eBay slowly dumping PayPal

Get your nerd on.
pbj204
Name: Paul

Post by pbj204 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:48 pm

Just got this email from eBay. Looks like they'll be dumping PayPal over the next few years. Never heard of Adyen.

eBay is happy to announce plans to further improve the customer experience by intermediating payments on our Marketplace platform. In doing so, eBay will manage the payments flow, simplifying the end-to-end experience for both buyers and sellers. We have signed an agreement with Adyen, a leading global payments processor, to become our primary payments processing partner. PayPal, a long-time eBay partner, will be a payments option at checkout for eBay buyers.

You do not need to take any action at this time. The transition to full payments intermediation will be a multi-year journey.

Over the past three years, eBay has transformed its business to drive the best choice, most relevance and most powerful selling platform. Building out our payments capabilities is the next step in that strategy.

Payments intermediation will bring significant benefits for eBay sellers. You can expect a simplified pricing structure, more predictable access to funds, and most sellers can expect their costs of payments processing to be reduced. We’re also working on ways to provide sellers a central place to track and manage their business, which can soon include payments information.

By offering buyers more choice in how they pay and expanding payment options into more geographies, eBay believes sellers will be able to reach more buyers and improve conversion.

The transition to full payments intermediation will be a multi-year journey. eBay will begin intermediation on a small scale in North America starting in the second half of 2018, expanding in 2019 under the terms of the Operating Agreement with PayPal. In 2021, we expect to have transitioned a majority of Marketplace customers to the new payments experience.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Re: eBay slowly dumping PayPal

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:10 pm

I hope they are better than paypal.

nweash
Name: Nick

Post by nweash » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:59 pm

Those crafty bastards caught me trying to sell outside ebay. I guess they recently started scanning messages after a listing is pulled.

Still waiting to see if I get a bill.

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:03 pm

nweash wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:59 pm
Those crafty bastards caught me trying to sell outside ebay. I guess they recently started scanning messages after a listing is pulled.

Still waiting to see if they I get a bill.
They accused me of selling off ebay. Ironically, I didn't, but since I closed the $2000 listing early, they wacked me for $200 in fees. I really dislike ebay.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire

Post by deepcdvr » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:07 pm

I don’t do eBay or PayPal ;)
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:24 pm

deepcdvr wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:07 pm
I don’t do eBay or PayPal ;)
Yeah but you do mANUS instead :mrgreen:

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire

Post by deepcdvr » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:33 pm

^^^ funny guy
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

FlyPenFly
Name: Off, Jerk

Post by FlyPenFly » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:08 pm

I think ebay owns paypal?

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:10 pm

FlyPenFly wrote:I think ebay owns paypal?
.....but who owns mANUS?

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:58 am

streetracer101 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:03 pm
nweash wrote:

They accused me of selling off ebay. Ironically, I didn't, but since I closed the $2000 listing early, they wacked me for $200 in fees. I really dislike ebay.
I don't sell on eBay and have only purchased a copy items through the channel so I'm a total noob on this. Just to be clear, you posted a $2,000 item on eBay, then decided to end the sale early (for whatever reason) and eBay sent you a $200 bill?

If so, that is nuts.

By the same token, if you post an item on eBay, and your neighbor comes over and offers to buy it, you owe eBay money?

The deal sounds like the kind of contract you sign with a real estate agent when selling your house. It seems a bit overboard when selling a low cost item.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:21 am

Seems weird--eBay is spinning off Paypal only to sign up with Ayden, a payment processor. Maybe splitting with Paypal allows Paypal, that owns Venmo, more room to partner with other retailers. The payment space is like the wild west...

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:06 am

anyone know anything about Adyen? I know PP has it's faults but they have covered me a couple of times in the past....at least I know what I'm getting into with PayPal. Better to be with the devil you know than the devil you don't know.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:22 am

jimyritz wrote:Seems weird--eBay is spinning off Paypal only to sign up with Ayden, a payment processor. Maybe splitting with Paypal allows Paypal, that owns Venmo, more room to partner with other retailers. The payment space is like the wild west...
I was part of that whole family before my org and PayPal both spun off from eBay a few years back. Was 100% the right decision for our org. We never made sense within the eBay corp structure. I still use PayPal often and have no issues.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:57 am

Ryeguy wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
nweash wrote:

I don't sell on eBay and have only purchased a copy items through the channel so I'm a total noob on this. Just to be clear, you posted a $2,000 item on eBay, then decided to end the sale early (for whatever reason) and eBay sent you a $200 bill?

If so, that is nuts.

By the same token, if you post an item on eBay, and your neighbor comes over and offers to buy it, you owe eBay money?

The deal sounds like the kind of contract you sign with a real estate agent when selling your house. It seems a bit overboard when selling a low cost item.
Sort of. I had an item listed and a local buyer contacted me about it on eBay. I told him via their message system that I couldn't discuss an outside sale thru them, but he could contact me on WUS or TZ (written like that). The guy never contacted me. About 2 weeks later I ended up trading the item, so I closed the listing. eBay accused me of an outside sale and forced me to pay the bill for the full buy it now price.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:19 am

streetracer101 wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
nweash wrote:

If so, that is nuts.

Sort of. I had an item listed and a local buyer contacted me about it on eBay. I told him via their message system that I couldn't discuss an outside sale thru them, but he could contact me on WUS or TZ (written like that). The guy never contacted me. About 2 weeks later I ended up trading the item, so I closed the listing. eBay accused me of an outside sale and forced me to pay the bill for the full buy it now price.

Did you end up paying? Seems unreal they could make you pay if you didn't sell thru them.

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:24 am

ericf4 wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
nweash wrote:

If so, that is nuts.

Did you end up paying? Seems unreal they could make you pay if you didn't sell thru them.

Yes. They threatened my credit, which is worth more than losing $200 to me.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:23 am

ericf4 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:22 am
jimyritz wrote:Seems weird--eBay is spinning off Paypal only to sign up with Ayden, a payment processor. Maybe splitting with Paypal allows Paypal, that owns Venmo, more room to partner with other retailers. The payment space is like the wild west...
I was part of that whole family before my org and PayPal both spun off from eBay a few years back. Was 100% the right decision for our org. We never made sense within the eBay corp structure. I still use PayPal often and have no issues.

Will be interesting to see what happnes with Paypal, I could see someone buying them to compete with the Credit Card companies, Apple, Zelle, First Data, etc...

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:21 am

I’d use eBay and even pay the crazy fees if I could specify the payment types I accept, but that isn’t the case. If you use eBay yo are required to accept PayPal and that means all the negatives that go with it. I pass.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:25 am

hoppyjr wrote:I’d use eBay and even pay the crazy fees if I could specify the payment types I accept, but that isn’t the case. If you use eBay yo are required to accept PayPal and that means all the negatives that go with it. I pass.
That's a great point. It's propped up as making the buying and selling experience quick and easy, which it is. ALL At at the expense of choice.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:32 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:24 am
ericf4 wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
nweash wrote:

If so, that is nuts.

I totally understand why you did this, but dang it seems like they robbed you.

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:36 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
ericf4 wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
nweash wrote:

If so, that is nuts.

They did, but to be fair, I sold off eBay several times and avoided their fees.
I was due to get pinged.
I just wish there was an alternative to sell some of my crap. I've currently got about $450 worth of stuff on eBay right now because there aren't any better alternatives.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:36 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
ericf4 wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
nweash wrote:

If so, that is nuts.

They did, but to be fair, I sold off eBay several times and avoided their fees.
I was due to get pinged.
I just wish there was an alternative to sell some of my crap. I've currently got about $450 worth of stuff on eBay right now because there aren't any better alternatives.

Tough to get that big an audience like eBay has.

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:05 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:10 pm
FlyPenFly wrote:I think ebay owns paypal?
.....but who owns mANUS?
Anybody with $10 and 5 minutes (or is it $5 and 10 minutes?)
“Punishable by fine” = Legal for a price.”