Minor scratches

Discussion of Ægir watches.

Moderator: t20569cald

Nm7273
Name: Nick

Minor scratches

Post by Nm7273 » Thu May 05, 2016 9:14 am

Hello y'all,

This is my first time to post on this forum. I have just begun acquiring dive watches: so far I have a bronze Archimede, a Dievas GMT and an Aegir CD1. Unfortunately, despite great care, I have somehow managed to get a very light scratch on the bezel on my CD1 right above the 12 marker. It is actually more of a scuff than a scratch and is difficult to see but I know it's there and it bothers the hell of me. My question is: is there a safe way to remove it? I thought about using 00000 steel wool but am not sure it I could match the brushed finish. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Re: Minor scratches

Post by BSears » Thu May 05, 2016 9:16 am

Well first off, welcome to DWC. Todd is a long-standing member here and can hopefully give you some advice. There's also quite a few CD-1 owners here who may have experience. Post up a pic of the CD-1 and scuff in question, too.
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Thu May 05, 2016 9:27 am

Welcome! :thumbsup:

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Thu May 05, 2016 9:28 am

Don't worry about it. Watches that are worn will all get scratches, it's going to happen to every watch. The bezel is hardened to help guard against this, but it's not "scratch proof". If it bothers you I suggest wearing disposable cheap watches and tossing them when they get buggered up.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu May 05, 2016 9:28 am

Sorry to hear about your scratch. I wear the hell out of my CD1 and I yet to scratch the kolsterized bezel on it. If it bothered me though I would lightly go over it with steel wool like you mentioned. I am sure it wouldn't bother me though.

Nm7273

Post by Nm7273 » Thu May 05, 2016 9:39 am

Yeah, I get your point. If I'd had the watch a bit longer it probably wouldn't bother me as much. Most of my other watches have acquired character and I just live with it. I am surprised by it though. I have no idea when it occurred but have no recollection of bashing it against anything and expect the hardened bezel to be a little more "idiot proof". Anyway, thanks for the quick responses. If I try a remedy I'll report the results.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu May 05, 2016 9:43 am

Nm7273 wrote:Yeah, I get your point. If I'd had the watch a bit longer it probably wouldn't bother me as much. Most of my other watches have acquired character and I just live with it. I am surprised by it though. I have no idea when it occurred but have no recollection of bashing it against anything and expect the hardened bezel to be a little more "idiot proof". Anyway, thanks for the quick responses. If I try a remedy I'll report the results.
Your one of the only people I have ever heard to scratch a CD1 bezel. So for me that says they are pretty much "idiot proof".

Bronze should be scratching a whole lot easier than a kolsterized bezel.

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Minor scratches

Post by HapaHapa » Thu May 05, 2016 10:30 am

Welcome! Those scuffs seem to show up unannounced. Been carrying anything recently? I probably knock mine around the most when I'm shouldering through doorways.
Aegir company owner Todd is on this forum at t20569cald. Give him a shout or try what's been suggested (or just ignore it). Just remember to protect the crystal.
The Hapa

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Thu May 05, 2016 10:53 am

Nm7273 wrote:.......I am surprised by it though. I have no idea when it occurred but have no recollection of bashing it against anything and expect the hardened bezel to be a little more "idiot proof"......
You're not fishing Aegir to do anything about it, correct?

carlodwc

Post by carlodwc » Thu May 05, 2016 4:05 pm

If you knew you were going to get a scratch you would not go there... right? :lol:

So of course most scratches happen when you don't expect them and by the same token you might not even be aware of them until after the fact. :shrug:

Welcome to the forum. Cleaning up such a small mark is probably easy with some light abrasive material like a pad or even very fine sand paper.

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod

Post by BSears » Thu May 05, 2016 4:14 pm

Fella, guy, buddy, friend.... Post a pic of said scuff/scratch.

Heuerville
Name: Stewart

Post by Heuerville » Thu May 05, 2016 4:26 pm

Rule no.1.
Don't blame the watch for damage you cause to hard metal.
Stewart - Heuerville & Heuerville Straps
http://heuerville.wordpress.com/heuerville-straps/
"SOB get me a drink"

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Thu May 05, 2016 5:24 pm

It is just a scratch. Wear the watch and enjoy it.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Thu May 05, 2016 5:27 pm

What's the point of this thread? Does a warranty cover scratches? No. Am I missing something?

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Thu May 05, 2016 5:34 pm

^ that's what I was saying too Art. It seems like a very WUS-like thread.

Nm7273

Post by Nm7273 » Thu May 05, 2016 6:51 pm

guys, I am not blaming the watch and I would never even consider suggesting this was a warranty issue. As I mentioned, it is a light scuffing that was caused by me that I was surprised to see. It is barely noticeable but it's a new watch and it bums me out. I was hoping someone could give me simple advise about how to remove it but if not I'll live with it. That's it. BTW, although I've a watch collector for a few years I haven't been involved in forums; what is "WUS"? Just to be clear, the point of the thread was to call upon the experience of folks who have knowledge about this particular watch to see if I could discover a way to fix a minor issue. Seemed simple enough to me.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Thu May 05, 2016 6:55 pm

Good to know. :thumbsup:

mikeylacroix
Name: Mike

Post by mikeylacroix » Thu May 05, 2016 7:16 pm

Nm7273 wrote:guys, I am not blaming the watch and I would never even consider suggesting this was a warranty issue. As I mentioned, it is a light scuffing that was caused by me that I was surprised to see. It is barely noticeable but it's a new watch and it bums me out. I was hoping someone could give me simple advise about how to remove it but if not I'll live with it. That's it. BTW, although I've a watch collector for a few years I haven't been involved in forums; what is "WUS"? Just to be clear, the point of the thread was to call upon the experience of folks who have knowledge about this particular watch to see if I could discover a way to fix a minor issue. Seemed simple enough to me.
I think the solution...after what the others have said..is to also get yourself a cd2 :D

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Thu May 05, 2016 7:16 pm

Nm7273 wrote:guys, I am not blaming the watch and I would never even consider suggesting this was a warranty issue. As I mentioned, it is a light scuffing that was caused by me that I was surprised to see. It is barely noticeable but it's a new watch and it bums me out. I was hoping someone could give me simple advise about how to remove it but if not I'll live with it. That's it. BTW, although I've a watch collector for a few years I haven't been involved in forums; what is "WUS"? Just to be clear, the point of the thread was to call upon the experience of folks who have knowledge about this particular watch to see if I could discover a way to fix a minor issue. Seemed simple enough to me.
Good enough. Buy a fiberglass scratch and try to follow the direction of original brushing. Not sure if it'll work since that bezel is hardened but worth a try.

http://www.amazon.com/Scratch-Brush-Fib ... B0019V18D2

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod

Post by BSears » Thu May 05, 2016 9:39 pm

No, I got the gist of your thread. Pay no mind to suggestions of ulterior motives. We get those types from time to time so some folks are a bit hair trigger, particularly when it comes to protecting "one of our own." And Todd certainly qualifies for that status. I think you had us at "what is 'WUS'?"

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Thu May 05, 2016 9:46 pm

Gotta keep the wagons circled Bradley...

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Thu May 05, 2016 11:20 pm

WUS = another watch forum with a heavy population of, well, call them annoying personalities
The Hapa

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod

Post by BSears » Thu May 05, 2016 11:46 pm

hoppyjr wrote:Gotta keep the wagons circled Bradley...
;)

t20569cald
Founder and Owner of Ægir Instruments

Post by t20569cald » Fri May 06, 2016 12:09 am

Nm7273 wrote:Hello y'all,

This is my first time to post on this forum. I have just begun acquiring dive watches: so far I have a bronze Archimede, a Dievas GMT and an Aegir CD1. Unfortunately, despite great care, I have somehow managed to get a very light scratch on the bezel on my CD1 right above the 12 marker. It is actually more of a scuff than a scratch and is difficult to see but I know it's there and it bothers the hell of me. My question is: is there a safe way to remove it? I thought about using 00000 steel wool but am not sure it I could match the brushed finish. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tough one, as that bezel is Kolsterized. Mine has been on my wrist for 12 months or so and by eye it has no scratches at all. Under the loup however, it has plenty.
What you can try is Bergeon 5444-A Fine Abrasive Block, which I use myself.
The pen suggested I have never tried, but sure it works the same.
Have a picture of the damage?
Rome wasn't built in a day, but i wasn't on that job!

http://www.aegirinstruments.com

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Fri May 06, 2016 1:16 pm

Welcome to DWC :cheers:

Good luck with your scuff - it does suck when the watch is relatively new
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM