OLED

Get your nerd on.
BlueSky
Name: David

OLED

Post by BlueSky » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:31 pm

Any of you guys made the leap to OLED? My old Pioneer Elite (eight blue blinking lights and other issues) is dying a slow death. Bought it in 2007 (940 HD). I've managed to keep it going, somewhat. Anyway, ordered a LG B6 today.

Looking forward to it. Missed out on buying the best plasmas before their demise and damn glad I did. If you have not seen these LGs, you should. Your local BB has one on display and it's playing a 4K HDR loop that looks fantastic. Of course, nothing will look like that demo on cable or any source that you normally use.

Still, it's the first display that actually competes with plasma and wins. Not to mention, without the heat and power drain. LCD/LED have never worked for me, for a number of reasons. Viewing angle being the major culprit. Samsung's QLED is coming out in March and I'm sure it's good stuff, just not for me.

Internet reviews are what they are, but damn, LG OLED reviews are pretty much spectacular.

It's just money right? Now, I have to update my old trusty Marantz SR7001. Could have bought a very nice 2500-3000 dollar watch. Geesh......... :banghead:

Panerai7
Name: Art

Re: OLED

Post by Panerai7 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:46 pm

I've seen LG OLED at Bestbuy, it really is impressive

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!

Post by 59yukon01 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:59 pm

Just an fyi, but don't be fooled by Bestbuy's display models. They purposely tweak the best picture on the models they push, and not so much on others. I've had a Vizio HD 60" M series for a almost 3 years now, and at the time had the best picture I'd seen, and I'd compared it to a highly rated Panasonic Plasma at the time. Can't remember the model. I can view it at a 45 degree angle with no picture degradation. Don't pay extra for any calibration they may try to sell you either.

nweash
Name: Nick

Post by nweash » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:33 pm

I'm still on a 1080p DLP 3D projector. At 103" nothing can make me go back to flat screens.

I won't upgrade until 4k projectors get sub 3 grand.

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:56 pm

I'm waiting for OLEDs to come down in price. Hopefully my Panasonic plasma will last me until they do. The only thing I don't like about plasma is power consumption. I don't watch TV during daylight hours, so plasma is plenty bright.

raf42
Fister
Name: Rob

Post by raf42 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:04 am

I've always been a bit of an A/V nut,and somewhat obsessed with picture quality.

Have a 55" 4K LG OLED and also an (very old now) 60" Pioneer Kuro plasma, which was the king of picture quality for a long time (and still looks good). OLED is awesome. When the Kuro finally fades, no question, OLED will replace it, maybe even before.

Agree about LED, they can look quite good under many environments, but blooming, horrible off angle viewing,and no true black in a darker room are issues for some people. OLED can't be beat due to incredible contrast. If adjusted properly, IMHO, nothing compares. That said, except for viewing angle, a good LED will be ok if you are not that picky. Though even my wife, who is the last person on earth to care about picture quality, thinks the OLED has a spectacular picture.

Friend of mine just got a 65" LG 4K OLED for well under 3K. Looks fantastic. Still real expensive compared to LED, though not compared to the Sony QLED mentioned. So for the price of a Pelagos, you can get a nice OLED ;)

One downside to OLED is if the source is shitty or marginal (like compression artifacts), it magnifies it a bit since it's so good. And content with poorly mastered black levels is magnified since before there was never really anything that could display near black as exactly. That can somewhat be helped by adjustment and crushing black a bit on such content.

OLED is not perfect, and there were uniformity issues in some of the earlier LG models and sort of a "panel lottery". That was much improved in the 2016 models and supposedly the 2017 are even better. Mine is a 2015, but I got lucky with one pretty close to perfect. I went with Best buy due to the ease of return or replacement during the first few weeks if there was any kind of issue (which there was not)

If you are looking for a TV with an exceptional picture, I'd certainly take a hard look at an LG OLED.

RALAustin
Name: Rob

Post by RALAustin » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:36 am

I bought a 55 LG OLED a couple weeks ago and absolutely love it. Our living room has a small niche for the tv so we have made do with smaller tvs for years (42 the last 8 years or so), but I finally broke down and figured out how to get an extending arm in there and give us a little more room outside the niche for a bigger tv. It figure that I buy a tv every 7 or 8 years so was fine with the cost, especially given what I have spent on watches over the last 7 or 8 years!

BlueSky

Post by BlueSky » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:49 am

Got my 55 B from Chris @ Cleveland Plasma. If you frequent the AVS forum, he is well regarded. Give him a shout and I think you will be pleased.

The 55 ships double boxed FedEx. Not sure about the 65, but it's not FedEx.

Thanks for the post Raf. Glad to hear your impressions. Yes, the Kuro was and still is, to some, the benchmark. I may have inadvertently fixed my issue last night with a long press on the standby/on button on the side. Just my luck after dropping some major dollars.

Now I've got to get a new Marantz. At least the speakers don't have to be upgraded.

BlueSky

Post by BlueSky » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:14 pm

After some time with it, it's clearly superior to the Pioneers.

I'm fooling around now to see if I want to buy a new receiver. Replacing a damn fine SR7001, with something more current. This hobby is still less expensive than watches.

OLED + New receiver = less than your newest watch.

foodle

Post by foodle » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:48 pm

I'm going to give OLEDs one more season to come down in price some. Plus, I'm in no hurry to go to 4k, since I don't have many 4k sources at this point. Once I get an XB1 Scorpio (or maybe PS4 Pro), I'll make the jump to 4k.