Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Laco Ocean, another Kobold case???

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:48 am

:scratch:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stumpy1972
Perfectly Bent
Name: Dan

Re: Laco Ocean, another Kobold case???

Post by stumpy1972 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:20 am

I still love that case design whether it's a Kobold or whatever micro brand is ripping it off or buying them from Fricker these days. Unfortunately most of the micro brands can't seem to pull off a cohesive design like Kobold did.
"Steal a little and they throw you in jail. Steal a lot and they make you king." -Bob Dylan

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." -Henry Ford

"Surely not EVERYBODY was Kung Fu fighting." -Unknown

R@cerx
Name: David

Post by R@cerx » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:47 am

stumpy1972 wrote:I still love that case design whether it's a Kobold or whatever micro brand is ripping it off or buying them from Fricker these days. Unfortunately most of the micro brands can't seem to pull off a cohesive design like Kobold did.
Yep. And new Kobold's have cases made on their inhouse CNC machine.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:48 am

Laco has been using that case for a few years. It's a pretty nice looking watch, actually.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:52 am

:salute:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:52 am

toxicavenger wrote::salute:
Oh and these are stufflers pics from wus

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:02 am

The watch has been around for at least 6 years (there's a Worn and Wound review from 2010). It used to be available in a PVD case as well but I don't see that one listed anymore. Nice watch at a pretty reasonable price. And the company actually has good CS.

outtatime
Name: Jon

Post by outtatime » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:07 am

It looks like the illegitimate child of a Fortis and Dievas.
Current
Alpina Extreme Diver 300 | Benarus Ti47 | Breitling Avenger Seawolf | Eterna KonTiki Super 1973 | Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic | Hamilton Pan Europ | IWC Aquatimer 2000 | Korsbek Oceaneer | Linde Werdelin The One 2.6 | Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre | Omega Seamaster 300 Titanium | Omega Seamaster 2531.80 | Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow | Panerai 005 | Rolex Deepsea | Steinhart Nav-B 6497 | Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military | Stowa Seatime | Zenith El Primero Stratos

Incoming

Considering
PAM 422 | AP Royal Oak 15400 Silver | Rolex Explorer II 42mm Polar | Omega PO 8500 XL

Sometimes it's easier just to watch

Joe C
Name: Joe

Post by Joe C » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:47 am

I like it... But it would likely be too large for my wrist.
pure awesomeness :
(adj) The condition of having no faults, being completely extreme, and incredibly sick at life.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:50 am

As an addendum to my earlier post, Long Island Watch still shows the PVD version in stock.

http://www.longislandwatch.com/mobile/p ... 61703.htm=

stumpy1972
Perfectly Bent
Name: Dan

Post by stumpy1972 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:07 am

R@cerx wrote:
stumpy1972 wrote:I still love that case design whether it's a Kobold or whatever micro brand is ripping it off or buying them from Fricker these days. Unfortunately most of the micro brands can't seem to pull off a cohesive design like Kobold did.
Not sure whether I believe that or not, but if it is true, local US manufacturing is a good thing...
"Steal a little and they throw you in jail. Steal a lot and they make you king." -Bob Dylan

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." -Henry Ford

"Surely not EVERYBODY was Kung Fu fighting." -Unknown

R@cerx

Post by R@cerx » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:21 am

stumpy1972 wrote:
R@cerx wrote:
Not sure whether I believe that or not, but if it is true, local US manufacturing is a good thing...
I believe as much as I saw in a video made at Kobold's shop in PA. Looks to me like they are making cases there. I've been around lots of CNC shops, so the setup looked authentic and the guy running it knew what he was doing.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:46 am

R@cerx wrote:
stumpy1972 wrote:
R@cerx wrote:
I believe as much as I saw in a video made at Kobold's shop in PA. Looks to me like they are making cases there. I've been around lots of CNC shops, so the setup looked authentic and the guy running it knew what he was doing.
The new case on my Soarway is really, really well done. I'm hoping their growing pains with Made in USA cases are over.
David St. Hubbins

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:47 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
R@cerx wrote:
stumpy1972 wrote:
R@cerx wrote:
The new case on my Soarway is really, really well done. I'm hoping their growing pains with Made in USA cases are over.
Yeah they were practicing in the video :stir: , so hopefully 5 years after announcing they were making them in the US they might be good to go.

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Name: Jeff

Post by jswing » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:57 pm

It's a 45mm case? My Kobold looked the same but was 41.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:01 pm

jswing wrote:It's a 45mm case? My Kobold looked the same but was 41.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
It's the Large Soarway Diver case.
David St. Hubbins

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:05 pm

Amish Sherpa?

R@cerx

Post by R@cerx » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:16 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
R@cerx wrote:
stumpy1972 wrote:
R@cerx wrote:
Yeah they were practicing in the video :stir: , so hopefully 5 years after announcing they were making them in the US they might be good to go.
Here's the thing with CNC machines, they're expensive to own and more expensive to let them sit idle. Practicing cost money, what I saw in the video was watch cases in various stages of production. The shop looked very typical of all the CNC shops I've been around. Other than making watch cases, I'm sure they will be filling the machines time doing contract work. I wish them all the best.
Last edited by R@cerx on Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:27 pm

R@cerx wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
R@cerx wrote:
stumpy1972 wrote:
R@cerx wrote:
Here's the thing with CNC machines, they're expensive to own and more expensive to let them sit idle. Practicing cost money, what I saw in the video was watch cases in various stages of production. The shop looked very typical of all the CNC shops I've been around. Other than making watch cases, I'm sure they will be filling the machines time doing contract work. I wish them the all the best.
:excited:

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:38 pm

R@cerx wrote:
stumpy1972 wrote:
R@cerx wrote:
Doesn't his dad own a huge tool company?

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:11 pm

dnslater wrote:
R@cerx wrote:
stumpy1972 wrote:
R@cerx wrote:
Doesn't his dad own a huge tool company?
I think a aviation machining company.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:26 pm

I kind of want one of these now.
David St. Hubbins

4pfrench
Name: Paul

Post by 4pfrench » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:33 pm

CGSshorty wrote:I kind of want one of these now.
You can afford it with the proceeds of selling me your Kobold.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:36 pm

4pfrench wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:I kind of want one of these now.
You can afford it with the proceeds of selling me your Kobold.
After all I've gone through get that watch right, I couldn't possibly sell it. Plus, I just know it will break en route to a new owner. :lol:
David St. Hubbins

4pfrench
Name: Paul

Post by 4pfrench » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:40 pm

That would be my luck- thanks for saving me from myself...