Wind Up 2018 NYC, Seiko boutique

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Wind Up 2018 NYC, Seiko boutique

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:18 pm

Last I went to Wind Up with 2 friends from Denver, 2 from Iowa, and 1 from Seattle. We had a great time and made some good memories. While there I got to check out the new ARES prototype. Dope ass watch!

When we first landed in NYC we stopped at the Seiko boutique and checked out some super cool watches. I have to say the SBDC063/65 were one of my favorites. The new GMT GS 9F was straight up hot! There was a ton of pieces I liked. Very few I could afford unfortunately.

Thursday we all went to the Diver's Watch Facebook GTG for a meet up. ToxicNATOs/Scurfa/NTH all donated for the event. It was a good time. We got to do a ton of networking and I got to check out the new brand Lorier watches. They were super impressive. Steve from Raven was there, he had quite a few great pieces. Marc and Sons has some watches on display and so did Janis Trading. Did I mention Nodus was there? Great group of guys with super impressive watches. If they keep the pace in the next few years they are going to be one of the top brands around.

Friday morning was spent at the Wind Up show. I have met quite a few people in the last few years there and it is always great to catch up with them. I think I might have pissed off a few people also. That shit happens though. They can get over it. :mrgreen:

Friday night I was invited to a dinner hosted by Monta. I have to say the Monta guys are great. I know someone people don't get along with them but I have had a great experience/vibe when dealing with them. I got to check out there new divers for a few hours at the dinner. I had a hard time giving them back :snooty: . I was really impressed by every one of them. Hell if anything my only complaint was they were to nice!! :shrug: Kind of like the way I felt when wearing a Grand Seiko when working in Iraq. :crybaby:

We only flew in thursday to saturday. So saturday is the busiest day at the show and it is a little overwhelming on that day. That is why we like to come in early and just hang out. We did meet up with Sammy from Watchrecon to talk watches for a bit. Another great watch guy to chat with. Jason from Halios showed up for a just little bit on Saturday. I hung out with Patrick Marlett from Take Time (youtube), Ilyia from Worn and Wound, Steve from Raven, Neil from Mercer, RT from Vortic, James form Worn and Wound, Jeff from Crown and Buckle, were some of the ones I talked too.

There was quite a few brands there. I have to say some just don't interest me. And some people come off as dicks. If you don't see a pic of there watch in thread then you will know what category they fell in. :mrgreen:

Some of the pics I took were in a bar, so they turned out like shit. But the lighting in most of the areas we were in sucked. My bad. :whistle:

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Re: Wind Up 2018 NYC, Seiko boutique

Post by hoppyjr » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:31 pm

Sounds like fun.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:32 pm

Sounds like fun.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:34 pm

MO

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:38 pm

The Nodus Avalon is loosely designed after the Seiko SRP. It wears better on the wrist and is thinner. It is also has chamfers on the side of the case. This watch is gonna rock when it is released.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:42 pm

I'm not a huge fan of micros, but I can get behind what a lot of these guys are doing. Obviously Halios works for me, but I'm also pretty impressed with Nodus and Farer for putting out watches that look to be pretty well-built and are unique designs.

And though their initial entry has still left a sour taste in my mouth, the SS bezel Monta diver works for me. Would love to try that one out sometime.
:htfu:

Ruggs
Name: Andrew

Post by Ruggs » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:54 pm

Thanks for sharing T!

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:44 pm

Terry, is that a new GS Spring Drive GMT in one of those pics?
“Punishable by fine” = Legal for a price.”

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:35 pm

Wow! Great pics and info. Thanks for taking the time to put it all together and share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Post by aikiman44 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:55 am

Excellent reporting!
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:39 am

Hey, T, what were your thoughts on that Baltic? I've liked that O&W vintage style and owned a CREPAS Cayman for a bit and thinking of a replacement.

I've heard the bezel feels a bit cheap, but I've also heard others who like it. Curious of your opinion, especially since you had lots to compare it to at the show.

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:39 am

That’s a looker
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

giosdad

Post by giosdad » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:09 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:39 am
Hey, T, what were your thoughts on that Baltic? I've liked that O&W vintage style and owned a CREPAS Cayman for a bit and thinking of a replacement.

I've heard the bezel feels a bit cheap, but I've also heard others who like it. Curious of your opinion, especially since you had lots to compare it to at the show.
I am interested as well. The panda Chrono I own is well made for the price.

I was so disappointed I could not make it this year. It is in my backyard but I was in Toronto for a hockey tournament the whole weekend.
Thanks for reporting on your visit.
Regards
Barry

spring-diver
Name: Shannon

Post by spring-diver » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:21 am

Thanks for sharing Terry.
Seiko: SBDB001, SBDX001, SRP777

Sinn: EZM9, T1, T1B, 836 & 857S

:cheers:

pbj204
Name: Paul

Post by pbj204 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:28 am

Thanks for the pics. Wish I could have made it this year but I was just too busy to get down there.

They really need a bigger venue. It gets too packed in that small space.

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:49 am

Thanks a bunch for the tour, T

you are starting to damage my calm ...

The Hapa

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:25 am

Thanks for the pics and report Terry. Man, I'm really liking that Baltic Aquascaphe.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:21 am

Ruggs wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:54 pm
Thanks for sharing T!
You got it
matt.wu wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:42 pm
And though their initial entry has still left a sour taste in my mouth, the SS bezel Monta diver works for me. Would love to try that one out sometime.
Same for me. But they won me over with the Triumph.
Henryj wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:44 pm
Terry, is that a new GS Spring Drive GMT in one of those pics?
I think so.
Captdave wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:35 pm
Wow! Great pics and info. Thanks for taking the time to put it all together and share.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are welcome Dave.
Seppia wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:21 pm
Great stuff thanks T!

What did you think about the Baltic Aquascaphe?
I think the design looks kinda kool, it’s an obvious homage but I like how it’s done visually.
How about the build quality?
Thanks!
The Baltic was super nice. It wore like the Oris 65. It disappeared into the wrist. It isn't a ground breaking design but if you like the Oris 65 then you will love this watch.
aikiman44 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:55 am
Excellent reporting!
Where you at? I was hoping to see you. :tap:
Ryeguy wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:39 am

It can't compare to the Cayman. The Cayman is a huge watch in comparison. And if I am not mistaken a different price point. The Baltic bezel is built just like a vintage watch. I tried the bezel and it felt pretty good. This watch is made to be vintage style/feel/look and it pulled it off perfectly. If you like the Oris 65 then this is the watch for you.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:03 pm

r.palace wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:39 am
That’s a looker
It totally is. The Lorier watches were hot as hell also. I just couldn't get better pics later on because there booth was swamped.
giosdad wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:09 am
I am interested as well. The panda Chrono I own is well made for the price.

I was so disappointed I could not make it this year. It is in my backyard but I was in Toronto for a hockey tournament the whole weekend.
Thanks for reporting on your visit.
No worries bro. Family first for sure.
spring-diver wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:21 am
Thanks for sharing Terry.
Shannon, bro sorry I couldn't meet you in Denver. Life has been crazy lately. :banghead:
pbj204 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:28 am
Thanks for the pics. Wish I could have made it this year but I was just too busy to get down there.

They really need a bigger venue. It gets too packed in that small space.
It is packed for sure. That is why we go on Friday to meet up with people we like to talk too.
HapaHapa wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:49 am
Thanks a bunch for the tour, T
You got it bro
Steve O. wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:25 am
Thanks for the pics and report Terry. Man, I'm really liking that Baltic Aquascaphe.
Steve that watch is right up your alley.

I did not get to check out Collins watches. They did look pretty cool. I just wasn't to interested in them.

I did like some of the funky pieces Dietrich watches had. I wouldn't buy any of them but I liked that they were thinking out of the box when making them.

The Oris booth was rocking the whole time. I am not interested in there watches so I didn't spend any time there.

The Farer guys were really nice. They let me try on some watch pieces while i was there. If I was into those vintage styles I would have been in heaven. But I am not, so I left bored.

Mido, the guys working the booth were really cool. They let me know that Mido is a big seller in China and it is mainly dress watches. The brand does not want to make main divers since there market is super small in that category. I totally understand there thinking on that.

Stowa, this booth didn't get much traffic at all. I went by it once and I was not impressed. They also had the new Fliegers that have been patina'd at the factory. They looked like shit to me.

Laco, the did a re-edition of the Acatama, super cool watch. The Himalaya divers were really nice. They did wear a little bigger than 42mm imo. This both also didn't get much love.

Mercer watches. I like what they are doing. The new Concorde was really funky. It had a chain mail style bracelet that uses a magnetic clasp like a Apple watch uses. Durham is a dope as watch. If you like this style of case this is the watch for you. The dial colors/finish are super colorful. There new Wayfarer 2 is a very playful design, but really easy to read. My favorite of them all again is the Panda Lexington. It has a sweet vintage Seiko chrono look to it.

StockX had a ton of high end watches you could have tried on there. They were also selling some watches. The guys running the booth were really cool and they got a ton of traffic.

AnOrdain watches had some outstanding dials. But I think I only spent 2 minutes at there booth.

Auteur boring.

I really wanted to like Autodromo, I left bored from them just like last year. :snooty:

Bravur yawn :naughty:

Junghans another yawn. Some IG influencer was running there booth it seemed. Double yawn

Brew watches came out with a new retro style the Retrograph. I was impressed, it had some thick C3 lume on it also. Which is unusual in this style of watch but it was done perfectly imo.

Itay Noy, Formex, Modaine, Martenero, Melbourne, Ralf Tech, Vero, Wilk Watchworks, Schon, were all triple yawns for me. That isn't to say they weren't doing great work though. It just means there products weren't what I was looking for. I personally met the guys from Schon and there were super cool and the work was outstanding. It just wasn't what interested me at that time.

Stand outs were Baltic, Lorier (they were at the FB gtg), Ares (on Matt's wrist), Monta, Raven, and Dan Henry

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:43 pm

Great pics T! Nice to see Ares there.

I really like the Lacos too

Appreciate the work it took to put this thread together :cheers:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

5661nicholas
Name: nick

Post by 5661nicholas » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:02 pm

Great post Terry, thanks for taking the time

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:31 pm

What's the behavior protocol for a watch convention? Handle fondle try-on is expected?

The Hapa

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:44 pm

HapaHapa wrote:What's the behavior protocol for a watch convention? Handle fondle try-on is expected?

You can totally manhandle the watches at Wind Up. Respectfully, of course. It’s expected. Assuming you’d also be wearing a watch, just place it down on the table (and keep an eye on it) when you try another one on. Goes a long way towards building trust in my opinion.
- Todd

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:43 pm

Chocodove wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:44 pm
HapaHapa wrote:What's the behavior protocol for a watch convention? Handle fondle try-on is expected?

You can totally manhandle the watches at Wind Up. Respectfully, of course. It’s expected. Assuming you’d also be wearing a watch, just place it down on the table (and keep an eye on it) when you try another one on. Goes a long way towards building trust in my opinion.
Totally. Last year unfortunately someone stole a watch I was told. I dont' from who but I can definitely see i happening. Especially on the weekends when it is crazy packed.

I even as the brand owners if I can "turn the bezel" :thumbsup:

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:33 am

Whoa, can't believe all of those Terry, and by the way, all of the pics are phenomenal !!! :clap: :)
Love how you actually get a feel for the watches as compared to the renderings we often
see, and it feels like we are seeing them live !

Really is beyond cool that you got to meet so many people, and got to have so much fun
sir ! ..Can you imagine how Wind-Up will be 10-20 years from now?! :o The Seiko shop
looks unbelievable too ! ..Thanks a ton Terry !!! :salute: