any datejust owners here?

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
dinexus
Name: Zach

Post by dinexus » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:30 am

Kinda want one, but can't get over the fact that it's also one of the most ubiquitous watches (modern, vintage, or otherwise) in existence. Any current or former owners here who could articulate why it's worth having, or worth forgetting about?

Recently tried on the comparable Globemaster (which is arguably a lot more watch), was surprised to find I liked it a lot more than expected. Definitely a criminally underrated Omega for sure. Dunno if it's the one for me though...

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Re: any datejust owners here?

Post by sierra11b » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:11 pm

My wife wears my DJ36 rhodium roman. I haven’t worn it in years because I’ve never bothered to adjust the sj. But it’s a nice watch. So that’s one way to say I’ve pretty much forgotten about it. I don’t think I’d like the size now.

I might have to resize it and give it a try again.

If I were to do a DJ36 again it would be the bullseye dial with red date as my grandfather owned an old waltham it reminds me of. But I’d go explorer I now for sure.
Last edited by sierra11b on Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:17 pm

I had an old 36m version and liked it but at the end of the day I liked the idea of having a Datejust more than owning/wearing a Datejust.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:19 pm

Can’t go wrong with a DJ. Personally I’d go with the blue or rhodium DJ41 on jubilee if I was in the market. Eric F. has a blue one and I’m sure he’ll chime in here.
- Todd

dinexus

Post by dinexus » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:22 pm

rockmastermike wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:17 pm
I had an old 36m version and liked it but at the end of the day I liked the idea of having a Datejust more than owning/wearing a Datejust.
This. This is almost exactly what I'm worried about.

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:40 pm

I love the Datejust. I would have never given one a thought a couple of years ago, but recently I’d prefer one even to the Explorer. I love the blue with smooth bezel.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:48 pm

I enjoy it far more than any Rolex I've owned. Not only for it's beauty but also sheer comfort. I also enjoy the fact that is super casual or also dressy depending on the outfit you throw at it. The blue dial I have pops in a way that few other blue dials have that I've seen. The jubilee bracelet is as comfortable as they get IMO.

41mm is just a perfect size for me as well. ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

ikkoku
Stink Eye Extraordinaire

Post by ikkoku » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:50 pm

I had a black dial with engine turned bezel and oyster bracelet Great watch. I Miss it a lot.

dinexus

Post by dinexus » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:37 pm

ericf4 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:48 pm
I enjoy it far more than any Rolex I've owned. Not only for it's beauty but also sheer comfort. I also enjoy the fact that is super casual or also dressy depending on the outfit you throw at it. The blue dial I have pops in a way that few other blue dials have that I've seen. The jubilee bracelet is as comfortable as they get IMO.
Damn, some great shots in there. I also love the potentially casual nature of it too. Does the jubilee bracelet also have the adjustable clasp, or is that just on the oyster?

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:40 pm

yes it does kinds like a folding half link inside the clasp.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:41 pm

btw easiest watch to take stellar pics of ive ever had....that and the Polar2 Rolex

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:04 pm

Incredible watches that are pretty much the most popular higher-end watch for good reason. That said, as a watch guy, It'd be a fair bit of coin wrapped up in a watch that didn't really excite me. My Grand Seiko scratches the DJ itch and then some, for a lot less money.

dinexus

Post by dinexus » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:05 pm

Torrid wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:40 pm
I love the Datejust. I would have never given one a thought a couple of years ago, but recently I’d prefer one even to the Explorer. I love the blue with smooth bezel.
Used to think I wanted an Explorer 1, but given the new movement in the DJ it seems like a far more interesting watch.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:06 pm

I was never a DJ fan til I got one......just timeless, classic and beautiful. and at 41`mm perfect.....I would never have been into the smaller versions.

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:21 pm

dinexus wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:05 pm
Torrid wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:40 pm
Used to think I wanted an Explorer 1, but given the new movement in the DJ it seems like a far more interesting watch.
Agreed. Appearance wise Eric’s is right on the money too. I love the jubilee with this combo.

I’d also add that a very close second for me would be the 39mm OP in blue. If it wasn’t for the green accents it would be my first choice. I love the no date look. Then again I won’t exactly be buying a Rolex tomorrow, but I’m determined to make it happen in the next couple of years. I have some very promising career opportunities in the future. I just accepted a possibility of a promotion that if I get this round would open the door to every major company in my industry.
Last edited by Torrid on Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dinexus

Post by dinexus » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:27 pm

Dammit you guys, was half expecting/hoping this crowd to be more like "if watches were sex positions, the DJ would be missionary style" or something to that effect.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:28 pm

It's a sexy bitch IMO

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:32 pm

dinexus wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:27 pm
Dammit you guys, was half expecting/hoping this crowd to be more like "if watches were sex positions, the DJ would be missionary style" or something to that effect.
I truly feel it’s a hidden gem in the watch collector world. It’s all Submariner, Sea Dweller, and Explorer line, pretty much in that order.

DoctorC
Name: Greg

Post by DoctorC » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:45 pm

dinexus wrote:
You say that like it's a bad thing :shrug:
Greg

hidden by leaves
Name: Anthony

Post by hidden by leaves » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:46 pm

Although I was tempted by the new 41s, I do not like the big clasp on a DJ and they mess up easily (have one on my GMT and it has looked like shit since day one with the scratches on the polished center)

I always wanted a classic 36 in white or black, with the WG bezel and jubilee bracelet with the hidden clasp... that to me was the standard in my mind... I now have one and love it. So comfortable literally and contextually - I'd wear it with anything.

Send lawyers, guns and money...

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:50 pm

DoctorC wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:45 pm
dinexus wrote:
You say that like it's a bad thing :shrug:
It may be missionary, but it’s the best missionary you’ll ever have. Timeless, classic watch. Bulletproof, too. Every bit as tough as an explorer.

The only things I don’t like are the polished centerlinks and lug tops that come with the modern versions. Too blingy IMHO.

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:58 pm

hidden by leaves wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:46 pm
Although I was tempted by the new 41s, I do not like the big clasp on a DJ and they mess up easily (have one on my GMT and it has looked like shit since day one with the scratches on the polished center)

I always wanted a classic 36 in white or black, with the WG bezel and jubilee bracelet with the hidden clasp... that to me was the standard in my mind... I now have one and love it. So comfortable literally and contextually - I'd wear it with anything.

Beautiful. I love it.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:38 pm

I'm a dissenting opinion on this. The main reason I get rid of watches is boredom, and for most watches (especially time-only) it strikes within a couple months. However, with the DJ, it's struck before even owning one. I've tried them on multiple times at ADs and GTGs, and it evokes zero interest for me.

Just personal taste though. I tend to like watches with complications or that may be slightly different than the norm. So the ubiquitous nature of the DJ is a definite downside for me, even though it's a beautiful and well-finished watch.
:htfu:

hidden by leaves
Name: Anthony

Post by hidden by leaves » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:41 pm

Torrid wrote:
hidden by leaves wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:46 pm

Beautiful. I love it.
Thanks Heath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Send lawyers, guns and money...

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:54 pm