Maranez

Discussion of microbrand watches
snootydog
Jagermaster
Name: Andy

Maranez

Post by snootydog » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:15 am

I've wanted a yellow dial Doxa for years but can't justify paying the price for a new one and even used ones are out of my price range. So recently I stumbled across Maranez again and in particular the Samui. They call it an homage but come on, it's all but a blatant copy.
Still, I like it a lot and years ago I remember a lot of talk about this model on other forums. There was a lot of talk and some evidence that the case was made at the same factory and was in fact the same case that Doxa use.
Looking at it closely I wouldn't be at all surprised if Doxa didn't use more than the case from the same place Maranez gets theirs. The yellow is out of stock right now so I've got plenty of time to hear your thoughts on this one before I take the plunge.

Andy :uj:

dnslater
Name: Nick

Re: Maranez

Post by dnslater » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:09 am

Total rip off IMHO, but I take a hard line on “homages” and get that others may not.

r.palace

Maranez

Post by r.palace » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:47 am

Damn near 1:1 except for the name on the dial. Hard pass.
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:00 am

yeah, that's not an homage. that's replacing the logo.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:21 am

Like the others, I have a hard time getting on board with this one. Way, way too close in design to be labeled as an “homage” imho.

snootydog
Jagermaster

Post by snootydog » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:26 pm

Yes I see your point fellas. If it's true that both Doxa & Maranez use the same case, which is the homage? :lol:
There sure isn't much difference between them in looks.

Same could be said for the Rolex and very popular Steinhart.

CarloDWC
Name: Carlo

Post by CarloDWC » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:01 pm

It looks like they (Maranez) changed the shape of the hands... it used to be different. I prefer the older one at least it is not an exact copy... And anyway, I never liked the skinny hour hand... :grin:

But the case is great and one can fit a Seiko dial/hands... :lol:

IMG_4087.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by CarloDWC on Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Axelay2003
Name: Gerard

Post by Axelay2003 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:56 pm

r.palace wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:47 am
Damn near 1:1 except for the name on the dial. Hard pass.
Also the mirror shine outer part of the bezel.
It's a beautiful world! Gerald.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:09 pm

I would have to pass on it. i do not think the case is the same. it looks like the crown cutout is different. doxa's case isn't revolutionary so it should be super east to copy.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:01 pm

Buy what you like, but I’d pass, then again I’m not a homage guy either..

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:40 pm

It’s not the same case. It’s very similar obviously, but not the same, just a cheap copy. (Much like the Steinhart example, it’s not the same at all).
Care is actually different and not as round, bezel is different, bracelet completely different.

It has the roughly same look, but won’t have the same quality or feel.

My opinion- you won’t be happy with it.
Stash away $150 a month and in a year you can have the doxa, or look for one preowned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

snootydog
Jagermaster

Post by snootydog » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:40 pm

tattoo chef wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:40 pm
It’s not the same case. It’s very similar obviously, but not the same, just a cheap copy. (Much like the Steinhart example, it’s not the same at all).
Care is actually different and not as round, bezel is different, bracelet completely different.

It has the roughly same look, but won’t have the same quality or feel.

My opinion- you won’t be happy with it.
Stash away $150 a month and in a year you can have the doxa, or look for one preowned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The case is definitely different in the pics I showed but Doxa has used various different cases on the Divingstar. Years ago there was some evidence that the Doxa & Maranez case were one and the same at the time. I'm sure Mike will remember that story and whether it was true or not.
The bezel & crown are not exact copies of the Doxa and inside it has a Seiko movement so all in all not the quality of a Doxa but a lookalike at a fraction of the price. No worse than some of the Seiko Soxa's out there.

snootydog
Jagermaster

Post by snootydog » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:21 am

Interesting take on it by Dr. Peter McClean Millar

https://www.doxa300t.com/maranez/maranez.htm

hobbit712
Name: Steve

Post by hobbit712 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:38 am

snootydog wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:21 am
Interesting take on it by Dr. Peter McClean Millar

https://www.doxa300t.com/maranez/maranez.htm
Good article.
https://watchidiotsavants3.godaddysites.com/
instagram @watchidiotsavants

Chase after the dream, don't chase after the money

hobbit712
Name: Steve

Post by hobbit712 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:45 am

It looks like they have changed the hands to more resemble the Doxa ones. The orange one in the article has pointed ends. Also I was curious about the different colors. All models appear to be sold out except the black one.
https://watchidiotsavants3.godaddysites.com/
instagram @watchidiotsavants

Chase after the dream, don't chase after the money

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:25 am

I'm a buy what you like / wear what you like kind of person. For $400 you get a fun summertime beater that puts a smile on your face. We could all use some of that right now.

Where it makes sense to me is picking one up in a unique color, like turquoise or the bright yellow. Those choices would certainly fit in the "occasionally wear" category for me and would likely be snagged by either my wife or daughter eventually anyway.

I'd be way more happy to share the $400 Maranez with my 14 year old kid than a nearly $2K Doxa.

That said, if I really ended up liking the style, I would definitely save up for the Doxa. Homages tend to be just a stepping stone to the authentic article for me, and ultimately I could've owned the authentic version sooner if I had just not bought the homage.

WatchOut63
Name: Jim

Post by WatchOut63 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:05 am

New guy on the block. Been around for many years but took a hiatus and getting back into the game. I've had the itch for a Doxa for some time myself but couldn't justify the price in my head. I also came across Maranez awhile back and have a turquoise model on the way. Hopefully it will scratch my itch. It seems they build in batches so keep an eye out for the next batch if you're still interested.

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:38 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:25 am
I'm a buy what you like / wear what you like kind of person. For $400 you get a fun summertime beater that puts a smile on your face. We could all use some of that right now.
Same.

I'd go so far as to buy a Chinese fake AP before buying the real deal for $$$$$$, just to see if it wore well, because it's my f-ing money and I don't give a crap what you think.

sierra11b
Name: Eric

Post by sierra11b » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:39 pm

snootydog wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:26 pm
Yes I see your point fellas. If it's true that both Doxa & Maranez use the same case, which is the homage? :lol:

I always wondered why Steinhart keeps getting passes. Just because it's bigger and doesn't have a cyclops? And we all know it's not just Steinhart.

WatchOut63

Post by WatchOut63 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:51 am

It'd be nice to see side by side comparison pictures from someone who owns both or can find the same colors in the same orientation of both. This side by side comparison looks like a yellow dial Maranez actual watch vs a yellow dialed Doxa illustration. The steel tone and finishing's are totally different.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:05 am

sierra11b wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:39 pm
snootydog wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:26 pm

I always wondered why Steinhart keeps getting passes. Just because it's bigger and doesn't have a cyclops? And we all know it's not just Steinhart.
It's a good question that I've wondered about. If I had to guess, it's a couple of reasons. First, there are so many Rolex homages and outright fakes out there, it's just not worth Rolex's time to play whack-a-mole. I guess they'd rather sue some poor schlep for his "milsub" trademark. :grin:

Second, the practical concern with trademark infringement is that it cheapens the brand. So, if you look at something like a fake Ralph Lauren polo that can be bought for $10 instead of $80, there's a small enough margin (and small enough dollars) that I'm sure plenty of folks who could afford the real thing opt for the fake. Thus, I could see RL doing what it could to squash the market for fakes. But with something like Rolex vs. Steinhart or any one of a number of homages, the margin is so wide between the homage and Rolex that Rolex may just not worry about its brand being cheapened or about anyone mistaking a Steinhart, etc. for the real thing. Generally (of course there are exceptions) people buying a Steinhart aren't the same people walking into a Rolex AD and plunking down thousands.

gonzomantis
Name: Mike

Post by gonzomantis » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:19 am

sierra11b wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:39 pm
I have wondered the same thing. Upon further reflection, the Steinhart is an homage to something not currently available, so people may be more willing to understand why a collector would have one.

WatchOut63

Post by WatchOut63 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:42 am

Well looky here. From HK to my home in MI in 2 days. Hell I can't even get USPS to deliver from Detroit to my house an hour away in that time. :mrgreen:

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:14 am

Andy, am going to put a vote in for you picking this one up sir. :grin: :thumbsup:

I mean it's not easy finding a nice homage to these, and these seem
to look really nice. Plus there are a few changes between the bezel,
and dial that change things up as well. So you could have this one to
enjoy on the wrist, and then years from now try out a Doxa. Or not.
Either way It would be fun to at least try out, and you seem to want
to try one Andy. :)

snootydog
Jagermaster

Post by snootydog » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:19 pm

Tom, had you forgotten I actually own two Doxa's? Much as I love both of them I really couldn't justify paying current prices for another one. I remember the Doxa company being described as two guys sitting on orange boxes in a basement somewhere :lol: i have no idea if they've improved but they seem way overpriced these days.
I've searched high and low for a yellow dial watch and this is the only one that ticks the boxes for me. I did once have a really nice yellow dial Tutima but the hands blended in with the dial too much and it took more than a quick glance to see the time so it had to go.