New PCA Speedmaster

Discussion of Omega watches.
logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

New PCA Speedmaster

Post by logan2z » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:41 pm

Omega and the Porsche Club of America have teamed up on a limited edition Speedmaster. From the press release:

Following the successful Porsche Club of America collectible watches by Chopard and TAG Heuer, we are proud to announce an amazing new partnership with one of the most iconic watch brands, prestigious Swiss watchmaker OMEGA, which has created a new ultra-limited-edition Speedmaster chronograph in collaboration with PCA. Only 99 pieces worldwide will be made available exclusively for club members. This will be one of the most collectible OMEGA timepieces ever created.

The Speedmaster PCA Limited Edition “SPEEDY PCA” combines OMEGA’s most advanced innovations with the PCA’s expert motoring knowledge, and pays tribute to the famous sports car brand as well as the world of speed.

The watch features a 44.25-mm case made from polished and brushed gray ceramic with an exclusive plasma treatment. Some of the hands and other details, such as the tachymeter wording, appear in yellow. It is no accident that the color scheme of the “Speedy PCA” Omega Speedmaster looks remarkably like the high-performance carbon-ceramic brakes found on many Porsche sports cars, where the brake discs are gray and the calipers are yellow.

It also includes a ceramised Grade 5 titanium dial. The watch comes with a driver-style gray leather strap with micro-perforations that reveal an interior made from yellow rubber. The driving force of the timepiece is the OMEGA Co-Axial Calibre 9300, a superb automatic movement that can be found behind the sapphire-crystal caseback, which includes a Porsche Club of America logo transferred in yellow.

Only 99 pieces of this watch are available worldwide. The price is $12,911 plus shipping and handling. It can be exclusively ordered FROM November 9, 2017, at 12 noon EST, at
WWW.PCATIME.COM

Due to the extremely limited availability, orders will be processed on a first-come first-served basis. Deliveries will start mid December 2017.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Re: New PCA Speedmaster

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:54 am

All you bud, I don't have a VW 😉

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:58 am

99 pieces? I bet that will sell out quickly.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:22 am

sounds like a cool piece...

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:29 am

Panerai7 wrote:All you bud, I don't have a VW Image
I'm not a buyer. It's nice but I can think of several other watches for $13K that I'd buy before this one.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:04 am

logan2z wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:29 am
Panerai7 wrote:All you bud, I don't have a VW Image
I'm not a buyer. It's nice but I can think of several other watches for $13K that I'd buy before this one.
That's the problem with these LTD editions, a regular side of the moon is in 6K range but these will never get there.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:11 am

A $13,000 omega is like buying an expensive suit at the GAP. At least this one sorta matches someone's Porsche.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:33 am

JP Chestnut wrote:At least this one sorta matches someone's Porsche.
Yup, any of them with the ceramic brake option - hence the choice of grey ceramic and yellow accents for the watch.

jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:56 am

as so eloquently explained in the pca email lol:

"It is no accident that the color scheme of the “Speedy PCA” Omega Speedmaster looks remarkably like the high-performance carbon-ceramic brakes found on many Porsche sports cars, where the brake discs are gray and the calipers are yellow."

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:57 am

I've actually been pricing out new 911's. The 911T is pretty attractive to me as an everyday car.

The carbon brakes are cheaper than the watch. Do you know what pad life is like on the ceramic brakes? I know it used to suck if you tracked them.

jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:02 am

2nd gen rotors are reportedly far more durable.
many 997 folks still on original rotors with plenty of life left still

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:19 am

Good to know. I remember people being right pissed about how quickly they were cracking when they first came out.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:20 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:57 am
I've actually been pricing out new 911's. The 911T is pretty attractive to me as an everyday car.

The carbon brakes are cheaper than the watch. Do you know what pad life is like on the ceramic brakes? I know it used to suck if you tracked them.
That would make a great everyday car. But for whatever reason, I've become uncomfortable about driving a 'showy' car to work. So, I've got my Cayman R up for sale because it sits in the garage 95% of the time. Our 2001 BMW 330i with 192K miles on the clock has become my daily driver :) I use the 993 on the weekends.

DrWapenshaw
Name: J

Post by DrWapenshaw » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:31 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:19 am
Good to know. I remember people being right pissed about how quickly they were cracking when they first came out.

The last time I saw someone "losing their sh!+" in public was not at WalMart, it was at a Porsche dealership. It seemed to be a case of when a$$holes collide, but I was understanding when the dollar signs started getting thrown around, quite impressive costs associated with those fancy Porsche vehicles.
Was that wrong? Should I not have done that?

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:50 am

I thought this was an interesting article.

https://content.autotrader.com/content/ ... gue-267318
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:32 am

CGSshorty wrote:I thought this was an interesting article.

A future $15,000 brake repair?? Insane. Absolutely insane.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:38 am

I’ve been thinking about how I spend - and all the $$ I’ve spent in watches. Maybe getting to a couple pieces and calling it quits.

I’ve loved Porsche since I was a kid and i would love to buy a nice used one in a few years.

I was looking up info on used cayman but stopped after I read this:

Mechanical issues and lawsuit:

The Cayman and also the Boxster have been plagued by catastrophic engine failures.[104] Porsche recently settled a class-action lawsuit regarding the failures.[105]

Some Boxster models manufactured between May 4, 2001 and February 21, 2005 have suffered catastrophic engine failure due to a fault with the intermediate shaft (IMS) bearing, which has resulted in a class action lawsuit against Porsche Cars North America (referred to as Eisen v. Porsche Cars North America). A settlement was agreed in March 2013, subject to court approval. Other types of engine failure experienced in the Boxster are not addressed by this suit. Additionally, the issues are not limited to the model years covered in the suit, or to the Boxster; the Cayman and 911 share the same type of engine and are also affected. In fact, all model years of Boxster, Cayman and 911 manufactured between 1997 and 2008 are subject to the now-notorious IMS bearing failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:00 am

BBK357 wrote:I’ve been thinking about how I spend - and all the $$ I’ve spent in watches. Maybe getting to a couple pieces and calling it quits.

I’ve loved Porsche since I was a kid and i would love to buy a nice used one in a few years.

The Cayman and also the Boxster have been plagued by catastrophic engine failures.[104] Porsche recently settled a class-action lawsuit regarding the failures.[105]

Some Boxster models manufactured between May 4, 2001 and February 21, 2005 have suffered catastrophic engine failure due to a fault with the intermediate shaft (IMS) bearing, which has resulted in a class action lawsuit against Porsche Cars North America (referred to as Eisen v. Porsche Cars North America). A settlement was agreed in March 2013, subject to court approval. Other types of engine failure experienced in the Boxster are not addressed by this suit. Additionally, the issues are not limited to the model years covered in the suit, or to the Boxster; the Cayman and 911 share the same type of engine and are also affected. In fact, all model years of Boxster, Cayman and 911 manufactured between 1997 and 2008 are subject to the now-notorious IMS bearing failure.

That only applies to the older engines with an IMS. Buy a 987.2 Cayman and you won't have that issue. There's also a retrofit for the IMS engines from LN Engineering that all but eliminates the possibility of failure.

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:02 pm

CGSshorty wrote:I thought this was an interesting article.

That's crazy. To be fair, my $50k (new) GMC Sierra costs $50 for an oil change at the dealer. An oil change in a $60k (new) Porsche can be upwards of $350 at the dealership, so I I'd imagine brakes will be proportionally over priced regardless of if they are steel or ceramic. It's the luxury tax you pay to enjoy the fancy toys, just like that of a fancy watch vs a Tissot.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Nomadz
Name: Nick

Post by Nomadz » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:12 pm

!3K is about what my dad paid for his lightly used Porsche, at the dealer, back in the day.
" The sunshine bores the daylights outta me......"

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:56 pm

logan2z wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:00 am
BBK357 wrote:I’ve been thinking about how I spend - and all the $$ I’ve spent in watches. Maybe getting to a couple pieces and calling it quits.

That only applies to the older engines with an IMS. Buy a 987.2 Cayman and you won't have that issue. There's also a retrofit for the IMS engines from LN Engineering that all but eliminates the possibility of failure.
^^^This, I almost bought one with a engine that was blown but the cost kept me from doing it.