Discussion of microbrand watches
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Serica Watches

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:54 pm

https://www.serica-watches.com/
https://gearpatrol.com/2019/06/11/seric ... own-watch/

The “Wrist Watch Waterproof” specification, watches made under which have colloquially become known as “The Dirty Dozen” after the number of manufactures involved (and in reference to one of the most badass WWII films ever made), is a favorite of military watch collectors. Ironically not produced until mid-1945 to replace several other sub-standard military watches then in use by British forces (including the Army Trade Pattern watches), most of the “W.W.W.” watches likely never saw combat in WWII, though some were later repurposed and recirculated to other Commonwealth nations.

Serica is a new watch brand set up by four friends, including Matt Hranek, author of A Man & His Watch, and founder of the WM Brown Project blog. The four friends decided to produce a new watch based on the famed “W.W.W.” design in order to fill a perceived hole in the market for “a modern, affordable, and resistant watch that possesses genuine elegance.”

The Wrist. Watch. Waterproof. WM Brown Edition watch is available in two dial colors (black or white) and two hand sets (alpha or broad arrow) for $540 exclusive of import taxes, with the first 429 of 500 pieces scheduled for September 2019 delivery, and the following 1,071 pieces (depending, it seems, on how many are ordered) scheduled for December 2019 delivery. Interestingly, there’s an option to pay in a 3-installment payment plan.

The Serica W.W.W. features a 37.4mm steel case with a 20mm lug width and a 10.85mm thickness (including the domed mineral glass). It utilized a screw-in crown and steel case back and a lacquered black or white dial with painted numerals and Super LumiNova lume. The customer has the option for either an alpha or broad arrow hour hand and a dauphine minute hand, and the watch will be powered by either the ETA 2801 or Sellita SW210-1 manual-winding movement with 42 hours of power reserve, depending on availability. Water resistance is 100m, and available straps include smooth calfskin leather in Camel or Black and a nylon NATO G10. There are also several other strap choices available on the Serica site.

The idea of owning an original vintage military watch is an attractive one, so long as one can afford to maintain and service it. For those searching for a military aesthetic but who don’t want to deal with the hassle of a vintage, possibly problematic watch, the Serica W.W.W. WM Brown Edition seems like a solid alternative.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gonzomantis
Name: Mike

Re: Serica Watches

Post by gonzomantis » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:27 am

Nice, but screw in crown with manual wind, and mineral crystal are detractors.

stonehead887
Name: Jeremy

Post by stonehead887 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:49 am

These are nice looking watches
I like the case and hands. Dial is also good but then I may as well save myself a few $$ and buy a Hamilton Khaki

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:40 am

gonzomantis wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:27 am
I agree. Probably were shooting for a thin case and couldn’t make a self winding movement fit?

gonzomantis
Name: Mike

Post by gonzomantis » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:10 am

dnslater wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:40 am
gonzomantis wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:27 am
I agree. Probably were shooting for a thin case and couldn’t make a self winding movement fit?
I don't think the military spec included a screw-down crown. I think it would have been better without that, and with a sapphire or plexi crystal.

CarloDWC
Name: Carlo

Post by CarloDWC » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:35 am

Very nice looking but a little small and with such thick bezel it will wear even smaller. And yeah, hand winding the screw down is an invitation to stripped threads.

For the price it could also have a sapphire crystal.