Discussion of Rolex Watches.
Chocodove
Name: Todd

Re: 126600

Post by Chocodove » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:26 am

I am sure the price increase is coming. Why let the forums sellers charge over list for a SS watch when they can easily get it themselves. Basel will be more interesting than usual with Rolex this year. I'm betting on new movements in the sports line.
JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:18 am
I'm not sure people would be any happier with that.
The TRF wannabe "investors" that seem to make up a disproportionate number of the membership there would cream their pants.
- Todd

TSD
Name: Tom

Post by TSD » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:26 am

Agree with all this (up to Art's point about his AD wooing him :lol:). But since I've never bought a Rolex from an AD (and have zero relationship power to factor in), I had to take all those considerations into account, and more. One of the interesting things I learned from this deal was how the TRF "trusted seller" relationship is built upon guys like my seller, who pulled back the curtain a little for me. He said historically he buys from ADs, and then immediately wholesales to David or Tony at a small premium (who really capitalize on their reputation and following to set the market).

This watch was sized, and all but a couple stickers on the clasp had been removed by the AD (which I assume was their nominal attempt to CYA against resale). Didn't matter to me, since I wanted to take a hammer to the cyclops anyway. Thanks for kind words guys, and I'll add more later as Master Wu's experts comes up with a mod to make this watch as it should have been. :salute:
Last edited by TSD on Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:26 am

Panerai7 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:23 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:06 am
Ryeguy wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:00 am
Regarding the watch, I have an issue buying anything at that price only to have to modify it to my expectations. Maybe there are enough Rolex buyers who want the cyclops magnification and I am the odd one, but it isn't my preference.
I think the vast majority of people want the cyclops. The Cyclops Dweller is complete anathema to me, but the SD4K was a historically consistent update that was a HUGE failure. Rolex gave it a fair shot and the market responded. I can't blame them too much for this new SD design. I'd never buy one, but it's a nice Rolex diver for the large wristed guys. Unfortunately, it's an SD in name only.
But Rolex left a lot of money on the table with discontinuing SDC, look at the prices of them now. They could have kept it in scaled down production and make a 42mm version of course without cyclops for larger wristed guys. If Omega can do 39.5 and 43.5 PO why couldn't Rolex?
Look at TRF. Those guys only buy what's "cool" and that watch wasn't cool until it was discontinued. It would have continued to be unloved if they continued production.

One of the big problems with this hobby is the number of people who lack the ability to judge a watch on its intrinsic qualities. It's all what hoedikee or some other dipshit said was cool.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:33 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:26 am
Panerai7 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:
Regarding the watch, I have an issue buying anything at that price only to have to modify it to my expectations. Maybe there are enough Rolex buyers who want the cyclops magnification and I am the odd one, but it isn't my preference.
I think the vast majority of people want the cyclops. The Cyclops Dweller is complete anathema to me, but the SD4K was a historically consistent update that was a HUGE failure. Rolex gave it a fair shot and the market responded. I can't blame them too much for this new SD design. I'd never buy one, but it's a nice Rolex diver for the large wristed guys. Unfortunately, it's an SD in name only.
But Rolex left a lot of money on the table with discontinuing SDC, look at the prices of them now. They could have kept it in scaled down production and make a 42mm version of course without cyclops for larger wristed guys. If Omega can do 39.5 and 43.5 PO why couldn't Rolex?
Look at TRF. Those guys only buy what's "cool" and that watch wasn't cool until it was discontinued. It would have continued to be unloved if they continued production.

One of the big problems with this hobby is the number of people who lack the ability to judge a watch on its intrinsic qualities. It's all what hoedikee or some other dipshit said was cool.
Very true.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:07 am

Seppia wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:05 am
Panerai7 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:13 am

This is on the Rolex radar - RSC NY is requiring an original purchase receipt for warranty work with a non-USA stamped warranty card. I'm sure Dallas and BH aren't far behind.
That's good.
Mhhhh.
partially unrelated, but I personally hate the "non transferable warranty" policy.
I find it completely BS, why shouldn't the warranty be valid if i bought second hand?

totally agree....it lets the manufacturer off the hook to stand behind their products IMO
Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:21 am

Seppia wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:13 am

This is on the Rolex radar - RSC NY is requiring an original purchase receipt for warranty work with a non-USA stamped warranty card. I'm sure Dallas and BH aren't far behind.
That's good.
Mhhhh.
partially unrelated, but I personally hate the "non transferable warranty" policy.
I find it completely BS, why shouldn't the warranty be valid if i bought second hand?
#fakenews

It is transferable. It just can't pass through a reseller before entering the hands of the first customer, which is 100% reasonable. The receipt doesn't have to be in your name. But good luck getting David SW to give you an original purchase receipt!

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:27 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:

That is the main reason I was without a Rolex in my collection for about 5 years. The number of owners I met in public and the TRF crowd that just owned a Rolex because it was a cool status symbol really put me off. I didn't want to be mistakenly associated with that image. But the 42mm Exp II finally brought me back to the brand, especially since the white dial doesn't get recognized as a Rolex by 99% of the world like a Sub does.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:37 am

BacoNoir wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:27 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:

That is the main reason I was without a Rolex in my collection for about 5 years. The number of owners I met in public and the TRF crowd that just owned a Rolex because it was a cool status symbol really put me off. I didn't want to be mistakenly associated with that image. But the 42mm Exp II finally brought me back to the brand, especially since the white dial doesn't get recognized as a Rolex by 99% of the world like a Sub does.
It's true of every brand. Even for a niche brand like Nomos, most buyers would struggle to identify the origins of their basic hand-wound movements.

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:44 am

TSD wrote:
Agree with all this (up to Art's point about his AD wooing him :lol:). But since I've never bought a Rolex from an AD (and have zero relationship power to factor in), I had to take all those considerations into account, and more. One of the interesting things I learned from this deal was how the TRF "trusted seller" relationship is built upon guys like my seller, who pulled back the curtain a little for me. He said historically he buys from ADs, and then immediately wholesales to David or Tony at a small premium (who really capitalize on their reputation and following to set the market).

This watch was sized, and all but a couple stickers on the clasp had been removed by the AD (which I assume was their nominal attempt to CYA against resale). Didn't matter to me, since I wanted to take a hammer to the cyclops anyway. Thanks for kind words guys, and I'll add more later as Master Wu's experts comes up with a mod to make this watch as it should have been. :salute:
And how many people are standing in line with that AD for the very same SS Sub or whatever model while that AD is peddling from the back door to your friend or TRF? All while small time AD's can't even get one in stock. One of mine hasn't seen a SS Sub ND or Date in over 3 months.
That's a big part of the problem and Rolex needs to fix it.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:50 am

Panerai7 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:44 am
TSD wrote:

And how many people are standing in line with that AD for the very same SS Sub or whatever model while that AD is peddling from the back door to your friend or TRF? All while small time AD's can't even get one in stock. One of mine hasn't seen a SS Sub ND or Date in over 3 months.
That's a big part of the problem and Rolex needs to fix it.
Not to mention the fact that waiting lists are absolutely jammed with people who just stuck their name on it so they could flip it for a quick couple bucks. Watches were more fun when only watch guys cared about them. This shit never happened back then.

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:58 am

I think it's still okay for "watch guy" type of watches. Look at JLC, they introduced new Polaris line and put them online and all the boutiques next day. Rolex has always been a status symbol for non-watch guys especially. Who are we kidding, even if Rolex in Basel 2018 introduces some super duper update to the subs and makes them perfect in every possible way we'll never see them for 2-3 years until TRF is done selling them to every schmuck who has too much money and has to have it now. Unless Rolex fixes the system.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:01 am

I suspect that Panerai was a lot more fun in 2002 than they are now. I think the brands are producing shitty watches and more and more new shitty buyers are coming in - it creates the perfect storm of shit.

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:08 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:01 am
I suspect that Panerai was a lot more fun in 2002 than they are now. I think the brands are producing shitty watches and more and more new shitty buyers are coming in - it creates the perfect storm of shit.
Yep first Pam I got in IIRC 2000, it was cool and weird. Everyone was WTF is that, $2500 for some dead Italian brand made in Switzerland? Looks like an alarm clock....and then it took off and then 15 years later who wants one? No one. I doubt this will happen to Rolex of course but they would deserve it

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:11 am

Congrats!

I like this new SD but not for me. The cyclops is odd, but I do like the red.
For me it would be SD4k... but I doubt it will be in my price range anytime soon.

About the whole taking the stickers off deal, Art, I can confirm that not all ADs do that. I picked up a brand new no date from an AD here and I was asked to get the bracelet sized. After I told them no thanks, they handed it over bagged up and that was that. All stickers intact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:21 am

If I could afford one I'd get one of these - Rolex retail strategies be damned

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:24 am

That's good to hear Ben, keep them as long as you can to preserve the polished surfaces :)

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:40 am

BBK357 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:11 am
About the whole taking the stickers off deal, Art, I can confirm that not all ADs do that. I picked up a brand new no date from an AD here and I was asked to get the bracelet sized. After I told them no thanks, they handed it over bagged up and that was that. All stickers intact.
When was that?

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:22 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
BBK357 wrote:
When was that?

A couple years ago... I picked it up for someone
DEATH FROM ABOVE

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:25 pm

Panerai7 wrote:That's good to hear Ben, keep them as long as you can to preserve the polished surfaces :)

Oh I take those sucker off and resin the whole thing! Image

Can’t have a watch looking like it actually gets worn Image
DEATH FROM ABOVE

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:25 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:22 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
BBK357 wrote:
When was that?

This is a newer development.

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:26 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:22 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
BBK357 wrote:
When was that?

Oh that's old news Ben, unfortunately.
I did that as well a few years ago with DSSD and with Pelagos 2 years ago. But last November even BBB that I bought was stripped off all of the plastic :(
And also, my AD was apologetic but he asked for my Drivers License to fill out the card and register me with Tudor/Rolex.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:47 pm

Seppia wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Seppia wrote:
Mhhhh.
#fakenews

It is transferable. It just can't pass through a reseller before entering the hands of the first customer, which is 100% reasonable. The receipt doesn't have to be in your name. But good luck getting David SW to give you an original purchase receipt!
This is great news
I read that the warranty wasn’t transferable on multiple places, I’m happy to see this is not the case.
And in my personal experience, that is only the case at NYC RSC, which apparently has its own set of rules. Dallas doesn’t care as long as you have a warranty card.
- Todd

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:49 pm

rockmastermike wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:21 am

Believe it or not this one actually made it to our AD, I saw it, that green text is just ugh... Get a normal Black one :thumbsup:

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:02 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:49 pm
rockmastermike wrote:

Believe it or not this one actually made it to our AD, I saw it, that green text is just ugh... Get a normal Black one :thumbsup:
The Durp Sea. That text is supposed to be a submarine going to the dark zone.

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:29 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:49 pm
rockmastermike wrote:

I’d have to try both on before hand for sure if I ever get that far