Pelton watches

Discussion of microbrand watches
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Pelton watches

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:02 pm

They claim to make the only US made bracelet. They also said they make their own cases and crowns. Pretty crazy they have been in business 2 years a no one has heard of them? Sounds like Ginault marketing. :scratch:
https://www.peltonusa.com/collections
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gwells
Name: Greg

Re: Pelton watches

Post by gwells » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:42 pm

not only that, i find them unattractive, at best.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:52 pm

Another bad AP knockoff :naughty:

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:04 pm

All I can think of is:

- Todd

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Post by Jeep99dad » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:40 pm

Looks like a very nice finish. Good work for one of the few brands with a US made case and bracelet. It’s gotta be $$$ though
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:07 am

I have no idea of the veracity of any of these "made in America" claims, especially if you factor in the FTC's requirements around this topic.

That said, the only way this kind of manufacturing makes sense for a US watchmaker (IMO) is if they already have access to the skilled machinists and machine tools. Kobold, for example, probably leveraged his father's instrument manufacturing facilities to make his watch cases.

The infrastructure costs are just too great relative to the low product revenue to not offshore the manufacturing unless you had access to no-cost idle machines.

Being honest, Chinese-made cases have improved quite a bit. My Helson is vertical acceptable as were my CREPAS watches. I can't see how US (or any) manufacturer would do much better.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:46 am

I read IWC Pellaton

Grahamcombat
Name: Graham

Post by Grahamcombat » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:08 pm

Ryeguy wrote:I have no idea of the veracity of any of these "made in America" claims, especially if you factor in the FTC's requirements around this topic.

That said, the only way this kind of manufacturing makes sense for a US watchmaker (IMO) is if they already have access to the skilled machinists and machine tools. Kobold, for example, probably leveraged his father's instrument manufacturing facilities to make his watch cases.

The infrastructure costs are just too great relative to the low product revenue to not offshore the manufacturing unless you had access to no-cost idle machines.

Being honest, Chinese-made cases have improved quite a bit. My Helson is vertical acceptable as were my CREPAS watches. I can't see how US (or any) manufacturer would do much better.
^This

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:09 pm

The owner of Pelton responded on Reddit. Here is his comments:
Hi,

Deni here from Pelton. Glad to see that you've had a chance to check out our website and videos. We officially released our first two watches last week. I've been working on designing the watches and developing the manufacturing process for the last two years. I own a pro audio company that manufactures microphones for the recording industry. I've always been a watch guy and have always wanted to make my own. Having the CNC machinery to finally make it happen, I decided to start the journey about 2 years ago and now have come to the point to finally announce the launch of the company and release of the watches. The videos on our website are there to show that we do actually machine and finish all of our cases, bracelets, crowns, and screws in-house in our shop just outside of Detroit. We are more than happy to give shop tours to anyone in the area. Just contact us and we can arrange it. The Perseus is a very much inspired Gerald Genta design and that is exactly what I was going for. The reason for this is because of how complex the case and bracelet are and I really wanted to show our abilities in machining and finishing a case and bracelet of this caliber. Our other watch, the Sector, is a very unique design inspired by 50's sector style dials and vintage Mercedes speedometers (220D to be specific). The two watches are very different from each other, but I wanted to start with a diverse offering. We do have plans to keep adding various styles in the future. Hope that helps clarify a few things and please let me know if you have any other questions. I'd be more than happy to answer.

Jeep99dad
Grand-père

Post by Jeep99dad » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:19 pm

I like this watch a lot, Genta style and all, vee clean look less cluttered or quirky than others, less of a copy than the ML Aikon.
The bracelet seems better for my taste anyway.
Not sure what mvt he uses or the pricing but I do like the looks and the US made elements.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:29 am

Jeep99dad wrote:I like this watch a lot, Genta style and all, vee clean look less cluttered or quirky than others, less of a copy than the ML Aikon.
Not sure what mvt he uses or the pricing but I do like the looks and the US made elements.
It’s a top grade Eta 2824 and $2500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:13 am

At least the guy is up front about cribbing the Genta style. Heck, at least he knows who Genta is.

I also like the fact he is up front about having the CNC machines from his other business and willing to provide shop tours. The guys seems like a pretty straight forward vendor, which is a good thing in my opinion.

I actually kind of like the Sector. I don't $2,500 like it, but of the two, it is the one I would wear.

Next time I'm in the Detroit area, I might take him up on a shop tour.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:26 am

I have to be honest and say that I don't care where a watch is made. I like the examples above but for $2500 there are a lot of options - and those would not make the cut (for me). I wish them luck nonetheless.
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:45 am

I like it better than the ML AP rip off.
Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:51 am

plus its actually 39mm which is interesting.
Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:57 am

Just watched the video. Pretty impressive.

Ultimately, though, I'm left imagining just what the profit margin on those microphones must be if he is able to afford employing that amount of machinist labor and tooling just to make a couple watches.

The Genta design homage is an interesting choice as it is a complex case shape and one that isn't really all that popular outside of WIS circles. No matter how well it is made, I doubt he'll sell many of them just because the style has such a narrow following.

The first rule of business is to be profitable in order to survive. If me, I'd have produced a more universally appealing design with a proven track record of selling so I could establish a brand. The fact he didn't suggests to me that profit isn't really motivating his watch business at all.

Maybe he just built the one or two for himself and established the brand for tax purposes (needed a loss for right offs)? That would be a clever way to build your own watch.

Jeep99dad
Grand-père

Post by Jeep99dad » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:32 pm

tattoo chef wrote:
Jeep99dad wrote:I like this watch a lot, Genta style and all, vee clean look less cluttered or quirky than others, less of a copy than the ML Aikon.
It’s a top grade Eta 2824 and $2500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Sector is “only” $1300 iirc. Love it. If i could find one for 800$ I’d be in :)

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:52 pm

At this price range there is better watches that don't look like a homage to me.

I do wish him luck.

jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:49 pm

Chocodove wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:04 pm
All I can think of is:

fify

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:14 pm

For $2500 I would expect all of the screws on the bezel to be oriented the same in relationship to the dial. Seriously, to place so much emphasis on them in the design and have them rotated in random directions is a travesty.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:37 pm

dnslater wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:14 pm
For $2500 I would expect all of the screws on the bezel to be oriented the same in relationship to the dial. Seriously, to place so much emphasis on them in the design and have them rotated in random directions is a travesty.
You mean like this?

Rackness
Name: Jason

Post by Rackness » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:59 pm

logan2z wrote:
dnslater wrote:
You mean like this?

They are 2500 ish right?Image

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:08 pm

Rackness wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:59 pm
logan2z wrote:
dnslater wrote:
You mean like this?

They are 2500 ish right?Image
Give or take ;)

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:54 am

logan2z wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:37 pm
dnslater wrote:
You mean like this?

Yes, the screws are all parallel to the edge of the dial. The design uses a screw and a nut that allows you to easily spin the screw fact to orient it how you want it. The bezel and caseback act in tandem to compress the case and maintain WR. AP's are expensive, but not that complicated. I'm assuming the Pelton may just use a screw threaded straight into the case.

AP hardware:

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:19 am

Never seen them, or these before Terry, but am honestly liking them ! :thumbsup: Just seeing
some of the videos makes the watches seem that much cooler. Love the sunray dials on
the Perseus. Especially the brown ! :headbang:

The Sector is pure class also by the way ! Really appreciate the look Terry !!! THX !