Crafter Blue Releases Shogun Strap

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Crafter Blue Releases Shogun Strap

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:29 pm

I’ll take some photos of the Crafter Blue next to the stock Shogun Seiko strap and Terry’s Magnum on my SPB053 for comparison tomorrow.

Here is a shot of the clasp and the underside of the strap.

spring-diver
Name: Shannon

Re: Crafter Blue Releases Shogun Strap

Post by spring-diver » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:42 pm

Great looking strap :thumbsup:

They really need to make this for a U1,U2, 757...etc :headbang:

:cheers:
Seiko: SBDB001, SBDX001, SRP777

Sinn: EZM9, T1, T1B, 836 & 857S

:cheers:

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:50 am

I thought I would post some additional pictures to try to help answer some lingering questions.

First is length.

I'm not certain how to best measure a fitted strap such as this. Measuring from strap tip to tip would give an artificially long number due to there being about 5 mm of extra material to fill the "strap gap". I thought it best to measure from the spring bar hole in the lug to end of the strap.

The long end is approximately 120mm - spring bar hole in the lug to strap end

The short end is approximately 68mm - spring bar hole on the lug to buckle spring bar hole in the strap. Including the buckle it is 85mm.

For those (like me) who find these numbers difficult to visualize, here are photos of the strap next to a MM300 stock rubber strap. I've done my best to align spring bar holes for even comparison.

The long side of the MM300 rubber strap is longer than the Crafter Blue. The buckle side is about the same length.

One of my main concerns was if this strap would flair straight out from the lugs, making the watch effectively longer lug-to-lug. It does not.

The strap, when mounted, angles down away from the watch head.

Fitting to the lug, both inside and outside, is well done.

My only (very minor) complaint after a weekend of wear is the metal keeper. While looking good and well done, it does slide around a bit more than I'd like.

I have the same complaint with the stock Seiko strap on my SPB053. The simple solution was to add a second rubber keeper from another strap to run between the buckle and the metal keeper. I may to the same thing here.

I've had no issues with comfort and no pressure points on the wrist at all. I can see my Shogun getting a lot more wear now that it is mounted on this strap.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:16 am

I can tell the strap tapers towards the buckle, but haven't read anywhere as to what. Is it 20 or 18?

I'm still curious as to why they didn't make it to use the fatties like the CB Sumo and MM straps will. Perhaps the strap isn't as thick at the lugs?

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:11 pm

59yukon01 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:16 am
I can tell the strap tapers towards the buckle, but haven't read anywhere as to what. Is it 20 or 18?

I'm still curious as to why they didn't make it to use the fatties like the CB Sumo and MM straps will. Perhaps the strap isn't as thick at the lugs?
Yes, it does taper. It is 20mm wide at the buckle.

It is hard to see as it is only a 2mm taper, but it appears to occur in the top inch or so of the strap and remain 20mm throughout most of its length (well - I guess it would have to given how high up the buckle holes begin).

I don't have any other Crafter Blue straps to compare, but I suspect you are correct about the thinness at the lugs requiring the use of a "slim fat" type spring bar.

I'm just glad the included spring bars were of the correct tip width and they didn't just stick in some standard 22mm /.9mm tip bars. If nothing else, it indicates to me Crafter Blue knows their audience.

mellonb1
Name: Brian

Post by mellonb1 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:11 pm

Good stuff, Chris. Your pix and insight are awesome. The Shogun is probably the only watch I've owned that needed an integrated rubber strap the most. Appears as though CB has made a great looking and high quality functioning strap.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:53 pm

Replace the standard metal keeper with a Seiko metal keeper from one of the new rubber straps. It didn’t move around at all on the Crafter Blue I had on my Sumo.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!

Post by 59yukon01 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:06 am

Just ordered the CB Shogun strap today. They are having a 25% off sale on all products. Use coupon code "blackfriday".

Honeybadger

Post by Honeybadger » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:49 am

59yukon01 wrote:Just ordered the CB Shogun strap today. They are having a 25% off sale on all products. Use coupon code "blackfriday".

Is this at the Crafter Blue site? Coupon code didn’t work for me. I’ve been eyeing a black and orange one for my Sammy. This was just what I needed to make me pull the trigger Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!

Post by 59yukon01 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:56 am

Honeybadger wrote:
59yukon01 wrote:Just ordered the CB Shogun strap today. They are having a 25% off sale on all products. Use coupon code "blackfriday".

Is this at the Crafter Blue site? Coupon code didn’t work for me. I’ve been eyeing a black and orange one for my Sammy. This was just what I needed to make me pull the trigger Image

Yes it's the Crafter Blue site. Code worked fine for me an hour ago. It's all lowercase.

Honeybadger

Post by Honeybadger » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:59 am

59yukon01 wrote:
Honeybadger wrote:

Yes it's the Crafter Blue site. Code worked fine for me an hour ago. It's all lowercase.
Got it to work. Had a space after the “blackfriday” and it wouldn’t take it. Just had to hit backspace Image. Stupid fat fingers on an iPhone 🤪. This is awesome. Thanks for sharing and Happy Thanksgiving!

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!

Post by 59yukon01 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:16 am

Honeybadger wrote:
59yukon01 wrote:
Honeybadger wrote:

Got it to work. Had a space after the “blackfriday” and it wouldn’t take it. Just had to hit backspace Image. Stupid fat fingers on an iPhone 🤪. This is awesome. Thanks for sharing and Happy Thanksgiving!

Image Image Image

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:47 am

Thinking about getting the MM300 strap. I've actually never had my MM300 off its bracelet so I'm a bit hesitant, but I think the fitted rubber might wear well.

Is the general consensus positive for the MM300 version? I think I remember positive comments, but it has been a while.

My Shogun has been living on the fitted rubber since Crafter Blue released the model.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!

Post by 59yukon01 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:58 am

Ryeguy wrote:Thinking about getting the MM300 strap. I've actually never had my MM300 off its bracelet so I'm a bit hesitant, but I think the fitted rubber might wear well.

Is the general consensus positive for the MM300 version? I think I remember positive comments, but it has been a while.

My Shogun has been living on the fitted rubber since Crafter Blue released the model.
Absolutely love the CB strap on my MM300. Really balances the watch.

While I like the OEM that came with the watch, it's too long and too stiff for me.

shaneotool
Name: Paul

Post by shaneotool » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:32 am

59yukon01 wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:58 am
Ryeguy wrote:Thinking about getting the MM300 strap. I've actually never had my MM300 off its bracelet so I'm a bit hesitant, but I think the fitted rubber might wear well.

it's too long and too stiff for me.
That’s what she said :dance:

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!

Post by 59yukon01 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:01 am

shaneotool wrote:
59yukon01 wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:58 am

it's too long and too stiff for me.
That’s what she said :dance:
Knew that was coming from somebody when I typed it. Image

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:13 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:47 am
Thinking about getting the MM300 strap. I've actually never had my MM300 off its bracelet so I'm a bit hesitant, but I think the fitted rubber might wear well.

I absolutely love it on the MM300 with the adjustable clasp. Perfect fit :thumbsup:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:46 pm

deepcdvr wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:13 pm
Ryeguy wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:47 am

I absolutely love it on the MM300 with the adjustable clasp. Perfect fit :thumbsup:
Thanks guys :cheers:

Looks like I'll be taking advantage of this deal.

5661nicholas
Name: nick

Post by 5661nicholas » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:55 pm

59yukon01 wrote:

Absolutely love the CB strap on my MM300. Really balances the watch.

While I like the OEM that came with the watch, it's too long and too stiff for me.
I had the same experience with the stock rubber. However, a couple days ago I was bored and remembered that boiling it is supposed to help. I put both pieces inside a small coffee cup, boiled some water.....and let it sit for a bit.

Mounted back on the watch, and it felt 100x better. Unfortunately, the tail end on the strap was too long for my liking. Out came the exacto knife, and I trimmed to my preferred length. I have tried the CB, Isofrane, ISO knockoffs, and Scurfa rubber for reference. It went from being the most uncomfortable, to the second most comfortable behind the Scurfa. Its worth a shot if yours is sitting around.....I was very pleasantly surprised, and pissed at myself for not trying it earlier.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:22 pm

^^^ Yes, my stock rubber strap has been sitting in the box for 6 or so years now.

I'm actually thinking of sending my MM300 back to Seiko Japan for a spa treatment. It still runs like a top, but it's probably due.

I've got more than half a mind to stockpile some seals, a spare crystal, and maybe a spare bezel just in case Seiko spare parts stores run dry. I like this watch enough to want to keep it running as long as I possibly can.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:10 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:22 pm
^^^ Yes, my stock rubber strap has been sitting in the box for 6 or so years now.

I'm actually thinking of sending my MM300 back to Seiko Japan for a spa treatment. It still runs like a top, but it's probably due.

I've got more than half a mind to stockpile some seals, a spare crystal, and maybe a spare bezel just in case Seiko spare parts stores run dry. I like this watch enough to want to keep it running as long as I possibly can.
The watch can be serviced in the US and gaskets are available. Duarte at NEWW might be able to order an extra bezel for it. The only issue with this watch is if you need movement parts, Japan will not sell them.

I hated the stock MM strap. :shrug:

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:16 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:

The watch can be serviced in the US and gaskets are available. Duarte at NEWW might be able to order an extra bezel for it. The only issue with this watch is if you need movement parts, Japan will not sell them.

He need a trip lock crown, no? ;-)

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:25 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:16 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:

Definitely :thumbsup:

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:28 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:16 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:

Definitely :thumbsup:
:grin:

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:44 am

Ha! You guys are funny. If there are three things Terry has taught me over my years on watch forums they are: 1) not all NATO straps are equal, 2) never to test the water resistance of your SKX007 by flushing it down a toilet, and 3) that the MM300 does not need a triplock crown.