Seaforth GMT tomorrow

Discussion of microbrand watches
User avatar
Seppia
Posts: 4454
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 5:06 pm
Name: Andrea
Location: Italia

Seaforth GMT tomorrow

Post by Seppia » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:14 pm

BSears wrote:
dukerules wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:11 am
I don't understand why people think they are entitled to buy a watch, just because they have the desire and the money to own said watch. That's not how the world works sometimes. Also, people getting upset because a sales model is not to their liking makes me chuckle.
I haven’t read all comments yet but this ^^^ is exactly what I’ve been thinking as I’ve read thru thus far. I keep waiting to hear some horror story, but I’m not seeing it. So only 100 watches of a particular color/style were available, but 4,000 people were vying for them? That’s called supply/demand and is every bit if capitalism. Maybe some of you (or maybe none of you but plenty of others) are super duper butt hurt because your belief is that everyone should get one is just not how the world works. My suggestion is start the refresh screen game on watch recon or the various and sundry sales fora.
Next time anybody complains about something I’m going to call you entitled and butt hurt.
This whole “whohoho you young kids have to learn you don’t get everything you want” is idiotic.

I am stating an opinion on something that’s happening.
Are all the people complaining about Rolex grey dealers selling for above msrp “entitled and butt hurt”?

Or maybe is it that they just see something they don’t like about whats going on in a specific segment of the watch world and they comment about it in this watch comment forum?

Are we all butt hurt entitled people when we discuss and trash MKII sales practices?

No, we just express an opinion on what’s going on.
It’s a watch forum, we talk about watches passionately because we are passionate.

User avatar
BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Posts: 19201
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:22 pm
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Re: Seaforth GMT tomorrow

Post by BSears » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:21 pm

So if just anybody complains, you’re going to say I’m butt hurt? That’s a whole lot of non sequitur going on but sure, whatever, just make sure you at least preface it “With all due respect...”.

Anyway, yeah, you all that are whining about missing out on the purchase are pretty much acting like whiners. Not all of you, but some of you. And maybe not necessarily you, but it certainly seems like it’s you. That’s a lot of you’s

And this is absolutely NOTHING like MKII. Not even close. Not even the same ballpark, league, or sport! But nice try there.

Is this all we have to discuss today folks? Listen, I’ve been hit and miss on the dee dub for the last year, with spotty and random posts. I’ll just say for now that life has gotten...difficult. So if I seem callous, I don’t intend to be. Perhaps straightforward is more appropriate. Nonetheless, there’s just been a lot I’m putting in perspective so when I see folks upset because they didn’t get to buy one of Jason’s watches on this last batch, I don’t have a whole lot of pity. Jason is good folk, and I remember fondly my first Halios way back in the day. The GMT is a great looking watch, and is obviously quite popular. So with that, I’ll leave this discussion with good luck Jason, best wishes for success!
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

Image

RIP Rocky (8/15/05-11/25/16)

User avatar
Seppia
Posts: 4454
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 5:06 pm
Name: Andrea
Location: Italia

Seaforth GMT tomorrow

Post by Seppia » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:41 pm

BSears wrote:So if just anybody complains, you’re going to say I’m butt hurt? That’s a whole lot of non sequitur going on but sure, whatever, just make sure you at least preface it “With all due respect...”.
Oh come on
English is not my native language, you understood what I meant
BSears wrote: Anyway, yeah, you all that are whining about missing out on the purchase are pretty much acting like whiners. Not all of you, but some of you. And maybe not necessarily you, but it certainly seems like it’s you. That’s a lot of you’s
I’m so butt hurt that I didn’t even try to buy one.
BSears wrote: And this is absolutely NOTHING like MKII. Not even close. Not even the same ballpark, league, or sport! But nice try there.
That’s not at all what I said. I don’t think anything got lost in translation on this, read again.
I’m not at all equating the two.
BSears wrote: Listen, I’ve been hit and miss on the dee dub for the last year, with spotty and random posts. I’ll just say for now that life has gotten...difficult. So if I seem callous, I don’t intend to be. Perhaps straightforward is more appropriate. Nonetheless, there’s just been a lot I’m putting in perspective so when I see folks upset because they didn’t get to buy one of Jason’s watches on this last batch, I don’t have a whole lot of pity.
I’m very sorry you’re having a tough time, but if you go around calling people whiners and butt hurt, I would expect you can deal with some amount of push back and straight forwardness as well?

I like this place precisely because users don’t put on gloves when expressing their opinions, but it has to go both ways or it isn’t fun anymore.

:cheers:

paipanic
Founder and Owner of Halios Watches
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:50 pm

Re: Seaforth GMT tomorrow

Post by paipanic » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:07 pm

Thank you Andrea! I appreciate it. And I absolutely respect that you took the time to write your opinion. All points are always taken with ZERO butthurt. There's no way in the world to get this level of insight, even if I paid big bucks for it (NO, I'm not going to start paying you guys for telling me I effed up). I just don't like being called names, but that's my weird thing.

Dave, I was just kidding. I'd otherwise let the conversation flow unobstructed, but I thought I'd jump in and try to muddle through an explanation. And to tell Andrea he hurted my feelings.
I don't see your name on the list.

User avatar
Rob.B
Posts: 349
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:34 pm
Name: Rob
Location: UK

Re: Seaforth GMT tomorrow

Post by Rob.B » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:32 pm

There was always going to be disappointment for people who missed out... The instagram posts off some people were embarrassing...Grown men throwing all there toys out of the pram. You can please some of the people some of the time but you can’t please all of the people all of the time...In my opinion I think the business ethos is perfect for a one man band... Watches come up for sale... They all sell quickly... Money in the bank... Move on to the next project with your own money to finance it. The hype is made among the forums mainly WUS and Jason just has to run with it. I’m sure he never would have expected the success of the Seaforth he just has to go with the flow keeping true to himself and trying to please everyone which is a fine line... Now I’m not saying anyone’s opinion is wrong or right... This is just my own personal take on it...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User avatar
ericf4
(TBD) Penis
Posts: 14436
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:04 am
Contact:

Re: Seaforth GMT tomorrow

Post by ericf4 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:35 pm

BSears wrote:
ericf4 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:55 am
Very cool Jason posted here, that said the whole scenario is a joke. For me, I tried twice and struck out twice. Now I'm done. I gave it a shot. I've never owned a halios and now won't buy one unless it's from a flip as I won't waste my time again on a terrible buying process.

I tend to agree w above comment that Jason knows what he's doing, this isn't the first nor last time this will happen. As such, he will get lots written about his brand. Loved, hated but never ignored sort of scenario it seems.

Shame as as there are plenty of well qualified buyers like me new to the brand who he's pushing away with experiences like this. But, it doesn't matter as the frenzy created will sustain his needs. He doesn't need me or other new clients. He can sell 100 watches a pop with his eyes closed, a terrible buying process etc. Hey, all I can say is I tried, it didn't work and my money goes elsewhere. All good.





Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Wtf is a “well qualified buyer”?? Are you leasing or financing? Oh you mean you could easily spend several hundred dollars on a different luxury item instead of this but tried (twice) to buy this luxury item? That is a pretty douchy statement if I’ve ever read/heard one.
Good to hear from you in typical Brad style. What I meant was that many micros are in the low hundreds and I saw a post where perhaps Jason felt that the higher price would weed people out. My comment was simply about buyers who are ready willing and able. As far as me being douchey, well Brad I'm sure you and I are still very opposite one another. And I'm good with that. Welcome back.



Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk




Last edited by ericf4 on Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
CGSshorty
Admin
Posts: 30848
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Re: Seaforth GMT tomorrow

Post by CGSshorty » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:49 pm

It was cool of Jason to send free GMTs to each of the DWC Admins. Thanks again, Jason.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

User avatar
r.palace
Posts: 6534
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:36 pm
Location: Tray-O-Five

Re: Seaforth GMT tomorrow

Post by r.palace » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:59 pm

CGSshorty wrote:It was cool of Jason to send free GMTs to each of the DWC Admins. Thanks again, Jason.
Boom
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

User avatar
CGSshorty
Admin
Posts: 30848
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Re: Seaforth GMT tomorrow

Post by CGSshorty » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:00 pm

r.palace wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:It was cool of Jason to send free GMTs to each of the DWC Admins. Thanks again, Jason.
Boom
He’s really a great guy. No matter what Andrea says.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

User avatar
Panerai7
Posts: 14561
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm
Name: Art
Location: North Carolina

Re: Seaforth GMT tomorrow

Post by Panerai7 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:04 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:00 pm
r.palace wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:It was cool of Jason to send free GMTs to each of the DWC Admins. Thanks again, Jason.
Boom
He’s really a great guy. No matter what Andrea says.
I got one only because I didn't use Tapatalk. I had it in the cart for 10 minutes cause I had to use a restroom, came back and completed the purchase. Yey!

User avatar
Axelay2003
Posts: 5183
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:03 am
Name: Gerard
Location: City of Oranges, FL

Re: Seaforth GMT tomorrow

Post by Axelay2003 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:47 pm

ericf4 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:54 pm
Nah he won't care. My whole beef is why even bother. Why does he post on social about these going on sale, get people lathered up only to disappoint all?

He should just email people who bought before and he can sell them all without turning potential new clients against the brand. Or here's an idea, produce more. I know he's a one man shop but at a grand a pop and selling shit out in 5 seconds, he should invest in deeper stock. Or better ecomm software.

I may know someone who could help him on the ecomm side :)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Andrea has discussed and argued Jason’s business model in the past. I believe Jason had an idea how many people logged in to purchase Seaforths in the past and should have seriously considered this barometer.

The main problem is with Jason’s business model, IMO. If you decide to only have a small scale operation and you don’t see yourself exploding your business, that’s fine.

You know you will have a very limited number(in this case, 100 watches?), but still market the hell out of it and get everybody’s expectations extremely high.

If you are going to have 4000+ watches ready to go, then market the shit out of it(instagram, FB, etc).

If you will limit to 100, then be up front and lower everybody’s expectations(tell the customers that the chances of getting one will be like winning a lottery) so that if they were not able to purchase one, then the shock would be minimal.

I already know due to past experiences with the ordering process of the Seaforths that I will not be a candidate as a buyer.

Respect for putting out quality pieces and excellent CS.
It's a beautiful world! Gerald.
ImageImage

User avatar
Ryeguy
Posts: 2955
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:03 pm
Name: Chris
Location: Rye

Re: Seaforth GMT tomorrow

Post by Ryeguy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:20 pm

Seppia wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:14 pm
Ryeguy wrote: the SNAFU's suffered by CREPAS with their model that was shipped without a movement ring.

CUT

The micro brand owner puts a ton of faith in their contract manufacturer. Their business depends upon it as evidenced by the thrashing CREPAS received for their dud even after delivering multiple successful models in the past. Their reputation still hasn't recovered.
OT/

Are you talking about the Tactico Anko?
The issue there wasn’t the fact that the watch shipped without movement holder, but the fact that they refused to own their mistake and fix it for those who had a misaligned-shifting dial.
I’m not surprised their reputation hasn’t recovered.
Everybody has a snafu sooner or later, those who own it and take care of their customers are those who stay in business long term.
Yes, I was thinking of the Anko (or whatever it was called) model.

I think there were 2 strikes against CREPAS on this situation. First was not catching the defect prior to it getting to the customer and second was the poor handling of the resolution.

As you say, everyone has a miss now and again. It is how you handle the miss that matters.

Back O/T, I'm not at all bitching that I didn't get a watch. I'm old enough to remember dialing for concert tickets and redialing over and over hoping to get through to buy some. We were excited to get tickets and how quickly the concern sold out was the talk of the crowd for days.

This is no different. The talk of how quickly the concert sold out or how big the mob was on Black Friday morning creates the drama that drives conversation and promotes the brand.

User avatar
BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Posts: 19201
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:22 pm
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Re: Seaforth GMT tomorrow

Post by BSears » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:21 pm

Seppia wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:41 pm
BSears wrote:So if just anybody complains, you’re going to say I’m butt hurt? That’s a whole lot of non sequitur going on but sure, whatever, just make sure you at least preface it “With all due respect...”.
Oh come on
English is not my native language, you understood what I meant
BSears wrote: Anyway, yeah, you all that are whining about missing out on the purchase are pretty much acting like whiners. Not all of you, but some of you. And maybe not necessarily you, but it certainly seems like it’s you. That’s a lot of you’s
I’m so butt hurt that I didn’t even try to buy one.
BSears wrote: And this is absolutely NOTHING like MKII. Not even close. Not even the same ballpark, league, or sport! But nice try there.
That’s not at all what I said. I don’t think anything got lost in translation on this, read again.
I’m not at all equating the two.
BSears wrote: Listen, I’ve been hit and miss on the dee dub for the last year, with spotty and random posts. I’ll just say for now that life has gotten...difficult. So if I seem callous, I don’t intend to be. Perhaps straightforward is more appropriate. Nonetheless, there’s just been a lot I’m putting in perspective so when I see folks upset because they didn’t get to buy one of Jason’s watches on this last batch, I don’t have a whole lot of pity.
I’m very sorry you’re having a tough time, but if you go around calling people whiners and butt hurt, I would expect you can deal with some amount of push back and straight forwardness as well?

I like this place precisely because users don’t put on gloves when expressing their opinions, but it has to go both ways or it isn’t fun anymore.

:cheers:
Gotcha. And yes, I can absolutely deal with push back and straight fordwardness. And I failed to remember and take into account you are not a native English-speaker. We’re good. :thumbsup:
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

Image

RIP Rocky (8/15/05-11/25/16)

User avatar
BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Posts: 19201
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:22 pm
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Re: Seaforth GMT tomorrow

Post by BSears » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:25 pm

ericf4 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:35 pm
BSears wrote:
ericf4 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:55 am
Very cool Jason posted here, that said the whole scenario is a joke. For me, I tried twice and struck out twice. Now I'm done. I gave it a shot. I've never owned a halios and now won't buy one unless it's from a flip as I won't waste my time again on a terrible buying process.

I tend to agree w above comment that Jason knows what he's doing, this isn't the first nor last time this will happen. As such, he will get lots written about his brand. Loved, hated but never ignored sort of scenario it seems.

Shame as as there are plenty of well qualified buyers like me new to the brand who he's pushing away with experiences like this. But, it doesn't matter as the frenzy created will sustain his needs. He doesn't need me or other new clients. He can sell 100 watches a pop with his eyes closed, a terrible buying process etc. Hey, all I can say is I tried, it didn't work and my money goes elsewhere. All good.





Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Wtf is a “well qualified buyer”?? Are you leasing or financing? Oh you mean you could easily spend several hundred dollars on a different luxury item instead of this but tried (twice) to buy this luxury item? That is a pretty douchy statement if I’ve ever read/heard one.
Good to hear from you in typical Brad style. What I meant was that many micros are in the low hundreds and I saw a post where perhaps Jason felt that the higher price would weed people out. My comment was simply about buyers who are ready willing and able. As far as me being douchey, well Brad I'm sure you and I are still very opposite one another. And I'm good with that. Welcome back.



Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Well maybe just shy of typical “Brad” style as it were. :lol: But I’m trying a little harder these days to be less old style and more new style, if that makes any sense. I’m glad to see you can still take a good ribbing, too. I appreciate your clarification as well. :cheers:
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

Image

RIP Rocky (8/15/05-11/25/16)

User avatar
ericf4
(TBD) Penis
Posts: 14436
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:04 am
Contact:

Re: Seaforth GMT tomorrow

Post by ericf4 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:33 pm

Axelay2003 wrote:
ericf4 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:54 pm
Nah he won't care. My whole beef is why even bother. Why does he post on social about these going on sale, get people lathered up only to disappoint all?

He should just email people who bought before and he can sell them all without turning potential new clients against the brand. Or here's an idea, produce more. I know he's a one man shop but at a grand a pop and selling shit out in 5 seconds, he should invest in deeper stock. Or better ecomm software.

I may know someone who could help him on the ecomm side :)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Andrea has discussed and argued Jason’s business model in the past. I believe Jason had an idea how many people logged in to purchase Seaforths in the past and should have seriously considered this barometer.

The main problem is with Jason’s business model, IMO. If you decide to only have a small scale operation and you don’t see yourself exploding your business, that’s fine.

You know you will have a very limited number(in this case, 100 watches?), but still market the hell out of it and get everybody’s expectations extremely high.

If you are going to have 4000+ watches ready to go, then market the shit out of it(instagram, FB, etc).

If you will limit to 100, then be up front and lower everybody’s expectations(tell the customers that the chances of getting one will be like winning a lottery) so that if they were not able to purchase one, then the shock would be minimal.

I already know due to past experiences with the ordering process of the Seaforths that I will not be a candidate as a buyer.

Respect for putting out quality pieces and excellent CS.
Ecomm software needs to account for products in cart. His doesn't it appears. Certainly not the 5 minutes he said it was supposed to. If the cart is abandoned then it releases back to stock. That's how a shopping cart should work.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk



User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 41556
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Seaforth GMT tomorrow

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:39 pm

ericf4 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:33 pm
]Ecomm software needs to account for products in cart. His doesn't it appears. Certainly not the 5 minutes he said it was supposed to. If the cart is abandoned then it releases back to stock. That's how a shopping cart should work.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I have this same problem. The shopify platform requires you to add the apps that do stuff like this to your store. Most of them cost money, and not all of them work. :banghead:

User avatar
ericf4
(TBD) Penis
Posts: 14436
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:04 am
Contact:

Re: Seaforth GMT tomorrow

Post by ericf4 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:51 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
ericf4 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:33 pm
]Ecomm software needs to account for products in cart. His doesn't it appears. Certainly not the 5 minutes he said it was supposed to. If the cart is abandoned then it releases back to stock. That's how a shopping cart should work.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I have this same problem. The shopify platform requires you to add the apps that do stuff like this to your store. Most of them cost money, and not all of them work. :banghead:
That's the problem. Look at other platforms. :)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk


User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 41556
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Seaforth GMT tomorrow

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:53 pm

ericf4 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:51 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
ericf4 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:33 pm
]Ecomm software needs to account for products in cart. His doesn't it appears. Certainly not the 5 minutes he said it was supposed to. If the cart is abandoned then it releases back to stock. That's how a shopping cart should work.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I have this same problem. The shopify platform requires you to add the apps that do stuff like this to your store. Most of them cost money, and not all of them work. :banghead:
That's the problem. Look at other platforms. :)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
The rest suck. Believe me :angryfire:

User avatar
Ryeguy
Posts: 2955
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:03 pm
Name: Chris
Location: Rye

Re: Seaforth GMT tomorrow

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:00 am

I'm not in the E-comm business, but my assumption is those shopify-type platforms work fine for normal buying volumes. Situations such as this where thousands of people are trying to buy a small inventory are not normal and are likely outside the design parameters of the software.

Heck, even Amazon went down on their last "Prime Day", so it isn't just a micro watch maker problem.

My question (again, academic only) is, knowing the software isn't up to task, and knowing the situation on the original Seaforth release, why do it again?

The Machiavellian part of me says it was a calculated move intentially done to create drama and drive conversations on the brand. Again, no different than he Black Friday sales occurring ever year. Maybe it was just done out of convenience - this was the easiest, most established, mechanism and he just went with it.

Either way, in my opinion, it isn't the best go to market strategy given the negative backlash. It isn't like I haven't jumped through hoops to buy a watch I like (I've joined specific forums, used Google translate, etc.), but this "preload PayPal info and hit "enter" at the precise second the virtual doors open isn't for me.

Ultimately, though, Halios isn't trying to sell me a watch. Halios is trying to sell their inventory of watches. To that end, their current practice is successful so, I guess if I were Jason, I might ask myself "why change?".

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 41556
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Seaforth GMT tomorrow

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:41 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:00 am
My question (again, academic only) is, knowing the software isn't up to task, and knowing the situation on the original Seaforth release, why do it again?
Chris, after the first crash Jason talked to his provider of his site if i recall correctly and they guaranteed him it wouldn't happen again. Then it happened a second time, so he changed to shopify. This time it didn't crash, the shopping cart hold didn't work. It seems he has made changes along the way to make it an easier experience.

User avatar
ericf4
(TBD) Penis
Posts: 14436
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:04 am
Contact:

Re: Seaforth GMT tomorrow

Post by ericf4 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:55 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:53 pm
ericf4 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:51 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
ericf4 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:33 pm
]Ecomm software needs to account for products in cart. His doesn't it appears. Certainly not the 5 minutes he said it was supposed to. If the cart is abandoned then it releases back to stock. That's how a shopping cart should work.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I have this same problem. The shopify platform requires you to add the apps that do stuff like this to your store. Most of them cost money, and not all of them work. :banghead:
That's the problem. Look at other platforms. :)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
The rest suck. Believe me :angryfire:
Terry, Thats a statement that frankly i don't agree with. Robust cart software/ Commerce platforms are out there allowing for real time inventory pulls etc. There is a diff between using a "One size fits all" SaaS Model where there may be little to no room for customization, versus an open source product allowing for lots of customization to the merchants needs. Also, its vital that these extensions are vetted, tested for code quality, plagiarism etc. Now i do understand that cost for software licensure and implementation may pose a barrier to some merchants, but there are other platforms that are performant and can create a better user experience. The other downside to a platform like Shopify is that they are "Success based' meaning as a merchant sells more, Shopify takes more. Not a huge deal for a tiny merchant, but for anyone who wants to scale, it certainly not ideal.

If i were a merchant experiencing brisk sales, an in demand product, and wanting to scale,,,,,,i would be looking at the weak link of allowing customers to purchase effortlessly from me. If growing the base isn't that important, perhaps as is would be "good enough".

User avatar
Ryeguy
Posts: 2955
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:03 pm
Name: Chris
Location: Rye

Re: Seaforth GMT tomorrow

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:25 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:41 am
Ryeguy wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:00 am
My question (again, academic only) is, knowing the software isn't up to task, and knowing the situation on the original Seaforth release, why do it again?
Chris, after the first crash Jason talked to his provider of his site if i recall correctly and they guaranteed him it wouldn't happen again. Then it happened a second time, so he changed to shopify. This time it didn't crash, the shopping cart hold didn't work. It seems he has made changes along the way to make it an easier experience.
Yes, makes sense. Plus, I don't mean to hate on the guy at all. As I posted earlier, e-commerce system failure happened to Amazon on their last "Prime Day" event. If it can happen to Amazon, it can certainly happen to anyone.

I do think it is also important to point out that Shopify (or whichever service he used for e-comm.) worked. He sold all his inventory. Just because a few of us weren't able to purchase watches doesn't mean no one was able to.

The reality is probably anything he did (create a list, prioritize former customers, etc.) would leave some people frustrated. In hindsight, the only thing he probably could've done better was to emphasize the fact there were only a handful GMT's made. It may not have eliminated the butt hurt, but maybe it would've smoothed it a little.

Somebody on WUS (in a 665+ post thread - so there goes my Machiavellian side again) said "treat buying a Seaforth GMT like playing the lottery. Be happy if you win, but not surprised or disappointed if you lose."

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 41556
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Seaforth GMT tomorrow

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:32 am

ericf4 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:55 am
toxicavenger wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:53 pm
ericf4 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:51 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
ericf4 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:33 pm
]Ecomm software needs to account for products in cart. His doesn't it appears. Certainly not the 5 minutes he said it was supposed to. If the cart is abandoned then it releases back to stock. That's how a shopping cart should work.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I have this same problem. The shopify platform requires you to add the apps that do stuff like this to your store. Most of them cost money, and not all of them work. :banghead:
That's the problem. Look at other platforms. :)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
The rest suck. Believe me :angryfire:
Terry, Thats a statement that frankly i don't agree with. Robust cart software/ Commerce platforms are out there allowing for real time inventory pulls etc. There is a diff between using a "One size fits all" SaaS Model where there may be little to no room for customization, versus an open source product allowing for lots of customization to the merchants needs. Also, its vital that these extensions are vetted, tested for code quality, plagiarism etc. Now i do understand that cost for software licensure and implementation may pose a barrier to some merchants, but there are other platforms that are performant and can create a better user experience. The other downside to a platform like Shopify is that they are "Success based' meaning as a merchant sells more, Shopify takes more. Not a huge deal for a tiny merchant, but for anyone who wants to scale, it certainly not ideal.

If i were a merchant experiencing brisk sales, an in demand product, and wanting to scale,,,,,,i would be looking at the weak link of allowing customers to purchase effortlessly from me. If growing the base isn't that important, perhaps as is would be "good enough".
I am open ears Eric. Which ones are good? The problem I have ran into is most apps you add to your shopify store are super expensive and not that good. I personally use most free apps so that I transfer that savings down to my customers. If I had to pay for every app I use then my prices would definitely be higher.

Do tell. I am super interested. :salute:

User avatar
ericf4
(TBD) Penis
Posts: 14436
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:04 am
Contact:

Re: Seaforth GMT tomorrow

Post by ericf4 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:44 am

i have a bit of a conflict of interest here due to my work, but i suggest you take a look at things like the Forrester Wave reports, Gartner and the like. They are good resources to help show who leaders in the space are, pros and cons etc. Lots of great info there.

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 41556
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Seaforth GMT tomorrow

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:01 am

ericf4 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:44 am
i have a bit of a conflict of interest here due to my work, but i suggest you take a look at things like the Forrester Wave reports, Gartner and the like. They are good resources to help show who leaders in the space are, pros and cons etc. Lots of great info there.
:cheers:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aztecknight and 1 guest