ochs & junior buckle design

Discussion of straps and bracelets.
jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:05 am

was just reading up on their annual calendar and strap/buckle offerings and was intrigued by the buckle design, which allows the tail of the strap to be tucked underneath the twelve side a la the omega deployant. i must admit, i do find the solution "elegant" as they not so modestly boast in their own description. just wondering if anyone has tried one of these on, and if there was an earlier design precedent from any other brand?
the strap is sturgeon btw, which has its own proclaimed benefits, but my focus rests on the buckle for now.

Last edited by jtbenson on Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

aztecknight

Re: ochs & junior buckle design

Post by aztecknight » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:10 am

how would you tuck the strap under once you've tightened it? Seems like you would have to wear your watch loose. maybe i just don't understand it.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:17 am

aztecknight wrote:how would you tuck the strap under once you've tightened it? Seems like you would have to wear your watch loose. maybe i just don't understand it.
Agreed, you'd have to have it loose to account for the thickness of the flap being tucked in. Pretty buckle though

jtbenson

Post by jtbenson » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:19 am

aztecknight wrote:how would you tuck the strap under once you've tightened it? Seems like you would have to wear your watch loose. maybe i just don't understand it.
looks like the bar in the center of the buckle would allow for tensioning in the same fashion as a traditional tang buckle, but the extra space between the bar and the outer edge of the buckle allows you to tuck it up inside the strap after adjusting to the proper tension. requires no keepers and hides the tail. (cue the :gayumbrella: )

here's a further excerpt about it i found in one of their blog posts on the site:
Ludwig Oechslin’s special buckle for ochs und junior watches requires no loops. The tail of the strap is tucked inside against your wrist. The fit is extremely comfortable, and the part of the strap which receives the most stress is eliminated.

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:42 am

I have one designed now and will be getting one this year.

R@cerx
Name: David

Post by R@cerx » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:15 pm

andrema wrote:I have one designed now and will be getting one this year.
Which?

foodle

Post by foodle » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:25 pm

jtbenson wrote: looks like the bar in the center of the buckle would allow for tensioning in the same fashion as a traditional tang buckle, but the extra space between the bar and the outer edge of the buckle allows you to tuck it up inside the strap after adjusting to the proper tension. requires no keepers and hides the tail. (cue the :gayumbrella: )
Still doesn't answer how you generate the extra space between your wrist and the strap to tuck the tail in unless it is worn loose.

Also, from a comfort perspective, the side of the strap with the tail will be uneven on the inner surface. Doesn't sound more comfortable to me.
here's a further excerpt about it i found in one of their blog posts on the site:
Ludwig Oechslin’s special buckle for ochs und junior watches requires no loops. The tail of the strap is tucked inside against your wrist. The fit is extremely comfortable, and the part of the strap which receives the most stress is eliminated.
:scratch: I would think the area of most stress is where the tang/pin goes through the hole in the tail, as all of the stress is concentrated in that small area. It seems to me this buckle has the same stress point as a regular one. How is this better?

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:50 am

R@cerx wrote:
Which?
This oneImage

jtbenson

Post by jtbenson » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:06 am

cool mark. i'm seriously considering (continued) heavy consolidation over the coming year to simplify things with their perpetual

R@cerx
Name: David

Post by R@cerx » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:43 pm

andrema wrote:
R@cerx wrote:
Which?
This oneImage
Cool! I would a Date version.

greenlightning
The Dude
Name: Kris

Post by greenlightning » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:56 pm

That's bad ass Mark. Looking forward to seeing it. I would like to get one of their watches someday

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk