Vertex Watches M100

Discussion of microbrand watches
poppydog
aka Nelldog
Name: Steve

Re: Vertex Watches M100

Post by poppydog » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:21 am

I really like it, but the selling method seems odd, and it is expensive. I was looking at some Omega WWW in a jewellers the other day, first time I'd seen any in the "flesh" as it were; there was also a '53 Omega pilot's watch, beautiful piece and not bad pricing. Seller was an established business (physical shop) and prices were better than I've seen on ebay. Seemed genuine too, telling me the WW2 'dirty dozen' looked as though the dial might have been restored at some point as it looked "too sharp".
Regards

Steve

Cal59
Name: Don Cochrane

Post by Cal59 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:55 pm

hoppyjr, thanks for taking the time and trouble to write about Vertex, it's great to hear there are somethings you like about our new watch.

I'm sorry so many people take exception to the sales model. Starting a company is, fairly scary, particularly when you're launching the company in what is a very saturated market. At the time I didn't know if anyone remembers vertex or would really care.
So the path to market we went for an ensured at launch that we could really build a brand around customers and our relationships and create some sort community and of course stand out a little.
Lots been made of the Victoria secrets model comment, its unfortunate as there also 10 soldiers five teachers six doctors and many people from extremely normal walks of life. As Vertex grows owners get to invite whoever they like which has added more diversity still as for the Victoria's Secret model she's my friend and she's absolutely lovely. The other thing the Hodinkee did not mention is that anyone with an original Vertex Dirty Dozen watch can buy the new M100 too.
I'm also sorry about the price point but this is what I have to sell the watch for if I want to remain in business. There is nothing in the M100 that is cheap and again starting a company, protecting the brand and marketing comes at a cost.
Vertex will grow from here and there will be other watches in the future. I love diving and I love dive watches so I will be sure to share some ideas with you in the future.

Don

gonzomantis
Name: Mike

Post by gonzomantis » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:17 pm

It's a great looking piece, and I hope things go well fr the company. If only it were something you could afford to do on a larger scale, at a more competitive price point...

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:21 pm

Cal59 wrote:hoppyjr, thanks for taking the time and trouble to write about Vertex, it's great to hear there are somethings you like about our new watch.

I'm sorry so many people take exception to the sales model. Starting a company is, fairly scary, particularly when you're launching the company in what is a very saturated market. At the time I didn't know if anyone remembers vertex or would really care.
So the path to market we went for an ensured at launch that we could really build a brand around customers and our relationships and create some sort community and of course stand out a little.
Lots been made of the Victoria secrets model comment, its unfortunate as there also 10 soldiers five teachers six doctors and many people from extremely normal walks of life. As Vertex grows owners get to invite whoever they like which has added more diversity still as for the Victoria's Secret model she's my friend and she's absolutely lovely. The other thing the Hodinkee did not mention is that anyone with an original Vertex Dirty Dozen watch can buy the new M100 too.
I'm also sorry about the price point but this is what I have to sell the watch for if I want to remain in business. There is nothing in the M100 that is cheap and again starting a company, protecting the brand and marketing comes at a cost.
Vertex will grow from here and there will be other watches in the future. I love diving and I love dive watches so I will be sure to share some ideas with you in the future.

Don

Hi Don. Thanks for stopping by.

I left my contact info via email around the same day I posted this, so maybe when these get released to a wider audience I'll be able to afford one.

It's a fantastic looking watch.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:07 am

It's a great looking watch, but I can't help but to think of the parallels with Monta in the go-to-market strategy.

I appreciate Don's willingness to join the discussion and I wish him nothing but success.

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:41 am

Ryeguy wrote:It's a great looking watch, but I can't help but to think of the parallels with Monta in the go-to-market strategy.

I appreciate Don's willingness to join the discussion and I wish him nothing but success.
Yup. I predict a Monta style fail with this one. Simply put - make a good product, avoid smoke and mirrors, and price correct and it'll sell. This one is destined for failure.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Bradystraps
Name: Todd

Post by Bradystraps » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:01 am

Cal59 wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:55 pm
hoppyjr, thanks for taking the time and trouble to write about Vertex, it's great to hear there are somethings you like about our new watch.

Don

Hi Don...
Welcome. This is a great forum with a solid group of gents that will give you constructive and honest opinions. Most are very watch savvy and courteous and you can learn a lot here while also enjoying our "hobby". ;)

As a fellow Micro owner I too know all of the struggles, stress and excitement that goes along with launching a company and watch project. Hang in there and try not to let the bumps in the road take you off course.

The M100 looks wonderful and I hope you are able to sell them. I wish you nothing but success. :cheers:

Regards,
Todd

Cal59

Post by Cal59 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:09 am

streetracer101 wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:41 am
Ryeguy wrote:It's a great looking watch, but I can't help but to think of the parallels with Monta in the go-to-market strategy.

Yup. I predict a Monta style fail with this one. Simply put - make a good product, avoid smoke and mirrors, and price correct and it'll sell. This one is destined for failure.

Hey Ryeguy,

Thanks for your optimism, to be honest my sole objective was to revive my great-grandfathers company and see Vertex watches back in the world again so I'm feeling pretty happy at the moment. Failure is of course a relative term but it's all good right now.

Cal59

Post by Cal59 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:11 am

Bradystraps wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:01 am
Cal59 wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:55 pm

Don

Hi Don...
Welcome. This is a great forum with a solid group of gents that will give you constructive and honest opinions. Most are very watch savvy and courteous and you can learn a lot here while also enjoying our "hobby". ;)

As a fellow Micro owner I too know all of the struggles, stress and excitement that goes along with launching a company and watch project. Hang in there and try not to let the bumps in the road take you off course.

The M100 looks wonderful and I hope you are able to sell them. I wish you nothing but success. :cheers:

Regards,
Todd
Todd, thank you so much, it of course feels great to know that I'm not alone. Where are you based it be amazing to have a real catch up some point...

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:09 pm

Cal59 wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:09 am
streetracer101 wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:41 am

Hey Ryeguy,

Thanks for your optimism, to be honest my sole objective was to revive my great-grandfathers company and see Vertex watches back in the world again so I'm feeling pretty happy at the moment. Failure is of course a relative term but it's all good right now.
Don, I actually do wish you the best of luck. If your sole goal was to revive the brand, then congratulations in achieving your objective.

Over the last 6 months we've seen a variety of innovative ways to bring a new (or in your case, revived) brand to market. Monta chose to become the darling of the blogger Red Bar community and market themselves as kind of the "premium brand for enthusiasts in the know". They've seemed to struggle a bit as it seems there simply aren't enough enthusiasts willing to pay a premium for an unknown brand.

Vertex is the first I've heard of selecting specific customers through invite and then allowing those customers to invite the next layer of customer and so on. While it seems a rather engineered, almost pyramid strategy, if nothing else it is an interesting social experiment. If it allows Vertex to remain a viable watch company into the future, fantastic, but I have my doubts. Again, I hope you can prove me wrong with your next release.

The sales strategy seems to play on the pull of "you can't have it", but with the reality of the M100 being of a fairly common style, I guess I'd vote with my wallet for a similarly styled Longines or maybe the Tudor BBH 41. At least with those choices, for the same investment, I'd have confidence in the long-term support of a recognized brand.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:35 pm

This "you can't have it" sales strategy reminds me of a hipster dude who always responds "it's vintage, you can't find it anymore" whenever you ask them where they bought something.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:56 pm

This sales strategy screams "we don't need your money so buzz off".

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:03 pm

i think it works on a very narrow audience. the hodinkee crowd would eat that ship up if it was a hodinkee LE.

but that narrow audience only overlaps WISs a little bit. most of it is outside of the WIS sphere.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:07 pm

Mike Kobold found out the hard way that ignoring watch people and targeting trendy people with disposable income doesn't work in the long run.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:11 pm

i'm not sure that's the only thing that torpedoed Kobold. that whole "customer service" thing has bitten him pretty hard.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:12 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:07 pm
Mike Kobold found out the hard way that ignoring watch people and targeting trendy people with disposable income doesn't work in the long run.
Yes he has :naughty:

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:23 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 7:40 pm
hoppyjr wrote:^ I like that Longines, but they messed it up with the date window.
Longines (and Hamilton) employs a guy whose only job is to fuck up watches with stupid date windows.
So true.

But I'd still love to get a Avigation type A7 even though it has a date.

They did do the Longines Istituto R. Marina re-issue without a date which is another watch I'd love to own being a sucker for that art-deco style dial, so we know they're capable of doing modern watches without it. Not sure what gives ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

For some reason Longines is still low on my list even though I love some. Unfortunately it's one of those brands where I'd scoop up a ND diver, grey market A7, and maybe a couple others the first day my first lottery check arrived just for fun. In other words never gonna happen.

poppydog
aka Nelldog

Post by poppydog » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:00 pm

If I had the cash at the point I got 'invited' (unlikely) I'd definitely have one: I'd be a little wary of an original issued piece simply because I'd want to wear it as I do my other watches, so a new one would suit me perfectly. Who knows, perhaps it might be my retirement gift to myself in a couple of years.
Regards

Steve

Cal59

Post by Cal59 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:24 am

[/quote]

Don, I actually do wish you the best of luck. If your sole goal was to revive the brand, then congratulations in achieving your objective.

Over the last 6 months we've seen a variety of innovative ways to bring a new (or in your case, revived) brand to market. Monta chose to become the darling of the blogger Red Bar community and market themselves as kind of the "premium brand for enthusiasts in the know". They've seemed to struggle a bit as it seems there simply aren't enough enthusiasts willing to pay a premium for an unknown brand.

Vertex is the first I've heard of selecting specific customers through invite and then allowing those customers to invite the next layer of customer and so on. While it seems a rather engineered, almost pyramid strategy, if nothing else it is an interesting social experiment. If it allows Vertex to remain a viable watch company into the future, fantastic, but I have my doubts. Again, I hope you can prove me wrong with your next release.

The sales strategy seems to play on the pull of "you can't have it", but with the reality of the M100 being of a fairly common style, I guess I'd vote with my wallet for a similarly styled Longines or maybe the Tudor BBH 41. At least with those choices, for the same investment, I'd have confidence in the long-term support of a recognized brand.
[/quote]

Thank for the feed back, it's worked well so far, they certainly seem to be selling. After the M100 there will I hope be a chance to try and bring Vertex to a larger audience at some different price points.

Cal59

Post by Cal59 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:25 am

poppydog wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:00 pm
If I had the cash at the point I got 'invited' (unlikely) I'd definitely have one: I'd be a little wary of an original issued piece simply because I'd want to wear it as I do my other watches, so a new one would suit me perfectly. Who knows, perhaps it might be my retirement gift to myself in a couple of years.
Thats good to hear Steve, I hope we will get the chance to show you one in the flesh at some point. Where are you based?

poppydog
aka Nelldog

Post by poppydog » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:40 pm

Cal59 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:25 am
poppydog wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:00 pm
Thats good to hear Steve, I hope we will get the chance to show you one in the flesh at some point. Where are you based?
Norfolk UK
Regards

Steve

malikknows

Post by malikknows » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:24 pm

CGSshorty wrote:Mike Kobold found out the hard way that ignoring watch people and targeting trendy people with disposable income doesn't work in the long run.
I was thinking the same thing re Kobold. Both are very overpriced for what they are. And all this "clever" marketing is a distinct turn off for me. I'll never buy either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:32 am

Interesting sales model, but making a new product difficult to get isn't very appealing in the long run. Unless of course your product has been endlessly hyped by the press. Like a Hermes Kelly Bag.

I suppose a somewhat similar model worked for a number of years for Yao, but it appears he's losing his cachet and his days are numbered.
only accurate watches are interesting

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Vertex Watches M100

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:37 pm

I just found some new photos of this one. I think it’s a fantastic looking watch.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:52 pm

It is attractive, but I am still not convinced it'll work at the current price point. The casework is pretty basic, albeit well done based on the pics. I won't be surprised to see a Monta style price reduction along with a public offering in a couple months. Personally, a Monta Triumph seems like a way better value proposition from a financial and aesthetic point.