Christopher Ward

Discussion of microbrand watches
Superbri22

Christopher Ward

Post by Superbri22 » Wed May 01, 2019 1:28 pm

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the new Tridents by CW? Looking to make my first purchase of one. First I wanted the c65 red/blue bezel but now I’m torn with the new 600 Pro, blue. Love them all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Christopher Ward

Post by JDC222 » Wed May 01, 2019 2:18 pm

Definitely not a watch that I would spend $1000 on. I think of CW as a “fashion watch”, like Michael Kors, Fossil or Nixon...

...but then, I was always taught that if you can’t say anything nice...

Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

Ruggs
Name: Andrew

Re: Christopher Ward

Post by Ruggs » Wed May 01, 2019 3:11 pm

JDC222 wrote:Definitely not a watch that I would spend $1000 on. I think of CW as a “fashion watch”, like Michael Kors, Fossil or Nixon...

...but then, I was always taught that if you can’t say anything nice...
I think they’re definitely a step above that in terms of quality and design. It’s little things, like they’ve had a nice glidelock style micro adjustable clasp before any other micro brand did, they don’t skimp on materials (ceramics, great lume, etc), or specs (they didn’t have to go to 600meters on their diver) and they have a decently original design language that might not appeal to everyone but for the most part aren’t photocopy ‘homages’ either. Not to mention that their customer service is very good. They don’t have the underdog appeal of a Halios or Nodus, but they’re also operating at a much larger scale and don’t have pre order drama or super limited runs.

I think they’ve devalued themselves a bit with the frequency that they have sales, but I’ve owned a couple and would put the quality on par with Oris or maybe Monta. I think if you like the designs you won’t be disappointed with the quality, especially considering the price.

As respects the new design, I like it overall. I like the hands better than the old spoon knife and fork. The detail on the sides of the case and the fully lumed bezels are nice touches. The new sizes are an improvement as well, although it looks like these are a bit thicker than the previous iteration.

rhorya

Re: Christopher Ward

Post by rhorya » Thu May 02, 2019 7:09 am

With all the talk and hype about the new Chris Ward Tridents I had to pull out this beauty. The CW C60 Trident Day Date COSC 600. Only 200 of these were offered in 2017.

At 43mm x 13.85mm I know it’s bigger than what a lot of people like, but a COSC 2836 in a dive watch rated for 600 meters for only $1100 was a steal!

This is such an elegant watch I wear it as a dress watch. The new ones don’t much appeal to me as being that unique. I think the biggest appeal was the tear shaped hour hand which was iconic with the CW watches. Now they gave that up, and while the watches are nicely detailed and good amount of specs I have a hard time seeing anything that tops this.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro