Denim

Where did you get that man purse?
User avatar
fastward
Fast Eddie
Posts: 11225
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: Denim

Post by fastward » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:34 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
fastward wrote:This is what I am wearing mostly. Two pairs of RGT and a pair of PBJ.
ImageI’ll break out the lighter weight Tellasons and Shockoes when the weather warms up.
However, I have a few pairs of Levi’s 513 for traveling, the stretch is nice.
Is that a lipstick pocket?
Its a pen pocket, but you could always put your fire engine red lipstick in there, I assume.

User avatar
ericf4
(TBD) Penis
Posts: 14307
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:04 am
Contact:

Re: Denim

Post by ericf4 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:36 pm

So you don't wash after wearing or do? I hate wearing jeans more than 2x as they get baggy feeling unless they get washed. Raw denim diff?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk


User avatar
HapaHapa
Posts: 7074
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 9:57 pm
Name: Eric
Location: Redondo Beach, CA

Re: Denim

Post by HapaHapa » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:37 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
fastward wrote:This is what I am wearing mostly. Two pairs of RGT and a pair of PBJ.
ImageI’ll break out the lighter weight Tellasons and Shockoes when the weather warms up.
However, I have a few pairs of Levi’s 513 for traveling, the stretch is nice.
Is that a lipstick pocket?
Looks like a nice jackknife pocket
The Hapa

User avatar
fastward
Fast Eddie
Posts: 11225
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: Denim

Post by fastward » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:49 pm

ericf4 wrote:So you don't wash after wearing or do? I hate wearing jeans more than 2x as they get baggy feeling unless they get washed. Raw denim diff?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I am in the wash them when they are dirty camp. You won’t get as dramatic fades, but they will still fade and you will have clean pants.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
fastward
Fast Eddie
Posts: 11225
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: Denim

Post by fastward » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:50 pm

HapaHapa wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
fastward wrote:This is what I am wearing mostly. Two pairs of RGT and a pair of PBJ.
ImageI’ll break out the lighter weight Tellasons and Shockoes when the weather warms up.
However, I have a few pairs of Levi’s 513 for traveling, the stretch is nice.
Is that a lipstick pocket?
Looks like a nice jackknife pocket
A knife would definitely fit. I usually skip it because TSA isn’t a fan.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
fastward
Fast Eddie
Posts: 11225
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: Denim

Post by fastward » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:53 pm

fastward wrote:
ericf4 wrote:So you don't wash after wearing or do? I hate wearing jeans more than 2x as they get baggy feeling unless they get washed. Raw denim diff?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I am in the wash them when they are dirty camp. You won’t get as dramatic fades, but they will still fade and you will have clean pants.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
However, I would suggest skipping the spin cycle and the dryer.

User avatar
jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Posts: 7077
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:54 am
Name: Jeff
Location: NJ

Re: Denim

Post by jswing » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:17 pm

Reporting back to this thread, I did end up going down the rabbit hole.. I can't wear mall jeans any more.. On the other hand, I'm content with entry level selvedge. I have yet to spend more than $120 on any one pair. I bought a few pairs from Taylor Stitch recently, made in the US from US denim from Cone Mills since the mill shut down and we won't be able to get US denim soon. After that I guess it'll be Japanese only.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk


User avatar
aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Posts: 7224
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:50 am
Name: Dr Jay
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Denim

Post by aikiman44 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:05 pm

Uniqlo has good jeans at that price.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

User avatar
matt.wu
Wu
Posts: 27473
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:33 pm
Name: m@
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA

Re: Denim

Post by matt.wu » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:09 pm

My leg build is not very denim friendly. I need a bit more stretch.
:htfu:

User avatar
jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Posts: 7077
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:54 am
Name: Jeff
Location: NJ

Re: Denim

Post by jswing » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:17 pm

matt.wu wrote:My leg build is not very denim friendly. I need a bit more stretch.
They're not all skinny jeans. I can't (or won't) wear them. The ones I just got from Taylor Stitch have room in the legs without being dad jeans. Or maybe they are dad jeans and I'm just too old to realize it. They're made right in San Francisco, you could go try them at their store.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk


User avatar
matt.wu
Wu
Posts: 27473
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:33 pm
Name: m@
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA

Re: Denim

Post by matt.wu » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:18 pm

I have no problem with Dad jeans. Who am I trying to impress anymore. Hell, I'm in shorts and a sweatshirt 90% of the time. :)
:htfu:

User avatar
jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Posts: 7077
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:54 am
Name: Jeff
Location: NJ

Re: Denim

Post by jswing » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:20 pm

matt.wu wrote:I have no problem with Dad jeans. Who am I trying to impress anymore. Hell, I'm in shorts and a sweatshirt 90% of the time. :)
Yeah, me too. Shorts or sweats. Denim is dressed up for me.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk


User avatar
CGSshorty
Admin
Posts: 30750
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Re: Denim

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:21 pm

jswing wrote: Or maybe they are dad jeans and I'm just too old to realize it. They're made right in San Francisco.
Image
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

User avatar
Selym
Posts: 1533
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:16 pm
Name: Myles
Location: Massive Two Shits

Re: Denim

Post by Selym » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:24 pm

aikiman44 wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:05 pm
Uniqlo has good jeans at that price.
They make nice t-shirts, too.

User avatar
Selym
Posts: 1533
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:16 pm
Name: Myles
Location: Massive Two Shits

Re: Denim

Post by Selym » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:26 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:18 pm
I have no problem with Dad jeans. Who am I trying to impress anymore. Hell, I'm in shorts and a sweatshirt 90% of the time. :)
I hear you, but you wouldn't want your wife to wear "mom" jeans, would you? :think:

User avatar
jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Posts: 7077
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:54 am
Name: Jeff
Location: NJ

Re: Denim

Post by jswing » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:28 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
jswing wrote: Or maybe they are dad jeans and I'm just too old to realize it. They're made right in San Francisco.
Image
Image

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk


User avatar
fastward
Fast Eddie
Posts: 11225
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: Denim

Post by fastward » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:29 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:09 pm
My leg build is not very denim friendly. I need a bit more stretch.
Don’t give up on life with the dad jeans just yet.

User avatar
streetracer101
Posts: 8239
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:41 pm
Name: Mr Shackleford

Re: Denim

Post by streetracer101 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:53 pm

fastward wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:29 pm
matt.wu wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:09 pm
My leg build is not very denim friendly. I need a bit more stretch.
Don’t give up on life with the dad jeans just yet.
This. I am relatively thin at 35 yrs old and rock out slim fit jeans now that I was turned on to selvedge. I just donated a bunch of my old baggy Levis jeans. I never received a compliment in cheap dept store denim, but I get them semi-regularly in my fancy selvedge, so they must look better. I've had good luck buying a lot of denim of eBay. As has been said, fit is often difficult to determine online, so there are a ton of people who sell new or worn once denim on eBay for 50-75% off.

I think N&F is a good place to start for semi-affordable denim, but it is best to try them on in person. They have a ton of fits and are manufactured in Canada with Japansese denim. They've got a lot of less traditional denim like twisted denim (rainbow colored weave on the underside of the denim), reflective denim, and various cool colors. They also make selvedge chinos, which are on my list of things to try. I equate Canadian manufacturing to US manufacturing, so I am happy to give my money to our northern neighbors as opposed to the Chinese manufacturers. Other made in US/Canada brands not previously mentioned are Bravestar, Gustin, Williamsburg Garment Co, Rag and Bone, and United Stock Drygoods.

User avatar
BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Posts: 24022
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:01 pm
Name: Vladimir Makarov
Location: Ohio

Re: Denim

Post by BBK357 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:07 pm

I just searched and all I see is straight fit or skinny fit. I guess I’m out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

User avatar
hoppyjr
HJ
Posts: 30712
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:05 am
Name: Hoppy
Location: Washington State

Re: Denim

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:23 pm

501

User avatar
Captdave
Posts: 2801
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:15 pm
Name: Dave
Location: To be determined

Re: Denim

Post by Captdave » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:12 pm

hoppyjr wrote:501
Been my go to since college.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

User avatar
dukerules
Posts: 13892
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Denim

Post by dukerules » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:29 am

There are 501s. And there are LVC 501s.

User avatar
Torrid
Posts: 5555
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:43 am
Name: Heath
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Denim

Post by Torrid » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:27 am

I can’t believe I’ve made another post in this thread that actually has anything to do with raw/rigid denim. I decided to buy Roundhouse jeans since I wanted something heavier than 12oz Levi’s which seem to tear on me in a few months and it was also a huge plus that they’re made in America. I got one pair of their 147 rigids and I would have bought more but they only had one pair in my size so I bought a few pairs of the standard 1903s. The 147s aren’t expensive. They’re raw unwashed but not selvage stitch.

I was wearing the 147s for good and then actually decided to read a bit about raw denim care after hearing about “sick fadez”. Looks like I just need to wear them, so I’ve been wearing them this week for work. I’m finally seeing some real noticeable fading in the knees/leg area and have only had them 3 months. I know these aren’t expensive jeans but these could be a great option for those who want raw denim for an affordable price. I’ll likely be giving them a wash this weekend and I may get some pictures of them.

User avatar
gonzomantis
Posts: 2547
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:40 pm
Name: Mike

Re: Denim

Post by gonzomantis » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:40 pm

Just got my shipment from Diamond Gusset. The last pair lasted for many years. Great pricing for made in USA jeans.

User avatar
HapaHapa
Posts: 7074
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 9:57 pm
Name: Eric
Location: Redondo Beach, CA

Re: Denim

Post by HapaHapa » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:42 pm

Torrid wrote:I can’t believe I’ve made another post in this thread that actually has anything to do with raw/rigid denim. I decided to buy Roundhouse jeans since I wanted something heavier than 12oz Levi’s which seem to tear on me in a few months and it was also a huge plus that they’re made in America. I got one pair of their 147 rigids and I would have bought more but they only had one pair in my size so I bought a few pairs of the standard 1903s. The 147s aren’t expensive. They’re raw unwashed but not selvage stitch.

I was wearing the 147s for good and then actually decided to read a bit about raw denim care after hearing about “sick fadez”. Looks like I just need to wear them, so I’ve been wearing them this week for work. I’m finally seeing some real noticeable fading in the knees/leg area and have only had them 3 months. I know these aren’t expensive jeans but these could be a great option for those who want raw denim for an affordable price. I’ll likely be giving them a wash this weekend and I may get some pictures of them.
If you want heavy weight jeans for work try Carhartt flame resistant. They aren't spiffy selvage, but thin they are not.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064 ... UTF8&psc=1
The Hapa

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests