ARES Watch Company

Come on in and introduce yourself!
General watch talk.
Grahamcombat
Name: Graham

ARES Watch Company

Post by Grahamcombat » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:47 pm

Hey guys, it’s Matt Graham, and I thought I’d put some information out regarding my new watch company, ARES Watch Co., in an effort to answer some of the questions I have been getting.

I started a watch company here in Seattle, WA called ARES Watch Company. The goal of ARES is the design, manufacture, distribution, and service of in-house designed hard-use mission timers. I spent the last 12 years of my professional life at the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and am now building the mission timers I always wished I’d had.

I am building a watch company, not just a watch. This is a very important distinction for me, as I am putting all of the pieces in place to build a company that has both longevity and growth. I am fortunate enough to be in the Pacific Northwest, which is a hotbed for tech and fabrication, and I am taking advantage of that fully. It is my goal to —eventually — produce all of the components of our watches in house. I can facilitate this goal because I have the two things critical for success: watch makers and machinists. Early on in the development of ARES as a company I was able to partner with North Seattle College’s Watch Technology Institute. WTI was originally created by Rolex USA as a two year technical certification school for watch makers. Nick, the owner of Orion, is a recent graduate of the program. The program produces some of the finest skilled watchmakers in the world. I have hired directly from that program and have also committed to a portion of our proceeds of each ARES sale to a scholarship program to the Institute. In addition I have sourced machinists from both the aerospace and defense industry. These two factors will set a foundation for our future success. With watchmakers and machinists I can build anything.

In order to bring ARES on line I am introducing the DIVER-1. The DIVER-1 represents everything I have wanted in an operational dive watch. The specifications are mine and meet my needs for an operational diver. DIVER-1 was designed by me - drawn and sketched by hand in books and journals - over the years. To meet the manufacturing requirements DIVER-1 will be manufactured in Hong Kong - at the same design and fulfillment house numerous successful micro brands currently use - as well as here in the US and Switzerland. As we grow over time it is my intention and plan to bring more and more components in house for manufacturing fulfillment. The biggest problem is: Americans have lost the art of watch machining and watch making. And those that have the art aren’t too open to sourcing. The biggest reality is: if you want professional watches made to professional standards you’d be hard pressed to find finer craftsmanship and quality than some of the Asian manufacturing houses. I am not ashamed to let the best people do the best job, but I am striving to build that process here at home. All DIVER-1 watches will be hand finished, assembled, quality assured, and serviced here in Seattle. We build them and then we send them out the door.

The ARES DIVER-1 specifications are as follows:

- 41.0mm case/42.0mm bezel
- case size 49.5mm 2-piece construction
- 12.5mm thickness
- 22mm drilled lugs w/ 1.8mm shoulderless springbar
- 316L stainless case, crown & bezel
- Ronda 715Li, Gold 5-jewel, movement
- 10 year lithium-ion battery with EOL indicator
- flat sapphire crystal, inner AR coating
- solid caseback, screw down, with Viton seal
- 7.1mm Fat Head crown, screw down, double Viton seal
- C3 Super-LumiNova
- 22mm LASH nylon 3-buckle strap
- individually serialized
- bead blasted finish

I am going to open up ARES, in the next few days and begin accepting pre-orders for the DIVER-1. The DIVER-1 is a Limited Edition watch for ARES. The price is $695 and includes free FEDEX delivery (CONUS) and a Lifetime Warranty. I have established ARES policy as such:

“I guarantee everything we make. Ares watches are covered to the original owner against manufacturing defects in materials and workmanship for the lifetime of the product.  The Lifetime Warranty does not include misuse or normal wear and tear. 

If you are not satisfied with the purchase of your watch at the time you receive it, return it to Ares in new, unworn and unused condition in original packaging, within 7 days of purchase, for a full refund. Watches returned worn, used, or returned with damage, wear, or any sign of use will be subject to a 25% restocking fee.”

I will be officially launching ARES Watch Company this weekend in NYC at Worn & Wounds Wind Up Watch Fair. I have been talking with Ariel Adams at A Blog To Watch over the past few months and we will have some more company and product information coming out through ABTW over the next few weeks. I am certain Atomic Tom will post it here. I will be launching our site, areswatches.com, in the next few days and I have already been promoting through our IG @areswatchco.

I am building ARES as a watch making company. We will produce multiple hard-use mission timer styles, in both Li-on quartz and mechanical movements. I am excited to announce, in addition to DIVER-1, we will be launching two new watches in 2019: the DIVER-1C and the FIELD-1 GMT. The DIVER-1C has been selected as an Official Prize of the 2019 US Army Best Ranger Competition, and will be announced and profiled in spring of next year. In addition FIELD-1, a dated GMT, has been selected with ARES as the Official Timer & Watch of the NFL Alumni Association’s 2019 Super Bowl of Golf. The FIELD-1 will be announced and profiled in fall of 2019. Because we are a watch making company all models of ARES diver and field watches will be available with either Li-on or mechanical movements, starting winter of ‘19.

We’re open for business.
Last edited by Grahamcombat on Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CGSshorty
Admin

Re: ARES Watch Company

Post by CGSshorty » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:54 pm

Very exciting news, Matt. Good luck.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

Grahamcombat

Post by Grahamcombat » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:57 pm

SERIAL NUMBERS

A few of you have asked about getting a specific serial number for DIVER-1. I have been keeping a list of those. If any of DWC are interested in securing a specific serial number please send me an email, m@areswatches.com, with your name - a real name, not your screen name - and the number you’d like and I’ll reserve it for you. But you will need to pay for it during the pre-order. First come, first served.

I’ve been working on the DIVER-1 for the past six months so some numbers have already been taken.

Send me an email and I will let you know. -M

manitoujoe
Name: Mark

Post by manitoujoe » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:57 pm

Congrats buddy!!
Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:14 pm

:clap:

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:19 pm

Great job, Matt
The Hapa

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:20 pm

Nice
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:35 pm

Sounds like you're off to a great start. Best of luck!

P.S. Have you starting QA-ing the hands? I understand that process can take a long time.

Erratic101
Name: Justyn

Post by Erratic101 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:38 pm

Very awesome and congrats. Looks like an amazing watch and has almost everything I would want, just missing a date.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:44 pm

Selym wrote:Sounds like you're off to a great start. Best of luck!

P.S. Have you starting QA-ing the hands? I understand that process can take a long time.
:lol:

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:44 pm

Erratic101 wrote:Very awesome and congrats. Looks like an amazing watch and has almost everything I would want, just missing a date.
If you wear one you might get a date.

Selym

Post by Selym » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:50 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:44 pm
If you look anything like your profile photo, I'm in! :love:

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:52 pm

Selym wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:44 pm
Erratic101 wrote:Very awesome and congrats. Looks like an amazing watch and has almost everything I would want, just missing a date.
If you look anything like your profile photo, I'm in! :love:
I look exactly like my profile photo on Facebook, and I’m flattered but I’m not into dudes. Not judging though.

Matt, is this a discussion thread?

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:04 pm

Can’t wait!
:htfu:

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

ARES Watch Company

Post by JDC222 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:09 pm

I’m stoked to strap this on and wear the sh!t out of it!

It looks wicked on the green Zulu....Lifetime Warranty, awesome!!

It’s not hard to see that you’ve put a lot of thought in to this Matt.

Big congrats!
Last edited by JDC222 on Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:12 pm

JDC222 wrote:I’m stoked to strap this on and wear the sh!t out of it! It looks wicked on the green Zulu Matt....Lifetime Warranty, awesome!!
Seems like it could be a perfect daily do-anything, wear without worry watch.

mellonb1
Name: Brian

Post by mellonb1 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:23 pm

Congrats Matt and best of luck in this venture. The Diver-1 looks real nice.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:28 pm

So did you bring the sherpas over here then? Many confusions.

DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

Selym

Post by Selym » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:37 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:52 pm
I look exactly like my profile photo on Facebook, and I’m flattered but I’m not into dudes. Not judging though.
DWC avatar, not FB. :thumbsup:

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:27 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

stonehead887
Name: Jeremy

Post by stonehead887 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:32 pm

These look really cool. Simple. Functional. It's great to see the company pulling together talent and giving something back. The brand ethos seems well thought out with great intent. I feel so often micro brands try too hard to be different and sometime what is needed is a simple approach. It's nice to see some mindfulness in regard to local skills too.
Best of luck for the future

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:02 am

Will there be an EDT bezel option?

Grahamcombat

Post by Grahamcombat » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:16 am

Nope, not on this.