Fifty Fathoms or Deep Sea??

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
poppydog
aka Nelldog
Name: Steve

Re: Fifty Fathoms or Deep Sea??

Post by poppydog » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:53 pm

I think the FF is a truly beautiful watch with a great history. However, I dive with all my watches and although the FF is a true dive watch, I'd personally go for the tool-like aesthetics of the DSSD. Good luck with it and let's see some pics' when you've made your choice.
Regards

Steve

suddha
Action/Adventure Protagonist
Name: Jason

Post by suddha » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:09 am

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7523
:mrgreen:

How about the new Sub ceramic, which shares the DSSD's many fine qualities, like the clasp, the bezel, the movement... Without the thickness, useless helium valve, tapering bracelet or Ring-Lock writing. Save you a lot of cash too!

I love the FF but I'm not much for polished watches, especially descendants of legendary tool watches. Now, if you want a dress diver instead of a daily wear piece, it might be ok.

Zidane
Stevie's Nick
Name: Nick

Post by Zidane » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:03 am

suddha wrote:viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7523
:mrgreen:

How about the new Sub ceramic, which shares the DSSD's many fine qualities, like the clasp, the bezel, the movement... Without the thickness, useless helium valve, tapering bracelet or Ring-Lock writing. Save you a lot of cash too!

I love the FF but I'm not much for polished watches, especially descendants of legendary tool watches. Now, if you want a dress diver instead of a daily wear piece, it might be ok.
I agree.

I'm all for the new Sub-C...quite possibly my "grail" if there is such a thing.

GregNYC
Name: Greg

Post by GregNYC » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:15 am

suddha wrote:How about the new Sub ceramic, which shares the DSSD's many fine qualities, like the clasp, the bezel, the movement...
I thought about this for a long time. The Sub C has a lot that I like. Beefier case (though just 40mm width). Maxi-dial. Cyclops, which I actually like, and in some lighting conditions, need. I've also had the steel and two-tone GMT-C models, which I liked a lot. But for me, I really like larger watches. At a Ben Bridge Rolex boutique in Honolulu I was able to see the Sub-C and DSSD side by side. Though they both looked great, my eyes went immediately to the DSSD, being a few mm larger. If I did get a Sub-C, it would be the new Kermit. My wife is a Feng Shui practitioner, and told me that green is very good feng shui for me!

vbuskirk
Thread Jacker Extraordinaire
Name: Chris

Post by vbuskirk » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:51 pm

I can't be sure since I've never actually seen the fabled Fifty Fathoms. It seems [too] huge from the specs. And it is notorious for having a stupid bracelet/strap changing system. Still, it sure is sexy looking, and is easily my preference based only on pictures. As for the DSSD, I think I prefer the discontinued Sea Dweller.
Chris

GregNYC

Post by GregNYC » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:18 pm

vbuskirk wrote:I can't be sure since I've never actually seen the fabled Fifty Fathoms. It seems [too] huge from the specs. And it is notorious for having a stupid bracelet/strap changing system. Still, it sure is sexy looking, and is easily my preference based only on pictures.
I spent some time with it in the Boutique. The size and the sexy simplicity are pluses for me. I'd keep it on the bracelet, but I'm not crazy about the lack of microadjustment!

FlyPenFly
Name: Off, Jerk

Post by FlyPenFly » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:59 pm

If you reconsider second hand, you can probably get both.

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t= ... sg_5434160

GregNYC

Post by GregNYC » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:38 pm

FlyPenFly wrote:If you reconsider second hand, you can probably get both.

My new price is pretty close.... I found a deal on the FF too... I might go for both after I sell a few things.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:15 pm

GregNYC wrote:

My new price is pretty close.... I found a deal on the FF too... I might go for both after I sell a few things.
Yeah, I can get you a BNIB one for $7800 via the guy who got me my Milgauss. :thumbsup:
:htfu:

GregNYC

Post by GregNYC » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:27 pm

matt.wu wrote:
GregNYC wrote:

Yeah, I can get you a BNIB one for $7800 via the guy who got me my Milgauss. :thumbsup:
Thanks Jae and Matt! Rolex warranties are not officially transferrable, so I usually stick to ADs. But anyone know about Blancpain?

FlyPenFly

Post by FlyPenFly » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:58 pm

Blancpain is swatch group and swatch group is generally whatever on the warranty transfer. But maybe call the AD. I'm actually trying to find out the length of the warranty even...

GregNYC

Post by GregNYC » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:14 pm

FlyPenFly wrote:Blancpain is swatch group and swatch group is generally whatever on the warranty transfer. But maybe call the AD. I'm actually trying to find out the length of the warranty even...
Good idea. I wish you well with your research on this! And thanks for your previous postings on the FF, which helped galvanize my own interest!

poppydog wrote: Good luck with it and let's see some pics' when you've made your choice.
I can't wait myself!!!

FlyPenFly

Post by FlyPenFly » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:22 pm

Just doublechecked the paperwork. It is 2 years of warranty.

Also, one thing to keep in mind is that the FF is relatively low profile in terms of every day wear despite the actual spec height.

edit: WT Article on the FF: http://www.watchtime.at/archive/wt_2008 ... 03_134.pdf

moishlashen
Name: Leu Sanis

Post by moishlashen » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:52 am

Both :rock:

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."

drster
Name: mark

Post by drster » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:47 pm

I've owned 3 FF and only got rid of them because they're too big for me. No microadjustment on the bracelet, but still comfortable. The watch is fairly rugged imo. I never had a problem with the movement. You know how some watches are a scratch magnet? The FF is the opposite. Tough to mark. The DSSD is definitely more toolish. You know it's rugged. It's very thick but not as wide. I've only held it, never owned one. You should be able to get a pretty good deal on a new FF too (but on the bracelet it will be pricey). I don't think you can beat the lume on the FF. So I lean towards FF. I would get it preowned though.