Discussion of microbrand watches
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Re: Monta Basel releases just went hot!

Post by toxicavenger » Sat May 19, 2018 12:46 pm

Ruggs wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 11:25 am
Saw the new Monta lineup at the W&W thing in SF yesterday. Overall I was very impressed.

- As respects the new Oceanking it’s clearly a winner. The new clasp is outstanding, dimensions are perfect to me, applied indicies all the way around, lumed bezel, etc. I liked the inky black dial more than the gilt, but I’ve never been a huge fan of gilt. They didn’t have blue prototypes, but he did say that the production steel bezel will be far superior to the one that’s been floating around IG. That one is aluminum with printed numerals, and the production one will be brushed steel with etched numerals. In his words, “It will not suck”.

- The sky quest looks great as well. Again I was drawn to the standard black dial, but more because the GMT hand on that one is painted black so the red pointer feels like it’s floating a bit. This also makes the bend pretty hard to notice if you aren’t looking for it.

As respects the ratcheting clasps, apparently the supplier of the ceramic bearings that it uses couldn’t give them enough to equip all the watches with it. So they made the decision just to put them on the new OKs. They’re trying to get more but no idea if/when that will happen.

The guys that run it are great guys. Customer service focused, and very keen on providing a top end product.

Now I just have to figure out which one I “need”. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had the same impression when I meet them last year. These dudes are legit, and their watches rock!

Glad you had fun.

Hey was Oak and Oscar and MK2 there?

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Post by Jeep99dad » Sat May 19, 2018 1:04 pm

Ruggs wrote:Saw the new Monta lineup at the W&W thing in SF yesterday. Overall I was very impressed.

- As respects the new Oceanking it’s clearly a winner. The new clasp is outstanding, dimensions are perfect to me, applied indicies all the way around, lumed bezel, etc. I liked the inky black dial more than the gilt, but I’ve never been a huge fan of gilt. They didn’t have blue prototypes, but he did say that the production steel bezel will be far superior to the one that’s been floating around IG. That one is aluminum with printed numerals, and the production one will be brushed steel with etched numerals. In his words, “It will not suck”.

- The sky quest looks great as well. Again I was drawn to the standard black dial, but more because the GMT hand on that one is painted black so the red pointer feels like it’s floating a bit. This also makes the bend pretty hard to notice if you aren’t looking for it.

As respects the ratcheting clasps, apparently the supplier of the ceramic bearings that it uses couldn’t give them enough to equip all the watches with it. So they made the decision just to put them on the new OKs. They’re trying to get more but no idea if/when that will happen.

The guys that run it are great guys. Customer service focused, and very keen on providing a top end product.

I agree. Met with Justin last year and had the same impression.
The bezel company working on the SS bezel of the blue model is the same company that makes the bezels for Tudor. Looking forwards to seeing the Monta blue. I may change my preorder, currently guilt/ceramic OK.
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

Ruggs
Name: Andrew

Post by Ruggs » Sat May 19, 2018 1:34 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 12:46 pm
Ruggs wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 11:25 am
Saw the new Monta lineup at the W&W thing in SF yesterday. Overall I was very impressed.

I had the same impression when I meet them last year. These dudes are legit, and their watches rock!

Glad you had fun.

Hey was Oak and Oscar and MK2 there?
Didn't see either O&O or MKII, but I did see Jason from Halios and talked to him for a bit at a red bar thing last night. He had on the seaforth gmt proto... that thing nails it. :thumbsup:

What else...Raven's setup looked great. The endeavors are really nice but too big for me. I'm in for a gen2 Trekker already...The new oris Ti Aquis looked better in person than it does in pics/renders. Dial is darker in real life. The clipperton LE dial is awesome... Vero's stuff was cool. The GMT works well. If they had a non-pvd version I'd be more interested. Their field watches are really small at 36mm.

Ruggs
Name: Andrew

Post by Ruggs » Sun May 27, 2018 9:13 am

OG oceanking just listed on WUS for a pretty good price.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-mon ... 14021.html

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sun May 27, 2018 9:27 am

Ruggs wrote:OG oceanking just listed on WUS for a pretty good price.

I wonder what the difference is between his and the new ones?

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sun May 27, 2018 9:31 am

Ruggs wrote:OG oceanking just listed on WUS for a pretty good price.

It is listed here as well.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sun May 27, 2018 10:31 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:45 pm
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/monta ... g-hands-on

Original Oceanking with Eterna movt in top pic. New version with Sellita in bottom pic
Here you go

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sun May 27, 2018 10:36 am

toxicavenger wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:45 pm
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/monta ... g-hands-on

Original Oceanking with Eterna movt in top pic. New version with Sellita in bottom pic
Here you go
Thanks T.

Nietzsche_Darko

Post by Nietzsche_Darko » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:43 am

Did you guys see that WatchTime wrote up a review a few weeks back?

https://www.watchtime.com/featured/mont ... st-straps/

Jeep99dad
Grand-père

Post by Jeep99dad » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:23 pm

Seppia wrote:Man the triumph looks good.
If anybody ever wants to flip a grey dial/red text on bracelet hit me up.
You can have mine Image

Jeep99dad
Grand-père

Post by Jeep99dad » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:36 am

Seppia wrote:I can’t now Brice, just depleted my watch fund from the next 15 years on my recent 10460m purchase
:(
That is a great purchase. Congrats ImageImageImage

tyd450
Name: Tyler

Post by tyd450 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:32 am

Anyone get the new oceanking?

Jeep99dad
Grand-père

Post by Jeep99dad » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:50 am

tyd450 wrote:Anyone get the new oceanking?
Yeah. I preordered the Monta blue OK

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:11 am

tyd450 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:32 am
Anyone get the new oceanking?
Andrew (Ruggs) on here has one.
- Todd