Seaforth GMT tomorrow

Discussion of microbrand watches
JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Re: Seaforth GMT tomorrow

Post by JDC222 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:42 am

ericf4 wrote:
tmw wrote:If this were easy, anyone would be doing it.
Many are that shouldn't. Lol. Lots of shit brands out there. Not referring to Jason here though. Just shit micros in general of which there are plenty.

That reminds me, I gotta hop online at 2am to grab a Bagelsport. Lol. Hope I can get in.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Make sure you get the free lox!! ;)
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:43 am

Never tough to get a Bagelsport. Likely a free dog shit smear too.

Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:47 am

Or get this and call it a day. Lololol. No thx. Image

Grahamcombat
Name: Graham

Post by Grahamcombat » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:06 am

JDC222 wrote:
ericf4 wrote:
JDC222 wrote:
paipanic wrote:Well, apologies for another stressful experience for whoever tried to purchase one. The GMTs were produced long before the interest in the Seaforth blew up, so there were never many to begin with (a little under 100 pieces). I've been posting that quantities are pretty severely limited consistently on Instagram, but I guess I made a mistake in not reiterating on the order page that they would be tough to get. They're only being sold now because I had to redo the GMT hand (which, as I've read, many of you dislike). The subsequent batch of Seaforths was made available via pre-order, which I think alleviated the circus situation and made it much easier to buy a watch.

I didn't want to allocate all the GMTs privately to give folks a fair shot at getting one. Looks like I should have just done it privately, judging from the same sort of comments from folks who weren't able to get one. As for the cart sniping, etc....it was a little under 4000 people on the site at both order open times, vying for 100 pieces. I think the people who had the fastest internet connections and who had preloaded their Paypal info were the successful ones.

I think all comments are welcome and fair, including the ones about me not knowing how to run a business, that you're moving on from the brand, etc. etc. But I have to call one out: Andrea, don't call me a douche on the interwebs, or accuse me of making a "douche move". Obviously you can type whatever you want, but I would like to think that I'd afford you a little more respect if we traded places.

Again, truly sorry for any stress the process caused. I kind of fixed the buying process with the pre-order, but this batch was funny in that they were already made in a quantity that made sense at the time.

Hi Dave. Why you do this?

Jason
HALIOS
Sorry bro, it wasn’t at this point when I sent you the link...

...I owe you coffee, or maybe a whisky or two!
There isn't anything written here to be sorry for. Seriously. It's simple feedback from people who were trying to give money to a vendor for goods. Seems all here are being as open and honest as any thread here at dwc. Frankly it's been very civil sounding. Opinions stated and that's about it.

That’s not what my sorry was for. I sent Jason the link to the discussion (yes Matt, this is a discussion thread) earlier on, so he could read and respond to the comments.

No one likes to see their clients disappointed in their products or their business, hence my apology ...more of a “sorry you had to read that”.
Thank you! Answering for a friend.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:27 am

Hi Jason :cheers:

Steelman
Name: Ron

Post by Steelman » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:42 am

There is no easy answer to this problem. Same with certain custom knives, shaving brushes, etc.

Pre-announcing a time to order seems the most fair way to do it. I guess a raffle would be another.

Let's be thankful Jason makes product that's worth the hassle.

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:07 am

Maybe off topic, but I'd like to thank Jason for the easy no-issue cancellation and refund he provided on my pre-order.

Never anticipated a trip to Florida would result in the U1-P purchase.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:35 am

mattcantwin wrote:Maybe off topic, but I'd like to thank Jason for the easy no-issue cancellation and refund he provided on my pre-order.

Never anticipated a trip to Florida would result in the U1-P purchase.
That's very cool. Good service.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:03 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:17 am
It is highly unlikely Jason even looks at the watch before it gets shipped to the buyer.
unless things have changed, i'm pretty sure he does QC them all before sending out. not "MKII reject 98.2% of everything that comes in so it takes 10 years to make a watch" QC, but nobody really does that kind of QC, including MKII.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:27 pm

jason, don't you owe me a coffee and some boom-boom?

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:39 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:27 pm

jason, don't you owe me a coffee and some boom-boom?
:naughty:

TOP DEFINITION

boom boom

The term "boom boom" is most often associated with south east asian countries such as Thailand, Cambodia, or Laos and
is used to describe the act of intercourse, usually that which is purchased by males frequenting brothels and whorehouses in those locations.

The term is thought to have been created by prostitutes possessing limited english language ability; ie- it is far easier for a non english speaking Thai prostitute to say "You go boom boom"? than it is for her to say "Would you like to go make completely unemotional and detached love with me"?

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:46 am

gwells wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:03 pm
Ryeguy wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:17 am
It is highly unlikely Jason even looks at the watch before it gets shipped to the buyer.
unless things have changed, i'm pretty sure he does QC them all before sending out. not "MKII reject 98.2% of everything that comes in so it takes 10 years to make a watch" QC, but nobody really does that kind of QC, including MKII.
Maybe he does. I'm probably speaking too broadly.

My assumption is most micro brands which leverage contract manufacturing receive finished watches already assembled and packaged in inner and outer boxes ready for shipping to the end customer. CREPAS in the past has posted photos of dozens of outer boxes piled high ready for shipping. My assumption is the packaging of the assembled watches into their shipping boxes is part of the contract with the manufacturing company (Fullswing, etc.).

Assuming a micro (especially a one man shop such as Halios) receives 100 or 200 (or more) watches from their contract manufacturer, it seems unreasonable to expect them to open each box, visually inspect each watch, then repackage it for shipping.

Micros such as MKii (at least on their "bench crafted" models) and OWC source parts independently and assemble the parts locally, so they have the ability to inspect each watch. I don't think Jason ever claimed to follow these types of models.

Evidence supporting my assumption are the SNAFU's suffered by CREPAS with their model that was shipped without a movement ring and all those Steinhart GMT watches with miss-set GMT hands. Even a brief inspection would've caught those defects, yet they still made it to the customer.

The micro brand owner puts a ton of faith in their contract manufacturer. Their business depends upon it as evidenced by the thrashing CREPAS received for their dud even after delivering multiple successful models in the past. Their reputation still hasn't recovered.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:10 am

i don't know how far his QC goes, obviously not to the point of disassembly, but i'm sure i've read jason talking about doing a visual QC on every watch. and that may be part of the reason for the lower volume as well. he's done this with most of his releases. they come out in smaller batches. i'm sure some of that is limiting financial risk, but it may also have something to do with QC volume as well.

and this may be born out by the lack of QC complaints that tend to plague many of the other micros that don't seem to have been an issue with halios. the worst thing i remember seeing (and i experienced it myself) is that the end links for the tropik bracelet are extremely tight and that makes it difficult to change in and out of the bracelet.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:18 am

I’m sure he visually inspects them at all he very least. Also repackages them, etc.

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:00 pm

dukerules wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:11 am
I don't understand why people think they are entitled to buy a watch, just because they have the desire and the money to own said watch. That's not how the world works sometimes. Also, people getting upset because a sales model is not to their liking makes me chuckle.
I haven’t read all comments yet but this ^^^ is exactly what I’ve been thinking as I’ve read thru thus far. I keep waiting to hear some horror story, but I’m not seeing it. So only 100 watches of a particular color/style were available, but 4,000 people were vying for them? That’s called supply/demand and is every bit if capitalism. Maybe some of you (or maybe none of you but plenty of others) are super duper butt hurt because your belief is that everyone should get one is just not how the world works. My suggestion is start the refresh screen game on watch recon or the various and sundry sales fora.
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod

Post by BSears » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:06 pm

ericf4 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:55 am
Very cool Jason posted here, that said the whole scenario is a joke. For me, I tried twice and struck out twice. Now I'm done. I gave it a shot. I've never owned a halios and now won't buy one unless it's from a flip as I won't waste my time again on a terrible buying process.

I tend to agree w above comment that Jason knows what he's doing, this isn't the first nor last time this will happen. As such, he will get lots written about his brand. Loved, hated but never ignored sort of scenario it seems.

Shame as as there are plenty of well qualified buyers like me new to the brand who he's pushing away with experiences like this. But, it doesn't matter as the frenzy created will sustain his needs. He doesn't need me or other new clients. He can sell 100 watches a pop with his eyes closed, a terrible buying process etc. Hey, all I can say is I tried, it didn't work and my money goes elsewhere. All good.

Wtf is a “well qualified buyer”?? Are you leasing or financing? Oh you mean you could easily spend several hundred dollars on a different luxury item instead of this but tried (twice) to buy this luxury item? That is a pretty douchy statement if I’ve ever read/heard one.

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod

Post by BSears » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:21 pm

So if just anybody complains, you’re going to say I’m butt hurt? That’s a whole lot of non sequitur going on but sure, whatever, just make sure you at least preface it “With all due respect...”.

Anyway, yeah, you all that are whining about missing out on the purchase are pretty much acting like whiners. Not all of you, but some of you. And maybe not necessarily you, but it certainly seems like it’s you. That’s a lot of you’s

And this is absolutely NOTHING like MKII. Not even close. Not even the same ballpark, league, or sport! But nice try there.

Is this all we have to discuss today folks? Listen, I’ve been hit and miss on the dee dub for the last year, with spotty and random posts. I’ll just say for now that life has gotten...difficult. So if I seem callous, I don’t intend to be. Perhaps straightforward is more appropriate. Nonetheless, there’s just been a lot I’m putting in perspective so when I see folks upset because they didn’t get to buy one of Jason’s watches on this last batch, I don’t have a whole lot of pity. Jason is good folk, and I remember fondly my first Halios way back in the day. The GMT is a great looking watch, and is obviously quite popular. So with that, I’ll leave this discussion with good luck Jason, best wishes for success!

paipanic
Founder and Owner of Halios Watches

Post by paipanic » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:07 pm

Thank you Andrea! I appreciate it. And I absolutely respect that you took the time to write your opinion. All points are always taken with ZERO butthurt. There's no way in the world to get this level of insight, even if I paid big bucks for it (NO, I'm not going to start paying you guys for telling me I effed up). I just don't like being called names, but that's my weird thing.

Dave, I was just kidding. I'd otherwise let the conversation flow unobstructed, but I thought I'd jump in and try to muddle through an explanation. And to tell Andrea he hurted my feelings.
I don't see your name on the list.

Rob.B
Name: Rob

Post by Rob.B » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:32 pm

There was always going to be disappointment for people who missed out... The instagram posts off some people were embarrassing...Grown men throwing all there toys out of the pram. You can please some of the people some of the time but you can’t please all of the people all of the time...In my opinion I think the business ethos is perfect for a one man band... Watches come up for sale... They all sell quickly... Money in the bank... Move on to the next project with your own money to finance it. The hype is made among the forums mainly WUS and Jason just has to run with it. I’m sure he never would have expected the success of the Seaforth he just has to go with the flow keeping true to himself and trying to please everyone which is a fine line... Now I’m not saying anyone’s opinion is wrong or right... This is just my own personal take on it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:35 pm

BSears wrote:
ericf4 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:55 am
Very cool Jason posted here, that said the whole scenario is a joke. For me, I tried twice and struck out twice. Now I'm done. I gave it a shot. I've never owned a halios and now won't buy one unless it's from a flip as I won't waste my time again on a terrible buying process.

I tend to agree w above comment that Jason knows what he's doing, this isn't the first nor last time this will happen. As such, he will get lots written about his brand. Loved, hated but never ignored sort of scenario it seems.

Shame as as there are plenty of well qualified buyers like me new to the brand who he's pushing away with experiences like this. But, it doesn't matter as the frenzy created will sustain his needs. He doesn't need me or other new clients. He can sell 100 watches a pop with his eyes closed, a terrible buying process etc. Hey, all I can say is I tried, it didn't work and my money goes elsewhere. All good.

Wtf is a “well qualified buyer”?? Are you leasing or financing? Oh you mean you could easily spend several hundred dollars on a different luxury item instead of this but tried (twice) to buy this luxury item? That is a pretty douchy statement if I’ve ever read/heard one.
Good to hear from you in typical Brad style. What I meant was that many micros are in the low hundreds and I saw a post where perhaps Jason felt that the higher price would weed people out. My comment was simply about buyers who are ready willing and able. As far as me being douchey, well Brad I'm sure you and I are still very opposite one another. And I'm good with that. Welcome back.

Last edited by ericf4 on Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:49 pm

It was cool of Jason to send free GMTs to each of the DWC Admins. Thanks again, Jason.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:59 pm

CGSshorty wrote:It was cool of Jason to send free GMTs to each of the DWC Admins. Thanks again, Jason.
Boom
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:00 pm

r.palace wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:It was cool of Jason to send free GMTs to each of the DWC Admins. Thanks again, Jason.
Boom
He’s really a great guy. No matter what Andrea says.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:04 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:00 pm
r.palace wrote:
Boom
He’s really a great guy. No matter what Andrea says.
I got one only because I didn't use Tapatalk. I had it in the cart for 10 minutes cause I had to use a restroom, came back and completed the purchase. Yey!

Axelay2003
Name: Gerard

Post by Axelay2003 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:47 pm

ericf4 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:54 pm
Nah he won't care. My whole beef is why even bother. Why does he post on social about these going on sale, get people lathered up only to disappoint all?

He should just email people who bought before and he can sell them all without turning potential new clients against the brand. Or here's an idea, produce more. I know he's a one man shop but at a grand a pop and selling shit out in 5 seconds, he should invest in deeper stock. Or better ecomm software.

I may know someone who could help him on the ecomm side :)

Andrea has discussed and argued Jason’s business model in the past. I believe Jason had an idea how many people logged in to purchase Seaforths in the past and should have seriously considered this barometer.

The main problem is with Jason’s business model, IMO. If you decide to only have a small scale operation and you don’t see yourself exploding your business, that’s fine.

You know you will have a very limited number(in this case, 100 watches?), but still market the hell out of it and get everybody’s expectations extremely high.

If you are going to have 4000+ watches ready to go, then market the shit out of it(instagram, FB, etc).

If you will limit to 100, then be up front and lower everybody’s expectations(tell the customers that the chances of getting one will be like winning a lottery) so that if they were not able to purchase one, then the shock would be minimal.

I already know due to past experiences with the ordering process of the Seaforths that I will not be a candidate as a buyer.

Respect for putting out quality pieces and excellent CS.
It's a beautiful world! Gerald.