Opinions please, going to buy a new sinn u1.

Discussion of Sinn watches.
Amrtag
Name: Amr

Post by Amrtag » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:56 am

Hello sinn fans
I am going to buy a new sinn u1 but i am afraid of few things and need opinions from previous owners please
1-i have read some review saying that the crown stem of the u1 feels somehow thin and fragile when the crown is in the unscrewed position..it is not relying on a thick crown tube as tough divers....here is a link to one of the reviews
Sinn U1 Tegimented Diving Watch Review | aBlogtoWatch

Here is another review
http://www.horobox.com/en/review-det...nted-Bezel&P=1

2-some members here found that the crown doesn't pop out when he unscrew it (the spring doesn't pop it out)which lead to changing the date by mistake if he wants to manually wind the movement.

3-few are complaing from the anti reflective coating that got scratched easily after few months specially with the owners who wears it for long time in all activities.

4-the play in the bezel ..but i think this is due to the design wise of this bezel to take out any dust or sand entering the mechanism..so i have no worry about this bezel play..

So please i need honest opinions from previous owners ...
Last edited by amr ashraf; 1 Minute Ago at 10:45.
Edit / Delete Edit Post Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message
Advertisement

dnslater
Name: Nick

Re: Opinions please, going to buy a new sinn u1.

Post by dnslater » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:32 am

There are dozens and dozens of online reviews of the U1. Do your research - the info is out there. Most see it as one of the ultimate tool watches. The watch is legendary and universally regarded as being bulletproof - so don't obsess about a single comment on a single review.

AR coating has been much discussed. It does scratch easier then uncoated sapphire. I removed mine. There are tutorials about his online.

Bezel is 60 click I believe and those tend to have more play, but the bezel action is solid and it is more firmly attached than most dive bezels as Sinn uses a unique system.

From your posts on this forum so far, perhaps you would be better suited to buying new at a store where you can try the watch.

Amrtag

Post by Amrtag » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:58 am

dnslater wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:32 am
There are dozens and dozens of online reviews of the U1. Do your research - the info is out there. Most see it as one of the ultimate tool watches. The watch is legendary and universally regarded as being bulletproof - so don't obsess about a single comment on a single review.

AR coating has been much discussed. It does scratch easier then uncoated sapphire. I removed mine. There are tutorials about his online.

Bezel is 60 click I believe and those tend to have more play, but the bezel action is solid and it is more firmly attached than most dive bezels as Sinn uses a unique system.

From your posts on this forum so far, perhaps you would be better suited to buying new at a store where you can try the watch.

So do you find the crown stem of your u1 a tough thick one when you unscrewed it?

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:01 am

Amrtag wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:58 am
So do you find the crown stem of your u1 a tough thick one when you unscrewed it?
I always find my stem a "tough thick".

Amrtag

Post by Amrtag » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:09 am

dnslater wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:01 am
Amrtag wrote:
Thanks mate 😊

james80
Name: James

Post by james80 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:13 am

dnslater wrote:
Amrtag wrote:
But does it spring out and feel firm or is it limp and wonky?

Amrtag

Post by Amrtag » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:46 am

james80 wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:13 am
dnslater wrote:
Amrtag wrote:
I have seen many users said that it doesn't spring out every time and you have to pull it after unscrewing.

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:00 am

I haven't heard of crown issues with the U1 crown, nor have I experienced them on any of the U series watches I've owned.

The AR stands up fine to regular use. No AR will stand up to abuse.

Save yourself money and buy one used. Don't deal with the tards at watchbuys. If buying new, find one overseas and import. It'll be cheaper most of the time.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Amrtag

Post by Amrtag » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:21 am

I contacted sinn and they told me they can offer me the u1 without the AR coating but with extra charge.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:35 am

So, when I answered your question in the other thread that was insufficient?

Stick to reps.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:43 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:35 am

Stick to reps.
What's the story with this guy and fakes?

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:54 am

as a previous owner
* bezel had a tiny bit of play - not a deal breaker by any stretch
* AR - it is what it is - not exclusive to the U1 - if I got another I would remove it (ymmv)
* don't recall any crown issues

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:01 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:

Stick to reps.
What's the story with this guy and fakes?
No idea. Reps are cheaper and would seem to be his style. Miss Cleo told me during my last reading.

james80
Name: James

Post by james80 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:15 am

Amrtag wrote:
james80 wrote:
dnslater wrote:
Amrtag wrote:
I have seen many users said that it doesn't spring out every time and you have to pull it after unscrewing.
They sell tablets for that.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:22 am

james80 wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:15 am
Amrtag wrote:
james80 wrote:
dnslater wrote:
Amrtag wrote:
They sell tablets for that.
I'm not really worried about spring after unscrewing. Before is the important measure.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:59 am

My brother bought a U1 after only owning Seamaster and Subs. He said the crown was not what he wanted it to be. When I checked it out it felt fine. Years later I started buying Tudor subs. I totally understood what he meant- nothing against the U1 but a Rolex trip-lock is the best feeling crown out there.

Buy a used one. That's cool that Sinn offers them with no AR on the outside. My opinion they should be made that way and it should be cheaper since they only have one side application.

My opinion on the U1:
Great, classic and tough watch.
Bezel is 60 click and not a great action, but functional.
Lume is ok, not very bright but gets the job done.
I love the dial, don't love the hands.
For being a pretty heavy watch, it sits well on the wrist because it's fairly flat. I would make sure I bought a bracelet with it.
Crown- not a trip-lock but it works well. Never heard of crown issues with the U1.

Big Sinn fan, but also a Seiko fan.

You can always try this-

DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

hidden by leaves
Name: Anthony

Post by hidden by leaves » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:00 am

hoppyjr wrote:

Stick to reps.
Here or one of the 10 threads the guy has running on WUS with the same repetitive questions?
Send lawyers, guns and money...

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:01 am

BBK357 wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:59 am
My brother bought a U1 after only owning Seamaster and Subs. He said the crown was not what he wanted it to be. When I checked it out it felt fine. Years later I started buying Tudor subs. I totally understood what he meant- nothing against the U1 but a Rolex trip-lock is the best feeling crown out there.

Buy a used one. That's cool that Sinn offers them with no AR on the outside. My opinion they should be made that way and it should be cheaper since they only have one side application.

My opinion on the U1:
For being a pretty heavy watch, it sits well on the wrist because it's fairly flat. I would make sure I bought a bracelet with it.
Crown- not a trip-lock but it works well. Never heard of crown issues with the U1.

You can always try this-

I've never experienced a watch with a crown as nice as a Rolex trip. Omega, Sinn, Seiko, IWC - not even close. My Tuna has easily the worse crown action, but who cares? I don't buy watches to play with the crown.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:10 am

hidden by leaves wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:

Stick to reps.
Here or one of the 10 threads the guy has running on WUS with the same repetitive questions?

Exactly. He's either a bobble head or he's 12 years old.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:21 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
BBK357 wrote:

My opinion on the U1:

You can always try this-

I've never experienced a watch with a crown as nice as a Rolex trip. Omega, Sinn, Seiko, IWC - not even close. My Tuna has easily the worse crown action, but who cares? I don't buy watches to play with the crown.

The 300m quartz Tuna crowns are nothing to boast about that's for sure.

The Darth as pictured- has an excellent crown. And soon I'll be able to tell you about the Emperor crown.... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by BBK357 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
DEATH FROM ABOVE

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:22 am

BBK357 wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:21 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
BBK357 wrote:

My opinion on the U1:

You can always try this-

The Darth as pictured- had an excellent crown. And soon I'll be able to tell you about the Emperor crown.... :)

I still have your old blue Tuna and I've been trying to find a strap I like more than the stock one, and I can't find anything even close to it. It is so damn comfortable. I need to figure out how to buy spares.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:26 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
BBK357 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
BBK357 wrote:

My opinion on the U1:

You can always try this-

The Darth as pictured- had an excellent crown. And soon I'll be able to tell you about the Emperor crown.... :)

I still have your old blue Tuna and I've been trying to find a strap I like more than the stock one, and I can't find anything even close to it. It is so damn comfortable. I need to figure out how to buy spares.

I agree- except for the keeper. It always slides down and doesn't stay in place.
I don't have a new style Tuna anymore but I still have the strap. I was wearing it in my beater 015.
DEATH FROM ABOVE

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:29 am

BBK357 wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:26 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
BBK357 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
BBK357 wrote:

My opinion on the U1:

You can always try this-

I agree- except for the keeper. It always slides down and doesn't stay in place.
I don't have a new style Tuna anymore but I still have the strap. I was wearing it in my beater 015.
I'm hoping that the keeper would stop moving if I cut the tail to fit my wrist. I haven't had the nerve to do it, without a replacement handy.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:31 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
BBK357 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
BBK357 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
BBK357 wrote:

My opinion on the U1:

You can always try this-

I'm hoping that the keeper would stop moving if I cut the tail to fit my wrist. I haven't had the nerve to do it, without a replacement handy.

Not sure if that'll work.

I've thought about just taking it off and using a Seiko rubber keeper.
DEATH FROM ABOVE

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:33 am

BBK357 wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:31 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
BBK357 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
BBK357 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
BBK357 wrote:

My opinion on the U1:

You can always try this-

Not sure if that'll work.

I've thought about just taking it off and using a Seiko rubber keeper.
I've tried a few rubber keeper straps and the keeper seems to dig into my wrist underneath the strap. At least the metal one is thin. I guess you could always dap a little epoxy on the underside to anchor the keeper.