Gavox Avidiver Mini Review

Watch review archives can be found here.
59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:18 pm

I first found out about this watch from a DWC post. At the time I found myself drawn to compressor style watches, as well as pilot watches, neither of which I had. The Avidiver really intrigued me as obviously it’s a hybrid of both. Another aspect of this watch I liked was it’s one I rarely see posted anywhere. It’s different and unique, and after having it for several weeks, just plain fun. There are 6 color/case combos, but I chose to go with the black dial & PVD case as I like the all black tactical look. I managed to take advantage of a 20% off sale they had at the time, which made the price acceptable. Also buyers in the US do not have to pay the 21% VAT tax.

Gavox Avidiver - Time 2 Give
http://time2give.be/index.php?id_catego ... &id_lang=1

Specifications:

• Automatic Movement Miyota 9015
• Surgical 316L stainless steel case (PVD Steel of black)
• Case diameter: 43mm
• Case Length (Lug to Lug): 50.8mm
• Case thickness: 12.8 mm
• Between lug (Strap Size): 22mm
• Date display at 4 O’clock
• Screw down Crown for bezel and movement
• 4 layer sandwich structure dial
• Crystal: Double domed Sapphire with bottom antireflection layer
• Luminescent hands and dial (Superluminova BW-G9 (for Black and Blue) C3 (For White)
• Internal Turning Bezel (Triangle use as a reference marker) Can be used as Chronograph, Timer, Zulu Time.
• Marker can be used as a minute or hour chronograph timer gold
• Unique serial number
• Gavox molded silicone strap
• Water resistant: 20 ATM (600 feet)

Packaging:

The watch comes packaged in a cool wooden box, with a leather latch. Also included was warranty card and manual. Personally not really into packaging as it’s just something else taking up drawer space, so that’s about it.

Out of the box impressions:

I loved it immediately. I knew for me this was going to be a fun watch to wear, especially with two of Art’s canvas straps I already had, along with Terry’s BLACKout Natos. The size was perfect for my 7” flat wrist, and if the specs are correct, I feel it wears smaller than they would suggest. I’m sure the fact it wears smaller has something to do with it being all black as well.

Case:

Finishing on the case appears to be good, with vertical brushing on the sides. Lugs curve down and hug the wrist, which is another factor in it wearing smaller. Another advantage is the two sets of lugs holes. The ones closest to the end are used for the custom fitted strap. The 2nd sets are slightly closer to the case, which I’m currently using for canvas and Natos. It’s a nice, well thought out, extra attention to detail. The dual crowns both screw down, but are on the smaller side. Both are protected by crown guards, which I feel still gives it that diver look. The lower signed crown controls the movement, and the upper, (marked by an orange triangle), controls the rotating orange triangle. I’ve read setting the date was a little tricky, and I did experience that the first time, but worked fine the next time. Maybe initially it was a little stiff at first.

These pictures from the Gavox site.

Dial & Hands:

More on the upper crown first. As mentioned it controls the rotating triangle, so there is no rotating bezel. This can be used to track both a 2nd time zone, or set for elapsed time as you would a dive bezel. It’s a unique feature, and one I’ve not seen on another watch anyway. Once the triangle is positioned, and the crown is screwed down it does not move at all. The triangle is also lumed, which shows up great. I really like this dial and its 4 layer sandwich construction. The dial definitely comes off with the pilot vibe with large 3, 6, & 9 numerals, and the white roman sword style hands, both of which makes it highly legible. The sandwich dial also makes the lume show up very sharp and even. The date is at the 4 position, and to me isn’t very noticeable, so it doesn’t distract from the balance of the dial. The text on the dial is minimal with the Gavox logo above the hands, and the word Automatic followed by 20ATM. Automatic is in cursive much like on the Sumo and Shogun, which I think is a nice touch. The second hand is tipped in orange, and the opposite end is in the shape of the Gavox logo. The one negative I have is that the orange tip is not lumed. Not sure why, as the orange triangle is, and would have been a perfect match to have done so.

Pic from the web.

Strap:

The strap is an extremely soft and comfortable silicon, that is custom fitted to the case, and has Gavox molded into it. Haven’t worn it much, but will probably do so in the summer for water activities. My PVD buckle is also engraved with the word Gavox.

Movement:

The watch uses the reliable and popular Miyota 9015 movement. I won’t go into detail as this is the first one I’ve had, but the second hand sweep is very smooth, and mine is currently running a very acceptable -3 to -4 s/d on wrist since I’ve had it. Also worth mentioning is the case comes with a sapphire caseback , if one likes to view the engraved movement. Personally for me on a diver, this is an extra cost I could have done without.

Conclusion:

I love this watch! It’s a very different look, and fun to wear. It may not be for everybody, but for me personally, it’s a welcome change of pace from what seems like an endless sea of homages being produced by micro brands today.

:cheers:

David
Last edited by 59yukon01 on Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 6 times in total.

james80
Name: James

Re: Gavox Avidiver Mini Review

Post by james80 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:19 pm

Where

Are

The

Pictures

?????

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:21 pm

Nice review, David. But yes - pics!
- Todd

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!

Post by 59yukon01 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:21 pm

james80 wrote:Where

Are

The

Pictures

?????
They are being added. but having Tapadumbdumb issues.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:40 pm

Good looking watch!

I think the inner triangle works the same as most internal bezels on dive watches (except the Aquatimer's which remains water resistant without screw down), but I agree with you that it is a very handy feature, and a lot more fun to use than a standard rotating outer bezel.
:htfu:

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:00 pm

well conceived and well executed review. thanks for sharing

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!

Post by 59yukon01 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:55 pm

Chocodove wrote:Nice review, David. But yes - pics!
matt.wu wrote:Good looking watch!

I think the inner triangle works the same as most internal bezels on dive watches (except the Aquatimer's which remains water resistant without screw down), but I agree with you that it is a very handy feature, and a lot more fun to use than a standard rotating outer bezel.
rockmastermike wrote:well conceived and well executed review. thanks for sharing
Thanks gentlemen! First review I've ever done, but felt compelled to do this one as there's few out there on the Avidiver. Sorry about the delay in getting pictures posted.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:22 am

Nice review Dave. Interesting watch for sure :thumbsup:

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:37 am

Beautiful watch and great review!!! I like everything that Gavox puts out, maybe one day this version will be on my wrist.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!

Post by 59yukon01 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:56 am

Panerai7 wrote:Nice review Dave. Interesting watch for sure :thumbsup:
toxicavenger wrote:Beautiful watch and great review!!! I like everything that Gavox puts out, maybe one day this version will be on my wrist.
Thanks guys!

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!

Post by 59yukon01 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:05 pm

matt.wu wrote:Good looking watch!

He explains it better. Accomplishes the same thing as a rotating bezel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDIvK9GNPzw

jaw

Post by jaw » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:41 pm

Nice review/watch. This could very well be my second Gavox one day. Thanks.

AZpops
Name: Lance

Post by AZpops » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:57 am

Nice review, David! Wouldn't have thought this was your first review. Great photos as well! ... :thumbsup:
Lance

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!

Post by 59yukon01 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:33 am

jaw wrote:Nice review/watch. This could very well be my second Gavox one day. Thanks.
AZpops wrote:Nice review, David! Wouldn't have thought this was your first review. Great photos as well! ... :thumbsup:
Thanks guys!

Wearing it today.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!

Post by 59yukon01 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:41 pm

^^^Yes that above picture, from the 10th I might add, looks just like the one in today's wruw thread. Hmmm wonder how it got there?

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:36 pm

59yukon01 wrote:^^^Yes that above picture, from the 10th I might add, looks just like the one in today's wruw thread. Hmmm wonder how it got there?
Did you reach out to them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!

Post by 59yukon01 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:29 pm

tattoo chef wrote:
59yukon01 wrote:^^^Yes that above picture, from the 10th I might add, looks just like the one in today's wruw thread. Hmmm wonder how it got there?

Not yet. He actually is the owner of Gavox, and I'm sure has plenty of these watches he could have used for pictures. He's told me he liked my pictures I posted on WUS, just didn't think he'd use them as his own.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:30 pm

59yukon01 wrote:
tattoo chef wrote:

Not yet. He actually is the owner of Gavox, and I'm sure has plenty of these watches he could have used for pictures. He's told me he liked my pictures I posted on WUS, just didn't think he'd use them as his own.
Yeah that is odd that way he did it. Plus the pics weren't that good either. :-) [PILE OF POO]

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!

Post by 59yukon01 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:51 am

Just got an email from Gavox and they are having a 14% off sale during the month of February. Also keep in mind US customers do not pay the 21% VAT tax shown on the website. Use coupon code "time2love" as the discount code.

Time2give webstore - Time 2 Give

hidden by leaves
Name: Anthony

Post by hidden by leaves » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:07 pm

Tempting! I've been looking at this piece (primarily due to your posts David) and really like the black/PVD. Don't have anything like that in my collection, and I like the design of this.
Send lawyers, guns and money...

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!

Re: RE: Re: Gavox Avidiver Mini Review

Post by 59yukon01 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:16 pm

hidden by leaves wrote:Tempting! I've been looking at this piece (primarily due to your posts David) and really like the black/PVD. Don't have anything like that in my collection, and I like the design of this.
Do it! The PVD is the best looking of the bunch I think, and I also like that it's different from most watches.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!

Post by 59yukon01 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:03 am

Got an email from Gavox today and thought this was worth bumping my thread for. Not an overly scientific test, Image but definitely shows the watch was built tough.

I am showing you a test I did a week ago in the Mediterranean Sea.

I wanted to check the maximum pressure needed to break my Gavox Avidiver watch.

For those who don't know. The Avidiver is a watch I created for pilots and divers.

This watch is graded for 200m / 600 feet / 20ATM

Experiment setup:

1 fishing pole
2 maximum fishing line for this rod ( 500m )
3 a Gavox Avidiver
4 a ship to bring me in high depth ( 1000m )
5 location: between Monaco and Corsica

After testing the watch at different depth for 10 minutes at 200m , 300m watches retuned in perfect shape and fully operational.

Then we decided to bring the watch as far as possible. And this was 490m ( 1470 feet) leaving 10m on the fishing rod for not losing the watch in the abyss

Once the bringing watch back after 30 minutes . Still no damage :-)

The Gavox Avidiver survived a pressure 2,5 time what is was made for Image🏼

Test successful
Cheers

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:12 am

^ that's cool. :fro:

manitoujoe
Name: Mark

Post by manitoujoe » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:53 pm

WHAT

That's very cool!!
Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:08 pm

That is cool and those spring bars must be made from bigfoot's left over bones.