Ares Watches

Discussion of ARES watches

Moderator: Grahamcombat

User avatar
PGERRITY
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:16 pm
Name: Pat
Location: PA

Re: Ares Watches

Post by PGERRITY » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:25 pm

Ohhh yes. Love it! Hits the sweet spot size-wise , lume is insane, and super comfortable. Nice work MG
A6103640-1E40-4992-BFEC-20FB0E4BBEE7.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Posts: 15240
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:30 pm
Name: Dave
Location: Canada

Re: Ares Watches

Post by JDC222 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:35 pm

PGERRITY wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:25 pm
Ohhh yes. Love it! Hits the sweet spot size-wise , lume is insane, and super comfortable. Nice work MGA6103640-1E40-4992-BFEC-20FB0E4BBEE7.jpeg
Congrats Pat!! :fro:
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

User avatar
mellonb1
Posts: 3705
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:54 pm
Name: Brian
Location: Texas

Re: Ares Watches

Post by mellonb1 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:50 pm

Chocodove wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:55 pm
I like this one a lot. I was a little worried about the longish lugs after seeing some pics, but in reality it’s just fine. Well done.

It also works for taking out the trash.

Image
Congrats Todd..I'm loving mine.

User avatar
mellonb1
Posts: 3705
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:54 pm
Name: Brian
Location: Texas

Re: Ares Watches

Post by mellonb1 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:52 pm

PGERRITY wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:25 pm
Ohhh yes. Love it! Hits the sweet spot size-wise , lume is insane, and super comfortable. Nice work MGA6103640-1E40-4992-BFEC-20FB0E4BBEE7.jpeg
Looking good, Pat. Congrats!

User avatar
matt.wu
Wu
Posts: 28086
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:33 pm
Name: m@
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA

Re: Ares Watches

Post by matt.wu » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:06 pm

Yeah, the size is perfect. It’s definitely not too big, but it has good presence.

I definitely swapped out the stock strap immediately, as it was much too stiff for my preference, but find it wears like a dream on Toxics (especially Shiznit) or any two-piece straps.

The lug hole placement is great and works well to avoid gap at the lugs with straps.
:htfu:

SoCal C4S
Posts: 1886
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:05 am
Name: RJ

Re: Ares Watches

Post by SoCal C4S » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:16 pm

I like the OEM straps, but will probably move it to a rubber strap soon, as those are my favorite. All of my other 22mm straps left with the IWC.

User avatar
PGERRITY
Posts: 3042
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:16 pm
Name: Pat
Location: PA

Re: Ares Watches

Post by PGERRITY » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:49 pm

JDC222 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:35 pm
PGERRITY wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:25 pm
Ohhh yes. Love it! Hits the sweet spot size-wise , lume is insane, and super comfortable. Nice work MGA6103640-1E40-4992-BFEC-20FB0E4BBEE7.jpeg
Congrats Pat!! :fro:
Thanks!

User avatar
JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Posts: 15240
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:30 pm
Name: Dave
Location: Canada

Re: Ares Watches

Post by JDC222 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:56 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:06 pm
Yeah, the size is perfect. It’s definitely not too big, but it has good presence.

I definitely swapped out the stock strap immediately, as it was much too stiff for my preference, but find it wears like a dream on Toxics (especially Shiznit) or any two-piece straps.

The lug hole placement is great and works well to avoid gap at the lugs with straps.
Wu is delicate :koolaid:
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

User avatar
hoppyjr
HJ
Posts: 32464
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:05 am
Name: Hoppy
Location: Washington State

Re: Ares Watches

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:44 pm

I’ll bet it would look great on Isofrane, but I can’t seem to find mine.

User avatar
JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Posts: 15240
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:30 pm
Name: Dave
Location: Canada

Re: Ares Watches

Post by JDC222 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:00 pm

Image
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

User avatar
abuemily
Posts: 492
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:08 am
Name: Michael
Location: God's Country

Re: Ares Watches

Post by abuemily » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:11 am

Image
Finally got around to wearing mine—ticks a lot on boxes and will be my grab ‘n go, particularly while traveling. This is my first (non-digital) quartz, however, and I’ll have to get used to the second hand—mine actually misses every seconds marker.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
matt.wu
Wu
Posts: 28086
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:33 pm
Name: m@
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA

Re: Ares Watches

Post by matt.wu » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:14 am

abuemily wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:11 am
Image
Finally got around to wearing mine—ticks a lot on boxes and will be my grab ‘n go, particularly while traveling. This is my first (non-digital) quartz, however, and I’ll have to get used to the second hand—mine actually misses every seconds marker.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have half a mind to get mine modded soon. I may have the seconds hand cut down so that only the circle in the center remains to cover the post, then you can't see the ticking. I've done it to a few of my previous watches, both quartz and auto.
:htfu:

User avatar
deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Posts: 10705
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:29 pm
Name: Paul

Re: Ares Watches

Post by deepcdvr » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:20 am

matt.wu wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:14 am
abuemily wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:11 am
Image
Finally got around to wearing mine—ticks a lot on boxes and will be my grab ‘n go, particularly while traveling. This is my first (non-digital) quartz, however, and I’ll have to get used to the second hand—mine actually misses every seconds marker.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have half a mind to get mine modded soon. I may have the seconds hand cut down so that only the circle in the center remains to cover the post, then you can't see the ticking. I've done it to a few of my previous watches, both quartz and auto.
I've seen some of your previous work - looks bad a$$ - it would drive me crazy, though. I'm always timing sht :ugeek:
VR/
Paul

NEVER SETTLE!

User avatar
matt.wu
Wu
Posts: 28086
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:33 pm
Name: m@
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA

Re: Ares Watches

Post by matt.wu » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:43 am

deepcdvr wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:20 am
matt.wu wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:14 am
abuemily wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:11 am
Finally got around to wearing mine—ticks a lot on boxes and will be my grab ‘n go, particularly while traveling. This is my first (non-digital) quartz, however, and I’ll have to get used to the second hand—mine actually misses every seconds marker.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have half a mind to get mine modded soon. I may have the seconds hand cut down so that only the circle in the center remains to cover the post, then you can't see the ticking. I've done it to a few of my previous watches, both quartz and auto.
I've seen some of your previous work - looks bad a$$ - it would drive me crazy, though. I'm always timing sht :ugeek:
Use your phone? :shrug:

:lol: :mrgreen:
:htfu:

User avatar
deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Posts: 10705
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:29 pm
Name: Paul

Re: Ares Watches

Post by deepcdvr » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:12 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:43 am
deepcdvr wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:20 am
matt.wu wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:14 am
abuemily wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:11 am
Finally got around to wearing mine—ticks a lot on boxes and will be my grab ‘n go, particularly while traveling. This is my first (non-digital) quartz, however, and I’ll have to get used to the second hand—mine actually misses every seconds marker.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have half a mind to get mine modded soon. I may have the seconds hand cut down so that only the circle in the center remains to cover the post, then you can't see the ticking. I've done it to a few of my previous watches, both quartz and auto.
I've seen some of your previous work - looks bad a$$ - it would drive me crazy, though. I'm always timing sht :ugeek:
Use your phone? :shrug:

:lol: :mrgreen:
pffffttt.. I'd have to shave holes in my beard, buy skinny jeans and maybe buy a beret...Prly rather wear a watch.
VR/
Paul

NEVER SETTLE!

User avatar
JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Posts: 15240
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:30 pm
Name: Dave
Location: Canada

Re: Ares Watches

Post by JDC222 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:16 pm

abuemily wrote:Image
Finally got around to wearing mine—ticks a lot on boxes and will be my grab ‘n go, particularly while traveling. This is my first (non-digital) quartz, however, and I’ll have to get used to the second hand—mine actually misses every seconds marker.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Life-time warranty, just let Matt know!
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

User avatar
hoppyjr
HJ
Posts: 32464
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:05 am
Name: Hoppy
Location: Washington State

Re: Ares Watches

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:24 pm

deepcdvr wrote:
matt.wu wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:43 am
deepcdvr wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:20 am
matt.wu wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:14 am
abuemily wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:11 am
Finally got around to wearing mine—ticks a lot on boxes and will be my grab ‘n go, particularly while traveling. This is my first (non-digital) quartz, however, and I’ll have to get used to the second hand—mine actually misses every seconds marker.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have half a mind to get mine modded soon. I may have the seconds hand cut down so that only the circle in the center remains to cover the post, then you can't see the ticking. I've done it to a few of my previous watches, both quartz and auto.
I've seen some of your previous work - looks bad a$$ - it would drive me crazy, though. I'm always timing sht :ugeek:
Use your phone? :shrug:

:lol: :mrgreen:
pffffttt.. I'd have to shave holes in my beard, buy skinny jeans and maybe buy a beret...Prly rather wear a watch.
Would it be a green beret?

User avatar
Grahamcombat
Posts: 4322
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:24 pm
Name: Graham

Re: Ares Watches

Post by Grahamcombat » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:18 pm

abuemily wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:11 am
Image
Finally got around to wearing mine—ticks a lot on boxes and will be my grab ‘n go, particularly while traveling. This is my first (non-digital) quartz, however, and I’ll have to get used to the second hand—mine actually misses every seconds marker.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We can reposition the dial but it will most likely continue to miss some of them. All of them do and will. With the Ronda 715 and printed dials its the issue that not only I have, but every major manufacturer using the movement and others.

For me it was a design spec decision based on two factors and two factors only:

1. The function of a seconds hand on a diver is a proof of life indicator, so it missing the small marker by a fraction is acceptable because it is performing its bigger first job, and

2. The 10 year longevity. I'll trade a minutely precise quartz movement that burns energy to start and stop the second hand for a year or two for a watch that has a robust proof of life indicator and 10 year battery every time.

ARES has a 7 day return policy so ultimately, if it isn't your cup of tea, send it back.

User avatar
Johnnyspy
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:29 pm
Name: Matt Baily

Re: Ares Watches

Post by Johnnyspy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:26 pm

Well…reading this thread certainly has been interesting...

I've been impressed with the design appearance of the Diver-1, still curious about the choice of forgoing the date complication on the 715li. That being said I think I like that, particularly when the watch would be used as a diver. Less clutter on the watch face, and no cares about the date when diving, I suppose unless its a night gig. When working I don't often dive with a watch, however I'm going to make an exception with this one.

However out of curiosity, is there a limited number of Diver-1's that MG has available for sale? As in, has the demand already exhausted his current production run? I mean I ordered one anyway... but ya know, inquiring minds and such.
To be, Rather than to Seem.

User avatar
abuemily
Posts: 492
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:08 am
Name: Michael
Location: God's Country

Re: Ares Watches

Post by abuemily » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:31 pm

Grahamcombat wrote:
abuemily wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:11 am
Image
Finally got around to wearing mine—ticks a lot on boxes and will be my grab ‘n go, particularly while traveling. This is my first (non-digital) quartz, however, and I’ll have to get used to the second hand—mine actually misses every seconds marker.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We can reposition the dial but it will most likely continue to miss some of them. All of them do and will. With the Ronda 715 and printed dials its the issue that not only I have, but every major manufacturer using the movement and others.

For me it was a design spec decision based on two factors and two factors only:

1. The function of a seconds hand on a diver is a proof of life indicator, so it missing the small marker by a fraction is acceptable because it is performing its bigger first job, and

2. The 10 year longevity. I'll trade a minutely precise quartz movement that burns energy to start and stop the second hand for a year or two for a watch that has a robust proof of life indicator and 10 year battery every time.

ARES has a 7 day return policy so ultimately, if it isn't your cup of tea, send it back.
Oh, I figured that was the issue and it doesn’t really bother me (much). I knew going into this that it would probably miss the mark, so to speak, on the second hand. I dig the watch and for what I want(ed) it for it meets my needs—I have no intention of sending it back.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Posts: 10705
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:29 pm
Name: Paul

Re: Ares Watches

Post by deepcdvr » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:13 pm

Johnnyspy wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:26 pm
Well…reading this thread certainly has been interesting...

I've been impressed with the design appearance of the Diver-1, still curious about the choice of forgoing the date complication on the 715li. That being said I think I like that, particularly when the watch would be used as a diver. Less clutter on the watch face, and no cares about the date when diving, I suppose unless its a night gig. When working I don't often dive with a watch, however I'm going to make an exception with this one.

However out of curiosity, is there a limited number of Diver-1's that MG has available for sale? As in, has the demand already exhausted his current production run? I mean I ordered one anyway... but ya know, inquiring minds and such.
Welcome to DWC :cheers:

Sadly, I suspect this will be the kindest welcome you can expect around here..
VR/
Paul

NEVER SETTLE!

User avatar
JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Posts: 15240
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:30 pm
Name: Dave
Location: Canada

Re: Ares Watches

Post by JDC222 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:19 pm

deepcdvr wrote:
Johnnyspy wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:26 pm
Well…reading this thread certainly has been interesting...

I've been impressed with the design appearance of the Diver-1, still curious about the choice of forgoing the date complication on the 715li. That being said I think I like that, particularly when the watch would be used as a diver. Less clutter on the watch face, and no cares about the date when diving, I suppose unless its a night gig. When working I don't often dive with a watch, however I'm going to make an exception with this one.

However out of curiosity, is there a limited number of Diver-1's that MG has available for sale? As in, has the demand already exhausted his current production run? I mean I ordered one anyway... but ya know, inquiring minds and such.
Welcome to DWC :cheers:

Sadly, I suspect this will be the kindest welcome you can expect around here..
Not true, I sent him a welcome gift
...one that Terry once gave me...I’m sure that he’ll love it. ;)
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

User avatar
Johnnyspy
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:29 pm
Name: Matt Baily

Re: Ares Watches

Post by Johnnyspy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:28 pm

JDC222 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:19 pm
deepcdvr wrote:
Johnnyspy wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:26 pm
Well…reading this thread certainly has been interesting...

I've been impressed with the design appearance of the Diver-1, still curious about the choice of forgoing the date complication on the 715li. That being said I think I like that, particularly when the watch would be used as a diver. Less clutter on the watch face, and no cares about the date when diving, I suppose unless its a night gig. When working I don't often dive with a watch, however I'm going to make an exception with this one.

However out of curiosity, is there a limited number of Diver-1's that MG has available for sale? As in, has the demand already exhausted his current production run? I mean I ordered one anyway... but ya know, inquiring minds and such.
Welcome to DWC :cheers:

Sadly, I suspect this will be the kindest welcome you can expect around here..
Not true, I sent him a welcome gift
...one that Terry once gave me...I’m sure that he’ll love it. ;)
haha thank you , Glad to be here, but I buckled up for safety just to be sure...
To be, Rather than to Seem.

User avatar
andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Posts: 13834
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:04 pm
Name: William Drayton, Jr.
Location: Gone

Re: Ares Watches

Post by andrema » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:45 pm

Wow... I’ve been away for a bit, but that Eric guy is a prick.
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests