New Member introduction

Discussion of microbrand watches
Watchpassion
Name: Amin

New Member introduction

Post by Watchpassion » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:12 pm

hello Members, i would like to introduce myself, I am Amin from Auckland, New Zealand, i have been a avid microbrand follower and collector, the prospect of backing a microbrand is very exciting to the point that i have at least 5 micros that i haven't worn yet, i love brands like straton, meccaniche venizianne, xerric, Ferro, draken and Maen and i respect a lot of well established micros out there like NTH, Aveig, Borealis, Hemel etc, i think the founders are very passionate about their brand and do a great job keeping their offerings fresh and exciting.

Me and my brother are in the process of launching our very own microbrand in the next few months and i hope that i get an opportunity to make some friends here, learn more about watches and be a part of this vibrant community.

AMIN

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Re: New Member introduction

Post by matt.wu » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:17 pm

I’m always curious to understand the thought process in starting your own watch brand these days. What is compelling about the brand you’re looking to start vs. what’s already out there?

Not putting you down; I’m genuinely curious to hear the thought process.
:htfu:

Watchpassion

Post by Watchpassion » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:24 pm

As an entrepreneur i could see a gap in the market to offer watches at price point that would appeal to buyers out there and make a profit in doing so, on a personal level it is the challenge to create something tangible and attach your name to it and work you heart out to make it a successful venture and get appreciation for it. A journey you undertake to self develop an learn a new trade or a skill and believe me i have learnt a lot and there is lot more to discover and learn. a very intriguing and a fascinating journey.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:29 pm

Study Bill Yao's business plan. The guy is a fucking genius.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:34 pm

Welcome to DWC and good luck with your business venture :cheers:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Post by JDC222 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:36 pm

For those who may have missed Amin's grand entrance...He posted his new Kickstarter watch, as though he had just been fortunate enough to discover it on the World Wide Web. He loved the size and design! If I recall correctly, it was a dive watch called the Shill Swindler...

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=66363

You will be hard pressed to slide something passed this group Amin....there's no place for that here. :hand:
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

Watchpassion

Post by Watchpassion » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:40 pm

yeah a botched up grand entrance that don't go down well, apologies, but would like to start afresh.

Champagne InHand

Post by Champagne InHand » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:48 pm

Watchpassion wrote:yeah a botched up grand entrance that don't go down well, apologies, but would like to start afresh.
And he should be able to.

Who else is going to introduce you product for free.

I can’t find the exact movement that you use in the watch though.

If you could elaborate this would be very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watchpassion

Post by Watchpassion » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:55 pm

current prototypes feature a miyota 8215, our intention was to use a solid reliable japanese movement to keep the costs down, as i understand there are availability issues for miyota 9015 and 6 month lead time for unmarked malaysian made nh35, japanese made NH35 is about 8 months wait. our intention is to offer a swiss movement upgrade option as well but we are still waiting to get some details back from the supplier.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

New Member introduction

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:04 pm

Champagne InHand wrote:
Watchpassion wrote:yeah a botched up grand entrance that don't go down well, apologies, but would like to start afresh.

You’re not exactly in a position to tell us what should and shouldn’t be allowed. We are not fans of you folks in the “rep” community.

ImageImage

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:21 pm

Champagne InHand wrote:

Not a good look when the four watch forums you follow on Tapatalk are WUS and three sites for counterfeits.
- Todd

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:33 pm

Champagne InHand wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:48 pm

Shove that Champagne up your ass :thumbsup:

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:48 pm

Another welcoming DWC thread

DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:18 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:48 pm
Another welcoming DWC thread

IMHO, these are not the people that deserve a welcome.
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:31 pm

BBK357 wrote:Another welcoming DWC thread

The OP only joined to shill his upcoming kickstarter microbrand. The second guy is a rep dork.

You really want them welcomed?

Champagne InHand

Post by Champagne InHand » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:43 pm

Chocodove wrote:
Champagne InHand wrote:

Not a good look when the four watch forums you follow on Tapatalk are WUS and three sites for counterfeits.
The rep sites have good watchmaking information. You don’t know me. I am an Eagle Scout. A Veteran Combat Medic that served in war and peace in the US Army. I’m medically retired and grow wine grapes.

What’s your resume/background.

Is this forum not open to various opinions and hobbies. That’s a real bad attitude to presume you know somebody to look up their tapatalk sites. You didn’t mention I have 4-5 Jeep sites, a puff cigar/pipe forum.

I’ll bet I could stand in a courtroom or pass any government background check that you could.

Don’t be so presumptive.

I’m just saying the guy should have the same ability to introduce his Microbrand hopefully as much as anybody else.

If you have a problem with that, you best go look in the mirror and see what’s inside you that makes you so able to judge with very little knowledge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Champagne InHand

New Member introduction

Post by Champagne InHand » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:46 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Champagne InHand wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:48 pm

Shove that Champagne up your ass :thumbsup:
I would love to see you try it. I grow wine grapes South of Lake Ontario in upstate NY.

What a rude comment. Didn’t your parents teach you manners and give unknown people the benefit of doubt. Clearly the guy screwed up, but haven’t we all at one point or another and deserve a second chance.

I love these youttype comments that I would love to see you try to make face to face.

No class.

Last edited by Champagne InHand on Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Champagne InHand

Post by Champagne InHand » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:49 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
BBK357 wrote:Another welcoming DWC thread

The OP only joined to shill his upcoming kickstarter microbrand. The second guy is a rep dork.

You really want them welcomed?
You know us personally? I don’t think so. Why all the hostility. Sounds like you might have some issues to talk over with a professional.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:56 pm

Champagne InHand wrote:
Chocodove wrote:
Champagne InHand wrote:

The rep sites have good watchmaking information. You don’t know me. I am an Eagle Scout. A Veteran Combat Medic that served in war and peace in the US Army. I’m medically retired and grow wine grapes.

Is this forum not open to various opinions and hobbies. That’s a real bad attitude to presume you know somebody to look up their tapatalk sites. You didn’t mention I have 4-5 Jeep sites, a puff cigar/pipe forum.

I’ll bet I could stand in a courtroom or pass any government background check that you could.

Don’t be so presumptive.

I’m just saying the guy should have the same ability to introduce his Microbrand hopefully as much as anybody else.

If you have a problem with that, you best go look in the mirror and see what’s inside you that makes you so able to judge with very little knowledge.

We speak freely here and a resume isn’t a prerequisite. You’re awfully arrogant for someone who doesn’t participate or contribute to the forum.

I’ll be a presumptive as I choose. Watchmaking information can be found in places other than forums that cater to counterfeit goods.

Don’t bother to reply, I just don’t care enough to debate you.

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Post by blkgsl » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:03 pm

Watchpassion wrote:As an entrepreneur i could see a gap in the market to offer watches at price point that would appeal to buyers out there and make a profit in doing so, on a personal level it is the challenge to create something tangible and attach your name to it and work you heart out to make it a successful venture and get appreciation for it. A journey you undertake to self develop an learn a new trade or a skill and believe me i have learnt a lot and there is lot more to discover and learn. a very intriguing and a fascinating journey.
Can you elaborate on the market gap ? Namely, which segment of the market do you see your offering fitting in, and why the other brands with offerings at a similar price point are not competitors? Genuine question, because it seems like there are mechanical watches at every logical pricing interval from $100 and up.

manitoujoe
Name: Mark

Post by manitoujoe » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:11 pm

Wine grapes

Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:49 pm

Champagne InHand wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:43 pm
Chocodove wrote:
Champagne InHand wrote:

Don’t be so presumptive.

So, if I joined your wine grape forum and started spouting off about how your grapes were grown, the poor quality and taste and how mine were better etc....but, I apologized and asked for a do-over...cool?

As Ed has mentioned, there is nothing "above board" about a fake watch forum and anything to do with fake watches is not welcomed here.

With only 28 posts in almost 2 years, all we can do is presume, as your limited participation has not allowed us to know otherwise.

All opinions are welcomed here but when you say "as he should be able to" and "who else is going to introduce you product for free", when he tried to sneak in an advertisement, pretending that he was a fan, not the owner of the Kickstarter project.

I hope this clarifies the reaction to your comments.
Winston Churchill.

Champagne InHand

Post by Champagne InHand » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:38 am

JDC222 wrote:
Champagne InHand wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:43 pm
Chocodove wrote:
Champagne InHand wrote:

Don’t be so presumptive.

So, if I joined your wine grape forum and started spouting off about how your grapes were grown, the poor quality and taste and how mine were better etc....but, I apologized and asked for a do-over...cool?

As Ed has mentioned, there is nothing "above board" about a fake watch forum and anything to do with fake watches is not welcomed here.

With only 28 posts in almost 2 years, all we can do is presume, as your limited participation has not allowed us to know otherwise.

All opinions are welcomed here but when you say "as he should be able to" and "who else is going to introduce you product for free", when he tried to sneak in an advertisement, pretending that he was a fan, not the owner of the Kickstarter project.

I hope this clarifies the reaction to your comments.
Presume is to assume. I’m just saying hit the guy with real questions rather than group think and run him off when we put all the other microbrands up.

Yes, I only subscribe to the microbrand section. I don’t participate tins on any forums. I read anywhere I can build a knowledge base.

Acting like a snobby clique isn’t any way for positive communication nor is going after the first person that says okay, you screwed the pick on your first couple of posts. Badly.

He apologized and asked for a redo.

Is that so bad? How many others admit their screw up and actually try to come back for the tar and feathering, just to try to clarify?

Very few.

I see sir high and mighty from WA state believes he is above it all. I’m just curious as to what part of WA State do you call home. I lived twice in the Puget Sound area next to sub base Bangor but worked mostly in the hospitals of Seattle. A beautiful place for diving or many water sports.

Well our NZ based friend clearly messed up and found out the ugly side of Internet forums.

It will be interesting if he tries to come back and supply any answers to the legit questions asked.

But let’s not be ugly American stereotypes. I fought too hard against this for the better part of my life. Within the states and outside North America.

I know I was young and ignorant once upon a time and botched a few things. I just think after an apology or two we give him benefit of doubt as a person and grill him on the specifics rather than beat the dead horse as admin quickly removed his pitch.

Champagne InHand

Post by Champagne InHand » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:55 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Champagne InHand wrote:
Chocodove wrote:
Champagne InHand wrote:

Don’t be so presumptive.

We speak freely here and a resume isn’t a prerequisite.

“You’re awfully arrogant “

for someone who doesn’t participate or contribute to the forum.

I’ll be a presumptive as I choose. Watchmaking information can be found in places other than forums that cater to counterfeit goods.

Don’t bother to reply, I just don’t care enough to debate you.

That’s the pot calling the kettle black. It’s easy to feel defensive when attacked for asking that we try to give a guy a chance to explain himself.

Lastly strap makers are also easier to contact via rep sites besides the watchmaking. They do actually have Gen forums and trade and are quite interested in Legitimate micro brands because most of the reps are rubbish and cost more than a decent Seiko.

But if you are fine with ignoring something you dislike, well let’s just be glad you aren’t a leader or military strategist.

It’s funny that in America it was okay to steal and publicly use all of the Cuban cigar marcas, with little debate, minus those of us who actually enjoy good cigars. It’s a double edged sword and looking st it from only one perspective in silly.

If you are buying old wine or watches, provenance is everything as counterfeiting is everywhere and not only are the Chinese very good at it. Best to know from those who tear apart fakes every little detail.

Frankly we have done this multiple times at the Jewelry shop my best buds family owns. His dad is a young 82 and was born into a watchmaking family. He was trained in both Italy and France, but he and his watchmaking father fled post war Italy and spent 3 years in Venezuela. When Jerry, the watchmaker, got his chance to come to the states, he took it, over the objection of his father who wanted him to do more training in post way West Germany.

This was a project we did this week for a buddy of mine in NYC.

Restoring a 1999 Datejust to full COSC chronometer status.

It’s always fun to spend time with a master watchmaker. His skills are brilliant.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:36 am

This is going so well.

Seriously though as Matt and Zack have already asked, there are more micros than rats at a city dump. Everyone thinks they can order a 100 watches from China, call it something like Spine Cracker Deep Cavity and call themselves a watch company.