Nitrogen?

Discussion of Sinn watches.
namor
Name: Seth

Nitrogen?

Post by namor » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:08 pm

This may be old news to some, but l just learned that Sinn no longer uses inert Argon in its case fills, and instead uses Nitrogen. I find that to be pretty shitty on several levels. Firstly, the "Ar" on the dial should now be a "N2". Secondly, Nitrogen is not a noble gas, and can in fact react with some elements. Thirdly, it is not noticeably heavier or larger a gas, one of the advantages that is touted with Argon.

I realize no one is buying a Sinn because of the Ar fill, or will not buy one because it's now N2. It does seem a bit dishonest of a Sinn especially since they still tout the Ar in their description
www.usmcscoutsniper.org - Life Member
“Qualified to deport with denizens of the deep, mermaids, and other inhabitants of the realm of Neptune.”

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Re: Nitrogen?

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:31 pm

Old news, and a pretty useless and inconvenient "technology" no matter what gas they use.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:23 pm

Seppia wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:12 pm
So basically now they are filled with "Air".
Normal Air is 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen and 1% "other stuff" (mostly argon).
While I would never pay for pure Nitrogen in my tires, I suppose the advantage to using pure Nitrogen in a watch is that it would not have moisture suspended and would allow the metals to go longer without corrosion. Regular ambient air would have moisture in it.

Also, supposedly Nitrogen molecules are larger than Oxygen and would have a harder time escaping through the seals. Nitrogen is also still less reactive than Oxygen to metals. I suppose all-in-all it is better than regular air, but maybe not as good as Argon.

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:43 pm

Do the green caps mean tires are nitrogen filled? Saw those on coworkers Infiniti.
The Hapa

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:49 pm

I'd imagine the benefits of this "gas fill" stuff is all pretty minimal. It's another feature to help differentiate Sinn from the masses.

If it were really all that great I'd expect Sinn would use it in their "deep divers" by they don't.

No big deal, but they should remove the Ar symbol.

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:00 pm

HapaHapa wrote:Do the green caps mean tires are nitrogen filled? Saw those on coworkers Infiniti.
Off the line, yes. Whether they've decided to keep filling up with nitrogen is anyone's guess. I know I haven't refilled with it.
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

kfalk
Old Chub
Name: Kelly

Post by kfalk » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:02 pm

I think they should use methane with an escape valve.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:19 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
If it were really all that great I'd expect Sinn would use it in their "deep divers" by they don't.
The U2 and U1000 both use it.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:21 pm

While I don't care about which solution they choose, I would prefer them be upfront about whatever they're doing.

Honestly, I'd prefer the incoming EZM 1.1 to not include any element indication on the dial.
:htfu:

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:44 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
The U2 and U1000 both use it.
OK, I stand corrected.

Either way, I think gas is unnecessary in a watch.

Safetystop
Diving (muff) is not a team sport.
Name: Dr. Eaton Beaver

Post by Safetystop » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:00 pm

namor wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:08 pm
This may be old news to some, but l just learned that Sinn no longer uses inert Argon in its case fills, and instead uses Nitrogen. I find that to be pretty shitty on several levels. Firstly, the "Ar" on the dial should now be a "N2". Secondly, Nitrogen is not a noble gas, and can in fact react with some elements. Thirdly, it is not noticeably heavier or larger a gas, one of the advantages that is touted with Argon.

I realize no one is buying a Sinn because of the Ar fill, or will not buy one because it's now N2. It does seem a bit dishonest of a Sinn especially since they still tout the Ar in their description
Yeah...not really. The reactive form of Nitrogen (Nr) will react with it's environment. However, non-reactive Nitrogen (N2) will not unless in the presence of Oxygen which will help dissociate the bonds. Not entirely but will help. The triple bonds of N2 need too much energy, (in a pure environment) to be considered reactive. So there really is nothing to get upset about. It's a fine replacement.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:06 pm

Safetystop wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:00 pm
namor wrote:

Yeah...not really. The reactive form of Nitrogen (Nr) will react with it's environment. However, non-reactive Nitrogen (N2) will not unless in the presence of Oxygen which will help dissociate the bonds. Not entirely but will help. The triple bonds of N2 need too much energy, (in a pure environment) to be considered reactive. So there really is nothing to get upset about. It's a fine replacement.
Who is this clown?
:htfu:

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:18 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Safetystop wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:00 pm
namor wrote:

Who is this clown?
He's a Doctor. Dr. SafetyStop.