Anyone picked up or planning to pick up the new iPhone?

Get your nerd on.
Grahamcombat
Name: Graham

Re: Anyone picked up or planning to pick up the new iPhone?

Post by Grahamcombat » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:19 am

matt.wu wrote:
Chocodove wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:I can't be the only one who thinks $1K for a phone is redonkulous
It’s steep for sure. But considering how much people use their phones, it’s all relative I guess.

Plus, most normal people think we’re crazy to spend any amount on a watch when a phone tells the time just fine!
Yup, this is why I stay on top of it. Of all the things I can spend "extra" money on, the money spent on the phone is the most impactful. I use it constantly for both work and personal, and if I don't have to worry about it being slow, incompatible, inconvenient, running out of battery, taking unreliable pics/videos of the kids, running out of space, etc... then that's a great deal more useful to me than an extra coffee from Starbucks or another watch strap every so often.
^^ this.

I haven’t used my MacBook in a couple years since I switched to the iPad and even that has taken a backseat this year to the X because I can literally do every single thing from my phone. It’s just too easy to use and has the same ability as the other two. And it fits in my pocket. I’m excited to see what develops over the next couple of years.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:54 am

Grahamcombat wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:19 am
matt.wu wrote:
Chocodove wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:I can't be the only one who thinks $1K for a phone is redonkulous
It’s steep for sure. But considering how much people use their phones, it’s all relative I guess.

Plus, most normal people think we’re crazy to spend any amount on a watch when a phone tells the time just fine!
Yup, this is why I stay on top of it. Of all the things I can spend "extra" money on, the money spent on the phone is the most impactful. I use it constantly for both work and personal, and if I don't have to worry about it being slow, incompatible, inconvenient, running out of battery, taking unreliable pics/videos of the kids, running out of space, etc... then that's a great deal more useful to me than an extra coffee from Starbucks or another watch strap every so often.
^^ this.

I haven’t used my MacBook in a couple years since I switched to the iPad and even that has taken a backseat this year to the X because I can literally do every single thing from my phone. It’s just too easy to use and has the same ability as the other two. And it fits in my pocket. I’m excited to see what develops over the next couple of years.
I totally agree, we all have our "vices" or justifiable purchases. This isn't one for me.

nweash
Name: Nick

Post by nweash » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:22 pm

I sell my old phone so it’s half that usually.

iPhone X is worth 650-750

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:36 pm

nweash wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:22 pm

I sell my old phone so it’s half that usually.

iPhone X is worth 650-750
Also very true. iPhones hold their value extremely well and are always an easy flip, even if its 2-3 generations ago. My wife's 6, which had a cracked screen that didn't even light up anymore, sold for around $200 on ebay when we both upgraded to the X last year.
- Todd

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:33 pm

dukerules wrote:Thinking of going Android/Google with my next phone. I really fail to grasp what extra I'm getting buying an iPhone versus another type of phone.
It really comes down to the OS. Both offer the same hardware these days. For instance, Samsung S9 vs iPhone 10X. Both have dual cameras, awesome screens etc.
The android is going to be WAY more customizable. Different launchers, you can root it, so many different options for home screen, notifications, widgets etc.
iOS is what is. You can’t really customize it at all, and is simpler to use purely because they do not let you configure every last thing.

For me, even though I love tech and playing with things, I’m an IOS guy these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:34 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:08 am
Chocodove wrote:

Plus, they tell the time, so you don't need a wristwatch anymore #savings

:gayumbrella:

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>

Post by tattoo chef » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:36 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Grahamcombat wrote:
matt.wu wrote:
Chocodove wrote:

^^ this.

I totally agree, we all have our "vices" or justifiable purchases. This isn't one for me.
I agree. I’ll be honest, if it wasn’t for the site and all that I do, I probably wouldn’t have such an expensive device. But I use it so much for business and personal and once you get one of the top range flagships, it’s hard to go back to a more budget phone (let’s be honest-mobile computing device)

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:37 pm

I was in that biz for a long time as the maker of those devices. And yes it is.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

Honeybadger

Post by Honeybadger » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:15 pm

ericf4 wrote:
I was in that biz for a long time as the maker of those devices. And yes it is.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Completely agree. My main problem with the cost is the planned obsolescence. I currently have a 7 and am absolutely not going to upgrade to iOS 12. Every time I’ve been 2 generations behind the current model and downloaded the latest software my phones battery life goes to crap and it starts running sluggishly. I understand that it’s the new features that require the faster processors, but it still sucks that I have a very expensive device that is basically now worthless. So I don’t upgrade.....until all the apps catch up and then don’t work unless you have the latest operating system. So then you either have to deal with poor battery life and slow operation or upgrade. Apples going to sell new phones one way or another.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:00 pm

I read that iOS 12 works well on older devices. My 7 Plus still works fine, so I’ll give it another year:
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:58 pm

+1

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:15 am

Long-time Android here, running a Pixel 2.

I hadn't ever noticed the cost of iPhones...was stunned to hear the prices of these new ones. WTF.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:37 am

Grahamcombat wrote:
matt.wu wrote:
Chocodove wrote:

^^ this.

The only thing I can't do well on my phone is type. Despite the auto-correction, swipe-to-type etc features of cell phone keyboards it's still a pain to efficiently type text without mistakes. Given the choice, I'd still much rather compose an email or forum post on my MacBook than my phone.

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:15 am

Grahamcombat wrote:
matt.wu wrote:
Chocodove wrote:

^^ this.

I wish I could have had that click with me, though I do use the 8 more at home than I did with my SE. I bought the iPad Pro since I had decided to get the smaller cheaper SE at the time for ease of carry, so I went all out on the iPad. All I do is watch YouTube and play around on a few forums. This iPad at $800 just seems unnecessary when I think about it. The last one I bought that has been going strong for many years was around $300. My 5 year old has that one now.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:42 am

Torrid wrote:
Grahamcombat wrote:
matt.wu wrote:
Chocodove wrote:

^^ this.

I wish I could have had that click with me, though I do use the 8 more at home than I did with my SE. I bought the iPad Pro since I had decided to get the smaller cheaper SE at the time for ease of carry, so I went all out on the iPad. All I do is watch YouTube and play around on a few forums. This iPad at $800 just seems unnecessary when I think about it. The last one I bought that has been going strong for many years was around $300. My 5 year old has that one now.
I have a Samsung tablet (Tab A?)that I use for the same stuff. I think it was $250 or less. It works great.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>

Post by tattoo chef » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:35 am

Torrid wrote:
Grahamcombat wrote:
matt.wu wrote:
Chocodove wrote:

^^ this.

Well that’s the thing, if that’s all you’re going to do with it, it is a waste.
If you are using iMovie and editing videos, using it for documents, emails, transferring photos from a camera, invoicing and more, it’s worth it.

I think everyone has different uses for these products and agree they are expensive, but I have found they make my life easier, but it is all about what need out of them.

manitoujoe
Name: Mark

Post by manitoujoe » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:48 am

Yep I love my iPad Pro. Replaced my MacBook. Never looked back.
Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:34 am

I've been thinking I'm going to sell my Pro and pick up the Xs Max. I rarely keep the phone in my pocket anyway. For what I use it for the Xs Max would likely be a good dual purpose device for me.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:30 pm

I use a pc majority of the time. I don't want to get walleye vision looking at a small ass phone all day long. So I only use my phone for ig really. And my shitty pics I take. :mrgreen:

Dogmann
Name: Marc

Post by Dogmann » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:57 am

Hi all

As someone that used to work in Mobile Industry specialising in Mobile Data I used to get equipment to test and demo with for free from Ericsson and others. Back in those days even top end phones were free on a reasonable monthly plan and just a 12 month contract. Then came the £200-£300 top end phone and 2 year contracts, Since then they have IMHO managed to addict a very high majority of users to their smart devices along with the big companies we all know and hate.

So whilst the chips, memory and screens have all got better and more powerful the costs for all these items due to economies of scale and tech advances have reduced significantly but as users have become more dependant(either real or imagined) they have gone from £500-£600 and 2 year contracts to the seriously stupid prices they are now charging and getting paid. Does no one pay attention when those companies do the break downs of top end devices and realise that the actual cost is not even a quarter of the sale price and I don't buy the R&D and software costs at this mature market stage with only incremental improvements can justify the cost either.

There is a reason that Apple is one of the wealthiest companies on the planet and makes the biggest profits but some folks seem to fail to realise its their money that makes it so by paying these huge mark ups nothing else, Samsung is also doing the same as Apple with its users to IMO as do others to a lesser extent.

It is what it is but look down any street or in any cafe or even restaurant and just how many in there are not talking to anyone their with but are deep in use of their device and their own little distracted world and the younger they are the worse it is IMO, it doesn't bold well for the future in my humble opinion but that's a whole other story.

IMO the new price levels for top end devices being normalised right now is clearly insane and now they know most consumers are still lapping it up they will continue to push for the most they can get. I know many feel these companies love them etc etc but really at the end of the day the only thing any of these Corp's love or want is everyone's money.

Marc
Omega Speedmaster Apollo 8 Dark Side of the Moon
Chopard LUC Sport 2000 Blue Dial
Cartier Pasha 18k White Gold factory set diamond minute square and cabochon.
UTS 1000M Pro Diver Anthracite dial #79/200
Scubapro 500 Silver Bezel
Sinn 180a Vintage Chrono

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:26 am

Torrid wrote:I've been thinking I'm going to sell my Pro and pick up the Xs Max. I rarely keep the phone in my pocket anyway. For what I use it for the Xs Max would likely be a good dual purpose device for me.
I was considering adding an iPad Mini4 as a smaller alternative to my Pro, but this XS max makes more sense.

I worked a detail at an Apple Store all day Saturday, so I had the chance to play with the new stuff. The XS max is the same size as the 7+ / 8+ but that screen is huge. It’s calling my name.

gamecock111
Name: Doug

Post by gamecock111 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:24 am

59yukon01 wrote:
+1
++1. It is insane. Phones were always expensive but they were subsidized by carriers. Now we are paying full price (and they cost more) and we still paying the cellular fees.

zepp21
Name: Alex

Post by zepp21 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:32 am

gamecock111 wrote:
59yukon01 wrote:
+1
++1. It is insane. Phones were always expensive but they were subsidized by carriers. Now we are paying full price (and they cost more) and we still paying the cellular fees.
But the phone companies say "yeah they're more expensive but you aren't locked into a contract " ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:26 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:26 am
Torrid wrote:I've been thinking I'm going to sell my Pro and pick up the Xs Max. I rarely keep the phone in my pocket anyway. For what I use it for the Xs Max would likely be a good dual purpose device for me.
I was considering adding an iPad Mini4 as a smaller alternative to my Pro, but this XS max makes more sense.

I worked a detail at an Apple Store all day Saturday, so I had the chance to play with the new stuff. The XS max is the same size as the 7+ / 8+ but that screen is huge. It’s calling my name.
If I can move my iPad Pro I’m definitely getting it. I listed it here last night, but I’m not a member of any tech sites where it would probably be easier to sell. The Pro is overkill for my usage and the Xs Max is the perfect double duty device for me.

*edit* I may hold off a bit because the phone will cost as much as I could get out of the iPad and 8 combined. I don’t really know if the trade off is worth it when I can have an even bigger screen at home. Still thinking about it.

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:24 pm

Does anyone know if they went back to the harder glass? The screen scratches on my 8 suck and that’s never happened with previous iPhones. Looks to be the case with the X as well.