A Really OG Micro Brand From The Past

Discussion of microbrand watches
namor
Name: Seth

A Really OG Micro Brand From The Past

Post by namor » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:09 pm

Does anyone remember Ken Sato and his RXW / ROCKX brand? He made extremely high quality replicas of hard to find Rolexes, Tudors, and Marina Militaire watches. They used 316 steel, ETA 2824-2 movements, were built in Europe, and usually had fanatically close attention to detail. They were distinct enough never to be confused with the genuine article. Here is one of his pieces (photo taken from the internet)
comex1.jpg
As you can see, he tended to combine traits that were from more than one watch - the mythical Tudor sub with exaggerated crown guard paired with a COMEX sub dial, topped with a domed crystal. But the small things - triplock crown, proper bezel font, exacting handset - are all very well done. They sold in very limited editions, sometimes only 40 or 50 of a model, and it was as much a labor of love as an effort to turn a profit. Before the explosion of micros making watches of all sorts and all levels of quality, Kens Trading (his place on Tokyo's Ginza) released some high grade stuff to a select few in the WIS world.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
www.usmcscoutsniper.org - Life Member
“Qualified to deport with denizens of the deep, mermaids, and other inhabitants of the realm of Neptune.”

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Re: A Really OG Micro Brand From The Past

Post by Chocodove » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:28 pm

Wow...blast from the past. I’ll admit I owned Two MM20’s back in the day. Must have been around 2004-2005. If anyone recalls The Big Watch Forum, that was where to go to talk/buy. This was when I was just starting to dabble in decent watches and TZ was still kinda cool.
- Todd

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:33 pm

I remember that his Panerai “homage” had to be discontinued because of litigation with Panerai.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:05 pm

I remember him and his watches. They were of a nice quality especially back then. I heard a rumor he passed away a while back. But it might not have been true.

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:51 am

Oh yeah, awesome Seth ! :headbang: Nothing cookie cutter about those
watches, or any of Mr. Sato's creations. Classics, but with some added
extra attitude, and character. ..Some original micro brand magic really.

Thank you sir !

gr8sw
Name: Pedro

Post by gr8sw » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:51 am

‘I don’t worry about a thing, 'cause I know nothing’s gonna be alright’ Mose Allison