*** Tapatalk Plugin Upgrade ***

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Re: *** Tapatalk Plugin Upgrade ***

Post by demer03 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:05 am

For me, since the new software it’s always hang time...takes forever for the post to take.
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:18 am

Many times I've noticed a delay during a Tapatalk post. Best thing to do is NOT to try and submit it again. Each time this happened I checked the post thru my browser and it's already there.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:25 am

59yukon01 wrote:Many times I've noticed a delay during a Tapatalk post. Best thing to do is NOT to try and submit it again. Each time this happened I checked the post thru my browser and it's already there.
I noticed that when the post hangs like that I just tried backing out of it and then I hit discard that way it's still posts and I don't end up double posting

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:32 am

demer03 wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:05 am
For me, since the new software it’s always hang time...takes forever for the post to take.
i have the same issue with how long it takes to post in a browser window.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:04 pm

I experience intermittent delays in posting too. I have a theory about the cause, although I haven't spent enough time to actually prove it yet:

I think the issue may be related to Tapatalk's push message processing. Tapatalk uses push messages to send notifications to app users when certain events occur eg. When a post is made in a thread you've subscribed to, someone replies to your post etc. As others have noted, the post actually shows up on the forum nearly immediately. You can verify this by opening another browser window while your post appears to 'hang'. Since the post appears on the forum immediately that means the issue isn't with the forum software, web server or the database. However, if you look at the network traffic between the browser and the server while the post is hanging, you'll see that the response to the server request has not been returned to the browser yet. This response is what tells the app/browser that the post is complete. My guess is that this is only sent once the Tapatalk push message is complete, and if there's a delay in sending the push request the response to the browser/app is delayed.

To test this theory, edit an existing post rather than creating a new post. Tapatalk doesn't send push messages when a post is edited. I have never experienced any delay when editing a post, only when creating a new post. Post edits go through the same web server, forum software and database, which is further proof that none of these components are the cause of the delay. I think this also explains why both Tapatalk and browser users experience this issue. Posts made from the browser generate the same events as posts made from the app so that app users don't miss any events. Further proof of this is that the delays went away when we disabled the Tapatalk plugin.

Apologies for the long-winded reply. Just thought some of you might be interested in a possible explanation for this behavior.

demer03

Post by demer03 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:34 pm

I don’t have tapatalk, and have the long hang time.

Don’t know if that means anything.

nweash
Name: Nick

Post by nweash » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:44 pm

I appreciate the detailed theory.

It makes all the sense in the world especially with the editing posts not hanging at all.

The editing post process feels exactly how posting originally used to be before switching web hosts.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:46 pm

demer03 wrote:I don’t have tapatalk, and have the long hang time.

Don’t know if that means anything.
It means you didn't read my post :)

demer03

Post by demer03 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:49 pm

It just means I was clarifying my position for your diagnostic info....but hey ho. I’ll leave you to it.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:14 pm

demer03 wrote:It just means I was clarifying my position for your diagnostic info....but hey ho. I’ll leave you to it.
Get off Mike’s lawn!!
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

demer03

Post by demer03 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:58 am

CGSshorty wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:14 pm
demer03 wrote:It just means I was clarifying my position for your diagnostic info....but hey ho. I’ll leave you to it.
Get off Mike’s lawn!!
:lol:

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:09 pm

Just to reiterate that this is not a DWC-specific issue, I see this was posted by a forum admin on the Tapatalk plugin support forum the other day:

So this just started happening... I've had no Tapatalk issues in the last year.

Essentially, with tapatalk enabled I get quick page loads... but if a user tries to post a thread or reply to a thread it takes minutes to post. This leads to a lot of angry users and a lot of double posts.

If I disable the tapatalk plugin, the problem goes away entirely.

Further, even with the tapatalk plugin enabled the tapatalk dashboard reads - plugin status: failed.

I'm using VB 3.8 series and the latest version of the tapatalk plugin.

Any idea as to what is going on?

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

*** Tapatalk Plugin Upgrade ***

Post by HapaHapa » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:10 pm

Just wanted to comment that as of late last night the Tapatalk lag seems to have gone away. So much better!

Edit- never mind. It’s better but still there.
The Hapa

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:02 pm

HapaHapa wrote:Just wanted to comment that as of late last night the Tapatalk lag seems to have gone away. So much better!

Edit- never mind. It’s better but still there.
Seems better overall for me too, but I still do get the lag occasionally.

I finally got the attention of someone at Tapatalk and I'm working with him to investigate this further.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:11 pm

I have zero problems over at USN

DWC is worse now than it was before for some Reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:16 pm

I have zero problems over at USN

DWC is worse now than it was before for some Reason

DEATH FROM ABOVE

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:28 am

I am still locked out of WUS on Tapatalk despite changing my password. What am I doing wrong?
David St. Hubbins

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:51 am

CGSshorty wrote:I am still locked out of WUS on Tapatalk despite changing my password. What am I doing wrong?
Did you try two screwdrivers?

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:06 am

CGSshorty wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:28 am
I am still locked out of WUS on Tapatalk despite changing my password. What am I doing wrong?

This is what worked quickly for me. Went to WUS on my laptop using Chrome. Was redirected to change password. Link was embedded in the word page or here. Can't remember but it was not so obvious. Successfully changed it. Went ahead and changed password here and 2 other forums I use while still using my laptop. After changing all 4 passwords I opened Tapatalk on my mobile, and changed that password as well. All 5 are the same as it's easier for me. Then I was able to go to all 4 forums same as always. I've also read you may have to clear your Tapatalk cache. I didn't have to though.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:29 am

I updated tapatalk today and it’s way better now

DEATH FROM ABOVE

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:17 am

CGSshorty wrote:I am still locked out of WUS on Tapatalk despite changing my password. What am I doing wrong?
Chris. I was too.
Got it figured out.
The problem was the password you were changing it to.
I did do it on my pc but I don’t think that was the issue. You could change it via browser on your phone as well. The issue is only on computer does it tell you the password specifications.
It must be 10 characters, one upper case, at least one number and at least one symbol.
I did it and once I did I went and logged in via Tapatalk and all was good.

Btw, if anyone has issues with remembering passwords, get password keeper via App Store. I save all my passwords there and you can sync with your browser on laptop as well. $15 a year saves it in cloud as well. I could not live without it these days.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:47 am

My password meets all those criteria. I’ll try it in my computer tonight. I did it on the mobile site on my phone with no luck.
David St. Hubbins

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:26 am

tattoo chef wrote:
Chris. I was too.
Got it figured out.
I did do it on my pc but I don’t think that was the issue. You could change it via browser on your phone as well. The issue is only on computer does it tell you the password specifications.
It must be 10 characters, one upper case, at least one number and at least one symbol.

Btw, if anyone has issues with remembering passwords, get password keeper via App Store. I save all my passwords there and you can sync with your browser on laptop as well. $15 a year saves it in cloud as well. I could not live without it these days.

Another good program is eWallet. It works on all the platforms, syncs to iCloud on Apple, and doesn’t have a yearly fee. I’ve been using it since about 2005-06 on my Blackberry. Good stuff.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:55 am

hoppyjr wrote:
tattoo chef wrote:
Chris. I was too.
Got it figured out.

Another good program is eWallet. It works on all the platforms, syncs to iCloud on Apple, and doesn’t have a yearly fee. I’ve been using it since about 2005-06 on my Blackberry. Good stuff.

I’ll look into that. I’ve been using keeper for so long I’m just content with it.
If you change phones and such, no issues? You can do free on keeper but cloud backup to keeper is what they charge you for.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:35 pm

tattoo chef wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
tattoo chef wrote:
Chris. I was too.
Got it figured out.

I’ll look into that. I’ve been using keeper for so long I’m just content with it.
If you change phones and such, no issues? You can do free on keeper but cloud backup to keeper is what they charge you for.

I’m all Mac/Apple, so it syncs with iCloud. It also offers Dropbox sync, also no charge.

I believe it has an option for importing from another keeper app.

It was one of the first and I absolutely love it. In fact, it’s my all time favorite app.