New Maurice Lacroix....

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Denizen

Re: New Maurice Lacroix....

Post by Denizen » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:30 am

I wonder how AP feels about this even though of course the two companies play at completely different price points.

The AP was always a little too 'industrial' for me...dislike the hex crown for starters. The ML fixes that little detail, but has its own baggage.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:39 am

Denizen wrote:I wonder how AP feels about this even though of course the two companies play at completely different price points.

The AP was always a little too 'industrial' for me...dislike the hex crown for starters. The ML fixes that little detail, but has its own baggage.
I'd be shocked if they didn't care regardless of the space they occupy in the market. It's as close to being a knockoff AP as you can get. Surprised to see it from a legitimate brand. I'd expect it from Bagelsport or some other shit Chinese brand.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Post by Jeep99dad » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:39 am

ericf4 wrote:
Jeep99dad wrote:
ericf4 wrote:
Jeep99dad wrote:
ericf4 wrote:Agreed. If I were looking I'd save a bit more and get an Ingy for sure. That ML looks like cheap shit IMO. It's the stupid bezel. Image

That’s huge and not just a bit more though, Eric
They can be had around 3k or more. So twice as much. I guess my point is why the fuck would someone spend any money on something that's "not horrible"...not exactly a ringing endorsement

Say you find a nice use done for 3500$, that’s still almost 3X the 1200$ I can get the ML for brand new with warranty and a better size for many wrists. That IWC you have is way too big for me and many others.
Someone who will spend 1200$ won’t necessarily be able to spend 3-4k or want to either.
As for horrible, it’s a matter of opinion. Some will like it and others won’t. Just like your iwc or an AP or... any watch regardless of price. The fact you don’t like the ML doesn’t make it an absolute horrible watch. To each his own.
I was really focusing on the comparison of the two price-wise and also from a side and wearability.
Correct each their own opinion. But the price doesn't make a watch more attractive aesthetic wise. They already ripped offf an AP design, why ruin it by not also ripping off a decent looking bezel. ;)

Again attractive is subjective. You clearly don’t like it and that’s ok. The price is good so if one likes it, it’s a solid watch and value. Someone I know got one this week and loves it, the looks, how it wears, the bracelet and overall finish.
I personally would prefer it without the polished raised surfaces of the bezel. Otherwise I like the watch a lot. I always wanted to try a watch with the AP design but would never put that kind of money in it. So this would be a nice well made alternative. I actually wonder if one brushed those raised squares, it might change the looks quite a bit.
I also haven’t seen it in the metal so not 100% sure. I hope to see it later today.
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:41 am

Jeep99dad wrote:
ericf4 wrote:
Jeep99dad wrote:
ericf4 wrote:
Jeep99dad wrote:
ericf4 wrote:Agreed. If I were looking I'd save a bit more and get an Ingy for sure. That ML looks like cheap shit IMO. It's the stupid bezel. Image

That’s huge and not just a bit more though, Eric
They can be had around 3k or more. So twice as much. I guess my point is why the fuck would someone spend any money on something that's "not horrible"...not exactly a ringing endorsement

Say you find a nice use done for 3500$, that’s still almost 3X the 1200$ I can get the ML for brand new with warranty and a better size for many wrists. That IWC you have is way too big for me and many others.
Someone who will spend 1200$ won’t necessarily be able to spend 3-4k or want to either.
As for horrible, it’s a matter of opinion. Some will like it and others won’t. Just like your iwc or an AP or... any watch regardless of price. The fact you don’t like the ML doesn’t make it an absolute horrible watch. To each his own.
I was really focusing on the comparison of the two price-wise and also from a side and wearability.
Correct each their own opinion. But the price doesn't make a watch more attractive aesthetic wise. They already ripped offf an AP design, why ruin it by not also ripping off a decent looking bezel. ;)

Again attractive is subjective. You clearly don’t like it and that’s ok. The price is good so if one likes it, it’s a solid watch and value. Someone I know got one this week and loves it, the looks, how it wears, the bracelet and overall finish.
I personally would prefer it without the polished raised surfaces of the bezel. Otherwise I like the watch a lot. I always wanted to try a watch with the AP design but would never put that kind of money in it. So this would be a nice well made alternative. I actually wonder if one brushed those raised squares, it might change the looks quite a bit.
I also haven’t seen it in the metal so not 100% sure. I hope to see it later today.
Honestly if it didn't have the dog shit bezel and I wanted a AP look a like I see where it fits a need.

Denizen

Post by Denizen » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:42 am

ericf4 wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:39 am
Denizen wrote:I wonder how AP feels about this even though of course the two companies play at completely different price points.

I'd be shocked if they didn't care regardless of the space they occupy in the market. It's as close to being a knockoff AP as you can get. Surprised to see it from a legitimate brand. I'd expect it from Bagelsport or some other shit Chinese brand.

I'd agree with you. AP can't be pleased, but there is probably little that they can do.

aztecknight

Post by aztecknight » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:44 am

Panerai7 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:59 am
I like it. I'm gonna see if I can get a deal on recon. That blue is nice.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:47 am

Whether or not you like the look of the watch is completely subjective, but there's no denying that ML ripped off a good chunk of the Royal Oak design. That's reason enough for me to dislike the watch, and the company that produced it.

Jeep99dad
Grand-père

Post by Jeep99dad » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:49 am

logan2z wrote:Whether or not you like the look of the watch is completely subjective, but there's no denying that ML ripped off a good chunk of the Royal Oak design. That's reason enough for me to dislike the watch, and the company that produced it.
That’s definitely something I can understand, a valid point.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:50 am

logan2z wrote:Whether or not you like the look of the watch is completely subjective, but there's no denying that ML ripped off a good chunk of the Royal Oak design. That's reason enough for me to dislike the watch, and the company that produced it.
I liked the look of the watch the very first time I saw it. At an AP dealer. :)

Watch I'll eat my words and now somehow end up with one of these when someone brushes their bezel and firesales it on recon.

Denizen

Post by Denizen » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:55 am

Jeep99dad wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:49 am
That’s definitely something I can understand, a valid point.
Ditto.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:07 am

ericf4 wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:50 am
I liked the look of the watch the very first time I saw it. At an AP dealer. :)

Watch I'll eat my words and now somehow end up with one of these when someone brushes their bezel and firesales it on recon.

Ha, that's where I took the pic above, standing in front of AP case :)

bnabod

Post by bnabod » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:46 am

Jeep99dad wrote:
bnabod wrote:
Dedalus wrote:
bnabod wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:So I tried this on during lunch and I must say it's not horrible on the wrist if you're into that type of watch/case/bracelet. I would say if I liked and had the real thing I'd get this as a beater for ~$1300. 200m WR as well and a screw down crown.

I think it looks decent but would get this instead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blasphemy to even mention the two in the same sentence. Point taken, but they’re worlds apart.

I know but essentially my recommendation would be to save your dough be a little patient and you can get the IWC for a decent price these days. The IWC can be had for <4 and if one can put down 2k chances are they can plop down 4 eventually. The problem in the theory is that the ML will be super cheap in 1 to 2 years on grey market that paying close to 2k would be insane .
ML reminds me of SAaB, they look good, you can buy it but it is yours for life after that unless you want to be murdered at resale.

It’ll take more than a little saving and the IWC even used cheap will be almost three times the price of the ML brand new from an AD. I’m not saying the IWC isn’t nice or not a better watch etc but not comparable and also probably doesn’t wear the same. It’s probably larger and much thicker/heavier.
It is thick alright and at the end of the day wearing it you certainly feel it . I usually wear my watches a week at a time and while away on business w the iwc i was ready to switch it up but had nothing else w me.
The lack of micro adjustment on the bracelet also is a let down but granted the watch is not new.

bnabod

Post by bnabod » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:49 am

Panerai7 wrote:
bnabod wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:14 am
Dedalus wrote:
bnabod wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:So I tried this on during lunch and I must say it's not horrible on the wrist if you're into that type of watch/case/bracelet. I would say if I liked and had the real thing I'd get this as a beater for ~$1300. 200m WR as well and a screw down crown.

Blasphemy to even mention the two in the same sentence. Point taken, but they’re worlds apart.

I know but essentially my recommendation would be to save your dough be a little patient and you can get the IWC for a decent price these days. The IWC can be had for <4 and if one can put down 2k chances are they can plop down 4 eventually. The problem in the theory is that the ML will be super cheap in 1 to 2 years on grey market that paying close to 2k would be insane .
ML reminds me of SAaB, they look good, you can buy it but it is yours for life after that unless you want to be murdered at resale.

Ok I'll say it again it's THIRTEEN HUNDRED AMERICAN DOLLARS
Considering what you get it is imho a good deal especially at 1300 clams.
ML makes their own cases, bracelets and also some movements. It is hard to find anything comparable at that price point; Maybe seiko or Alpina/ FC but not sure if they make their own cases (in the case of Alpina /FC)

Jeep99dad
Grand-père

Post by Jeep99dad » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:48 pm

bnabod wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
bnabod wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:14 am
Dedalus wrote:
bnabod wrote:

Ok I'll say it again it's THIRTEEN HUNDRED AMERICAN DOLLARS
Considering what you get it is imho a good deal especially at 1300 clams.
ML makes their own cases, bracelets and also some movements. It is hard to find anything comparable at that price point; Maybe seiko or Alpina/ FC but not sure if they make their own cases (in the case of Alpina /FC)

Alpina doesn’t. Well not in their Switzerland shop.
I just tried one on and liked it a lot. Too bad it was not on bracelet

Jeep99dad
Grand-père

Post by Jeep99dad » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:53 pm

Well I went to the AD
He sold three he had and two were at shows out of town(sold one at those already)
He only had one on strap to try one.
I do think it’s a lot of of Watch for the $ and the bezel didn’t bother me as much as I thought in person.
Case is very well finished.

Hoping to see the silver or blue dial on bracelet later this week.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:05 pm

THat looks like it wears big Brice.
Last edited by JP Chestnut on Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bnabod

Post by bnabod » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:07 pm

Jeep99dad wrote:Well I went to the AD
He sold three he had and two were at shows out of town(sold one at those already)
He only had one on strap to try one.
I do think it’s a lot of of Watch for the $ and the bezel didn’t bother me as much as I thought in person.
Case is very well finished.

Hoping to see the silver or blue dial on bracelet later this week.

Looks good to me

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:14 pm

Not awful. What's the point of the quick release? I assume it only fits their proprietary bracelet or strap?

Jeep99dad
Grand-père

Post by Jeep99dad » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:21 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:THat looks like it wears big Brice.
It’s 42mm.
It seems to wear a bit bigger because of the strap and was not sized for me.
It’s not small for sure. Probably best for 7-7.5 wrist. I did like it I have to say. Can’t wait to see the bracelet version.
But I am after this Arnold and Son

Jeep99dad
Grand-père

New Maurice Lacroix....

Post by Jeep99dad » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:22 pm

ericf4 wrote:Not awful. What's the point of the quick release? I assume it only fits their proprietary bracelet or strap?

It’s quick Image

No tool

You won’t need two screwdrivers Image

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:41 pm

Now you're talking with Arnold & Son. I'm a fan and always considered their watches underrated.
:htfu:

Jeep99dad
Grand-père

Post by Jeep99dad » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:46 am

matt.wu wrote:Now you're talking with Arnold & Son. I'm a fan and always considered their watches underrated.
They are amazing and it was a great experience having their US rep fly from LA to show us their Watches and discus the brand.
The one i may get if I get a “good deal” is one of their more basic small second dress Watch.

watchingyou

Post by watchingyou » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:01 am

Panerai7 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:34 am
dnslater wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:24 am
According to the article, the bezel is making a reference to this important iconic design from their history.
oh boy. definitely a historic model that's worthy of a modern tribute ;)
Now that's a Wal-Mart watch!
Ed -

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:00 am

watchingyou wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:01 am
Panerai7 wrote:
dnslater wrote:
According to the article, the bezel is making a reference to this important iconic design from their history.
Not that far off what Tag was doing at the time:

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:19 am

dnslater wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:00 am
watchingyou wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:01 am
Panerai7 wrote:
dnslater wrote:
Not that far off what Tag was doing at the time:
And watches like that are why everyone thinks TAG sucks, while simultaneously venerating Heuer.