Find A Watchmaker: Finally got some traction!

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Morethan1
Frequent bumper of posts
Name: Alex

Find A Watchmaker: Finally got some traction!

Post by Morethan1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:28 am

Hey guys,

I've put in a lot of work ever since the last time I posted about Find A Watchmaker. I was able to gather some pretty cool watchmakers on the website. I also did a facelift to the home page.

What do you think?

http://www.findawatchmaker.com

:headbang:

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Re: Find A Watchmaker: Finally got some traction!

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:37 am

It's a nice looking website. I am, however, dubious of the quality of a Rolex Daytona movement service that costs $550 with a three-week turn around time. I wouldn't consider sending my Daytona without a massive number of positive reviews. I wouldn't "go live" without a critical mass of reviews.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:38 am

agreed
Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

Morethan1
Frequent bumper of posts

Post by Morethan1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:43 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:37 am
It's a nice looking website. I am, however, dubious of the quality of a Rolex Daytona movement service that costs $550 with a three-week turn around time. I wouldn't consider sending my Daytona without a massive number of positive reviews. I wouldn't "go live" without a critical mass of reviews.
And how would you go about getting reviews for a service no one has used before because there's no reviews...
Chicken and egg type scenario :shrug:

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:45 am

Morethan1 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:43 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
And how would you go about getting reviews for a service no one has used before because there's no reviews...

You need to discount heavily early on to get people to see the risk as worthwhile (while offering a strong warranty). You can gradually switch over to more favorable terms as you get the reputation up.
:htfu:

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:45 am

Morethan1 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:

Maybe compile a dossier? ;-)

:lol:

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:46 am

It's not really a chicken and egg scenario. It's very clear you need to invest first.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:56 am

Morethan1 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Now that's the kind of thinking that's going to lead to success!

Offer a huge discount and then put your own skin in the game. If you trust these guys, offer to pay out of pocket to compensate for their fuck ups. These guys are offering prices which are almost 1/3 the people I would trust and the turn around is half as long. That's going to raise eyebrows.

Morethan1
Frequent bumper of posts

Post by Morethan1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:59 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:56 am
Morethan1 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:

Offer a huge discount and then put your own skin in the game. If you trust these guys, offer to pay out of pocket to compensate for their fuck ups.
Sounds like a plan!
1. Convince the watchmakers to lower their prices.
2. Offer insurance
3. Offer cash incentives IF they fuck something up.

Any other Gold ideas guys :) :popcorn:

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:07 am

Morethan1 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Morethan1 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:

Offer a huge discount and then put your own skin in the game. If you trust these guys, offer to pay out of pocket to compensate for their fuck ups.
Sounds like a plan!
2. Offer insurance

It is your pet project. You want me to assume all the risk of sending a $10k plus watch to an un-vetted watchmaker who's charging less than the standard market price?
As the saying goes, if it sounds to good to be true...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:10 am

Morethan1 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:59 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
Morethan1 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:

Sounds like a plan!
2. Offer insurance

You asked for feedback.....There is the feedback....Valid concerns as far as i see.

Morethan1
Frequent bumper of posts

Post by Morethan1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:11 am

streetracer101 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:07 am
Morethan1 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Morethan1 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:

Sounds like a plan!
2. Offer insurance

It is your pet project. You want me to assume all the risk of sending a $10k plus watch to an un-vetted watchmaker who's charging less than the standard market price?
As the saying goes, if it sounds to good to be true...

I'll add references manually so vetting can be easier.
Insured shipping is a given.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:19 am

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:26 am

Serious question - how'd you vet these watchmakers? What stops me from signing up as a watchmaker and keeping all the watches that are sent to me and disappearing?
Have you actually used the services of any of these guys?

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:39 am

it seems like the same few guys regardless of what Geography you pick.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:08 am

I just clicked on CW21, Rolex, and automatic movement service and it brings up 1 result $600 for Watchmaker's International. That's Bob Ridley who's got a bad rep a few years ago. https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=366706 Not sure what the current reputation is on Bob though, it may have just been a rough patch in an otherwise good career.

Also no specifics on what's included. Does it include case /bracelet refinishing; new tube, stem, mainspring; pressure testing (to what depth - DSSD requires special equipment); warranty, etc.? WAY TOO little information provided and at that price, I'd just go to RUSA and get their warranty.
Last edited by BacoNoir on Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

james80
Name: James

Post by james80 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:22 am

Morethan1 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:28 am
I also did a facelift to the home page.
Couple of things

Once you leave the home page and get into the sharetribe section of the site you can't go back, whilst there may not be much reason to go back I think clicking the home link on the top left should reopen the home page.

Do I, the watch owner, pay you or the watch maker?

Do you make per transaction or do watchmakers pay to be on the site?

You had stated "our watchmakers" I think you need to be careful with that language (did you change that)?

I'd like to understand who liable for what? Your terms of service aren't very clear, yes they are sharetribes terms of service but where do you fit in?

On the IG page I think you should remove the AirBNB reference, it's cheesy and unless offering added services and protection like they do it's not a fitting reference.

All in all I think it's a good idea but I think you need to be very clear from the outset what you are. An advertising medium, a community, a trusted source of repairs?

And unfortunately building a web based service isn't free, if on the other hand you're thinking it's a community and hope to build on happy users and actual reviews it's going to take a while.
Morethan1 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:59 am

Sounds like a plan!
2. Offer insurance

In a nut shell yes, why should users trust your watchmaker? Why should they trust you? Whats the vetting process? What guarantees do I have if using a vetted (approved) service provider? If you want to be AirBNB or Uber you have to be prepared to take some risk. No one wants to hear that you're an uninterested third party.

If on the other hand you are strictly administrating a community where everyone is responsible for their own content and peoples decisions are based on feedback from other members your responsibility is very different. I'll say it one last time I think you have to be very clear about what you are and how you communicate that to the general public so as to manage expectations. Once you decide what you are you can plan to grow whatever that is. All I know is it's won't be quick and it won't be free.

Morethan1
Frequent bumper of posts

Post by Morethan1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:45 am

ericf4 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:39 am
it seems like the same few guys regardless of what Geography you pick.
On the bottom of each listing it tells you how far they are from your location.
I can disable showing watchmakers that are far from you.

Morethan1
Frequent bumper of posts

Post by Morethan1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:03 pm

If there is this much discussion and confusion, then I’ve clearly failed at conveying all the info. I really appreciate all the input guys.
james80 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:22 am
Once you leave the home page and get into the sharetribe section of the site you can't go back, whilst there may not be much reason to go back I think clicking the home link on the top left should reopen the home page.
Sharetribe doesn’t like it when you play with it’s code, so I can’t really change anything from their side. I might have to switch services as it’s becoming an expensive proposition to keep paying for their service with no sales.
james80 wrote:

Do you make per transaction or do watchmakers pay to be on the site?
I make 5% per transaction.
james80 wrote:

You had stated "our watchmakers" I think you need to be careful with that language (did you change that)?
I will change “our watchmakers”.
Noted

james80 wrote:

I'd like to understand who liable for what? Your terms of service aren't very clear, yes they are sharetribes terms of service but where do you fit in?
The watchmakers are liable.
I will make sure to make that more visible and evident.

james80 wrote:

On the IG page I think you should remove the AirBNB reference, it's cheesy and unless offering added services and protection like they do it's not a fitting reference.
Gotcha
james80 wrote:

All in all I think it's a good idea but I think you need to be very clear from the outset what you are. An advertising medium, a community, a trusted source of repairs?

And unfortunately building a web based service isn't free, if on the other hand you're thinking it's a community and hope to build on happy users and actual reviews it's going to take a while.
Ya. I realize that.
My goal was to be a marketplace where trusted watchmakers could offer their services to others.

james80 wrote:

In a nut shell yes, why should users trust your watchmaker? Why should they trust you? Whats the vetting process? What guarantees do I have if using a vetted (approved) service provider? If you want to be AirBNB or Uber you have to be prepared to take some risk. No one wants to hear that you're an uninterested third party.
Yes, building trust is key. How that’s done will take a while.
james80 wrote:

If on the other hand you are strictly administrating a community where everyone is responsible for their own content and peoples decisions are based on feedback from other members your responsibility is very different.
Pretty much what you outlined there. But I won’t be just administrating. I will be providing some sort of value in terms of content etc.
james80 wrote:

I'll say it one last time I think you have to be very clear about what you are and how you communicate that to the general public so as to manage expectations. Once you decide what you are you can plan to grow whatever that is. All I know is it's won't be quick and it won't be free.
Hasn’t been free so far my friend.
The only free thing has been the great feedback from you guys :gayumbrella:

Morethan1
Frequent bumper of posts

Post by Morethan1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:04 pm

BacoNoir wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:08 am
I just clicked on CW21, Rolex, and automatic movement service and it brings up 1 result $600 for Watchmaker's International. That's Bob Ridley who's got a bad rep a few years ago. https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=366706 Not sure what the current reputation is on Bob though, it may have just been a rough patch in an otherwise good career.

Also no specifics on what's included. Does it include case /bracelet refinishing; new tube, stem, mainspring; pressure testing (to what depth - DSSD requires special equipment); warranty, etc.? WAY TOO little information provided and at that price, I'd just go to RUSA and get their warranty.
Agreed, I have to create a standard template of the watchmakers need to include in their listings to make it absolutely clear what is and what isn't included.

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:15 pm

If you're not willing to invest in the business up front, you have no business taking the cut you want here. You can't pass all the risk onto the customers and just reap rewards.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:30 pm

Have you considered either using 2 screwdrivers, or scotch tape to ensure smooth transactions?

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:43 pm

Morethan1 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Presumably these watchmakers didn't just open their doors yesterday and sign up for your service. They likely already have reviews on Yelp, Google Reviews, etc. that you can link to in order to bootstrap your reviews section. Don't make your customers do all of the leg work to vet your watchmakers, any existing web reviews should be readily accessible via your web site.

Nomadz
Name: Nick

Post by Nomadz » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:59 pm

So the prices look decent. But who are they ?. Montoya showed an example which is I assume, purported to be their case refinishing.
It is however a picture of a Brit watchmakers work, lifted from a UK watch forum thread. That's pretty concerning.

https://findawatchmaker.sharetribe.com/ ... estoration
http://www.thewatchforum.co.uk/index.ph ... ke/&page=3
" The sunshine bores the daylights outta me......"

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:14 pm

This really is the "two screwdrivers" of start ups.