Knee Brace

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Erratic101
Name: Justyn

Knee Brace

Post by Erratic101 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:23 am

Well I climbed a decently intense peak last week and my knees took a beating on the way down. I’m pretty sure it’s a patellar tendinitis. If anyone has had that issue and use a patella brace (band around the bottom of the knee) what brand or device do you prefer?

I’m definitely gonna need something. I’m trying hard to get back into climbing and don’t want this as a set back. Mind you it started hurting after descending a steep 1000ft gully.

Your input is greatly appreciated.
ImageImageImage

1954Selmer
Name: RC

Re: Knee Brace

Post by 1954Selmer » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:32 am

I know nothing about knee braces.... Those photos are fantastic! I couldn't do it, because I'm absolutely terrified of heights.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:48 am

I've seen them at running specialty stores. Touch wood - I've never needed one.

Maybe you could find a running specialty shop and ask their recommendation? In my experience, people working in those places are usually pretty dedicated runners so they might have experience.

I might also go see a physical therapist who specializes in sports injuries. Someone with a focus on running would be even better. They can probably get you on a therapy regimen to reduce the inflammation and maybe strengthen the joint.

FWIW - people are usually surprised when I tell them I dislike running steep declines. I'll take flat or even up hill over a steep decline any day.

Erratic101

Post by Erratic101 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:34 am

Ryeguy wrote:I've seen them at running specialty stores. Touch wood - I've never needed one.

Maybe you could find a running specialty shop and ask their recommendation? In my experience, people working in those places are usually pretty dedicated runners so they might have experience.

I might also go see a physical therapist who specializes in sports injuries. Someone with a focus on running would be even better. They can probably get you on a therapy regimen to reduce the inflammation and maybe strengthen the joint.

FWIW - people are usually surprised when I tell them I dislike running steep declines. I'll take flat or even up hill over a steep decline any day.
I totally agree about going down steep grade. It sucks on my knees. I might have to checkout a therapist and see what I can do. The running shop is a good thought too.

Erratic101

Post by Erratic101 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:36 am

1954Selmer wrote:I know nothing about knee braces.... Those photos are fantastic! I couldn't do it, because I'm absolutely terrified of heights.
Some of the best views I’ve ever seen. As I climb my brain asks why I do this crap. Then I get to the top, look around, and am quickly reminded of why. So amazing

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:35 am

Have you tried a pair of neoprene sleeves? I wear them for Crossfit and Olympic lifting and they help immensely. The pair I wear is 5mm thick, but they also come in 3mm which are more comfortable.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:54 am

I have a ankle that gets twisted pretty easy. I use a donjoy brace and it is great.

Erratic101

Post by Erratic101 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:00 am

CGSshorty wrote:Have you tried a pair of neoprene sleeves? I wear them for Crossfit and Olympic lifting and they help immensely. The pair I wear is 5mm thick, but they also come in 3mm which are more comfortable.
Ya. I was actually wearing a compression sleeve at the time and it still got pretty jacked up. Although a thicker one probably would have been better

Erratic101

Post by Erratic101 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:01 am

toxicavenger wrote:I have a ankle that gets twisted pretty easy. I use a donjoy brace and it is great.
Some of those donjoys are crazy expensive and some are reasonably priced. Do you know what the difference is in price point?

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:02 am

The difference between a 3mm and. 5mm is huge. I’ve never even tried the 7mm as it is overkill for the weight I lift.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:52 am

Erratic101 wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:01 am
toxicavenger wrote:I have a ankle that gets twisted pretty easy. I use a donjoy brace and it is great.
Some of those donjoys are crazy expensive and some are reasonably priced. Do you know what the difference is in price point?
Yes, mobility. The cheaper ones are cheap. Kind of like watch straps.