Canvas strap w/curved lugs?

Discussion of straps and bracelets.
sierra11b
Name: Eric

Canvas strap w/curved lugs?

Post by sierra11b » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:17 pm

Does anyone make them or produce them?

Would love to get an OD Green Canvas with orange thread for the MBII.

nweash
Name: Nick

Re: Canvas strap w/curved lugs?

Post by nweash » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:31 pm

Well if the obvious two don't do it,
I would hit up John from dangerous9. I feel like if anyone does it, he does.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:33 pm

Wouldn't the knurl just destroy the canvas?

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:35 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:33 pm
Hence me wanting a curved end on the strap. I'm sure some would clear but I've become used to the curved look on this watch anyway.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:57 pm

sierra11b wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:35 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
Hence me wanting a curved end on the strap. I'm sure some would clear but I've become used to the curved look on this watch anyway.
Unless the curved strap is perfectly stationary, it will wear even worse - it seems. Mayne it could be backed with leather for a more durable solution.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:23 pm

I think you're not getting how the curved end with curved spring bars works.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:37 pm

I use curved spring bars with a Drew canvas on my Alpina. It helps with clearance issues, but it certainly doesn't put an obvious curve in the strap.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:59 pm

Canvas is soft at the lugs. I used a couple of mine with curved lugs on Alpina and another watch but the straps will still rotate. You're probably talking about like SEL that doesn't rotate

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:05 pm

Right.

Basically like the oem bremont straps with the fixed curved ends which keeps the spring bar fixed.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:29 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:59 pm
Canvas is soft at the lugs. I used a couple of mine with curved lugs on Alpina and another watch but the straps will still rotate. You're probably talking about like SEL that doesn't rotate
Hm, sounds familiar
JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:57 pm
sierra11b wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:35 pm
JP Chestnut wrote:
Unless the curved strap is perfectly stationary, it will wear even worse - it seems. Mayne it could be backed with leather for a more durable solution.
sierra11b wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:23 pm
I think you're not getting how the curved end with curved spring bars works.
Well, one of us didn't get it. If you bolster the canvas with leather, it might remove the issue that Art and I mentioned. Or not.

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:33 pm

I get canvas by itself is flimsy. I thought it was implied being a Bremont with a knurled barrel, because the watch comes with curved bars and strap ends, and that Bremont only sells dozens-upon-dozens of curved end straps for this reason. Others in this thread seemed to be tracking. Bremont offers a Kevlar strap with curved ends but not in a pattern I want.

I don't care If a strap maker uses hardened whale sperm or a curved polymer insert in the canvas fold to get the desired effect. My question is who.

james80
Name: James

Post by james80 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:04 am

sierra11b wrote:I get canvas by itself is flimsy. I thought it was implied being a Bremont with a knurled barrel, because the watch comes with curved bars and strap ends, and that Bremont only sells dozens-upon-dozens of curved end straps for this reason. Others in this thread seemed to be tracking. Bremont offers a Kevlar strap with curved ends but not in a pattern I want.

I don't care If a strap maker uses hardened whale sperm or a curved polymer insert in the canvas fold to get the desired effect. My question is who.
Does whale sperm get hard? If so in water or only when exposed to air? Also would hardness be affected by how it was cured and would it rub/flake off the canvas if the canvas rubbed against the knurled portion of the case?

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:43 am

sierra11b wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:33 pm
I get canvas by itself is flimsy. I thought it was implied being a Bremont with a knurled barrel, because the watch comes with curved bars and strap ends, and that Bremont only sells dozens-upon-dozens of curved end straps for this reason. Others in this thread seemed to be tracking. Bremont offers a Kevlar strap with curved ends but not in a pattern I want.

Maybe they can slice a piece of a broken Global knife off and insert it into the end? That may help?

sierra11b

Post by sierra11b » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:58 pm

andrema wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:43 am
sierra11b wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:33 pm

Maybe they can slice a piece of a broken Global knife off and insert it into the end? That may help?
No thanks. Wouldn't want to bring down the quality of a custom strap by introducing garbage.