Citizen bought what...

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
bottom of the ninth
Name: Trent

Citizen bought what...

Post by bottom of the ninth » Thu May 26, 2016 8:37 am

Not sure but this seems to be huge for Citizen, so Swiss brands if I correct??
http://www.watchpro.com/frederique-cons ... y-citizen/
"Baseball? It's just a game-as simple as a ball and bat. Yet, as complex as the American spirit it symbolizes. It's a sport, business- and sometimes even religion."
Ernie Harwell

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Re: Citizen bought what...

Post by matt.wu » Thu May 26, 2016 9:48 am

Wow. I like Citizen, so it'll be interesting to see what happens here with the intermingling of Swiss and Japanese. Granted, there are plenty of examples of this already with Swiss and German brands (like Lange with Richemont or GO with Swatch).
:htfu:

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Thu May 26, 2016 9:58 am

I don't think people realize what a power Citizen is.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Thu May 26, 2016 10:02 am

As smaller Swiss brands sink I wouldn't be surprised to see more of this.

Didn't a Chinese company buy Eterna not long ago?

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Thu May 26, 2016 10:02 am

This is great for Citizen. One of my favorite brands for sure
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Thu May 26, 2016 10:06 am

First Bulova, now Frederique Constant. I read an interview with the CEO of Citizen not long ago, in which he stated that one of their primary goals is to move upmarket. Part of that strategy is acquiring Swiss brands.

The list of family owned Swiss brands continues to dwindle. Not long ago, Ulysse Nardin was bought by a French holding company, and I believe that there are other smaller brands that have recently been sold to large parent companies. Patek Philippe has been owned by the Stern family since 1932 and from what I understand, they intend to stay that way.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Thu May 26, 2016 10:35 am

Great news for Alpina
Maybe more automatic watches with 901?5

outtatime
Name: Jon

Post by outtatime » Thu May 26, 2016 10:49 am

Interesting. FC has got to be the only watch company where the CEO will respond to a WTB thread on WUS and get you hooked up with what you're looking for. And, even beyond that, actually continue a conversation with you.
Current
Alpina Extreme Diver 300 | Benarus Ti47 | Breitling Avenger Seawolf | Eterna KonTiki Super 1973 | Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic | Hamilton Pan Europ | IWC Aquatimer 2000 | Korsbek Oceaneer | Linde Werdelin The One 2.6 | Omega Seamaster 300 Spectre | Omega Seamaster 300 Titanium | Omega Seamaster 2531.80 | Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow | Panerai 005 | Rolex Deepsea | Steinhart Nav-B 6497 | Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military | Stowa Seatime | Zenith El Primero Stratos

Incoming

Considering
PAM 422 | AP Royal Oak 15400 Silver | Rolex Explorer II 42mm Polar | Omega PO 8500 XL

Sometimes it's easier just to watch

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Post by Jeep99dad » Thu May 26, 2016 11:02 am

I think it's cool. I like both companies.
I look forward to see what these two brands coming together put out for us.
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Thu May 26, 2016 11:38 am

I read it from Hodinkee, Ben and John were discussing how awesome they are for receiving the news first. A "jerk circle" followed.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

Steve O.
Name: Uh, Steve

Post by Steve O. » Thu May 26, 2016 5:06 pm

Joeprez wrote:I read it from Hodinkee, Ben and John were discussing how awesome they are for receiving the news first. A "jerk circle" followed.
Good one. :grin:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin

slashd0t
Name: Jamie

Post by slashd0t » Fri May 27, 2016 9:56 pm

Citizen needs to move up market fast.. They are going to be consumed by smart watches in the next 5-10 years.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Fri May 27, 2016 10:02 pm

Oh cool citizen..... That one brand that Seiko over shadows.

Never owned one
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

afc14284
Name: Ricardo

Post by afc14284 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:18 am

This is something really good for both companies hopefully Alpina will keep its brand and identity intact throughout all this changes although I wouldn't mind a Diver Extreme with Eco Drive technology in the future.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
“Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:18 am

BBK357 wrote:Oh cool citizen..... That one brand that Seiko over shadows.

Never owned one
True for watch enthusiasts, but Citizen is a bigger company.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:39 am

I think this is very interesting especially in respect to watch movements...
Remember when Tag "leveraged" Seiko....

:cheers:
Mike

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:34 am

dnslater wrote:

Never owned one
I've not looked at either company's financials, but as Seiko is owned by Epson, I suspect Seiko is technically the larger company. If you are just speaking about the revenue generated from watches, then you might be correct.

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council
Name: Der Brummbär

Post by hazmatman » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:48 am

CGSshorty wrote:I don't think people realize what a power Citizen is.
All across the globe, most unrealized power lies with the Citizen.

TimelessLuxWatches
Name: Brett

Post by TimelessLuxWatches » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:02 pm

FC is actually Citizen's third Swiss watch company. They bought LJP (a movement maker/modifier) and LJP's subsidiary, Arnold and Son, not long ago.

You can find LJP Swiss movements in Citizen Campanola now.

Regarding the size of the brands, Citizen is arguably the larger watchmaker. This is due, in large part, to their very successful Miyota movement division and to Bulova. Seiko does dominate the luxury segment though.

Seiko is a bigger company overall. Japanese corporate structuring is very confusing to Western businessmen and lawyers, where we see several different corporations and assume that they're actually separate. They often have the exact same board of directors and same major shareholders, and operate together as a subtle zaibatsu. Seiko, itself sometimes thought of as a zaibatsu, operates this way.

In reality, all of these different companies are probably operated either openly or quietly under the Hattori family and friends of the Hattori family. This is true even though some Seiko corporations are publicly traded (the people behind the company are still dominant shareholders who steer the corporation).

Seiko is a larger company, but that's because they produce everything. Golf clubs, printers, glasses etc.

As per Seiko Epson, it's not that Epson bought Seiko, it's that Epson, a Seiko product, just became so famous that two different Seiko subsidiaries were merged into the Epson brand name. The Epson was Seiko's first commercially available electronic printer. The name is a joke, a play on the EP101, the first compact electronic printer that was created by Seiko for the Tokyo Olympics. Epson is literally the "Son of EP one oh one", as in the sequel. EP, of course, is just electronic printer.

Focusing on Citizen and Frederique Constant, I think it'll be good for the brand. Citizen has very deep pockets and has so far managed to give their subsidiaries plenty of independence while also expanding their R&D greatly. Citizen could have just "taken" the Precisionist movement for their Citizen line, or shared them, but they allowed Bulova to focus on that and make it their own for the strength of their subsidiary.

So I'm actually pleased with this acquisition.

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:27 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
dnslater wrote:

Never owned one
I've not looked at either company's financials, but as Seiko is owned by Epson, I suspect Seiko is technically the larger company. If you are just speaking about the revenue generated from watches, then you might be correct.
I based it on Wikipedia for both parent companies. Included subsidiaries such as Epson, but the numbers were old. I think Seiko owns Epson, not the other way around.

Sidheguitarist
Man of many calibers.
Name: Michael

Post by Sidheguitarist » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:07 pm

TimelessLuxWatches wrote:FC is actually Citizen's third Swiss watch company. They bought LJP (a movement maker/modifier) and LJP's subsidiary, Arnold and Son, not long ago...
[a bunch of cool info]
Good stuff, thanks a ton for posting that.
:thumbsup:

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:17 am

TimelessLuxWatches wrote:FC is actually Citizen's third Swiss watch company. They bought LJP (a movement maker/modifier) and LJP's subsidiary, Arnold and Son, not long ago.

You can find LJP Swiss movements in Citizen Campanola now.

Regarding the size of the brands, Citizen is arguably the larger watchmaker. This is due, in large part, to their very successful Miyota movement division and to Bulova. Seiko does dominate the luxury segment though.

Seiko is a bigger company overall. Japanese corporate structuring is very confusing to Western businessmen and lawyers, where we see several different corporations and assume that they're actually separate. They often have the exact same board of directors and same major shareholders, and operate together as a subtle zaibatsu. Seiko, itself sometimes thought of as a zaibatsu, operates this way.

In reality, all of these different companies are probably operated either openly or quietly under the Hattori family and friends of the Hattori family. This is true even though some Seiko corporations are publicly traded (the people behind the company are still dominant shareholders who steer the corporation).

Seiko is a larger company, but that's because they produce everything. Golf clubs, printers, glasses etc.

As per Seiko Epson, it's not that Epson bought Seiko, it's that Epson, a Seiko product, just became so famous that two different Seiko subsidiaries were merged into the Epson brand name. The Epson was Seiko's first commercially available electronic printer. The name is a joke, a play on the EP101, the first compact electronic printer that was created by Seiko for the Tokyo Olympics. Epson is literally the "Son of EP one oh one", as in the sequel. EP, of course, is just electronic printer.

Focusing on Citizen and Frederique Constant, I think it'll be good for the brand. Citizen has very deep pockets and has so far managed to give their subsidiaries plenty of independence while also expanding their R&D greatly. Citizen could have just "taken" the Precisionist movement for their Citizen line, or shared them, but they allowed Bulova to focus on that and make it their own for the strength of their subsidiary.

Fantastic info - Thanks! This helps explain why there is not updated revenue information for the companies on the net.

diver
Name: zach

Post by diver » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:51 pm

cool. great manufacturing company , with strong backing, laced with a swiss brand already known to make quality products and an affordable price. can't go wrong.

GregBe
Name: Greg

Post by GregBe » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:58 am

outtatime wrote:Interesting. FC has got to be the only watch company where the CEO will respond to a WTB thread on WUS and get you hooked up with what you're looking for. And, even beyond that, actually continue a conversation with you.
That is fascinating. Was that you? Would love to hear more.