Ginault Ocean Rover Thoughts and Comparisons

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Limeybastard

Re: Ginault Ocean Rover Thoughts and Comparisons

Post by Limeybastard » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:34 am

Least it doesnt state 3000metres on the dial .

Tallguy
Name: Steve-0-reeno

Ginault Ocean Rover Thoughts and Comparisons

Post by Tallguy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:01 pm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by Tallguy on Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

5661nicholas
Name: nick

Post by 5661nicholas » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:12 pm

I saw over on WUS that they have already changed the case back saying "made in the USA"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:19 pm

5661nicholas wrote:I saw over on WUS that they have already changed the case back saying "made in the USA"

#THANKSTRUMP

dinexus
Name: Zach

Post by dinexus » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:57 pm

"Hand built in America." They DO realize there's technically more than one "America," right? I also can't stand all the asinine descriptors at 6:00, as though someone just threw a thesaurus at everything on a Submariner's dial and called it good.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:36 am

dinexus wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:57 pm
"Hand built in America." They DO realize there's technically more than one "America," right? I also can't stand all the asinine descriptors at 6:00, as though someone just threw a thesaurus at everything on a Submariner's dial and called it good.
They probably absolutely realize it, as this vagueness allows them to make the claim given that they likely don't qualify for "Made in USA".

As far as the 6:00, I agree with you but Rolex is just as bad, and they are trying to "homage" Rolex.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:56 am

Terms such as "hand built" or "assembled" allow for the use of imported components. "Made in the USA" is a protected term requiring no (or very minimal) imported parts.

I agree on the text, but it such small print it kind of blends in. Macro shots accentuate it beyond what I see in normal wear.

That said, I'd be just as happy to have Ginault delete the bottom two lines. Just model name and depth rating are needed to balance the brand and logo.

5661nicholas

Post by 5661nicholas » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:15 am

I owned one and sold it so I figured I would chime in. It is extremely well built, dial is amongst the best I have seen. Piss lume, while not for everyone, is well executed, and the "sand" gives it a regal and unique look, was bright and long lasting. All machining on case and bracelet show very tight tolerances. It kept time at +5 spd, and once the bezel broke in it functioned beautifully. From a build quality and components standpoint, it surpassed all micros I have owned. At this point you might be thinking "why the hell did you sell it?"

These comments are not meant as a knock on any owners, and simply reflect my feelings. I wasn't comfortable wearing it, felt like a fake vs. homage. Many people (non wis) mistake various watches for a sub all the time, but 2 people said to me "nice Rolex". It made me feel like a poser.

To me, it comes across to close as a replica vs. a homage.....a fine line. I hope to see the company put this quality into a more unique design, because the attention to detail is really there.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:36 am

Different strokes for different folks. I 100% agree the build quality is there and style is subjective. Some love Sub homages, some can't stand them.

As an aside, only 2 watches have ever brought me unsolicited comments - my yellow Seiko BFK and my MM300. I guess I don't come across as approachable :shrug:

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Re: RE: Re: Ginault Ocean Rover Thoughts and Comparisons

Post by streetracer101 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:06 am

Ryeguy wrote:Different strokes for different folks. I 100% agree the build quality is there and style is subjective. Some love Sub homages, some can't stand them.

As an aside, only 2 watches have ever brought me unsolicited comments - my yellow Seiko BFK and my MM300. I guess I don't come across as approachable :shrug:
You must be in the real life BOD.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Re: RE: Re: Ginault Ocean Rover Thoughts and Comparisons

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:08 am

streetracer101 wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:06 am
Ryeguy wrote:Different strokes for different folks. I 100% agree the build quality is there and style is subjective. Some love Sub homages, some can't stand them.

I've never once had a random person talk to me about a watch outside of a watch salesman. Surprisingly, I come off as unfriendly in person.

streetracer101

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Ginault Ocean Rover Thoughts and Comparisons

Post by streetracer101 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:14 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:

I've never once had a random person talk to me about a watch outside of a watch salesman. Surprisingly, I come off as unfriendly in person.
No way. Mind blown.

In all fairness, very few people notice my watches and the ones who do are usually douchebags who notice my SDc and comment they also have a Rolex.

JP Chestnut

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Ginault Ocean Rover Thoughts and Comparisons

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:18 am

streetracer101 wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:14 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:

No way. Mind blown.

In all fairness, very few people notice my watches and the ones who do are usually douchebags who notice my SDc and comment they also have a Rolex.

I've actually had a few students talk to me about my watches. One guy was a budding WIS and noticed that I had a large rotation of watches. I think the MBA guys tend to notice but not acknowledge since that's "beta".

streetracer101

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Ginault Ocean Rover Thoughts and Comparisons

Post by streetracer101 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:20 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:

No way. Mind blown.

I've actually had a few students talk to me about my watches. One guy was a budding WIS and noticed that I had a large rotation of watches. I think the MBA guys tend to notice but not acknowledge since that's "beta".
I don't know how you guys maintain sanity in the higher education environment.

JP Chestnut

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Ginault Ocean Rover Thoughts and Comparisons

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:22 am

streetracer101 wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:20 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:

No way. Mind blown.

I don't know how you guys maintain sanity in the higher education environment.

B School is pretty different. You don't go here if your primary goal is making the world a better place.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:54 am

i have people ask what watch i'm wearing, but they're mostly coworkers i see in other offices when i'm traveling who happen to follow me on instagram. random people? almost never.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:27 am

Most people I work with are more keen on what abbreviations they have below their name in their signature block than watches.

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:34 am

The only time a stranger asked me about my watch he was looking for a Rolex to steal. I had a Seiko SKX173 on that night.
only accurate watches are interesting

Axelay2003
Name: Gerard

Post by Axelay2003 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:29 am

I received my package yesterday and just opened it about an hour ago. First impression; DAMN! I'm all about details and like Don mentioned in his written and video review, the quality is "crazy good". As a matter of fact for a start up Micro, it's pretty scary. I agree with Don as it being the best homage out there. I also agree with Andrea's thoughts and really why I purchased this watch.
It's a beautiful world! Gerald.

alund
Name: Alan

Post by alund » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:16 am

I wouldn't mind one as I do like it alot but I just can't bring myself to paying the current non-review price. Who knows if I keep seeing all these comments on it I may change my mind.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:23 am

I can appreciate the quality/details everyone mentions regarding this watch. Now if only they could do it on a design of their own. And if they were original an replica manufacture, I am sure they had all of these details worked out a long time ago.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:27 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:23 am
I can appreciate the quality/details everyone mentions regarding this watch. Now if only they could do it on a design of their own. And if they were original an replica manufacture, I am sure they had all of these details worked out a long time ago.
Glad you said it - "it's almost like they've been producing a watch that looks like a Rolex for years."

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:34 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:27 am
toxicavenger wrote:
Glad you said it - "it's almost like they've been producing a watch that looks like a Rolex for years."
I just don't want to come off for being a homage hater since I was a Marcello C guy for a lot of years. And I got crap about it all the time. So I understand the discussion regarding the line of being a replica. And unfortunately this watch mimics every design feature of the Rolex except for the magic sand lume. And this didn't happen over night.

This isn't to say I hate on the people who buy it. But personally for me it is like buying a 6159/6105/6309/Tuna replica's (homages).

5661nicholas

Post by 5661nicholas » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:40 am

toxicavenger wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:27 am
toxicavenger wrote:
I just don't want to come off for being a homage hater since I was a Marcello C guy for a lot of years. And I got crap about it all the time. So I understand the discussion regarding the line of being a replica. And unfortunately this watch mimics every design feature of the Rolex except for the magic sand lume. And this didn't happen over night.

This isn't to say I hate on the people who buy it. But personally for me it is like buying a 6159/6105/6309/Tuna replica's (homages).
I'm in the same camp, by no stretch a homage hater, have owned many and will own more.

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:46 am

If they have a success on their hands, and it seems like they do, a less contentious model should be a no-brainer for them.
only accurate watches are interesting