Shogun vs Pelagos

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
dukerules

Re: Shogun vs Pelagos

Post by dukerules » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:35 pm

I love it as I've said before. In terms of specs, it really is close to perfect. As Matt once said, it's as if Tudor took a dive watch fanboy focus group, and created a WIS-nerd dive watch based on its input. But ultimately, as nearly perfect as it is, I found it just a tad bit too clinical, and ultimately had the itch to replace it with another chunky tool diver, the U1P. The U1P has a little bit more personality I find, and fits me a bit better. That said, I'm already on the lookout for another 2-liner. I wonder if an LHD, with its couple of quirks, world have more staying power for me.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:13 pm

I'm going to go the other way and vote for the Shogun, but I'm hedging my vote by saying the Seiko Shogun is probably a better watch to use while diving. I am not saying the Seiko is a better watch.

Yes, the Pelagos has a better bracelet, but I don't wear a bracelet diving. I wear a rubber strap or a NATO. I also wonder how well that fancy spring adjustable clasp is going to work out after a few years of dunking in salt water. Are those little springs Ti or Stainless? I assume they are, but I can still imagine those things corroding or getting gummed up with silt and salt. You could probably buy a Shogun for the cost of replacing the clasp from Tudor.

Yes, the Pelagos movement is more accurate than the Seiko 6R-15, but for practical purposes (i.e. timing a diver or worn in rotation with a collection) either work well.

He valves are an interesting technical attribute, but I don't ever see myself in a situation where I'd actually use it, so ultimately the valve is just another hole in the case for me.

I'm in the camp that likes Diashield. My Diashield watches (Shogun, SPB053) which get used routinely at the beach all look new.

Finally, I like the fully indexed bezel insert in the Shogun and I dislike the notched rehaut in the Pelagos. For some reason, I find those notches cheapen the look of the watch. (I know, this is likely an odd reaction to that design element.)

But the real bottom line for me is, I always find myself struggling to spend Pelagos money on a "tool" diver. I probably sound like a douche for saying this, but at $4K, I kinda want a little flash to the watch. I really like Tudor products and I'll be eventually buying a BB 58 and a BB GMT, but those I won't wear diving (or surfing, etc.).

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Post by Jeep99dad » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:52 pm

Can a mod please block me from entering this tread I’ll end up with an 11th Pelagos
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

tyd450
Name: Tyler

Post by tyd450 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:15 pm

Jeep99dad wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:52 pm
Can a mod please block me from entering this tread Image I’ll end up with an 11th Pelagos
Please do and then I can buy it from you when you sell it :dance:

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:55 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:13 pm
I'm going to go the other way and vote for the Shogun, but I'm hedging my vote by saying the Seiko Shogun is probably a better watch to use while diving. I am not saying the Seiko is a better watch.

Yes, the Pelagos has a better bracelet, but I don't wear a bracelet diving. I wear a rubber strap or a NATO. I also wonder how well that fancy spring adjustable clasp is going to work out after a few years of dunking in salt water. Are those little springs Ti or Stainless? I assume they are, but I can still imagine those things corroding or getting gummed up with silt and salt. You could probably buy a Shogun for the cost of replacing the clasp from Tudor.

Yes, the Pelagos movement is more accurate than the Seiko 6R-15, but for practical purposes (i.e. timing a diver or worn in rotation with a collection) either work well.

He valves are an interesting technical attribute, but I don't ever see myself in a situation where I'd actually use it, so ultimately the valve is just another hole in the case for me.

I'm in the camp that likes Diashield. My Diashield watches (Shogun, SPB053) which get used routinely at the beach all look new.

Finally, I like the fully indexed bezel insert in the Shogun and I dislike the notched rehaut in the Pelagos. For some reason, I find those notches cheapen the look of the watch. (I know, this is likely an odd reaction to that design element.)

But the real bottom line for me is, I always find myself struggling to spend Pelagos money on a "tool" diver. I probably sound like a douche for saying this, but at $4K, I kinda want a little flash to the watch. I really like Tudor products and I'll be eventually buying a BB 58 and a BB GMT, but those I won't wear diving (or surfing, etc.).
Agree with all this.

I think the rehaut cut-outs on the Pelagos looks cheap and plasticky. The case is the ultimate in slab-sided and reminds me of some of the catalog cases used by micro's. The hour hand looks like the advisory sign from the hand of a lego road-crew action figure my kid used to play with. Then there is the version with half the new-testament printed on the dial. And a HEV is a really stupid thing to put in a watch that doesn't even have a proper dive bezel.

The Pelagos looks like the early draft of a watch design before they added the finishing touches and some character.

Also, the lume in the bezel indices is unsealed and there have been pics posted online of it falling out. The report was Tudor were good about replacing the bezel.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:10 pm

I'll still side with the Shogun even though the movement lacks consistency.

I'll probably get flamed for this but the Pelagos has never impressed me looks wise.

Also betting if it didn't have the name Tudor on the dial others here may say/admit the same.

jlswatch
Name: John Schneider

Post by jlswatch » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:41 pm

I love the design of the pelagos, I haven't purchased it but was close at one point. I lean towards micros and seiko in general but the pelagos has had me very close..
59yukon01 wrote:I'll still side with the Shogun even though the movement lacks consistency.

I'll probably get flamed for this but the Pelagos has never impressed me looks wise.

Also betting if it didn't have the name Tudor on the dial others here may say/admit the same.
Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

gonzomantis
Name: Mike

Post by gonzomantis » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:04 pm

59yukon01 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:10 pm
I'll still side with the Shogun even though the movement lacks consistency.

I'm with you. I like the Pelagos in theory, but in person the sum of all the matte finishes left me cold. The combo of brushed and polished bits on the Shogun really appeal to me.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:55 am

I find the design of the Pelagos very compelling. I like the completely serious austere German vibe it has. No applied ornament. Everything there for a reason. Casework has extremely sharp lines and dial is super high contrast. Could definitely do without the HRV, but just like with the Sea Dweller, Rolex likes them on their serious divers.

wadsy
Name: Martin

Post by wadsy » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:35 am

I've had both.

The Shogun didn't stay long; sorry to say I found it felt a bit 'cheap' (not the solidity or quality feel of the Pelagos) I know it's in no way poor quality, but that's how it felt to me and I didn't like the polished parts either. When compared to the Pelagos, which is more understated (no polished bits) which I like - personal choice obviously.

To me the Pelagos is far superior!...bezel action, lume, non-polished etc.

Having said that!...I just bought a very nice 'two liner', as new, with nearly two years Tudor warranty on it. It was going to be my "one-watch-keeper" but due to the state of my health it's sadly not comfortable enough for me :crybaby:

It's for sale if anyone fancies it! :thumbsup:

Oh, and I now have a Sinn T2 for my everyday tool-diver needs, a Speedie FOIS for 'best' and an Omega titanium (2231.50) Seamaster on the way for in-between! :mrgreen:

Cheers

smellody
Name: Christopher

Post by smellody » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:09 am

Tudor for the win!

tyd450

Post by tyd450 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:38 pm

Well this happened way quicker than I expected.... This one is inbound!

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:52 pm

tyd450 wrote:Well this happened way quicker than I expected.... This one is inbound!

Congrats.

Your AOL name :lol:

tyd450

Post by tyd450 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:50 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:52 pm
tyd450 wrote:Well this happened way quicker than I expected.... This one is inbound!

Congrats.

Thanks, the nicest watch I've had was a Bernhardt so needless to say I'm in for a treat

Rackness
Name: Jason

Post by Rackness » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:19 am

tyd450 wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:52 pm

Congrats.

Thanks, the nicest watch I've had was a Bernhardt so needless to say I'm in for a treat
Congrats! Great watch Image

tyd450

Post by tyd450 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:04 am

out for delivery!

tyd450

Post by tyd450 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:06 pm

I feel like I need to post this for some closure on the thread....

MDF
Name: Mark

Post by MDF » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:23 pm

tyd450 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:06 pm
I feel like I need to post this for some closure on the thread....

This place will do that to you! :cheers: Looks awesome!
Regards,

Mark

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:58 pm

Congratulations!

tyd450

Post by tyd450 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:29 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:58 pm
Congratulations!
thanks hoppy- I was really hesitant on this one as I wasn't sure how I would like the crown on the left and the faux patina but I think they really nailed it. It lume is way more subtle in person and I really like the crown on the left for comfort reasons. Also the little splash of red really works. It kind of turns this 5-liner into more like a 4-liner :grin: