee.

No, it's not Tourettes.

gamecock111
Name: Doug

Post by gamecock111 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:20 pm

I have been using pods at home forever. I never was really happy with taste, but drank it out of habit.

About I year ago, I started doing pour over and then quickly moved to the Ratio 8 automatic pour over. You would think 600 bucks and the coffee would floor you. Its better, but not as good as the $1 cup the small gasoline station makes down the road with their old drip machine. So I continue the quest for fancy beans and grind settings. Maybe one day, I will be happy with home brew.

zepp21
Name: Alex

Post by zepp21 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:22 pm

Captdave wrote:There’s another company that we use that rivals techno for usually about half the price called Bonavita. I can attest to the quality and their great customer service. Worth a look for anyone looking. Coffee is a necessity of life!

:1: I love my Bonavita. I read reviews on both and most leaned towards the Bonavita.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Captdave

Post by Captdave » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:38 pm

dnslater wrote:
unsub073 wrote:

My dad bought one of these last year - full size version. Expensive but makes great coffee. The key is strict temperature control as proper extraction occurs just below boiling temp and most coffee makers do not get hot enough. The Technivorm heats the water in coils very quickly and the water temp is very precise.

My wife and daughter love tea so I bought a Zojirushi water boiler which keeps 4 quarts of water at 208 degrees at all times so with a decent burr grinder I just make pour over now.
If there water boilers are as good as their thermoses they’reeee Great!

justsellbrgs

Post by justsellbrgs » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:48 am

dnslater wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:24 pm
unsub073 wrote:

how's that Chemex?
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

justsellbrgs

Post by justsellbrgs » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:50 am

gamecock111 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:20 pm
I have been using pods at home forever. I never was really happy with taste, but drank it out of habit.

About I year ago, I started doing pour over and then quickly moved to the Ratio 8 automatic pour over. You would think 600 bucks and the coffee would floor you. Its better, but not as good as the $1 cup the small gasoline station makes down the road with their old drip machine. So I continue the quest for fancy beans and grind settings. Maybe one day, I will be happy with home brew.
doug -- seriously -- spend $30 for the aeropress....

gamecock111
Name: Doug

Post by gamecock111 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:44 am

justsellbrgs wrote:
gamecock111 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:20 pm

doug -- seriously -- spend $30 for the aeropress....
Well, I am invested now.

ChuckW

Post by ChuckW » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:33 am

Brewer and Grinder

Beans (currently have about 50 lbs. of various green beans stored)

Roaster, which has a smoke suppression system, so roasting under the range hood usually keeps the smoke alarm from going off.

No, it's not Tourettes.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:05 am

^^^damn chuck you are all in bro!

unsub073

Post by unsub073 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:39 am

Damn Chuck. How often are you roasting it?

ChuckW

Post by ChuckW » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:51 am

unsub073 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:39 am
About 2 lbs. a week. No weak ass coffee for me. I brew it strong enough to wake up the neighbors.
No, it's not Tourettes.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:12 pm

justsellbrgs wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:48 am
dnslater wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:24 pm
unsub073 wrote:

how's that Chemex?
Actually it is a Bodum. Double wall insulated and holds 8 cups warm for an hour.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VY ... UTF8&psc=1
Chemex are beautiful but single wall.

justsellbrgs

Post by justsellbrgs » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:47 pm

how's that Chemex?
[/quote]

Actually it is a Bodum. Double wall insulated and holds 8 cups warm for an hour.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VY ... UTF8&psc=1
Chemex are beautiful but single wall.
[/quote]

...on my want list --- thanks for the tip Nick. :clap:

unsub073

Post by unsub073 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:48 am

ChuckW wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:51 am
unsub073 wrote:
About 2 lbs. a week. No weak ass coffee for me. I brew it strong enough to wake up the neighbors.
I am not ready to go down that rabbit hole, but how long did it take you to learn the ropes of roasting your own beans?

ChuckW

Post by ChuckW » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:48 pm

unsub073 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:48 am
ChuckW wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:51 am
unsub073 wrote:
I am not ready to go down that rabbit hole, but how long did it take you to learn the ropes of roasting your own beans?
There was a little learning curve, but I did research before getting into it. Been a home roaster for about ten years.
No, it's not Tourettes.

vbuskirk
Thread Jacker Extraordinaire
Name: Chris

Post by vbuskirk » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:45 pm

Chris