Re: Glashutte launch today

Post by Denizen » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:18 pm

logan2z wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:31 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:22 am
Denizen wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:16 am
There's something about many of the GO watches in their case lines - 'the austere German sensibilities', very hard to describe...which other brands like JLC, Blancpain, etc don't struggle with. At least that's my opinion.

They are undisputed masters when it comes to doing everything in-house and they do a great job with finishing and engineering, etc.

It's the intangible side - the charm, the allure, the magic of their timepieces which they need to work on.
Too thick and in your face for a genuine dress watch.
It depends on the model. The Senator Sixties is pretty slim and definitely has charm and allure IMHO.

Yes, the Senator Sixty is charming...and why I bought mine shortly after GO released it in 2007.

Sadly, most of their another lines (Pano, etc) don't hold the same allure for me.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:21 pm

logan2z wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:52 pm
Also available in this configuration...

Holy shit that's ugly. It looks upside down too. I wouldn't buy that if Eric's, I mean Art's, AD gave me 90% off!

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:25 pm

Denizen wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:18 pm
logan2z wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Denizen wrote:
There's something about many of the GO watches in their case lines - 'the austere German sensibilities', very hard to describe...which other brands like JLC, Blancpain, etc don't struggle with. At least that's my opinion.

They are undisputed masters when it comes to doing everything in-house and they do a great job with finishing and engineering, etc.

It's the intangible side - the charm, the allure, the magic of their timepieces which they need to work on.
It depends on the model. The Senator Sixties is pretty slim and definitely has charm and allure IMHO.

Yes, the Senator Sixty is charming...and why I bought mine shortly after GO released it in 2007.

Sadly, most of their another lines (Pano, etc) don't hold the same allure for me.

I like GO as a cheap ALS substitute. Unfortunately, most of their stuff is too big and tall for me. A 36mm Pano at 8mm thick would be an instant buy for me.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:37 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Denizen wrote:
logan2z wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Denizen wrote:

I like GO as a cheap ALS substitute. Unfortunately, most of their stuff is too big and tall for me. A 36mm Pano at 8mm thick would be an instant buy for me.
The old panomatic models were a small 40. They wore really well.
:htfu:

Denizen

Post by Denizen » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:31 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:25 pm
Denizen wrote:
logan2z wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Denizen wrote:

Just how small is your wrist?

The model that just announced is 42mm and the one last week was 44mm. Getting up there...and we're not even getting into thickness.

KidKeith
Name: KidKeith

Post by KidKeith » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:48 pm

Am I crazy or is the IV upside down? Why would it be upside down? Wait ... only the V is upside down... Am I having a seizure?

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:57 pm

Denizen wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:31 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
Denizen wrote:
logan2z wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Denizen wrote:

The model that just announced is 42mm and the one last week was 44mm. Getting up there...and we're not even getting into thickness.
Small. It depends on my diet and how much I'm lifting, but anywhere from 6 to to 6.5 inches. Most "modern sized" watches are way too large. My 38mm IWC Mark XV is larger than I would want a dress watch.

Denizen

Post by Denizen » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:45 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:57 pm
Denizen wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:31 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
Denizen wrote:
logan2z wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Denizen wrote:

Small. It depends on my diet and how much I'm lifting, but anywhere from 6 to to 6.5 inches. Most "modern sized" watches are way too large. My 38mm IWC Mark XV is larger than I would want a dress watch.
Hmmm...ok. My wrist isn't a whole lot bigger at 6.75" (can swell to 7" after exercise).

I used to wish it was bigger, but I actually like my wrist just the way it is. I can wear a host of vintage watches that otherwise would be too small. And my XV and my BP Aqua Lung are perfect at 38mm.

I can see why a <38mm Pano that's not too thick would be a hit for you.