Name: Jacob

Re: Monta Basel releases just went hot!

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:22 am

Blue. Very unique.

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:34 am

The blue is nice. I like this more than the new 39mm Tudor.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:41 am

Torrid wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:34 am
It's probably a "nicer" watch, but one is backed by Rolex and the other by some guys who sell straps to people who own watches that Rolex makes. It's not really comparable.

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:51 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:41 am
Torrid wrote:
It's probably a "nicer" watch, but one is backed by Rolex and the other by some guys who sell straps to people who own watches that Rolex makes. It's not really comparable.
Definitely a good point.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:55 am

Torrid wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:51 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
Torrid wrote:
Definitely a good point.
This versus some forum micro though... no brainer.

Ruggs
Name: Andrew

Post by Ruggs » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:12 pm

I like these new OKs a lot. I have one of the first gen ones, and it looks like the differences are pretty much all improvements that people on forums/reviews have asked for:

-1700 vs 2350
-12mm vs 13.5
-Lumed Bezel
-Applied indicies all the way around

The only 'downside' is the movement being sellita vs eterna.

The GMT doesn't speak to me the same way. Hopefully these guys will come to the wind up in SF and I can handle one.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:32 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:55 am
Torrid wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:51 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
Torrid wrote:
Definitely a good point.
This versus some forum micro though... no brainer.
But if you compare it to another micro in this price range, for example the MK2 Key West, this watch dominates.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:33 pm

Ruggs wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:12 pm
I like these new OKs a lot. I have one of the first gen ones, and it looks like the differences are pretty much all improvements that people on forums/reviews have asked for:

-1700 vs 2350
-12mm vs 13.5
-Lumed Bezel
-Applied indicies all the way around

The only 'downside' is the movement being sellita vs eterna.

The GMT doesn't speak to me the same way. Hopefully these guys will come to the wind up in SF and I can handle one.
Personally the Sellita is a welcomed change from the Eterna. :cheers:

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:37 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
This is correct.
- Todd

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:58 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:41 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:31 am
$1700 is the right spot for monta.
Ultimately, I'm not certain Monta is necessarily providing a stepping stone watch into a true luxury Swiss brand, so I don't see these micros helping to boost the overall Swiss watch industry.
I can tell you I personally think my Triumph finish wise is one of the best watches at the $1550 price I paid. The micro/swiss luxury watches can't touch this level of case finishing.

I do know Monta has the watches produce in Switzerland. Whether or not all the parts come from that country I am not sure. But they don't do the assembly, their manufacture in Switzerland does. I can tell you I have no idea how they do it at this price point. I have to see it in my hands before I believed their quality was this high. And I am one of the first people who call out companies for stupid pricing. I do not think MK2 and Doxa can hold a flame to them at all. And they are in the same price point.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:07 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:57 am
I like the Skyquest, but as Jacob pointed out earlier, that weird bend in the GMT hand is off putting.

I can see they need it in order to clear the indices, but it looks a bit like third world engineering to me.

If they wanted that dial design, they need to change the pinion length to raise the hands, or slim down the applied indices.
You raise the pinion height you need to raise the crystal height to make up for it if I am not mistaken. Then you are out the 12mm height zone and that is a no go for me.

I am partial to the bent GMT hand. But I love it on the Seiko World Time, and I had it done on my Marcello GMT that had so much lume applied that they would rub the hands. I think it gives it a more 3d look though.

Rolex has done a lot of stuff other companies can't do, so no reason for me to think Monta would do the same.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:08 pm

Chocodove wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:37 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
This is correct.
I know you don't have any love for them also. :salute:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:10 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:46 am
Not to pile on, but isn't this:

Really similar in design to this:
(image credit to bernard Watch)

We (justifiably) bash Ginault for copying the Rolex patented Glidelock clasp. I would expect a similar outcry for this.

IIRC, the Monta pending patent was for the circular friction fit clasp pin. I would expect a patent request for the Glidelock link extension copy to be denied.
I do agree it looks like the Rolex clasp. Maybe once they get more pics out we can see it exactly for what it is.

But Ginault copied everything single thing Rolex did except for the name/lume. So of course they got bashed. Come on Chris, slow down brother. :mrgreen:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:13 pm

Seppia wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:31 pm
matt.wu wrote:They've done an impressive job course-correcting; major kudos for that.
Absolutely true
They now seem a super solid offer for the price, well placed into the 1-5-2.5k void that the ridiculous price increases of all major brands have left open (Omega: “hey but at least our watches are too shiny and too thick now!”).

I really like the explorer styled that Terry has, the diver I’m less a fan, but I’ll be following this brand very closely
I totally agree master Wu. Hell I for one was one of their basher's at first. They even loosely mentioned me in their Worn and Wound podcast about it. :headbang: But their watches were hot shit in person, and everything they said was legit when I checked them out. I have to say their bezel operation is up there with the Pelagos imo. And that is tough to bet.

Andrea, if you ever come out this way you can borrow this watch. It is the perfect everyday watch for me. :thumbsup:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:15 pm

Looks like Monta are releasing more watches. I like the blue with the SS bezel also. I really like the gilt dial also.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gonzomantis
Name: Mike

Post by gonzomantis » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:22 pm

I really like the gilt. I would have been in for one, but I've sworn off preorders.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:43 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Seppia wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:31 pm
matt.wu wrote:They've done an impressive job course-correcting; major kudos for that.
Absolutely true
They now seem a super solid offer for the price, well placed into the 1-5-2.5k void that the ridiculous price increases of all major brands have left open (Omega: “hey but at least our watches are too shiny and too thick now!”).

I really like the explorer styled that Terry has, the diver I’m less a fan, but I’ll be following this brand very closely

Andrea, if you ever come out this way you can borrow this watch. It is the perfect everyday watch for me. :thumbsup:
There you go again, offering enticements to get men to visit you.

Just post on Craigslist and get it over with.

:lol:

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:40 am

I wonder if Scurfa will make a dive bezel for this :think:

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:39 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:07 pm
Ryeguy wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:57 am
I like the Skyquest, but as Jacob pointed out earlier, that weird bend in the GMT hand is off putting.

I can see they need it in order to clear the indices, but it looks a bit like third world engineering to me.

If they wanted that dial design, they need to change the pinion length to raise the hands, or slim down the applied indices.
You raise the pinion height you need to raise the crystal height to make up for it if I am not mistaken. Then you are out the 12mm height zone and that is a no go for me.

I am partial to the bent GMT hand. But I love it on the Seiko World Time, and I had it done on my Marcello GMT that had so much lume applied that they would rub the hands. I think it gives it a more 3d look though.

Rolex has done a lot of stuff other companies can't do, so no reason for me to think Monta would do the same.
The Seiko World Time with the bent GMT hand was a circa late 1960's / early 1970's watch. The GMT hand was also painted a flat, non-reflective color, likely to minimize reflections and pull the eye away from this design element.

Here is a photo for those not aware:
Image credit to Watchopenia

I have no idea where it was positioned in the Seiko catalogue in 1974, but given it was not marked as a Grand Seiko and that it uses the solid, but utilitarian finished, 17 jewel 6117 A or B movement, I'm guessing this model was positioned as an "affordable" World Time watch option. In this case, as an affordable offering, I am OK with the compromise solution of the Z bent GMT hand.

At the luxury level Seiko is perfectly capable of designing a watch which offers applied indices and a straight GMT hand which extends all the way to the rehaut
Image credit AblogtoWatch

Monta had a number of options to make everything fit and retain a reasonable overall watch height:
- Use lower, less bold, applied indices so the GMT hand could clear them (requires a new dial design - $$$)
- Raise the pinion height (and the sapphire height, or maybe just using a box sapphire) (requires a custom order from Sellita - $$$)
- Redesign the case to lower the movement and dial (requires a new mid case design - $$$)
- Put a Z bend in the GMT hand (custom order GMT hand $)

Even lowly Steinhart is able to produce a 2893-2 powered GMT watch with applied indices, a straight GMT hand, and 13mm total watch thickness.

My only point is, if Monta is positioning themselves at the luxury level, why use the least expensive solution to a design issue, and one previously used on a pedestrian level watch? I have no idea if the Z bend was an intentional design goal, but my initial reaction was it looked like something that would be done at the last minute when they realized "Oh shit, it doesn't fit. We have 1,000 dials already. What can we do?"

Intentional or not, that isn't the impression I would want to be implying with my luxury watch design.

It isn't that I don't like Monta. It is just that they are making some decisions I have trouble understanding, both in their business model and their designs.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:49 am

They seem like high-quality watches, and they're pretty cheap. The underside of their glide lock rip off looks better finished than the Rolex version. I think it's inevitable that they're going to need to cut corners somewhere to sell these things at $1700.

That Seiko is infinitely more attractive to me than anything Monta can make.

Bradystraps
Name: Todd

Post by Bradystraps » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:05 am

The blue dial with stainless bezel looks sharp. Very nice.
My eyes are still glues to that gilt version though. Gorgeous!

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:10 am

The irony is I wouldn't be so hung up on the bent GMT hand if there were glaring issues with the rest of the package.

I actually quite like the GMT version, but the bent hand is like a wart on an otherwise beautiful face. I just can't unsee it.

I think the term we used in college was "butter face" - as in, everything is hot, butter face.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:16 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:10 am
The irony is I wouldn't be so hung up on the bent GMT hand if there were glaring issues with the rest of the package.

I actually quite like the GMT version, but the bent hand is like a wart on an otherwise beautiful face. I just can't unsee it.

I think the term we used in college was "butter face" - as in, everything is hot, butter face.
I did a lot of butter faces back in the day.😷😷😷

But I totally get what you are saying. For example in pictures the Triumph didn't do it for me with the different number sizes on the dial. In person it did.

Dynamite_Kid19

Post by Dynamite_Kid19 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:54 am

Hodinkee has a nice write up. Still wish there were more shots of the bracelet and clasp.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:56 pm

Dynamite_Kid19 wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:54 am
Hodinkee has a nice write up. Still wish there were more shots of the bracelet and clasp.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Here you go https://www.instagram.com/p/BgtIJNgnE99 ... montawatch

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bgoezitnn6z ... montawatch