Monta Basel releases just went hot!

Discussion of microbrand watches
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Re: Monta Basel releases just went hot!

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:45 pm

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/monta ... g-hands-on

Original Oceanking with Eterna movt in top pic. New version with Sellita in bottom pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dynamite_Kid19

Post by Dynamite_Kid19 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:26 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Dynamite_Kid19 wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:54 am
Hodinkee has a nice write up. Still wish there were more shots of the bracelet and clasp.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Here you go https://www.instagram.com/p/BgtIJNgnE99 ... montawatch

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bgoezitnn6z ... montawatch
That is a pretty nice setup.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:39 am

Dynamite_Kid19 wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:26 am
toxicavenger wrote:
Dynamite_Kid19 wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:54 am
Hodinkee has a nice write up. Still wish there were more shots of the bracelet and clasp.

Here you go https://www.instagram.com/p/BgtIJNgnE99 ... montawatch

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bgoezitnn6z ... montawatch
That is a pretty nice setup.

It is, but call me simple, I am fine with just a spring bar instead. One less thing to worry about.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:41 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:45 pm

Original Oceanking with Eterna movt in top pic. New version with Sellita in bottom pic
That bottom one looks a little "value engineered" to me. Could just be the picture, but it doesn't look as nice as the original.

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:53 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:45 pm

That bottom one looks a little "value engineered" to me. Could just be the picture, but it doesn't look as nice as the original.
I like they thinner model and the new sapphire. I'll snag one once they start getting flipped. My OK gets worn all the time. It's cheap enough that I don't care if I ding it but it's nice enough that it makes me care less about my more expensive watches.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Dynamite_Kid19

Post by Dynamite_Kid19 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:31 pm

I have to admit, the more I look and read opinions, the more drawn in I am getting. The blue really calls to me. I've wanted a Tudor Pelagos but this could scratch that itch in both colors with money to spare.

Was the bezel lumed on the Gen 1 Eterna model?

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:46 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:10 am
The irony is I wouldn't be so hung up on the bent GMT hand if there were glaring issues with the rest of the package.

I actually quite like the GMT version, but the bent hand is like a wart on an otherwise beautiful face. I just can't unsee it.

I think the term we used in college was "butter face" - as in, everything is hot, butter face.
I did a lot of butter faces back in the day.ImageImageImage

So many good zingers possible here.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:56 pm

Had anyone tried the Oceanking on an Isofrane?
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:12 pm

Dynamite_Kid19 wrote:I have to admit, the more I look and read opinions, the more drawn in I am getting. The blue really calls to me. I've wanted a Tudor Pelagos but this could scratch that itch in both colors with money to spare.

Was the bezel lumed on the Gen 1 Eterna model?

No

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:06 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:56 pm
I dont' think so. Most of them use the stock rubber strap. And it is a really nice strap, so maybe that is why someone hasn't tried it yet.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:33 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
I dont' think so. Most of them use the stock rubber strap. And it is a really nice strap, so maybe that is why someone hasn't tried it yet.
Nothing is more comfortable than an Isofrane, though.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:59 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
Nothing is more comfortable than an Isofrane, except a nato.
Exactly!

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:04 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:33 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
Everest rubber strap is :salute:

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:16 am

CGSshorty wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
If I had a 20mm iso, I'd probably use it in lieu of the stock rubber. The stock strap is nice, but the keepers are too big, so the strap end constantly comes out of it. Unfortunately, isofrane seems to be one of the only rubbers that doesn't have this problem.

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:48 am

streetracer101 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:16 am
CGSshorty wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
If I had a 20mm iso, I'd probably use it in lieu of the stock rubber. The stock strap is nice, but the keepers are too big, so the strap end constantly comes out of it. Unfortunately, isofrane seems to be one of the only rubbers that doesn't have this problem.

Isofrane is the only rubber strap I’ve ever used that the keepers actually do stay still.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:44 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:04 pm
CGSshorty wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:33 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
Everest rubber strap is :salute:
So many choices in straps are more comfortable than Iso

alund
Name: Alan

Post by alund » Tue May 08, 2018 4:02 am

I asked Justin at Monta if they had any comparison shots of and Ocean King and a Tudor Black Bay. Below is what they sent me as I wanted to see how they looked against one another

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue May 08, 2018 6:36 am

Head on the Tudor looks so much better. Side view it looks so much worse. The 41mm BB mid case design sucks SO BAD.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Tue May 08, 2018 6:54 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 6:36 am
Head on the Tudor looks so much better. Side view it looks so much worse. The 41mm BB mid case design sucks SO BAD.
I have to agree with Jacob on this one. The Monta looks almost Seiko SKX007-like having the rounded lugs. The Tudor has that crisp, polished bevel which appears more precise.

I also agree the Tudor BB looks ridiculously slab sided. That said, the polish on the Tudor looks much better. The Monta seems to have a bit of orange-peel effect, especially on the left hand case side and lug where the Tudor appears uniform and smooth. Hard to say, though, as the Monta also appears to have a bunch of dust on it, so it could just be smudges.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue May 08, 2018 6:56 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 6:54 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
I have to agree with Jacob on this one. The Monta looks almost Seiko SKX007-like having the rounded lugs. The Tudor has that crisp, polished bevel which appears more precise.

I also agree the Tudor BB looks ridiculously slab sided. That said, the polish on the Tudor looks much better. The Monta seems to have a bit of orange-peel effect, especially on the left hand case side and lug where the Tudor appears uniform and smooth. Hard to say, though, as the Monta also appears to have a bunch of dust on it, so it could just be smudges.
Even so, there's zero doubt about which watch I'd rather have 7 years from now. In any case, the BB58 is better than either of these.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue May 08, 2018 8:13 am

Ryeguy wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:

Its a prototype watch. So I am sure the delivered version who be even nicer. Like my Triumph was. :thumbsup:

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:17 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:

Even so, there's zero doubt about which watch I'd rather have 7 years from now. In any case, the BB58 is better than either of these.
The bb58 looks to be the one everyone else should strive for.
The montas don't photo well. They have intricate cases that are very dimensional and photo poorly, but they look great in real life.
While I'd take a 58 over an OP any day, it's also more than double the price.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Wed May 16, 2018 8:47 am

streetracer101 wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
Ryeguy wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:

The bb58 looks to be the one everyone else should strive for.
The montas don't photo well. They have intricate cases that are very dimensional and photo poorly, but they look great in real life.
While I'd take a 58 over an OP any day, it's also more than double the price.

That “photo poorly” is a very real thing. My Vertex is amazing in person, but it just doesn’t convey in photos. On the flip side; I found the Pelagos really nice in photos, but it seems less so in person.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Wed May 16, 2018 3:22 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:47 am
My Vertex is amazing in person, but it just doesn’t convey in photos.
:naughty:

Ruggs
Name: Andrew

Post by Ruggs » Sat May 19, 2018 11:25 am

Saw the new Monta lineup at the W&W thing in SF yesterday. Overall I was very impressed.

- As respects the new Oceanking it’s clearly a winner. The new clasp is outstanding, dimensions are perfect to me, applied indicies all the way around, lumed bezel, etc. I liked the inky black dial more than the gilt, but I’ve never been a huge fan of gilt. They didn’t have blue prototypes, but he did say that the production steel bezel will be far superior to the one that’s been floating around IG. That one is aluminum with printed numerals, and the production one will be brushed steel with etched numerals. In his words, “It will not suck”.

- The sky quest looks great as well. Again I was drawn to the standard black dial, but more because the GMT hand on that one is painted black so the red pointer feels like it’s floating a bit. This also makes the bend pretty hard to notice if you aren’t looking for it.

As respects the ratcheting clasps, apparently the supplier of the ceramic bearings that it uses couldn’t give them enough to equip all the watches with it. So they made the decision just to put them on the new OKs. They’re trying to get more but no idea if/when that will happen.

The guys that run it are great guys. Customer service focused, and very keen on providing a top end product.

Now I just have to figure out which one I “need”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk