Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Re: Glycine bought out by Invicta Watch Group

Post by streetracer101 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:52 pm

tattoo chef wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:
tattoo chef wrote:This has put a pit in my stomach. Shows the current CEO and board does not care about the legacy of the company at all. How bad must they have been hemorrhaging to sell to Invicta??!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Isn't he the guy who told that WUS customer that he did not want him to be a Glycine customer? I loved that quote and it almost made me buy a Glycine watch just out of respect.

This also shows us what "sells" in the watch world - garish fashion watches with inflated prices sold a "discount" prices. Good quality at a reasonable price does not sell.
Well, part of the problem is marketing. Glycine and Maurice Lacroix among many others are not marketed to the US like other brands are (Tag, Omega,Rolex etc.)
Another issue is being sold only at AD's and those brick and mortar stores not doing well, which they then dump watches to grey market dealers who who then sell them at such a discount off of retail, it makes buying retail a joke.
Really is a viscous cycle.

You're also forgetting that they over-infate their retail prices (like Fortis), which creates a robust gray market, making it harder for ADs to sell them because of limits associated with discounts.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:58 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
rockmastermike wrote:Glycine has been on/off my radar for awhile and I guess now is the time to get one.
Good selling point: "Pre-Invicta" Glycine......
I think this Invicta situation will cheapen the Glycine name, even for older non-Invicta pieces.

I liked the Incursore and I'm sure the other models are fine, but it's likely one will take a big hit on resale.
Just wait until they blow out all the "real" glycine watches to make room for the invicta shit designs. I would be staying far away from this brand if I had any intention of ever selling.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:28 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
rockmastermike wrote:Glycine has been on/off my radar for awhile and I guess now is the time to get one.
Good selling point: "Pre-Invicta" Glycine......
I think this Invicta situation will cheapen the Glycine name, even for older non-Invicta pieces.

I liked the Incursore and I'm sure the other models are fine, but it's likely one will take a big hit on resale.
+1 I wouldn't buy a modern Airman now, even if it were Pre-invicta production.

giosdad

Post by giosdad » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:56 pm

tattoo chef wrote:And the reason Invicta sells is because they are absolutely everywhere. Say what you want about the watches, the owner and all the BS, but they know how to market and distribute the watches.

I agree, they even have a store in Times Square. Not boutique avenue by any means but it is crawling with tourists and their competition is Tissot and Swatch in that area. Both better brands by far but the overflow and pricing (discounting) for the uninformed probably moves a lot of "junk "
Regards
Barry

hobbit712
Name: Steve

Post by hobbit712 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:31 pm

Anyone interested in a Golden Eye? :nutkick:
https://watchidiotsavants3.godaddysites.com/
instagram @watchidiotsavants

Chase after the dream, don't chase after the money

james80
Name: James

Post by james80 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:43 pm

Maybe they'll just buy it and leave it alone? The post did mention maintaining heritage.

1954Selmer
Name: RC

Post by 1954Selmer » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:58 pm

If you ask my Brother-in-Laws, he will tell you it ain'ts so bad. He loves all ten of his Invicta watchess

Axelay2003
Name: Gerard

Post by Axelay2003 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:07 pm

james80 wrote:Maybe they'll just buy it and leave it alone? The post did mention maintaining heritage.

History/Heritage must be maintained. I hope I am proven wrong, but Invicta's business model may not allow that. Sucks. I was contemplating on selling my purist GMT 08, not anymore. I don't think I'll be able to get this kind of Glycine quality with the newer Airman(post Glycine buy out) lineup. Quality may go south once everything settles.
Last edited by Axelay2003 on Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
It's a beautiful world! Gerald.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:12 pm

james80 wrote:Maybe they'll just buy it and leave it alone? The post did mention maintaining heritage.
That will depend on if Invicta is happy with their ROI. If not, well then changes will come quick. They will come out with some Glyvicta monstrosity.

dinexus
Name: Zach

Post by dinexus » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:49 pm

Heartbreaker. But given all the insane stock liquidation on Klepsoo et al, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Good for Invicta, super sad for everyone else. Wonder who's next.

ncstate1201
Name: Geoff B

Post by ncstate1201 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:00 pm

Had a glycine that I loved I did flip it and it was one of my earlier watches. I have looked for the model several times since and have been unable to find it. I guess this news pretty much ended my search. I am not certain there is a brand I loathe more than invicta. I agree with one of the others that responded and I don't think the vintage pieces will hold up as well long term. Especially if the new ones start looking like invictas...

Heuerville
Name: Stewart

Post by Heuerville » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:12 pm

I still don't know how Invicta have enough bank to buy Glycine. In my mind, Invicta is a gutter brand that sells shite.. I'm perplexed.
Stewart - Heuerville & Heuerville Straps
http://heuerville.wordpress.com/heuerville-straps/
"SOB get me a drink"

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:18 pm

Heuerville wrote:I still don't know how Invicta have enough bank to buy Glycine. In my mind, Invicta is a gutter brand that sells shite.. I'm perplexed.
They sell masses to the asses.:)

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:23 pm

Heuerville wrote:I still don't know how Invicta have enough bank to buy Glycine. In my mind, Invicta is a gutter brand that sells shite.. I'm perplexed.
They sell lots and lots of shite.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

dinexus
Name: Zach

Post by dinexus » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:24 pm

Wonder if they'd been in talks with Invicta for longer than we're aware of. Hell, this turd could have only been dreamed up by someone who thought highly of Invicta's design language. Image

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:22 pm

Is it me or is this post no longer on the Invicta IG feed?

dmckean44
Name: Dave

Post by dmckean44 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:58 pm

Probably one of those new Instagram Stories posts that only lasts two days.

Dedalus
Professor J
Name: Jared

Post by Dedalus » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:11 am

:popcorn:

Axelay2003
Name: Gerard

Post by Axelay2003 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:45 am

:scratch:
It's a beautiful world! Gerald.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:37 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Ryeguy wrote: This also shows us what "sells" in the watch world - garish fashion watches with inflated prices sold a "discount" prices. Good quality at a reasonable price does not sell.
I'd be interested in a peek at Sinn's books.
Yes, and maybe Oris too. Is Eterna still owne by that Chinese fashion brand company?

I think we'll see a wave of this going on.

Swatch was able to survive the '80's through the careful selection of brands with specific IP to offer. I don't see the current independents having nearly as much to offer.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:44 am

Ryeguy wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Ryeguy wrote: This also shows us what "sells" in the watch world - garish fashion watches with inflated prices sold a "discount" prices. Good quality at a reasonable price does not sell.
Yes, and maybe Oris too. Is Eterna still owne by that Chinese fashion brand company?

Swatch was able to survive the '80's through the careful selection of brands with specific IP to offer. I don't see the current independents having nearly as much to offer.
I think watchbuys brand assortment is a who's who of brands that will be bought up or go out of business, with the possible exceptions of Nomos and Sinn.

I'm shocked that people buy some of those watches.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:00 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:

I think watchbuys brand assortment is a who's who of brands that will be bought up or go out of business, with the possible exceptions of Nomos and Sinn.

Good observation. I just went through their website going yes, them too, and them, etc.

According to the web, Oris did almost 52 Million CHF in revenue in 2012. I wonder what their 2015 revenue will be? I've got to think someone like Fortis is generating less than 50% of Oris' revenue making them an easy target for acquisition.

The only thing those guys offer is brand recognition though, so it'll be hard to pin a value on the company. I think Fortis' claim to fame is their association with the Russian space program - cool, but not necessarily going to make me open up my wallet.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:04 am

djh1201 wrote:That sucks, when 1st started in this addiction, I was a big Glycine fan. Worst watch news I heard since Anonimo got bought out.
Ugh....this^^^

From Me....
Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

squibby
Name: EPR

Post by squibby » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:10 am

Sad sad news .... Yup....there goes the neighborhood

God Bless, Liz

Follow me on Instagram: squibby118
Page

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:28 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:

Good observation. I just went through their website going yes, them too, and them, etc.

According to the web, Oris did almost 52 Million CHF in revenue in 2012. I wonder what their 2015 revenue will be? I've got to think someone like Fortis is generating less than 50% of Oris' revenue making them an easy target for acquisition.

The only thing those guys offer is brand recognition though, so it'll be hard to pin a value on the company. I think Fortis' claim to fame is their association with the Russian space program - cool, but not necessarily going to make me open up my wallet.
I think Oris is ok. They have a lot of grey market, but I imagine they have high mark ups and their latest offerings seen to be generating a fair amount of buzz.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
Last edited by streetracer101 on Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.