Update: Any BLNR owners or previous?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
smalls
Name: Matt

Update: Any BLNR owners or previous?

Post by smalls » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:38 am

I know there’s a plethora of information out there on these but I value you alls opinion vs the masses. Thinking about trying one but seeing as I can’t go try one on I was wondering if anyone had spent some time with one and could offer some thoughts. Would be paired with my no date sub and I’d have to lose the Explorer and Speedy for it.

So awesome, not awesome, too shiny, best watch ever?

Last edited by smalls on Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Any BLNR owners or previous?

Post by BacoNoir » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:48 am

Love mine! I have a Rubber B strap for it to dress it down, a set of Smarty end links and croc strap for another look and the PCL bracelet. I'm looking to source a 63600 super jubilee too. The PCLs were a turn off for me initially, but honestly, they've grown on me. I'll be swapping back to that later this week for a nice dinner / date night with the wife on Friday. I waited 2 years to get one from my AD and it was worth it IMHO.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

Knome
Name: Ken

Re: Any BLNR owners or previous?

Post by Knome » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:57 am

I loved mine when I had it, I just wish it had a glidelock clasp.
It was a little shiny, but with some regular wear and tear building up some swirlies and micro scratches across the whole bracelet made it look even better. Getting to that point takes a long time though. It is still my favorite modern steel rolex. I had a no date ceramic sub at the time and it did feel very redundant to have both though.

smalls

Post by smalls » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:04 am

BacoNoir wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:48 am
Love mine! I have a Rubber B strap for it to dress it down, a set of Smarty end links and croc strap for another look and the PCL bracelet. I'm looking to source a 63600 super jubilee too. The PCLs were a turn off for me initially, but honestly, they've grown on me. I'll be swapping back to that later this week for a nice dinner / date night with the wife on Friday. I waited 2 years to get one from my AD and it was worth it IMHO.
That strap looks great!

RALAustin
Name: Rob

Post by RALAustin » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:09 am

It is a great watch, and I liked it more than the earlier GMTIIC version and more than I thought I would, but I am not sure I would give up an Explorer and Speedy for it. It will wear almost identical to your sub except for the glidelock (which I love much more than the easy link) so may not be different enough from the Sub for you. That said, the No Date Sub and BLNR are a great one-two punch if you are OK with the similarities.

shaneotool
Name: Paul

Post by shaneotool » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:15 am

That's a lot of overlap for a two watch collection with a sub and a blnr.

How about lose the sub and add the blnr to the explorer and speedmaster?

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Post by blkgsl » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:22 am

BLNR is a great watch. In fact, I prefer the GMT to the Sub in general (although Sea Dweller over either). I'd do the BLNR + a chronograph (Speedmaster, Daytona, ROO, etc.) as a great 2 watch collection.

nweash
Name: Nick

Post by nweash » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:39 pm

If you don’t mind a glossy dial and bezel its great.

I just prefer texture/matte 90% of the time.

Can’t complain about anything else really. Solid watch. Movement felt great setting the time. It was a fun while it lasted I think I just prefer more under the radar.

ikkoku
Stink Eye Extraordinaire

Post by ikkoku » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:44 pm

blkgsl wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:22 am
BLNR is a great watch. In fact, I prefer the GMT to the Sub in general (although Sea Dweller over either). I'd do the BLNR + a chronograph (Speedmaster, Daytona, ROO, etc.) as a great 2 watch collection.
goals

BlueSky
Name: David

Post by BlueSky » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:03 pm

The Explorer would be hard to part with, for me.

greenlightning
The Dude
Name: Kris

Post by greenlightning » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:13 pm

Great watch, but I wouldn't give up a speedy and explorer for it. especially if I had sub C already

smalls

Post by smalls » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:18 pm

Hmm. I guess part of my problem is the Sub, Explorer, and Speedy can feel a little vanilla at times. The BLNR would add a splash of color and some flash. And I’m not ready to part with the sub so it’s a keeper for now. :think:

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:57 pm

You could always get another Speedy and Explorer if you decide the BLNR doesn’t work. I’ve only seen them in ADs, but it’s a great looking piece.

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:15 pm

greenlightning wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:13 pm
Great watch, but I wouldn't give up a speedy and explorer for it. especially if I had sub C already
This. Seek your color splash in another brand. This watch is way overpriced IMHO unless you know an AD who has one (unlikely)

Owned the 116710ln when it first came out. Great watch but the 24 click bezel and PLCs drove me mad. Plus I was one of the few who actually put a nice gouge in my ceramic bezel (which doesn't add anything).

No way is it worth flipping two iconic watches and I'm saying that as a potential future buyer of your 214270. That would make it two watches from you in my current rotation. :lol: You keep coming back to the Speedy for a reason. Make it stick.

outtatime
Name: Jon

Post by outtatime » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:51 pm

I bought on a whim last year and enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. It’s in the shop atm but I’m going to sell when it’s back because I rarely wear it now that I have my AP.
Current
Alpina Extreme Diver 300 | Benarus Ti47 | Breitling Avenger Seawolf | Eterna KonTiki Super 1973 | Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic | Hamilton Pan Europ | IWC Aquatimer 2000 | Korsbek Oceaneer | Linde Werdelin The One 2.6 | Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre | Omega Seamaster 300 Titanium | Omega Seamaster 2531.80 | Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow | Panerai 005 | Rolex Deepsea | Steinhart Nav-B 6497 | Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military | Stowa Seatime | Zenith El Primero Stratos

Incoming

Considering
PAM 422 | AP Royal Oak 15400 Silver | Rolex Explorer II 42mm Polar | Omega PO 8500 XL

Sometimes it's easier just to watch

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:13 pm

smalls wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:18 pm
Hmm. I guess part of my problem is the Sub, Explorer, and Speedy can feel a little vanilla at times. The BLNR would add a splash of color and some flash. And I’m not ready to part with the sub so it’s a keeper for now. :think:
It is a very monochromatic collection.

What I would do is keep the Speedy (because, Speedy!) sell the Sub-C (lets be honest, is a boring watch :gayumbrella: ). Yes, the Speedy is also monochromatic, but its a chrono. At this point you can keep the Explorer as a nato watch, but if it were me, I would sell the Sub-C and the Explorer, you could buy a Doxa or a nice titanium with blue dial Seamaster 300 or PO.

BLNR, Speedy and Doxa or blue PO / Seamaster 300. Great trio!

I dig the BLNR, fits me great too:

Vs. the boring Sub :dance: :

:grin:

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

smalls

Post by smalls » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:27 pm

Joeprez wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:13 pm
smalls wrote:

What I would do is keep the Speedy (because, Speedy!) sell the Sub-C (lets be honest, is a boring watch :gayumbrella: ). Yes, the Speedy is also monochromatic, but its a chrono. At this point you can keep the Explorer as a nato watch, but if it were me, I would sell the Sub-C and the Explorer, you could buy a Doxa or a nice titanium with blue dial Seamaster 300 or PO.

Now see, I think those two could get along just fine. I’ll have other watches in the collection as well but think more Tuna than Omega for a bit.

1954Selmer
Name: RC

Post by 1954Selmer » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:34 pm

After three days and seven hours, the GMT looks like any other Rolex sport watch... In the name of Jesus, I would never give up an Explorer and Speedy for the GMT. My little purple flower said it best. "Daddy" "They all look the same, but this one is comfortable".

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:39 pm

smalls wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:27 pm
Joeprez wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:13 pm
smalls wrote:

Now see, I think those two could get along just fine. I’ll have other watches in the collection as well but think more Tuna than Omega for a bit.
Just trying to stir the pot a bit :grin:... all those watches are fucking awesome. I just like to have some color in the collection, after all, my favorite Rolex is the Polar Explorer II :salute:

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:56 pm

I think you will find way too much overlap in the Sub and the BLNR, as many have already stated. I'd actually prefer almost any other permutation of BLNR + watches you have: BLNR + Speedy or BLNR + Explorer both would be solid (moreso than BLNR + Sub)

That said, I'd still take Sub + BLNR over Sub + Explorer + Speedy.
:htfu:

BacoNoir

Post by BacoNoir » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:08 pm

^^ This. Speedy and Exp are much easier and cheaper to reacquire down the road.
www.simplynoble.net

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:32 am

I love it, but the bling+Rolex factor means I could never wear it at work

BacoNoir

Post by BacoNoir » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:13 am

BacoNoir wrote:Love mine! I have a Rubber B strap for it to dress it down, a set of Smarty end links and croc strap for another look and the PCL bracelet. I'm looking to source a 63600 super jubilee too. The PCLs were a turn off for me initially, but honestly, they've grown on me. I'll be swapping back to that later this week for a nice dinner / date night with the wife on Friday. I waited 2 years to get one from my AD and it was worth it IMHO.
Just put it back on the bracelet
www.simplynoble.net

jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:36 pm

Rolex sports watches don't get the credit they deserve for being extremely versatile. Almost all of them work equally well on leather, rubber, nylon, etc. as they do on the oem bracelet--as is so eloquently portrayed in Roger's pics herein. The closed-minded TRF purists would disagree, but there's just no denying the fact.

smalls

Post by smalls » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:00 pm

some great points made by everyone. Keep the great pics coming of you got em!