New Movements

Discussion of Ægir watches.

Moderator: t20569cald

t20569cald
Founder and Owner of Ægir Instruments

New Movements

Post by t20569cald » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:06 am

So I decided to use the new Sellita SW300-1 movement going forward.
Soprod are getting hard to deal with and i cant get an answer to an email for 6 months of trying. (I need 6 winding stems extra)
As an early adopter of the A10, I dont expect any special treatment, but I do expect an answer.
I had issues with Mhvj (sister movement company) and took them to task in a public manner, so I can only assume Soprod have declined to speak with me on that basis.

https://www.facebook.com/aegir.watches/ ... 13/?type=3

So I emailed Sellita about the new SW300-1 and they answered! They also have an option on their website to order any spares directly from there, so I decided to give them a go.
First impressions are basically the same as the A10 in terms of finishing and overall appearance, except I do like the free spinning rotor compared to the A10 that is a bit stiff.
The supplied screws that attached the movement to the movement ring are ''Blued'' which I have to say is a nice touch.

6 week lead time on a small order of 15 movements was great, but I did also start the same way with Soprod, when they had little business, so I will see how we go.

Overall, I think the SW300-1 will be equal to the A10 and ETA 2892, so nothing too far separating them. It was in fact more expensive than the A10, but again not by much so all things being fairly equal. It is a drop in replacement that seems just as nice, and smooth too, so I am happy to start building them into some CD-1 cases.
Rome wasn't built in a day, but i wasn't on that job!

http://www.aegirinstruments.com

mikeylacroix
Name: Mike

Re: New Movements

Post by mikeylacroix » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:33 am

The 300 is the bigger movement ya? Supposedly the 2892 competitor?

t20569cald

Post by t20569cald » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:38 am

mikeylacroix wrote:The 300 is the bigger movement ya? Supposedly the 2892 competitor?
Thats the one

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Post by Jeep99dad » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:43 am

But isn't he 2892 thinner than say 2824?
So bigger in diameter ? Thinner ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

t20569cald

Post by t20569cald » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:49 am

Jeep99dad wrote:But isn't he 2892 thinner than say 2824?
So bigger in diameter ? Thinner ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From memory (not cheating with Goggle) yes.
Same as the A10 as well

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:02 pm

Sounds great...thanks for the update.

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:43 pm

Now you went and did it. I had gotten over the last few times I passed up good deals on CD1/2's. Now I'm in want mode again.
The Hapa

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:31 pm

I need one of these.

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:14 pm

Glad to see this Todd. Are you moving ahead with a new diver anytime soon?

t20569cald

Post by t20569cald » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:15 pm

streetracer101 wrote:Glad to see this Todd. Are you moving ahead with a new diver anytime soon?
Trying, but I do not have the cash to do it anymore. The $AUD is like toilet paper.
I am trying something out, that may or may not work and be a new direction. I am making my first buckle on my cnc mill now and will be selling them in a few weeks time.
Once I have mastered 3 or 4 different style of buckles, I am going to make a case in-house.
That is the only way for Aegir Watches to work long term, so now is the time to try it.

I have 6 DLC cases and 7 SS ones, and once they are sold I do not plan to make more until I understand if it will work here or not.
Manufacturing here is costly, so I cant go the route of getting them done locally, but rather I have no choice but to make them myself.

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:21 pm

t20569cald wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:Glad to see this Todd. Are you moving ahead with a new diver anytime soon?
Trying, but I do not have the cash to do it anymore. The $AUD is like toilet paper.
I am trying something out, that may or may not work and be a new direction. I am making my first buckle on my cnc mill now and will be selling them in a few weeks time.
Once I have mastered 3 or 4 different style of buckles, I am going to make a case in-house.
That is the only way for Aegir Watches to work long term, so now is the time to try it.

I have 6 DLC cases and 7 SS ones, and once they are sold I do not plan to make more until I understand if it will work here or not.
Manufacturing here is costly, so I cant go the route of getting them done locally, but rather I have no choice but to make them myself.
You're an ambitious man. I'm interested in a buckle when available. I hope the cases pan out too. I don't think any small(ish) companies are turning their own cases. What kind of mill did you get?

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:41 pm

I can't wait to see the buckles, Todd. Good luck with everything.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:05 pm

ditto, i'm in for buckles, and all the best todd!

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:36 pm

Spoken with true passion for his craft. Wish you the best, Todd :salute:

Excited to see what's up ahead
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

t20569cald

Post by t20569cald » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:29 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
t20569cald wrote:

You're an ambitious man. I'm interested in a buckle when available. I hope the cases pan out too. I don't think any small(ish) companies are turning their own cases. What kind of mill did you get?

Its a Wabeco 1410. A smaller German mill for smaller work like prototyping.
http://mdaprecision.com/products/bencht ... -cnc-mill/
I got it from the USA actually and it is certainly up to the job, just not as fast as some.

If I can make a case on this and prove to myself I can, then I will straight away add a Haas V3

t20569cald

Post by t20569cald » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:30 pm

CGSshorty wrote:I can't wait to see the buckles, Todd. Good luck with everything.
I am starting with the roller buckles. A few companies have them now, so I think it ok to make them.

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:56 am

Best of luck, Todd

You know that I'm a fan of your work and I wish you the best!

Please add me to the top of your list for any new model!!

t20569cald

Post by t20569cald » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:18 am

andrema wrote:Best of luck, Todd

And a buckle!

ds760476
Name: Devon

Post by ds760476 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:01 am

Good luck! Maybe by the time they're ready, I'll have 2 $20 bills to rub together.

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:33 am

t20569cald wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
t20569cald wrote:

I got it from the USA actually and it is certainly up to the job, just not as fast as some.

If I can make a case on this and prove to myself I can, then I will straight away add a Haas V3
That's a hell of an investment! Congrats.
I've been thinking of buying a mill for a couple years. After I move into a more permanent house next yr, I might take the leap.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:59 am

t20569cald wrote:
andrema wrote:Best of luck, Todd

And a buckle!
Whatever it takes!

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:00 am

streetracer101 wrote:
t20569cald wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
t20569cald wrote:

I've been thinking of buying a mill for a couple years. After I move into a more permanent house next yr, I might take the leap.

Damn that is a lot of cash :think:

t20569cald

Post by t20569cald » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:46 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
t20569cald wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
t20569cald wrote:

Damn that is a lot of cash :think:
It cost double when you add tooling, enclosure , shipping

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:25 pm

Count me in for a buckle for damn sure. I can't wait to see where you take things, Todd. I got nothing but praise for your work so far.
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

t20569cald

Post by t20569cald » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:03 pm

BSears wrote:Count me in for a buckle for damn sure. I can't wait to see where you take things, Todd. I got nothing but praise for your work so far.

Its all a bit slow, costs too much money and becomes a little tiring doing things the way they are now.
Making buckles certainly takes some time too, but I am making them so dont mind.