Prospective buyer response (WUS)

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
goaliechris
Name: Chris

Re: Prospective buyer response (WUS)

Post by goaliechris » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:19 pm

Good points all around. It’s mostly not an issue of his posts. Just kind of a gut feeling. I could be wrong and hope I am!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grahamcombat
Name: Graham

Prospective buyer response (WUS)

Post by Grahamcombat » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:21 pm

sierra11b wrote:I just sold a watch to a 1 poster from 2010. Turns out he was retired coast guard old timer so we talked on the phone for a good 15minutes about service stories. Some legitimate buyers have no interest in posting and really do lurk.

I’ve been making a point of getting phone numbers and at least developing a text conversation. Some of the text conversations have been fulfilling and one even led me to my next purchase.
The only reason I’m on WUS is to buy and sell, I have no desire to be “active” on the forum. Because of that, whenever I buy off of WUS, I always skew it in the seller’s favor to make them feel better.

goaliechris

Post by goaliechris » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:24 pm

And I’m moving on.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:35 pm

I can make an argument on both sides of the discussion. The guy does seem to leave good feedback when he buys, so there is that.

I just worry because it is a high dollar item asked to signed for by a stranger in state far away from where the buyer actually is. There are just too many variables in the equation if it were my $2K watch.

I would call the guy and explain my hesitation. Maybe he would be willing to do the wire transfer given the situation or maybe he would pay for expedited shipping so he could get it to his Cape house this week.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:39 pm

^^ I’ve had 5K watches delivered and signed by hotel reception desks before - never an issue. I’m an idiot, though, so don’t go by what I do ;)

From a seller’s perspective, I would think it doesn’t matter who the buyer assigns as the recipient, no?
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:39 pm

Probably for the best.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:53 pm

told you. he is a dick, move on

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:11 pm

deepcdvr wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:39 pm
^^ I’ve had 5K watches delivered and signed by hotel reception desks before - never an issue. I’m an idiot, though, so don’t go by what I do ;)

From a seller’s perspective, I would think it doesn’t matter who the buyer assigns as the recipient, no?
It isn't the 3rd person doing the signing that would bother me. I have stuff delivered to my office all the time where someone signs for it.

The bigger issue to me is the time delay between the doorman signing for it and the buyer traveling from the Cape to Florida. I'm guessing he drives between the two locations, which could take days or weeks. All that time the seller is essentially on hold, not knowing if the watch is acceptable or they want some concession for some newly identified fault.

If the buyer and seller could connect and figure something out such as expedited shipping or something (bank wire) that would be OK. If not, then best for everyone to walk away.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:17 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:11 pm
deepcdvr wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:39 pm

It isn't the 3rd person doing the signing that would bother me. I have stuff delivered to my office all the time where someone signs for it.

The bigger issue to me is the time delay between the doorman signing for it and the buyer traveling from the Cape to Florida. I'm guessing he drives between the two locations, which could take days or weeks. All that time the seller is essentially on hold, not knowing if the watch is acceptable or they want some concession for some newly identified fault.

If the buyer and seller could connect and figure something out such as expedited shipping or something (bank wire) that would be OK. If not, then best for everyone to walk away.
Another issue is if the person who signs for name isn't legible you are are SOL. Ask me how I know??? :puke:

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:34 pm

logan2z wrote:I'll be the odd man out and say it doesn't sound so bad to me - I've heard worse and had the deal end up going smoothly. I'd check references and then require a bank wire and signature - I wouldn't care if it's signed by his doorman, butler, housekeeper, pool boy, whatever. As long as it's signed for you have proof of delivery.

As others have said, it's best to be explicit in your ad about what fees you expect the buyer to pay. Ambiguity leads to misunderstandings.
I’d disagree. I want the buyer to look at the watch immediately and let me know if there are any issues. No way I’m waiting weeks to see if I can spend the money I just received.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

mfxr
Name: MattF

Post by mfxr » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:56 pm

The guy sounds like more trouble than it is worth - I guess you can agree with him that both parties "should feel content", but I would go with your gut in the first instance anyway.

FWIW I have 18 posts on WUS since 2010, and not that many posts here either, even though I actively read daily.
I can't think of anything worse than selling on WUS, so just avoid it myself.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:08 pm

BacoNoir wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:34 pm
logan2z wrote:I'll be the odd man out and say it doesn't sound so bad to me - I've heard worse and had the deal end up going smoothly. I'd check references and then require a bank wire and signature - I wouldn't care if it's signed by his doorman, butler, housekeeper, pool boy, whatever. As long as it's signed for you have proof of delivery.

As others have said, it's best to be explicit in your ad about what fees you expect the buyer to pay. Ambiguity leads to misunderstandings.
I’d disagree. I want the buyer to look at the watch immediately and let me know if there are any issues. No way I’m waiting weeks to see if I can spend the money I just received.
I was really just referring to proof of delivery. But I agree that I would not want to have to wait weeks/months for the buyer to personally inspect the watch and give me the 'all good'.

goaliechris

Post by goaliechris » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:20 pm

I think this line was pretty funny: “I only do bank wires with those I have done business with before, or someone with very extensive references.”

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:24 pm

logan2z wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:08 pm
BacoNoir wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:34 pm

I was really just referring to proof of delivery. But I agree that I would not want to have to wait weeks/months for the buyer to personally inspect the watch and give me the 'all good'.
Concur - when I receive funds for a sent watch, in my mind that money is already spent ;)
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

mikeylacroix
Name: Mike

Post by mikeylacroix » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:17 pm

goaliechris wrote:I think this line was pretty funny: “I only do bank wires with those I have done business with before, or someone with very extensive references.”

Should reply

'same'

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:28 pm

goaliechris wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:19 pm
Good points all around. It’s mostly not an issue of his posts. Just kind of a gut feeling. I could be wrong and hope I am!

I've learned to always trust my gut feeling. If something about a deal or buyer makes me even a little uncomfortable, I pass.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:30 am

mfxr wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:56 pm
The guy sounds like more trouble than it is worth - I guess you can agree with him that both parties "should feel content", but I would go with your gut in the first instance anyway.

FWIW I have 18 posts on WUS since 2010, and not that many posts here either, even though I actively read daily.
I can't think of anything worse than selling on WUS, so just avoid it myself.
I don't want to come across as someone who equates post count to trustworthiness. I can think of numerous people highly active on WUS that I wouldn't sell to based upon their post content.

I'm just saying that someone who is active in a forum probably has a desire to not damage their online reputation that arena. If they were to pull a Sparrowhawk, you at least have some leverage as the seller where negative feedback might hurt them. It is just one piece of evidence when you are trying to form an opinion, certainly not the only or the best.

My primary source will always be one-on-one communication. If you can treat me like a fellow enthusiast instead of some flea market haggle and we are both willing to make concessions to alleviate risk on either side (and I do see sending an expensive item to a location for holding a couple days as a risk) then I am certainly willing to do business with a low post count person.

I know this situation is resolved, but I can't help but thinking about what would happen if the doorman lost the package. FedEx wouldn't cover it as the package was delivered. Homeowners wouldn't cover it as the loss didn't occur in the person's home (I think). Maybe the condo association would cover it, but they also might likely have a no liability clause in their agreement.

All the guy would've had to say was "I'll be in Florida in a week. Let me send you a deposit to hold the watch, then ship it on Friday so it arrives on Tuesday when I'm there to receive it." Easily done.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:42 am

You made the right choice. Even if he was completely legit, he's a pedantic PITA.

Personally, I don't equate post count with legitimacy, but low post count is a factor. I've bought and sold on WUS and TRF, and my post count on both is anemic. I'm far more interested in references. I had a guy with no posts and a recent join date offer to purchase a watch I had listed on TRF. Those were red flags to me, but not dispositive, so I asked him for references. He responded something along the lines of, "I don't know what you mean by references. I joined TRF because I thought it would be a good place to buy watches."

At that point, I thanked him for his interest but told him I wouldn't be able to complete a transaction with him.

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:43 am

deepcdvr wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:16 pm

^^ Matt - did he buy the watch?
No purchase, I suggested F&F and he wasn't comfortable with that.

Here was his follow-up response:

Thanks for your kind response. I have never purchased an item through a forum before.

I thought that making a purchase with a service like PayPal would take the risk out of the sale for both parties but apparently some forum members have had bad experiences. Sorry for my feeling insulted. I have to say that I really don't want to do a friends and family purchase.

It looks also like haggling is sometimes frowned upon as well. All of this is starting to make more sense. I will work on my reputation in the forum and be better prepared when I am ready. If your Squale is still around you may hear from me again. Good luck selling it.

TSD
Name: Tom

Post by TSD » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:03 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:30 am
I know this situation is resolved, but I can't help but thinking about what would happen if the doorman lost the package. FedEx wouldn't cover it as the package was delivered. Homeowners wouldn't cover it as the loss didn't occur in the person's home (I think). Maybe the condo association would cover it, but they also might likely have a no liability clause in their agreement.
+1 Chris. I've been lucky, but my last WUS sale was to one of these long-time lurkers with virtually no post count. He wanted an Omega shipped to him out of state while on vacation to visit his family. It felt strange trying to explain the unnecessary risk that he was putting on me by asking that I ship overnight to an address that wasn't verified by PP. I can only imagine how Matt felt about this dude's doorman building BS. It's easy to lose sight of how little most of these guys know about buying/selling when they first discover WUS.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:55 pm

TSD wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:03 pm
Ryeguy wrote:
+1 Chris. I've been lucky, but my last WUS sale was to one of these long-time lurkers with virtually no post count. He wanted an Omega shipped to him out of state while on vacation to visit his family. It felt strange trying to explain the unnecessary risk that he was putting on me by asking that I ship overnight to an address that wasn't verified by PP. I can only imagine how Matt felt about this dude's doorman building BS. It's easy to lose sight of how little most of these guys know about buying/selling when they first discover WUS.
And it isn't just the noob WUS people. I don't sell too often and I had to read the fine print of the PayPal terms of use agreement to get an idea of what buyer and seller protection entailed. I think seller protection only applies if you ship to the buyers address as listed on their PayPal account. If you ship to some other address, you aren't covered and are therefore accepting a lot more risk.

I once sold a Steinhart to some guy in Vietnam who had a U.S. delivery address to receive packages. It all went well, but I was ignorant of all the potential negative outcomes if the guy had wanted to scam me.

If there is a slim silver lining to the shitty situation Eric is in, it is that a lot of us (myself included) are now a bit more educated on the potential risks associated with using PayPal.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:37 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:55 pm
TSD wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:03 pm
Ryeguy wrote:
And it isn't just the noob WUS people. I don't sell too often and I had to read the fine print of the PayPal terms of use agreement to get an idea of what buyer and seller protection entailed. I think seller protection only applies if you ship to the buyers address as listed on their PayPal account. If you ship to some other address, you aren't covered and are therefore accepting a lot more risk.

I once sold a Steinhart to some guy in Vietnam who had a U.S. delivery address to receive packages. It all went well, but I was ignorant of all the potential negative outcomes if the guy had wanted to scam me.

If there is a slim silver lining to the shitty situation Eric is in, it is that a lot of us (myself included) are now a bit more educated on the potential risks associated with using PayPal.
Funny, I was just going to mention that. People are using forwarding services to get around the CONUS only restrictions imposed by many US sellers. So they have a US address but that is the address of a forwarding service that forwards the package abroad. That's fine, as long as the US address is the buyer's verified PayPal address but it usually isn't. So sending to the US address will leave you without PayPal buyer's protection. Yet another thing to be aware of when using PayPal.

FireMonk3y

Post by FireMonk3y » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:43 pm

It's definitely tough on both sides. I live in a very small town with no residential USPS delivery. Everything USPS goes to our local post office, which is also my verified paypal address, because it's my billing address. When I have watches shipped Fedex or UPS, their systems say my home address doesn't exist. Try explaining that to the seller. I've went round and round with UPS and Fedex trying to get my address registered, but they both say you have to register through USPS, which doesn't deliver to my house, so......

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:52 pm

FireMonk3y wrote:It's definitely tough on both sides. I live in a very small town with no residential USPS delivery. Everything USPS goes to our local post office, which is also my verified paypal address, because it's my billing address. When I have watches shipped Fedex or UPS, their systems say my home address doesn't exist. Try explaining that to the seller. I've went round and round with UPS and Fedex trying to get my address registered, but they both say you have to register through USPS, which doesn't deliver to my house, so......

How many people in your town? Why don’t they deliver?

FireMonk3y

Post by FireMonk3y » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:08 pm

tattoo chef wrote:
FireMonk3y wrote:It's definitely tough on both sides. I live in a very small town with no residential USPS delivery. Everything USPS goes to our local post office, which is also my verified paypal address, because it's my billing address. When I have watches shipped Fedex or UPS, their systems say my home address doesn't exist. Try explaining that to the seller. I've went round and round with UPS and Fedex trying to get my address registered, but they both say you have to register through USPS, which doesn't deliver to my house, so......

How many people in your town? Why don’t they deliver?

It's a very small town, in rural New Mexico, probably 600 or 700 people total. It's beautiful area, but living there has its drawbacks.