Seiko Originality

Discussion of Seiko watches
Aaron Shapiro
Name: Aaron Shapiro

Seiko Originality

Post by Aaron Shapiro » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:48 pm

I’m trying to source a birth year (1986) seiko Diver. I’ve found a 6309-7290 on eBay but I’m tryin to determine if it’s at least mostly original. Thoughts??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TSD
Name: Tom

Re: Seiko Originality

Post by TSD » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:02 pm

Aaron, I always referred back to some of the posts by old Seiko hands who really knew those details to look for in a 6309. This is just one example:​
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f281/how-b ... 40799.html

I wouldn't put much faith in an eBay seller to have an all-original watch. Can't really tell much about the dial, handset, bezel, etc. from those photos, but the fat font on the bezel insert definitely looks off to me. Typically, on the dial, you want to see that the printing is crisp and not blurry under macro shots, the "Seiko Automatic" font will be silvery-white (not flat white), and on that dial there is probably a slight bevel to the date window (not totally flat, but much less than a 6309-7049). The movement code at the bottom under 6 should read "6309-735M R" followed by a Suwa symbol that is probably 1.5 times larger than the text).

The script of the movement code on the dial you posted also looks over sized and wrong to me. You may have an original dial, but it's the little details that give a fake dial away. If I were to guess, that is not a genuine dial either, so it's got a couple potential aftermarket aspects which likely hurts value. Good luck finding the right one. :salute:

Selym
Name: Myles

Re: Seiko Originality

Post by Selym » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:11 pm

That's a reproduction dial. The real deal has a 12 o'clock marker with pointier triangles, if that makes any sense.

Here's my 6309-729A, all original save for the SKX007 hand set.